The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

27 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

No transmission issues?

One of them (6L80e) had a funky shift that I never fucked with for over 200k miles.  Just a bit firmer on the 1-2 that I would like, but it wasn’t worth tearing into just to slush it up worse. And firm > slush for longevity, I just didn't like it.  6L80e was a meh trans at best, but it’s hung in there and i still drive it weekly during the winter (ranch truck) The 10 speed in wife’s newer one is the smoothest trans I’ve ever had.  Worlds better than my allison, or any 4L/6L I’ve ever had.   GM trans are easy.  Drive them forever and never ever, under any circumstance, “flush” them. 

10 hours ago, Planet Houston said:

Ugh. I had a year-old new Bronco that just got totaled when an asshole with no license and no insurance blew through a red light and broadsided me on the passenger side (thank god). I am very lucky to have walked away fine, and even luckier my wife and kids (8-yo twins) weren’t in the car. I also would have flipped but for rolling into an F-150 waiting to take a left going the opposite direction on my street. Oh and this happened all of 5 blocks from my house. 

So with all that being said, I think I’m in the market for a safe, luxury SUV. Not sure I need a full-size model as long as I have a tow hitch - we have a great trailer-mounted tray and bag that solved long trips with the smaller cargo space of my Bronco - so I’m looking at mid to large luxury SUVs that are above all safe. Performance is important-ish, I certainly don’t want to be driving a 4 cylinder, but I’m also not looking to break the bank to upgrade to souped up models of the below ideas I have. 

What say you, Shaggy? What I’m currently contemplating is Tahoe/Yukon, Escalade, X5/X7, GLE/GLS, GV80, XC90, Range Rover Sport, Expedition, Navigator. I left off several I know, and that list is a bit all over the place, but curious what y’all think. 

Wife has had several of them, Tahoe, then RRS, then Expedition, now Escalade, and probably going back to the RR it looks like. The new Escalade has been the best one of the bunch for a lot of driving. We put quite a few miles on vehicles and I don’t have any issues taking off in it for 1000 mile trip to the beach. The RR Sport was the most fun to drive. The Expedition was fine, but she never cared for it and it didn’t last long.

On 1/21/2023 at 7:57 PM, USCATX said:

It’s going in on the 31st for a full front plus rockers and front edge of rear quarters package.

Can’t wait to get this knocked out plus the break-in so I can really let it rip.  I did a little run under 4k rpm on Fitzhugh yesterday and the supercharger torque already has me addicted. 

How did it turn out?

9 hours ago, nolongerU2horn said:

How did it turn out?

I got clowned by the storm, ended up dropping it Friday instead of Tuesday. They are backed up and I should have it back tomorrow or Saturday.  I’m trying to remain calm because that storm wasn’t anybody’s fault.  

On 2/8/2023 at 12:06 PM, Da Fino said:

A bunch of my buddies that had always been Tahoe guys have made the switch over to Expedition and are happy. My wife went from Range Rover to X7 and will probably be a BMW person for life. 

X7 is mental leader of the pack. GV80 is out, although it is very nice on the interior and is a good looking SUV. Just doesn’t quite have it - several little things bugged me with the test drive. And if I’m going to spend that much, I don’t know that a souped up Hyundai makes a lot of sense. 

• Hook 'Em 1

X7 is mental leader of the pack. GV80 is out, although it is very nice on the interior and is a good looking SUV. Just doesn’t quite have it - several little things bugged me with the test drive. And if I’m going to spend that much, I don’t know that a souped up Hyundai makes a lot of sense. 

Sample size of one but my friend has a X7 with 50k miles and it is in the shop quite a bit. I just got the wife a Yukon but have less than 1000 miles on it so hard for me to give any constructive feedback.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 2/10/2023 at 7:34 AM, Planet Houston said:

Tesla Model X, then BMW, then Volvo

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/8/2023 at 11:48 AM, Planet Houston said:

Ugh. I had a year-old new Bronco that just got totaled when an asshole with no license and no insurance blew through a red light and broadsided me on the passenger side (thank god). I am very lucky to have walked away fine, and even luckier my wife and kids (8-yo twins) weren’t in the car. I also would have flipped but for rolling into an F-150 waiting to take a left going the opposite direction on my street. Oh and this happened all of 5 blocks from my house. 

So with all that being said, I think I’m in the market for a safe, luxury SUV. Not sure I need a full-size model as long as I have a tow hitch - we have a great trailer-mounted tray and bag that solved long trips with the smaller cargo space of my Bronco - so I’m looking at mid to large luxury SUVs that are above all safe. Performance is important-ish, I certainly don’t want to be driving a 4 cylinder, but I’m also not looking to break the bank to upgrade to souped up models of the below ideas I have. 

What say you, Shaggy? What I’m currently contemplating is Tahoe/Yukon, Escalade, X5/X7, GLE/GLS, GV80, XC90, Range Rover Sport, Expedition, Navigator. I left off several I know, and that list is a bit all over the place, but curious what y’all think. 

Also, if you are buying new, the RRS has an 8 month wait according to our dealer. Curious what on that list can actually be bought today. Around here the GM’s are a no, Expedition is a no, RR’s are a no, Escalade is a no, don’t know about the others. Audi’s are on lots, but not on your list. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/10/2023 at 2:29 AM, Planet Houston said:

Defender 110 should probably be on the list. 

Goddammit. It was so easy with the Bronco. But that ship has sailed now, I’m not getting back in line or paying $10k over MSRP again. And the fact it was flipping in my wreck spooks me. Ugh. 

Detroit-area dealers have Bronco inventory at MSRP.  Don't play dealership games, they have 8,000 competitors and archaic laws are the only thing keeping their racket alive. 

21 hours ago, Brew said:

Also, if you are buying new, the RRS has an 8 month wait according to our dealer. Curious what on that list can actually be bought today. Around here the GM’s are a no, Expedition is a no, RR’s are a no, Escalade is a no, don’t know about the others. Audi’s are on lots, but not on your list. 

What do you mean by “no”? No inventory, or don’t buy them? And where are you?

Audi isn’t on my list bc my wife has a Q7. It’s fine but not what I want. 

1 hour ago, Planet Houston said:

What do you mean by “no”? No inventory, or don’t buy them? And where are you?

Audi isn’t on my list bc my wife has a Q7. It’s fine but not what I want. 

No inventory of any of those on lots which I would assume would be consistent in other areas but might not. A ways from you guys, TN. 

• Hook 'Em 1

X7 is super sweet. Other than the fact the new model headlights have me wondering what the engineers were smoking. Interior really upgraded. Very sweet ride. 

I just pulled the trigger on an X5 M-lite. It’s got plenty of hustle and the ride quality I wasn’t willing to sacrifice going full M. 

147EFFAA-A05F-442E-87A4-FC9F0DE16143.jpeg

6BC9E7C5-1ED4-44C7-BA16-38CF51B9D67A.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/12/2023 at 12:21 PM, Brew said:

No inventory of any of those on lots which I would assume would be consistent in other areas but might not. A ways from you guys, TN. 

If you are buying new, and know what you want, it’s really not complicated to buy in the L48 and have it delivered to your front door. Doesn’t even cost that much. 

An option anyway. 

3 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

What’s your process?

I typically first locate all the inventory that matches my ISO. Most of the manufacturer websites allow you to build and check dealer inventory. 

Then I email the dealerships (usually fleet managers as they are user friendly) with my offer stating I am doing the same for like models at other dealers. Also state I am going to select the dealer who gives me the best price / matches most closely my offer. 

then the paperwork is very easy. All of the dealers have shipping partners these days. Some even offer free transport. 

• Like 1

On 2/8/2023 at 12:48 PM, Planet Houston said:

My DBX has a tow hitch. Just sayin.

2 hours ago, Bert Orange said:

If you are buying new, and know what you want, it’s really not complicated to buy in the L48 and have it delivered to your front door. Doesn’t even cost that much. 

An option anyway. 

A ton of dealers are limiting sales to state residents now. A LOT. I have tried to buy 3 Rav4 Primes and ran into this. Three different states, completely separate dealers.  

2 hours ago, Bert Orange said:

An option anyway. 

I still prefer to buy local from people/clients I know. Even on trucks, I’ve just built it the way I want it and if he doesn’t have something coming in then he goes and gets it and trades vehicles. I’m always in and out in 10-15 minutes, so the dealership experience has been fine and the service during and after has been what keeps me going back. If there is an issue with a vehicle, he has it picked up and a loaner dropped off no questions asked.

On 2/19/2023 at 7:18 AM, Bert Orange said:

X7 is super sweet. Other than the fact the new model headlights have me wondering what the engineers were smoking. Interior really upgraded. Very sweet ride. 

I just pulled the trigger on an X5 M-lite. It’s got plenty of hustle and the ride quality I wasn’t willing to sacrifice going full M. 

147EFFAA-A05F-442E-87A4-FC9F0DE16143.jpeg

6BC9E7C5-1ED4-44C7-BA16-38CF51B9D67A.jpeg

Very nice. 

I seem to be in the minority but I actually like the X7 headlights. I think they work much better on the X7 than on the 7 series. 

I test drove one last week and it’s awesome. Going to wait for a ‘24 build at this point, they’re supposed to start in April for May/June delivery. 

Not a new car, but this thread is filled with folks that might be interested. I have a buddy on my lease, that lives in Salado. He bought a new 911 Cab, so he is getting rid of his 2006 911 Cabriolet to make room in the garage:

Sandors911-heic.png

It has 44k miles. He is asking $53,500. Always garaged, obviously not his daily driver.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 2

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Okie State said:

$212K and it comes with a 12 month warranty. Nice.

Well that’s just the certified warranty. Still has full factory warranty in place. But this highlights what sleazy dealers do to avoid “market adjustment” markup over msrp for new Raptors. Just sell to a shill, title it, and have them sell it back to you for max profits on both sides. Then sell it “used” for a stupid price. 

Mercedes dealers did this all the time with their cars last couple years. Because Daimler wouldn’t allow dealers to sell above msrp. Tons of “regular” buyers that drove cars for six months for free. 

Anyone go the PEHV route?  Seems like the best of all worlds. Picking up one for wife next week. She drives maybe 8-10 miles in any direction in Houston and can plug in just about anywhere. 

Thinking about how the Hummer EV I ordered takes like 2-3 days for a full charge at home and wondering how impractical that is and if I can actually use the damn thing as intended. 

1 hour ago, Bert Orange said:

Anyone go the PEHV route?  Seems like the best of all worlds. Picking up one for wife next week. She drives maybe 8-10 miles in any direction in Houston and can plug in just about anywhere. 

Thinking about how the Hummer EV I ordered takes like 2-3 days for a full charge at home and wondering how impractical that is and if I can actually use the damn thing as intended. 

We got a Volvo XC90 PEHV last December for my wife and we really like it so far. We live ~13 miles from the town where my kids go to school and she can drop them off, run an errand or two, and make it back home on battery alone (if it's not cold outside). She plugs it in when she gets home and it's fully charged when it's time to go back to town.  I did have an electrician put in a 220 outlet and it cut the charging time down significantly.  It would take almost all night to get a full charge previously.

The real world battery range is ~32 miles or so, gas range is another ~400 miles I think?  It's twitchy off the line too when the battery is fully charged.

• Hook 'Em 1

Well that’s just the certified warranty. Still has full factory warranty in place. But this highlights what sleazy dealers do to avoid “market adjustment” markup over msrp for new Raptors. Just sell to a shill, title it, and have them sell it back to you for max profits on both sides. Then sell it “used” for a stupid price. 

Mercedes dealers did this all the time with their cars last couple years. Because Daimler wouldn’t allow dealers to sell above msrp. Tons of “regular” buyers that drove cars for six months for free. 
Ahh, I missed that it was used. Figured Gold Certified was just some bullshit marketing by the dealer.

On 3/18/2023 at 4:38 PM, midtown said:

BMW makes some of the best interiors.. I wish my Mach 1 had that refinement

They're becoming too busy-looking for me.  Mercedes are on a whole other level of busy gimmicky interiors but BMW is starting to throw more textures and random polyagonal shapes in than Lexus ever had.