Surly #Stonks

Wally Fairway

4 hours ago, ZB'Tejas said:

What's that theoretical timeline? Holding these options i'm wondering when you should sell them prior or whether it's a good idea to hold them through expiration if they keep going up. I'm a total novice at options btw

you're probably aware of this, but in case you're not, holding options through expiration will cause them to be exercised if they are in the money. So you would need cash in your account to by 400 shares at  the strike price, unless you proactively notify your broker not to exercise them. If you sell the options 5 minutes prior to close of market, you just capture the profit between the buy and sell price. For a stock like UUUU its not necessarily a big deal, but if you had 4 contracts of TSLA, 400 shares is a chunk. they won't liquidate stocks without notifying you first, but usually its better to close out before expiration. 

Edited by Blotto
strike price, not closing price dummy
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Blotto said:

you're probably aware of this, but in case you're not, holding options through expiration will cause them to be exercised if they are in the money. So you would need cash in your account to by 400 shares at  the closing price, unless you proactively notify your broker not to exercise them. If you sell the options 5 minutes prior to close of market, you just capture the profit between the buy and sell price. For a stock like UUUU its not necessarily a big deal, but if you had 4 contracts of TSLA, 400 shares is a chunk. they won't liquidate stocks without notifying you first, but usually its better to close out before expiration. 

I need cash to buy at the call price correct? So if I have 5 options at $5 call price I would need $2500 to cover and the $2 I spent to buy the options would just be gone at that point. Would the options price be a similar return the day before closing? So in your example of selling right before they expire would that upside be expected to be around the same? Taking the $50 price target my upside of taking the shares would be $50 - $7 * $500  -  $21,500. So I guess I should expect that the options price get closer to the actual asset price the closer to expiration? So if you sell 5min before that would be right at $50 in our example so that's a slightly higher upside $48 - 2 *500 $23,000. Do I have that right?

1 hour ago, ZB'Tejas said:

I need cash to buy at the call price correct? So if I have 5 options at $5 call price I would need $2500 to cover and the $2 I spent to buy the options would just be gone at that point. Would the options price be a similar return the day before closing? So in your example of selling right before they expire would that upside be expected to be around the same? Taking the $50 price target my upside of taking the shares would be $50 - $7 * $500  -  $21,500. So I guess I should expect that the options price get closer to the actual asset price the closer to expiration? So if you sell 5min before that would be right at $50 in our example so that's a slightly higher upside $48 - 2 *500 $23,000. Do I have that right?

Yes dude but you’re really approaching options the wrong. 90% close them before. It’s not about fucking with the actual stock. Also I think like 80% of people who make money off options write them. Good luck sounds like you need it.

1 hour ago, ZB'Tejas said:

It depends. If there's a lot of volume for that options contract (SPY, QQQ, etc...), then typically the bid/ask spread is pretty tight and the profit you would realize by selling the options approximates the profit you would make by buying the shares  and immediately selling them, assuming the price of the underlying doesnt move drasticlly at the market open the next trading day. But if the options arent heavily traded, the bid/ask spread might be $2 , and theres no guarentee you will get someone to buy for your desired ask price right before expiration. 

There's a ton  of information online bout the mechanics of options trading, but I find investopedia is pretty solid without a bunch of spam. 

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/optioninvestor/09/when-exercise-options.asp

https://www.investopedia.com/options-and-derivatives-trading-4689663

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

@Blotto and @Castilian Cum Stain have good advice. Does your platform offer a test site where you can buy and sell pretend securities and options too see how they trade? If so I suggest you do that for a few weeks to see how things settle.

Holding options to expiry is a high risk strategy. I ended up buying some Disney early into pandemic trading when the price moved at the close on expiration date. I was fortunate to have cash in the account, otherwise I could have had either a high priced margin loan or forced liquidation of other holdings.

I've had my broker (Schwab) close some options half an hour before close because they can.

Right now I'm holding some near money SPY 1/22/22 calls and as the market goes up there increase faster than the stock, but as you get close to expiration date it tracks closer to $1 to $1. So I've stopped holding close to expert e (2 weeks).

I have played in the 1-10 day expiry options, and overall lost my ass; but it is exciting to hold the few that you catch just right and make 3x more. But I'm just playing those with a few hundred $$$'s

Good luck 

As a full disclaimer, I have about 75-80% of my funds in SPY, or other ETF's, and have no more than 3-5% in options at the most. And I'm only buying, not selling options. Also Blotto is dead on with trading options on high volume secured being much more stable than low volume, SPY trades at a fairly normalized spread, individual stocks can have a big spread in bid/ask prices

28 minutes ago, Castilian Cum Stain said:

Any other Uranium plays?

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

I wish I had put my IBRX investments into UUUU

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

Y'all convinced me, I've added this as another stonk. Can't be any worse than IBRX or BPTH

2 hours ago, Hefeweizen said:

I wonder what actually will be a positive catalyst.  I am loaded and ready.

And UUUU is teasing me because I have a small position only @ 7.45

I bought at 5, bought more at 7.  I’m really tempted to dump a decent amount.  Just know with my luck it will tank if I do so.

American Battery Technology Company (ABTC) (OTCQB:ABML) today announced it received a competitively bid $2 million contract award from the United States Advanced Battery Consortium LLC (USABC), in collaboration with the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), for the commercial demonstration of its integrated lithium-ion battery recycling system and production of battery cathode grade metal products, the synthesis of high energy density active cathode material from these recycled battery metals by cathode producer and lithium-ion battery recycler BASF, and then the fabrication of large format automotive battery cells from these recycled materials and the testing of these cells against otherwise identical cells made from virgin sourced metals by cell technology developer C4V.

PR here

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, ZB'Tejas said:

Nice. Is it time to just exit this thing or do we have some real upside in the next 12 months?

HMBL is just now getting most of their promised apps available to the public. If people start using them then the price should go up. If the apps bomb, look out below. A big issue to watch is the large number of outstanding shares.

12 minutes ago, Mr Bean said:

I’d buy Harrison Stanford a bottle of something fancy if my uuuu profits weren’t offset by ibrx losses 🤣

And, that's fair.  Watching the share price fall from $45 per share to around $8 has been a series of George Foremanesque gut punches….especially since the company has only reported encouraging data and updates since the merger. So, why the drop in sp?  Well, the whole biotech sector has been slammed since February which was when IBRX made it's high.  It's tough for an individual stock to do well when it's sector is getting murdered  A Seeking Alpha analyst who remains bullish on IBRX also offered the following reason for the stock's decline. "Sorrento Therapeutics (SRNE) was expected to have 10 million shares of the combined company (IBRX) at the time of the merger. Sorrento and ImmunityBio founder, Dr. Patrick Soon-Shiong, are in a legal battle over a partnership that went sour. Perhaps, Sorrento has/is/going to unload that position considering they are trying to sue the company’s founder and major stakeholder. I want to stress that I don’t know if this has or will occur, but it isn’t out of the realm of possibility considering the current relationship and circumstances between the two parties."  This makes sense to me.  It also makes sense that IBRX should rebound after SRNE has finished dumping the 10 million shares.  I still believe IBRX will move past the $45 mark it hit in February and am holding 27,800 shares @ $9.77. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 11/4/2021 at 1:18 PM, Harrison Stafford said:

UUUU motors through 10…+.35 to $10.12….yet another 6 year high.  Holding 25,000 shares @ $5.28 and letting it ride.

UUUU +.65 to $10.93.  It hit another six year high today at $11.09.  @Hefeweizen @victory88 UUUU Is overbought on the RSI. It can stay this way for a while, especially if uranium prices rise or there’s other good news.  It can also correct.  If you can live with the possibility of UUUU retracing to eight dollars, hold your positions.  Otherwise, take your profits.  I don’t plan on swing trading my position because there’s a lot happening in this sector and I don’t want to to be taken by surprise and miss the biggest part of the bull run.  At some point, I believe UUUU will spike as it did in 2007 & 2011 and I have the patience to wait for it.  Holding 25,000 shares @ $5.28.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Harrison Stafford said:

UUUU +.65 to $10.93.  It hit another six year high today at $11.09.  @Hefeweizen @victory88 UUUU Is overbought on the RSI. It can stay this way for a while, especially if uranium prices rise or there’s other good news.  It can also correct.  If you can live with the possibility of UUUU retracing to eight dollars, hold your positions.  Otherwise, take your profits.  I don’t plan on swing trading my position because there’s a lot happening in this sector and I don’t want to to be taken by surprise and miss the biggest part of the bull run.  At some point, I believe UUUU will spike as it did in 2007 & 2011 and I have the patience to wait for it.  Holding 25,000 shares @ $5.28.

I've got 5 Jan '23 options contracts that are a positive 35% profit right now. Would you cash in or wait?  I also have 2,200 shares @ $6.50 ish.

Edited by CooterBrown

33 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I've got 5 Jan '23 options contracts that are a positive 35% profit right now. Would you cash in or wait?  I also have 2,200 shares @ $6.50 ish.

Hold onto your shares as UUUU is headed higher over the next 6 months and beyond.  I’m not an options guy, but I think you’ll have the chance to buy them back cheaper if you take your profits.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Harrison Stafford said:

Holding till the moon brother!  

17 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

Hold onto your shares as UUUU is headed higher over the next 6 months and beyond.  I’m not an options guy, but I think you’ll have the chance to buy them back cheaper if you take your profits.  

I'm holding my shares to the moon or $50, whichever comes first.  I think I'll hold the options but keep a close eye on them. If it gets back down to 25% profit, I'll sell and rebuy.

• Hook 'Em 1

The Uranium Spot Price is at a current level of 45.08, up from 32.15 last month and up from 29.98 one year ago. That’s a change of 40.22% from last month and 50.37% from one year ago.  I believe we’re at the beginning of a multi-year bull trend including uranium and other commodities.  The planet can’t do green energy without large scale nuclear energy production.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I'm holding my shares to the moon or $50, whichever comes first.  I think I'll hold the options but keep a close eye on them. If it gets back down to 25% profit, I'll sell and rebuy.

My options are at 162% profit... maybe I'll sell half. Or just hold for the moon!

• Like 1