Surly #Stonks

Wally Fairway

10 minutes ago, ATexanAbroad said:

gamblers mentality vs investors mentality brah

You’re right  I’m probably more long term oriented these days than others in here. However, I used to day trade for a living way back before there was there was internet trading. I was an original SOES Bandit  Those were fun times. But I still tried to stick to that philosophy. 

Edited by TonyTexas

Just now, TonyTexas said:

You’re right  I’m probably more long term oriented these days than others in here. However, I used to day trade for a living way back before there was there was internet trading. I was an original SOES Bandit  Those were fun times. 

That brings up some memories of old... were you in Texas or east coaster?

1 hour ago, bluto said:

1 hour ago, Hank_Hill said:

Market is pumping because Ukraine reports they’re withdrawing NATO requests. Guess oil is reacting to that as well?

Biden gives a speech officially banning russian oil imports, implying the american consumer would feel the pinch as a result. So naturally the market takes off and oil stocks tank. Then a few hours later the market gives back a large chunk and the oil stocks all seem to recover. 

Algorithms gonna do what they do. 

7 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Biden gives a speech officially banning russian oil imports, implying the american consumer would feel the pinch as a result. So naturally the market takes off and oil stocks tank. Then a few hours later the market gives back a large chunk and the oil stocks all seem to recover. 

Algorithms gonna do what they do. 

great, healthy markets

somethings-fucky-hmm.gif

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Houston. Started at Block Trading in the Galleria. I think they were the first SOES trading firm outside of NY/NJ. 

We definitely crossed paths... I never traded (dumbest decision of my life not trading early on) but was a trading software/backoffice guy. Developed a bunch of the early trading & backoffice software for the industry.

Was at Block Galleria early on before Momentum opened up.

22 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

We definitely crossed paths... I never traded (dumbest decision of my life not trading early on) but was a trading software/backoffice guy. Developed a bunch of the early trading & backoffice software for the industry.

Was at Block Galleria early on before Momentum opened up.

We definitely did cross paths. I traded with Momentum at both locations. Too bad you weren’t on the trading software team from Austin who designed the Block platform. They made out better than anyone. 

18 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

We definitely did cross paths. I traded with Momentum at both locations. Too bad you weren’t on the trading software team from Austin who designed the Block platform. They made out better than anyone. 

Yeah, my timing sucked back then... I decided I needed a change of pace right before they sold the software to ETrade which used it to launch their ETrade Pro system. The other guy I started development with retired many, many years ago.... *sigh*

3 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

I have never understood the logic of selling a stock that is finally doing what you hoped and expected in order to buy something that has been a disappointment. Let your winners continue to win and cut your losers. Otherwise you end up with a portfolio of losers. 

I only own stock in companies I like but I definitely make this mistake sometimes.  I just don’t have the conviction in UUUU that some others do, especially because of their RE play.

6 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

I have never understood the logic of selling a stock that is finally doing what you hoped and expected in order to buy something that has been a disappointment. Let your winners continue to win and cut your losers. Otherwise you end up with a portfolio of losers. 

These are Stonks, I’m not sure any qualify as winners. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

@blutoYou saying UUUU has limited upside, or that UUUU still has some room here?

I believe their main thing right now is their uranium holdings so it should track the price pretty much and then theyre waiting on some plants and processes to get build and what not and then it will have additional upside. Something like this.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

@blutoYou saying UUUU has limited upside, or that UUUU still has some room here?

Diamond hands! Seriously though, I don’t know shit but with nuclear getting so much play the last month plus the supply/demand data that gets bandied about I think it has solid potential. Holding jan 23 calls and a few k shares. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, bluto said:

Diamond hands! Seriously though, I don’t know shit but with nuclear getting so much play the last month plus the supply/demand data that gets bandied about I think it has solid potential. Holding jan 23 calls and a few k shares. 

I have Jan 23 10 & 15 calls and a couple thousand shares as well 

Uranium is a weird commodity, in that nobody really buys at the spot price. As UUUU doesnt have any revenue, their stock price is just a proxy for the spot price of uranium because how  else could you value them.  The actual companies that sell uranium to utilities (Cameco etc....) are engaged in long term contracts where the actual price can vary significantly from the spot price as it oscillates. Because only a small percentage of uranium sales are done at the spot price, when the Sprott Trust was active last summer/fall buying on the spot market, it was largely responsible for the rise in spot pricing. Once they stopped buying, the spot price dropped down again.

Even if the world decides that nuclear development is the way to go to offset carbon etc...., it will be years before the actual demand follows. We'll have to see how much the shitshow in Ukraine contributes to the energy narrative over the coming months, but as there wont be a huge spike in demand in the short term, I'm not convinced there will be a sustained rally in the spot price. I expect a lot of significant price swings, so I've been holding my UUUU, but expect to have to hold it for a few years for a big increase. If there's a horrible environmental issue at Chernobyl or one of the other reactors due to the war, it could also depress the price of uranium like the Fukashima shitshow did 10 years ago. 

Harrison's approach of holding a good chunk long term and opportunistically trading a different chunk is probably the way to go. Since Im a degenerate with my etrade account, I may use options for the opportunistic side. 

12 minutes ago, nycHorn said:

My sell order hit at $9.94

Thanks Harrison.

Glad you made money. I was tempted to sell the 8000 shares of UUUU near $10, but decided to hold overnight.  The reason for the nice move is the US is weighing sanctions on Russian nuclear giant Rosatom.  If that happens, we should get a nice spike.

Glad you made money. I was tempted to sell the 8000 shares of UUUU near $10, but decided to hold overnight.  The reason for the nice move is the US is weighing sanctions on Russian nuclear giant Rosatom.  If that happens, we should get a nice spike.

Oh no doubt now that I’ve sold it’ll hit $20/share tomorrow. I’m hoping it slides down a little for another good re-entry point. The daily swings have been wild lately.

56 minutes ago, nycHorn said:

Oh no doubt now that I’ve sold it’ll hit $20/share tomorrow. I’m hoping it slides down a little for another good re-entry point. The daily swings have been wild lately.

You sold within 3 cents of the day’s high and you made money.  There’s no guarantee the price of UUUU continues its ascent.  Having said that, if the price of UUUU does hit $20 tomorrow, my wife and I will fly to NYC and take you out to eat at the Gramercy Tavern or the restaurant of your choice.

32 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

Sold 15% at $10.25. Now if AMYZF can get some momentum...would love good news on the pilot plant. I hope the delay isn't something to be concerned about.

Hopefully the seesaw action in UUUU is those with putty hands taking profits (I am a big fan of taking profits), and w will see closing upside today/tomorrow.

Sadly, it looks like AMY just keeps falling, and I've averaged down enough already. Good luck on your next tranche purchased

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Sadly, it looks like AMY just keeps falling, and I've averaged down enough already. Good luck on your next tranche purchased

Can you bring me back up to speed on them?  I have been interested in what they do, and even held them for a bit here a year or so ago.  Anything at all to look forward to?  I used to be able to stay a lot more up to date on this thread but not able to lately.  Value your opinion, or opposite of it anyhow :)