The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

On 8/22/2022 at 5:33 AM, 52-80 said:

the roads of thailand are a great place to show off that 250mph+ top speed.  ive seen ferraris roam around saigon before... if ya wanna flaunt ur wealth, why not gold coat a G wagon?

even murdered out BOSS plate bugatti isn't as douchey as a gold plated gwagon. 

On 8/22/2022 at 5:33 PM, 52-80 said:

if ya wanna flaunt ur wealth, why not gold coat a G wagon?

Gold coating has become far too accessible. Plenty of gold coated C-class Mercedes running around Thailand, there's no cachet to gold any more. Gotta find the next way to show that you have way too much money.

Some larger pics of Bugatti:

bugatti3.thumb.jpg.43e56db095f0321c342c450856484ba4.jpg bugatti6.thumb.jpg.13c850aaa4c2e7be0e1459f1d32c0d38.jpg

bugatti4.thumb.jpg.340519439ea3a421d41aea8fcf15d50f.jpg  bugatti5.thumb.jpg.59c0498d87c601c8bc0577e720d70d0b.jpg

bugatti2.thumb.jpg.7c4ffb960a9a0ba0386c81c7d5838f73.jpg

bugatti1.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.porschecoloradosprings.com/vehicle-details/used-1990-porsche-singer-vehicle-design-911-classic-colorado-springs-co-id-48524940

image.jpeg.b07551ca5f04b6800468a34112f9d1e7.jpeg

Don’t see a Singer in the wild very often. I was down there the other day and drove by and saw it. Very fucking cool. They also had a 997 3RS 4.0. 

Also relevant (soon) after a bunch of bullshit back and forth my 911 should land late Oct or early nov

image.thumb.jpeg.55f1cd796d947ed08118be7da4e6cdbd.jpeg

Edited by 936horn
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1

On 8/24/2022 at 12:56 AM, Gravy Train said:

Sweet Montana plates, bro.  Taxation game on point.

Have a client currently getting criminally prosecuted by the state for buying a vehicle and registering it in Montana to avoid sales tax. His plates are what got him looked at because they are auditing out of state registrations.

28 minutes ago, Brew said:

Have a client currently getting criminally prosecuted by the state for buying a vehicle and registering it in Montana to avoid sales tax. His plates are what got him looked at because they are auditing out of state registrations.

Seems like they’ve really tightened it up over the last few years.  Have to think it’d still be way cheaper to buy an acre there and register it “legitimately”. 

4 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Someone sent me this, this AM.  I don’t like to get into how people spend their money, but this seems absurd to me. Maybe they are all on 36 month loans…

Not a single one of those is less than 72 month term. That video almost seems like parody it’s so wild. 

17 minutes ago, 936horn said:

Not a single one of those is less than 72 month term. That video almost seems like parody it’s so wild. 

Since I can’t edit - the wildest one is the receptionist looking lady driving the grand wag series 3. We looked at those for my wife until we realized it’s $110k Stellantis product lol

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

That can’t be real, and how much is that dealership paying these employees?

You don’t think that’s real?  I can look up and down the street and lose count on the Denali/KR 250 or RR/KR 250 combos. I’d hate to guess what the average is, but I can tell you I bring it way down, and that these guys, while generally well to do, aren’t shelling out 150-175k in cash every few years.   

7 minutes ago, 936horn said:

Probably not enough for Joe Bob to have $2500/mo in car notes

Another $2500 on the mortgage (or better an equities portfolio) every month would be huge for these young adults.  I’m curious what happens when they all turn 65…

anyhow, wrong thread to be bitching about the bad side of cars.  Carry on. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
9 hours ago, fattyflattie said:
Someone sent me this, this AM.  I don’t like to get into how people spend their money, but this seems absurd to me. Maybe they are all on 36 month loans…

That's insanity. None of them can afford that shit. We're fucked.

It’s why a good portion of the population is living paycheck to paycheck. In all fairness, some also have bad credit and have to pay more.  

But I’m here to see the cool cars and live vicariously through others.

Edited by Mdhorn

Heard an ad on AZ radio years back, still sticks in my head for how ridiculous it was. Shop was one of those that puts horrendous 24-30" rimzzzz on yo Escalade.

"Is your bad credit preventing you from getting the rims and tires you deserve?"

Related, but ad wasn't for this shop (I also don't recommend this shop after trying them twice for my e46m3):

cullinan.thumb.png.cf90fe4f0474869d6c699225b1cddd79.png

That TikTok blows my mind.  The newest car I’ve ever owned in my life is a 2006. Bought it new then and it still runs fine so there’s no reason I shouldn’t still have it today.   I like nice cars and I occasionally get a little envious in a friend’s new ride. But a car payment is WAY down the list behind a lot of other financial priorities.  Even after meeting the most of my financial goals, at this point it’s almost like a badge of honor to have one car at about 300,000 miles and another at 260,000 miles.  I’m due for a new one soon because my youngest will start driving in about a year. If it wasn’t for that I wouldn’t be looking.  

• Hook 'Em 3

I used to care a lot more about cars than I do now. Too many other priorities these days that don't include a car payment. Regardless, I'd never be okay with $1500/month for a depreciating asset.

Not even sure what I'll get next. Maybe something like a used Tacoma or 4Runner.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fat Bastard said:

These aren’t depreciating assets anymore (at least for the very short term). I’ve been offered $20k more for my amg than what I bought it for new <2 years ago. Fucking crazy. 

Yeah, but if you've bought off the lot in the last year, you're jumping off point is high.  If you ordered (and didn't get killed on value markup), you can make some $$. \

I've been watching for a new truck for awhile. It's starting to soften ever so slightly. 

That TikTok blows my mind.  The newest car I’ve ever owned in my life is a 2006. Bought it new then and it still runs fine so there’s no reason I shouldn’t still have it today.   I like nice cars and I occasionally get a little envious in a friend’s new ride. But a car payment is WAY down the list behind a lot of other financial priorities.  Even after meeting the most of my financial goals, at this point it’s almost like a badge of honor to have one car at about 300,000 miles and another at 260,000 miles.  I’m due for a new one soon because my youngest will start driving in about a year. If it wasn’t for that I wouldn’t be looking.  
I'd bet that every single person in that video has significant negative equity from their last vehicle tacked on to those car notes.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 years ago I bought a two year old A6 with 14K miles on it for about $25K less than new. I have loved it. There have been a couple of pricey repairs along the way (motor and transmission mounts, some cooling system parts that wore out, brake jobs suck) but overall I think it was money well spent because it’s great to drive and has a kickass stereo and didn’t break the bank.

Now that it’s almost at 100K miles I’m getting the itch to replace it. I really want something with CarPlay in it. But I don’t love the new A6 designs. My first car was a beater Mercedes and I always said I would own another, so I’m looking at lightly used E and CLS class. But damn if MB doesn’t make it annoying with all the models and trim levels. I can’t figure out which ones I should be looking at.

I don’t care about max horsepower. I live in a city. But I don’t want anything anemic: the 3.0 over the 2.0 A6 was a no brainer. I do want high end audio and a great interior.

Can any of you Benz experts weigh in?

I'd stick with the E class, the C class stuff always seems cheap and breakable.

I've had E63's but the E300/350's I've ridden in have always been nice and seemed to have plenty of power.

I drove Ima's 2019 E63 AMG station wagon and it's fucking insane. Probably the fastest car I've ever driven. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, blacklab said:

no idea, haven't kept up since I switched over to toyota trucks.

Even if they have the same chasis, the C's will have cheaper components and plastic instead of metal in various places.

CLS is not a C.  it's a higher end E with a coupe roof. 

8 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

8 years ago I bought a two year old A6 with 14K miles on it for about $25K less than new. I have loved it. There have been a couple of pricey repairs along the way (motor and transmission mounts, some cooling system parts that wore out, brake jobs suck) but overall I think it was money well spent because it’s great to drive and has a kickass stereo and didn’t break the bank.

Now that it’s almost at 100K miles I’m getting the itch to replace it. I really want something with CarPlay in it. But I don’t love the new A6 designs. My first car was a beater Mercedes and I always said I would own another, so I’m looking at lightly used E and CLS class. But damn if MB doesn’t make it annoying with all the models and trim levels. I can’t figure out which ones I should be looking at.

I don’t care about max horsepower. I live in a city. But I don’t want anything anemic: the 3.0 over the 2.0 A6 was a no brainer. I do want high end audio and a great interior.

Can any of you Benz experts weigh in?

I'm gonna keep on buying pristine used black 2008-2009 MB E350s at under 50k miles for the rest of my life if I can find them.  Two so far.  Seriously great model of a car. 

• Like 1