Surly #Stonks

Wally Fairway

There were never going to be many winners in 2022 and probably not many in 2023. It's all about your portfolio surviving right now as small caps are the first to go in downturns. You could throw a dart and pick a winner in the last half of 2020 and all of 2021. We are paying for that now. 

On 10/17/2022 at 6:55 PM, StassneyHorn said:

Had the real-life internet scenario play out today in regards to if you had 10k today to invest, where should you go.

Only answer is I Bonds, right? No high interest debt at the moment.

Or just bet Padres to win NLCS?

I opened two I Bond accounts in 2020 and have been maxing them every year and will do it again in Jan. The Nov reset might go over 10%. Can't beat that with a rubber dick considering the lack of risk.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

Since October 10th, the price of uranium has jumped from $47.08 to $52.65/lb.  In that same period, UUUU has moved from 6.15 to 7.  The price of uranium is going higher as is the sp of UUUU.  Holding 30,000 shares of UUUU @ 5.64.

Until it doesn’t and continues to be a sheep to the overall market bullshit. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/21/2022 at 4:19 PM, bluto said:

Until it doesn’t and continues to be a sheep to the overall market bullshit. 

UUUU and IBRX are both up 11% the past week. "Coincidentally". Instead of buying shares in either, I should be betting that next week they will both drop over 5% and it will have nothing to do with the price of uranium. 

1 hour ago, BurdineBandit said:

UUUU and IBRX are both up 11% the past week. "Coincidentally". Instead of buying shares in either, I should be betting that next week they will both drop over 5% and it will have nothing to do with the price of uranium. 

"IBRX has discovered a cure for radiation poisoning in coordination with UUUU."

• Haha 1

On 10/20/2022 at 4:03 PM, Capt. Squints said:

I opened two I Bond accounts in 2020 and have been maxing them every year and will do it again in Jan. The Nov reset might go over 10%. Can't beat that with a rubber dick considering the lack of risk.

November adjustment was down to 6.89% 

6 months at 9.68% and then next 6 at 6.89%. Feeling great

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

November adjustment was down to 6.89% 

6 months at 9.68% and then next 6 at 6.89%. Feeling great

56 minutes ago, Capt. Squints said:

I'm surprised it dropped like it did. I think they're trying to tamp down demand for the little fuckers. I'll still take it though.

not that these are great rates for bonds - but they have to be the most unstonkiest of investments that anyone could find
perhaps you should start a thread for things that are actually sound investment advice and stop polluting this thread that is about things like IBRX, how to catch a falling knife, should I invest in the Inverse Cramer fund or the Inverse Wally fund?

• Like 1

ASTS / AST Spacemobile, a company intending to create satellite based cell phone service, eliminating dead zones, has a big event coming up on Thursday this week. 
their first satellite is due to unfurl it’s antenna on Nov 10. Success in this endeavor would likely create a nice pop for the stock price. 

ASTS / AST Spacemobile, a company intending to create satellite based cell phone service, eliminating dead zones, has a big event coming up on Thursday this week. 
their first satellite is due to unfurl it’s antenna on Nov 10. Success in this endeavor would likely create a nice pop for the stock price. 

Satellite based cell phone service compatible with legacy cell phones, based in a building at the Midland, TX airport. I tried to sell them redundant fiber backhaul but they didn't have enough money.

Still, will be following them.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2022 at 8:44 AM, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

just dipped my toes in stonks for the first time yesterday and am already realizing my problems.  how do you deal with the massive spreads of these stupid things?  I'm realizing i'm seeing bid prices for half of the market price.

Just put your buy order in below the offer. Likewise, put your sell orders in above the bid. Patience is often rewarded. 

On 12/4/2022 at 6:30 PM, TonyTexas said:

Just put your buy order in below the offer. Likewise, put your sell orders in above the bid. Patience is often rewarded. 

And when your but order hits, did to the dip then you put in a new buy order, even lower, to buy the new/continuum on the dip.

This is a life lesson in averaging down (or as we call it, the oblivion death march)

• Haha 2

On 12/7/2022 at 9:43 AM, Blotto said:

Carvana was trading in the $260's a year ago. Currently under $4. Oh well, I guess they can always hope for another $1T of stimulus cash and near zero interest rates in the near future before they go bankrupt. 

i've done that with upstart.  i bought at 120 and now its 19.  i'm certain this business model that i have no idea how it is supposed to work is going to catch on any second

• Haha 1

I wonder whether there would be interest in a more generalized investment thread discussion. I’ve gone down a rabbit hole on bond funds over the last few months and I think many folks would be interested in that discussion. Plus other retirement planning topics might be of interest. Any thoughts?

• Hook 'Em 5