The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

If the Suburban is properly maintained and has no issues, why buy a new one? Do the math for the insurance difference for two months or something to illustrate just one potential area of savings and perhaps that will slow the BUY BUY BUY momentum long enough for you to figure out how the market will go and what you'd like to do. If you're driving from Texas to NM it's not like you're going to New York or Canada with loads of miles round trip.

OTOH, breaking down while traveling is not pleasant, but it does build character.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kmac30 said:

I don’t need a new car but wife thinks I should pull the trigger. Have a ‘15 suburban with 110k miles. We’re about to drive to New Mexico and she thinks I should go get a new with 4wd. Just seems like bottom is about to drop out of car market and waiting is the wise choice. Am I wrong? Should I just go do it?

You’re right, she’s wrong. 

• Like 1

I don’t need a new car but wife thinks I should pull the trigger. Have a ‘15 suburban with 110k miles. We’re about to drive to New Mexico and she thinks I should go get a new with 4wd. Just seems like bottom is about to drop out of car market and waiting is the wise choice. Am I wrong? Should I just go do it?

Just rent a newer SUV for your trip. Much cheaper than a new car.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, kmac30 said:

the bottom is about to fall out 

13 minutes ago, midtown said:

How's that car held up? I've heard there have been some issues. Is it the voodoo or something else?
[mention=2999]uscatx[/mention]

Bought in Oct ‘19 with 2,300 miles and I’ve put another 50,000 on it with one set of brake pads, a bunch of $130 oil changes, 3 new set of Pilots, an axle and trans fluid change and zero other issues.  It has some annoying rear end gear whine but the dealer and forums say that’s just how it is.  Oil burn is zero to 1/2 qt of oil between changes depending on how hard I’m driving.  The Voodoo seems improved from ‘18 on and either burns tons of oil and explodes in 20k miles or lasts forever.  The exhaust note from 5k-8k rpm remains undefeated in American cars.  

Overall I’d give it 9/10 for raw driving experience and maybe a 7/10 as a daily.  The tramlining, tire eating, splitter scraping and 5.0 bros wanting to race you are a little annoying but at its core it’s just a fairly easy to live with Mustang.

• Like 1

Wish I had that rev line but even 7200 on my Coyote is pretty crazy and hard to get to sometimes. I do notice the tramlining and it's two hands on the wheel when I'm not shifting. The sport cups I have are nuts. So soft and they pick up every rock. Too expensive not to track so I either go to a different tire or have two sets of wheels. I'm having a few issues with the tremec which is why I asked.

The market will obviously fall. The question is when. Paying $10-20k over sticker for Tahoes and Escalades can’t last forever. How long until supply increases to bring things back to normal? Wish I knew.

The lease on my wife’s X7 is about up and our only options are to 1) order something new at MSRP and wait 4-12 months, 2) go with the very slim pickings on the lot and pay over MSRP for less than ideal or 3) just pay the residual and wait this market out. Looks like we’re going with option 3 at this point. The residual price on the X7, which was leased pre-pandemic, is ~$15k below current market price.

6 hours ago, Bob Lives! said:

The market will obviously fall. The question is when. Paying $10-20k over sticker for Tahoes and Escalades can’t last forever. How long until supply increases to bring things back to normal? Wish I knew.

The lease on my wife’s X7 is about up and our only options are to 1) order something new at MSRP and wait 4-12 months, 2) go with the very slim pickings on the lot and pay over MSRP for less than ideal or 3) just pay the residual and wait this market out. Looks like we’re going with option 3 at this point. The residual price on the X7, which was leased pre-pandemic, is ~$15k below current market price.

Consider talking to your dealer. My lease on my X5 was up in February last year and my plan was your option 3. I had been wanting an X5M, but didn't want to leave the 20k difference between the residual and the current market value of the X5 in the table. The GM of my dealer called me and asked me to reconsider. We ended up working a deal where they gave me market value for the X5 and put me into the X5M at MSRP. I walked away pretty happy with that.

On 1/7/2023 at 9:50 AM, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Anyone own the 2023 Sequoia?

I am NOT a car guy, but I am experiencing serious lust.

Been looking at them as well. I’m sure my wife is going to start mentioning trading sooner rather than later and the Sequoia’s have piqued my interest. We saw a new LX600 Saturday and she commented on it, but I like the Toyota front end better.

New Sequoia looks great, I’d buy one in a heartbeat.  Used Landcruisers have veered off into collectible/Bring A Trailer land so I’m not sure I’d bother with that as a family hauler.  We did about 80k hassle free miles on a second gen Sequioa and I still kinda miss that thing. 

16 hours ago, Gravy Train said:

Or a LX470, if you're into body-on-frame relics without Apple CarPlay but you can put 300,000mi on because driving anything more risky or engaging would be one step too far?

I was referring to a late model 200, not a 100.  I have a 100 but don't want to daily drive it.  The 200 is quite nice, though.

If you use a really really good infotainment system, its hard to ever step back below that. 

Its like ‘normal’ TVs appeared all fine and well…until you watch HD for the first time then SD just seems like utter shit forever. 

Sister has a current year Lexus RX350 or whatever and that system is like…complete annoyance level of operations

Edited by 52-80

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

If you use a really really good infotainment system, its hard to ever step back below that. 

Its like ‘normal’ TVs appeared all fine and well…until you watch HD for the first time then SD just seems like utter shit forever. 

Sister has a current year Lexus RX350 or whatever and that system is like…complete annoyance level of operations

I have one television in my house and it's from 2006, so that's pretty much my perspective on that

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Damnit 650, you just pull from and endless bag of humblebrags.  Winning the game of life, sir. 

I bet it's 32" and hidden behind a mahogany armoire.

its like how the old-rich have a giant house but the garage is just 1 buick sedan and a last-gen chevrolet tahoe.

• Like 1

My wife bought a new car and it has the feature where the engine stops at stoplights/signs or whenever you come to a complete stop, then restarts when you press on the gas and move forward. Aside from giving me an “Oh shit, the car just died” every time it happens, isn’t this going to eventually cause extra wear on the starter and battery?

On 1/8/2023 at 8:45 AM, USCATX said:

I just finalized the deal on the GT350 replacement, which will be a ‘23 ZL1 convertible manual in summit white with all the options (basically just carbon add ons) other than red seatbelts, which I didn’t want anyway.  The dealers I talked to in TX were telling me months to get an allocation but this one was just sitting at a dealer in Michigan. 

I’ve sat in one of these and have driven a couple of non-ZL1 Camaros and these seats are epic compared to my non-Recaros in the Shelby.  I’m hoping the TR-6060 is as great as the TR-3160, but it’s an older design so we will see.  I haven’t had a vert in like 8 years and wish I had it now for this great winter weather.  Deal closes Monday and then shipping it down enclosed.  Growing up in the ‘90s I would never have believed that a bone stock vert would be throwing down 650 hp and 650 ft-lbs for the price of a nice 1/2 ton truck.  Can’t.  Wait. 

536201A9-2C7B-43D2-8CE5-8A464C7D627E.jpeg

AAC5E298-0BA6-42E8-BF0B-35500F029E0C.jpeg

7A40FD48-75B5-45DB-BC7C-FE89A9C0373F.jpeg

Haha there it is.  Brand new alcantara Recaros photograph like a baby puked on them.

I passed on so many gently used ATS-Vs for that reason (just looking at photos).  I'm glad, though, ultimately.  I saved a bunch of money and still have a tremendously fun car that gets 27 mpg.

Edited by TwiceHorn

9 minutes ago, GoPokes83 said:

My wife bought a new car and it has the feature where the engine stops at stoplights/signs or whenever you come to a complete stop, then restarts when you press on the gas and move forward. Aside from giving me an “Oh shit, the car just died” every time it happens, isn’t this going to eventually cause extra wear on the starter and battery?

Most stop-starts have a capacitor discharge system that takes most of the load off the battery.  My battery is nearly six years old.  I am unaware of any super-premature starter failures, but I'm not sure we've lived long enough with start-stop systems to say they won't give out at 85k miles.

I found that I don't mind it much.  Occasionally, when you are starting and stopping in a parking lot, it's a minor annoyance.  The biggest issue is that the engine is so well isolated in the first place that it can become super hard to tell whether it's running or not, even when it is.  In bright light, it's hard to see the light on the start button to tell definitively.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2023 at 6:01 AM, Okie State said:
On 1/11/2023 at 5:49 AM, G650 said:
I couldn't conceive of infotainment being part of the decision tree in car buying beyond does ot have a radio.

This. Apple Carplay? Who gives a fuck?

The thing that irks me about Android Auto and the like is that to have the nav and other functionality on-screen, you also have your phone ringing through the sound system and all that entails.  I generally don't care for a) using the phone while driving, in any fashion and b) having the ring blast through the sound system only for me to decline the call.  There is probably some way to mute the phone semi-permanently, but I can't be assed to find it.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The thing that irks me about Android Auto and the like is that to have the nav and other functionality on-screen, you also have your phone ringing through the sound system and all that entails.  I generally don't care for a) using the phone while driving, in any fashion and b) having the ring blast through the sound system only for me to decline the call.  There is probably some way to mute the phone semi-permanently, but I can't be assed to find it.

In my book, this makes Android Auto absolutely unacceptable for use in a car. Period.

I don't want to mess with the phone or car to decline the call, I'm busy driving. With my phone by itself, it is easy enough to ignore the ringing. But with Android Auto I just can't ignore it, the ring is too loud, and so I am distracted either by the sound or the anticipation of the distracting sound, until the ringing stops.

The #1 most important feature that any car app MUST have is to make it easy to mute the phone so the driver absolutely NEVER has to respond to an incoming call. Android Auto fails miserably.

• Hook 'Em 1

I hate it. Our Volvo has a separate battery for it that died at 2 years. You can turn it off manually, but it defaults to back on automatically. I have a hard time believing the minimal gas savings justify the extra wear and tear, but I have no data to back that up.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Haha there it is.  Brand new alcantara Recaros photograph like a baby puked on them.

I passed on so many gently used ATS-Vs for that reason (just looking at photos).  I'm glad, though, ultimately.  I saved a bunch of money and still have a tremendously fun car that gets 27 mpg.

I’ve gotten used to it in the Shelby, there’s always some weird pattern from contact and it gets shiny around seams and folds in the seat.  Alcantara wheels are a bitch to maintain and don’t look great for long when new or cleaned.  I’ll probably take the alcantara shift knob off this thing and put on a solid aluminum one as the good lord intended. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/12/2023 at 5:16 PM, Okie State said:
On 1/12/2023 at 4:36 PM, GoPokes83 said:

I have a hard time believing the minimal gas savings justify the extra wear and tear, but I have no data to back that up.

It's not there to save you gas. It's there to help the automaker meet emissions requirements on a standardized test cycle. My Mazda eats a battery every 2 years, and the battery needs to be a heavier duty partial deep cycle battery to survive the increase charge discharge cycles. The fuel savings definitely does not outweigh the battery costs.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

On 1/12/2023 at 8:12 PM, USCATX said:

I’ve gotten used to it in the Shelby, there’s always some weird pattern from contact and it gets shiny around seams and folds in the seat.  Alcantara wheels are a bitch to maintain and don’t look great for long when new or cleaned.  I’ll probably take the alcantara shift knob off this thing and put on a solid aluminum one as the good lord intended. 

I have heard, including on this thread, that alcantara can clean up pretty nicely, even the shiny parts.  One of the more bizarre uses of it was as a covering on the Microsoft Surface laptops, and I have heard and seen that a good scrubbing will bring it back to life.