The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

Full Xpel stealth PPF, ceramic, front window tint to match the rear, and a small amount of tint on the windshield. It’s amazing the difference tint makes on the interior temp in a car (and it looks much better to boot). I put PPF on my Bronco because I wanted to really off-road but it had a beautiful paint job - after doing it, I’ll never have a nice car without PPF and ceramic again. 

They recommend it on all their PPF jobs and the cost is minimal on top of the PPF cost. It does the same thing as it would on regular paint - water beads up, much easier to wash and it protects the PPF itself from bird shit and the like. We don’t have a garage so I’m often under a tree - the cost benefit once you spend the money on PPF is a complete no-brainer. 

Edited by Planet Houston
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Planet Houston said:

They recommend it on all their PPF jobs and the cost is minimal on top of the PPF cost. It does the same thing as it would on regular paint - water beads up, much easier to wash and it protects the PPF itself from bird shit and the like. We don’t have a garage so I’m often under a tree - the cost benefit once you spend the money on PPF is a complete no-brainer. 

Once you get it wrapped all you have to do is wash. There is no polishing/waxing of the car once it’s wrapped. Am I correct in saying that?

I have partial wrap on the front of the old 911, on half of the front trunk, around the lights, the front bumpers and on the front of the rear fenders.  I enjoy washing and waxing the car but, have had some friends say I should get it wrapped. I’ve never really looked into it. So that’s why I am a bit confused. 

6 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Once you get it wrapped all you have to do is wash. There is no polishing/waxing of the car once it’s wrapped. Am I correct in saying that?

As I understand it, just the PPF is no more than a plastic barrier, so polish/wax would still serve a function. Once you treat the PPF with ceramic, there is no need for polish/wax. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

That looks really good

3 hours ago, Fat Bastard said:

How much did it cost you for the full PPF on the x7?  

how many days did it take?

did they have to do any paint correction?

Well, here’s the rub. It looks awesome and will protect the car for a long, long time. Nothing drives me crazier with cars than seeing a $90k+ car with chips from road debris and paint swirls or micro scratches from carwashes.

But - for a full SUV job plus tint and ceramic it cost me a bit north of $6K. And that’s for a “preferred” customer where he kinda stuck his finger in the air and gave me the best deal he could while making a little money. The labor cost is intensive, and you need to go to a really skilled place or it will end up bubbling or having sloppy edges around the doors, panels etc. Also comes with a fulsome warranty for 7 years though. 

If you lease or plan to own for less than 4 or 5 years, probably doesn’t make sense (unless you’re just doing it for the matte look and don’t mind the cost). I plan on driving this a long time so it was worth it to me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Worth it on a vehicle you plan on keeping. Not sure id give a guy a handjob for a discount , but to each their own 

what did this vehicle replace ?

I had a new Bronco and got broadsided by a guy running a red light, it rolled and would have flipped but for another car stopping my momentum. Total loss of course, and I was just thankful that I was alone in the car without my wife and two 8 year-olds. It happened at the intersection of Shepherd and Welch which is very close to my house.  So part of my thinking in the vehicle was having a safe tank that wouldn’t roll again. Probably irrational but whatever.

No handjob for the discount but I was the first new Bronco he did, referred him a couple of new customers, and I pay in full with straight cash, homie. 

Drove a Rivian RS1 last week.  Not sure why you need 835hp in a 7600 lb rig but it was easily the fastest acceleration I have experienced.

I put down the $1000 deposit just to see what they were like not really expecting to buy one but now I'm not so sure.

My largest customer has the Rivian truck, we were just talking about it yesterday and he loves it.    Not just the electric part of it.   He thinks it is well thought out and done well.     This is a guy that has a wide variety of vehicles (from a 991 gt3 to big MB suv) to choose from each morning that are all pretty cool.   I always see him in the rivian.   

On 5/2/2023 at 10:07 AM, huge said:

Drove a Rivian RS1 last week.  Not sure why you need 835hp in a 7600 lb rig but it was easily the fastest acceleration I have experienced.

I put down the $1000 deposit just to see what they were like not really expecting to buy one but now I'm not so sure.

Was your test drive initiated by Rivian?

I love that Ed daily drives his cars.  How was the Spyker?  Does it still smell like Missy Elliott?

It is not comfortable. It didn’t have a radio so she put a head unit in the glove box and stuffed a subwoofer in the passenger footwell. But it looks amazing and sounds pretty good and was fun to ride around in. It gets lots of attention.
  • Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Was your test drive initiated by Rivian?

Yes once you put down a deposit you get on their radar and when they have time/room they schedule a test drive.

They had regular/sport/offroad tire options to drive.  I went with the "offroad" wheel tire set up.  If I can get over what you get luxury-wise for $90k I think I will end up buying one.  Even if I dont keep it long they seem to be holding value (currently).

Just now, huge said:

Yes once you put down a deposit you get on their radar and when they have time/room they schedule a test drive.

They had regular/sport/offroad tire options to drive.  I went with the "offroad" wheel tire set up.  If I can get over what you get luxury-wise for $90k I think I will end up buying one.  Even if I dont keep it long they seem to be holding value (currently).

Yeah, I put down a deposit ~6 months ago.  I have not gotten a test drive invite yet.  I am very interested in the vehicle itself, but I'm not yet convinced that Rivian is going to survive.  If I were offered a spot right now, I would probably say no.  But I'm going to do the test drive when I get that.

10 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

A different neighbor has a 911 GT3 RS, an Audi RS6, and a launch edition Rivian truck (dual motor). He loves it. I can’t get over a brand new car without CarPlay.

As cool as Ed's cars are, I'd rather have that garage.  

4 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I dunno.  Ed's got (had?) some sneaky cool rides, and his literal garage is awesome af.  Love that design and makes the whole house. 

Actual garage, yes.  But not the cars.  I'd rather drive the Rivian, Porsche and Audi than a bunch of Lambos.

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Actual garage, yes.  But not the cars.  I'd rather drive the Rivian, Porsche and Audi than a bunch of Lambos.

I get it. I don’t like the murci’s that much. But my all time dream car is an F430.  And he’s got a pretty nice one, along with the others of course. 

im sure he since fixed the place up, but he did a short walk around the house on wiki years ago and the garage was nicer than a lot of the rest of the house.   Just awesome imo. 

I get it. I don’t like the murci’s that much. But my all time dream car is an F430.  And he’s got a pretty nice one, along with the others of course. 

im sure he since fixed the place up, but he did a short walk around the house on wiki years ago and the garage was nicer than a lot of the rest of the house.   Just awesome imo. 
He sold the Scud. That was my favorite.
  • Rage+1 1

14 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Yeah, I put down a deposit ~6 months ago.  I have not gotten a test drive invite yet.  I am very interested in the vehicle itself, but I'm not yet convinced that Rivian is going to survive.  If I were offered a spot right now, I would probably say no.  But I'm going to do the test drive when I get that.

When I went I had only been on the wait list 2 months (Houston).  Guy that hosted me was surprised I got a drive so quickly.  He said that it was usually 6-12 months.

Also said that they expected CarPlay to be added in 2024.  We will see.

23 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
On 5/10/2023 at 9:38 PM, fattyflattie said:

He sold the Scud. That was my favorite.

Yeah he has that weird Ferrari shooting brake thing now. 

He has a pretty awesome guest this week. Video should be good. 

I can’t imagine what 0-200 in 10.86s would feel like.

I googled fastest to 200, apparently the prior holder was the Henessey Venom at 14s.  Also showed some rocket car the size of a train engine that does it in 9s.

Now we just need Richard Hammond to drive it off a cliff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2023 at 5:32 PM, Buzzrock said:

A different neighbor has a 911 GT3 RS, an Audi RS6, and a launch edition Rivian truck (dual motor). He loves it. I can’t get over a brand new car without CarPlay.

That Rivian is actually a quad motor, they haven't even delivered the dual motor yet. 

I actually just got a text that my Rivian (R1S - the SUV, not the Truck) is expected to be delivered next week. Other than a house or my law school education, it will be the most expensive thing I've ever purchased. I signed a binding purchase agreement last year before the new EV regulations went into place, so I should qualify for the full $7500 tax credit. Which is nice, since I paid a shit ton of taxes last year, so I should be able to amend my return and just get a refund. 

I'm looking forward to 835 HP, even though other than peeling out of the school zone after dropping off my kids I probably won't need it. 

15 hours ago, hornian said:

That Rivian is actually a quad motor, they haven't even delivered the dual motor yet. 

I actually just got a text that my Rivian (R1S - the SUV, not the Truck) is expected to be delivered next week. Other than a house or my law school education, it will be the most expensive thing I've ever purchased. I signed a binding purchase agreement last year before the new EV regulations went into place, so I should qualify for the full $7500 tax credit. Which is nice, since I paid a shit ton of taxes last year, so I should be able to amend my return and just get a refund. 

I'm looking forward to 835 HP, even though other than peeling out of the school zone after dropping off my kids I probably won't need it. 

My mistake, you are right, quad motor. 

It’s my understanding the S has a different wheelbase than the T. I’ll be curious to hear how you like it. I’m certainly seeing more of them around. 

• 3 weeks later...