The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

9 hours ago, 936horn said:

Yeah the color is beyond even my expectations. Here in Denver we have enough sun I can drive year round but the summers turn into blocks of rubber under 40 degrees or so. 

Are you going to drive it at all in these upcoming months?  P-Zero PZ4s can start to experience compound cracking below 45 degrees F.

There's a story that went viral last year of a kid in Canada who took delivery of a new RS3 on PZ4s and briefly drove them in the winter, ignoring all warnings to mount winter wheels/tires.  That experiment didn't last long:

28z04yo1xfg81.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

• Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Gravy Train said:

Are you going to drive it at all in these upcoming months?  P-Zero PZ4s can start to experience compound cracking below 45 degrees F.

There's a story that went viral last year of a kid in Canada who took delivery of a new RS3 on PZ4s and briefly drove them in the winter, ignoring all warnings to mount winter wheels/tires.  That experiment didn't last long:

28z04yo1xfg81.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

Yes I am - I didn’t make that very clear I put Michelin Alpins on this week and put the p zeros in winter storage with the dealer. Summers in cold temps are not something to fuck around with esp. in a rwd car with a rear weight bias and lots of torque lol

• 3 weeks later...

Motherfucker, just heard that Audi has stopped all Audi Exclusive paint jobs for MY 2023, which includes my car since it's not in production yet.  So either I change the color combo or I'm not getting it.

I like Ultra Blue, but my current S6 is Sepang Blue and I wanted something different.  Nardo is boring.  Maybe Daytona Gray?  Ugh

• Rage+1 1

...or you could pause your order, as '23 allocations are just about finished with in the order pipeline.  Shift yours to '24 and opt for the RS6 Performance.  You might kick yourself for seeing this option knowing your build is so close to MY24:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a42086418/2024-audi-rs6-avant-rs7-performance/
2024-audi-rs6-performance-studio-side-16

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 2

I suppose Sebring Black is the only answer?  Kinda reminds me of how Panther Black took on a purplish hue, but only in the sun, and that dimension really comes out when the car is clean
73a621b3fc34680942412b5033db04ef.jpg
Panther on a C7.5
cRPp1fn.jpg
I do not like black cars. Never have. And the Performance package is disappointing, with the exception of those wheels. You get way more performance with a Stage I flash.

I think I'm just gonna go Daytona Gray and go for the sleeper look. And find some of those Performance wheels.

I don't like black cars either, but the blue flake in Sebring seems compelling to me and is an RS-exclusive paint.  Love Audi's blue paints, especially Estoril and Navarra, but Ultra is too bright.  

Also agree you're going to get more power out of an APR flash (or future DS1) on that car.  The Performance model doesn't represent any hardware changes to the powertrain, just 2# more boost out of the factory tune.  I do anticipate changes elsewhere on the car, beyond interior trims and wheels, like DRC suspension.  I'm not sure the press has all the details on this yet. 

8 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
51 minutes ago, G650 said:
No that's just the paint with polymer coating

Nice. Not sure i want a matte car, but I've considered matte Xpel wrap.

It's my first satin car, figured I'd give it a whirl. Hopefully I have it by next week

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Question for the group -- I have a 2018 suburban with 75K miles that I love and has been great.  I just found out the transmission is shot and has to be replaced.  I've been looking at new suburbans and was thinking about trading in anyway.  Does it make more sense to pay to have the transmission replaced then trade in or trade in as is?

You love the old one but are / were thinking about trading it? If you love it, replace the tranny and keep it. You might not love the new one.  If you're trading it, do a cost / benefit eval on it....my guess is that you'd be better off trading it if it was completely functional.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Okie State said:

Why the fuck is the transmission shit at 75K?

My mechanic is telling me bad luck -- basically it's rare but sometimes they shit the bed.  I talked to GM warranty people and a few service managers here in Austin and they're telling me that, even though it's out of warranty GM will likely cover at least 20% of the repair cost if I get it done at the dealer.  As to selling / trading in now or getting fixed first the service managers I spoke with are telling me it's likely a wash.    

Question for the group -- I have a 2018 suburban with 75K miles that I love and has been great.  I just found out the transmission is shot and has to be replaced.  I've been looking at new suburbans and was thinking about trading in anyway.  Does it make more sense to pay to have the transmission replaced then trade in or trade in as is?
What the fuck? Have you abused it in some way?

Buy a Sequoia.

What the fuck? Have you abused it in some way?

Buy a Sequoia.

The Sequoia is now a no go if you have little kids. For some reason, they changed the second row seats from sliders to access the 3rd row to seats you have to flip forward. As a result, you can’t have car seats installed if you want to access the 3rd row.

10 hours ago, Okie State said:

Why the fuck is the transmission shit at 75K?

This is way more common than you think on later model GM trucks with the 6 or 8 speed.  My 2016 Sierra trans shit the bed at 75k miles.  Torque converter starts eating itself up which spreads metal through the fluid which in turn FODs out the trans.  GM covered $1500 of the $5500 cost for an OEM replacement, and that was only after I fought with GM Corporate. 

• Rage+1 2

26 minutes ago, Assman said:

This is way more common than you think on later model GM trucks with the 6 or 8 speed.  My 2016 Sierra trans shit the bed at 75k miles.  Torque converter starts eating itself up which spreads metal through the fluid which in turn FODs out the trans.  GM covered $1500 of the $5500 cost for an OEM replacement, and that was only after I fought with GM Corporate. 

Yeah the 6 speeds have been shit for awhile.  Knocking on wood furiously but our 10 has been smooth as silk. Hoping it stays that way.  

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

The Sequoia is now a no go if you have little kids. For some reason, they changed the second row seats from sliders to access the 3rd row to seats you have to flip forward. As a result, you can’t have car seats installed if you want to access the 3rd row.

And a Chevy is a no go if it's transmission is dead at 75k.  Holy fuck, for 80k+, you'd think Chevy could figure this out.

10 hours ago, Assman said:

As my 2016 Silverado sits at 55k miles, this information does not please me...

3 hours ago, morehornsepower said:

As my 2016 Silverado sits at 55k miles, this information does not please me...

I've got something like 950k miles in modern GM's with one trans failure at 185k on a farm truck that we treated like a mule.  I would take them over either of the other domestic slush boxes any day.  Add Honda to that list, too. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 12/22/2022 at 1:59 PM, Gale Snoats said:

My mechanic is telling me bad luck -- basically it's rare but sometimes they shit the bed.  I talked to GM warranty people and a few service managers here in Austin and they're telling me that, even though it's out of warranty GM will likely cover at least 20% of the repair cost if I get it done at the dealer.  As to selling / trading in now or getting fixed first the service managers I spoke with are telling me it's likely a wash.    

id find a good transmission shop. lots of them in houston 

On 12/23/2022 at 12:27 PM, fattyflattie said:

Add Honda to that list, too. 

That hasn't been our experience. We had a Civic with close to 200K and when we finally sold it we still had the original clutch and all. Great little car. We have other models now and both with over 100K. Keep them maintained and we'll see how far we get.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

That hasn't been our experience. We had a Civic with close to 200K and when we finally sold it we still had the original clutch and all. Great little car. We have other models now and both with over 100K. Keep them maintained and we'll see how far we get.

They are great cars. Their automatics are not on par with the rest of the vehicle, imo.  Think we’re 2 for 2 with bad trans (wife’s premarraige cars)  She’s got about 350k in GMs she hasn’t fucked up yet, though. 

I don’t need a new car but wife thinks I should pull the trigger. Have a ‘15 suburban with 110k miles. We’re about to drive to New Mexico and she thinks I should go get a new with 4wd. Just seems like bottom is about to drop out of car market and waiting is the wise choice. Am I wrong? Should I just go do it?