Denver

milkman

Headed to the mountains soon. Fly into Denver mid-afternoon and planning to stay in Denver for the night. Will have family in tow so looking for a part of town that has restaurants and shops nearby. Any suggestions? Been looking at both Lodo and Cherry Creek areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

Ophelia's Electric Soapbox and  The Pig & The Sprout.  Neither is high end but they are both nicer places with really good food.  Ophelia's has live music some nights so you make it an entire evening if you like.  It's a former brothel so there's some lesbian action paintings on the walls to get your sugar baby in the mood.

Edited by CooterBrown
  • Hook 'Em 1

How much do you want to spend? We usually stay at the Crawford but it’s pricey. We have stayed at Maven at Dairy Block and also Rally Hotel and liked them both as well. Look at the train from the airport to downtown. Uber/cab rides one way are north of $60, train is around $15 for a 24 hour pass.

Rioja was good Italian.
Hapa Sushi&Sake
Nallen’s Irish pub

• Hook 'Em 1

Maven is the best one downtown and Rally is brand new. Avoid anything near the 16th Street Mall. If you want something away from downtown Halcyon and Jacquard in Cherry Creek are great choices, in a very nice area.

To eat, I'd recommend Cart Driver - award winning neopolitan style pizza. The place next door Work and Class is also supposed to be good but I've never been. Quality Italian in Cherry Creek is a go to for something more upscale. Also really like the Lower highlands area (aka LoHi), plenty of good eat/drink spots like Avanti, Happy Camper, and Linger. 

If you want to get hammered with some sluts they just opened Dierks Bentley Whiskey Row next to the ballpark and right by the Viewhouse. 

• Hook 'Em 3

19 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Maven is the best one downtown and Rally is brand new. Avoid anything near the 16th Street Mall. If you want something away from downtown Halcyon and Jacquard in Cherry Creek are great choices, in a very nice area.

To eat, I'd recommend Cart Driver - award winning neopolitan style pizza. The place next door Work and Class is also supposed to be good but I've never been. Quality Italian in Cherry Creek is a go to for something more upscale. Also really like the Lower highlands area (aka LoHi), plenty of good eat/drink spots like Avanti, Happy Camper, and Linger. 

If you want to get hammered with some sluts they just opened Dierks Bentley Whiskey Row next to the ballpark and right by the Viewhouse. 

Cart Driver - yes

Work and Class - yes

Super Mega Bien (next door, same owners as W&C) - maybe I just went a lot on an off night

Linger - yes

Recommend The Block for craft cocktails with spirits they distill onsite.  It's like a 5 minute walk down Larimer from Cart Driver/Work and Class. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Cart Driver and Work & Class are two of my favorite places in Denver and they're literally next door.  Either one is amazing.  Have heard good things about Super Mega Bien, but have not gone.  Same chef is the one who is running Casa Bonita now, too.  Their food will be money when they reopen.

Should also add Fruition and Safta (probably my absolute #1 at the moment).

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

I’ll agree that Snooze is very good, but when I travel I don’t like eating somewhere I can also eat back home.

Snooze started here.  The original is the one on the corner of Park Ave and Larimer downtown.  

That said, I don't like waiting for an hour+ for breakfast food.

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Snooze started here.  The original is the one on the corner of Park Ave and Larimer downtown.  
That said, I don't like waiting for an hour+ for breakfast food.

I get that, but they’ve got locations in FW and Dallas now and have for several years. Point is I can have Snooze on any random Saturday the wife wants to head into town. I can’t have the the Spicy Lola from DBC whenever I want.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Stubens is very tasty. I regularly picked up dinner for the family on my commute home from downtown.

————-

3 putt - given the current situation downtown and in LoDo, I would look at hotels in Cherry Creek proper. Take a look at the JW Marriott, Halcyon, Moxy, the Jacquard; these are the only hotels in Cherry Creek proper (that I know of).  Safe travels.

Edited by washparkhorn

1 hour ago, washparkhorn said:

Stubens is very tasty. I regularly picked up dinner for the family on my commute home from downtown.

————-

3 putt - given the current situation downtown and in LoDo, I would look at hotels in Cherry Creek proper. Take a look at the JW Marriott, Halcyon, Moxy, the Jacquard; these are the only hotels in Cherry Creek proper (that I know of).  Safe travels.

What’s the “current situation”? 

1 hour ago, washparkhorn said:

————-

I'll second Jacquard. Stayed there pre-pandemic and it was great. Unless they redid the JW during the pandemic, it's getting pretty tired.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Kennythetiger said:

What’s the “current situation”? 

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2022/02/11/mayor-michael-hancock-message-dont-abandon-downtown-denver-crime/?amp

And only about 30% of downtown workers have returned to downtown.

Before Covid, Downtown Denver averaged 250,000 visitors daily. That number has dropped to 40-50,000 a day. That creates opportunities for crime - which is flourishing. It feels a little like a ghost town mixed with a Dirty 6th vibe right now. The loss of baseball is a big hit to LoDo. 

Cherry Creek is four miles from Pepsi Center/Ball Aerospace Arena (~$15 Uber ride)     

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Like 1

The RiNo area north of downtown is nice with tons of cool breweries 

Downtown around the 16th Street Mall specifically has gotten overrun with homeless and crazies. The area around the ballpark is nicer particularly around Dairy Block and the Maven. 

Cherry Creek is homeless free.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

My friends in Denver say the homeless have gotten really aggressive and pour buckets of piss on cyclists on the Cherry Creek bike paths. When I lived there they weren’t allowed in the showcase parks like that.

The mall-rats (think dragworms or dragrats in Austin) have become even more violent and destructive in Downtown Denver since Covid. 

Just now, washparkhorn said:

The mall-rats (think dragworms or dragrats in Austin) have become even more violent and destructive in Downtown Denver since Covid. 

Yeah, I never go downtown except when we go out to eat, but from what I've heard, things have gone south fast and it's only getting worse.  Lots of people bought big $$ condos in the Coloradan and elsewhere are regretting that purchase these days.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

When we lived in Denver our favorite restaurant was Mizuna and it’s still the first place we’d go. Frank Bonnano is a genius.

Mizuna is still my favorite. Frank is still an asshole, but his restaurants deliver results. 

Barolo Grill and Fruition are excellent as well. 
https://www.barologrilldenver.com/dining-menus

https://www.fruitionrestaurant.com/dinner

• Like 1

Mizuna is still my favorite. Frank is still an asshole, but his restaurants deliver results. 
Barolo Grill and Fruition are excellent as well. 
https://www.barologrilldenver.com/dining-menus
https://www.fruitionrestaurant.com/dinner

We left in 05 and he had just opened Luca. He had really added other concepts since. Mizuna was always magic on a cold snowy night; you just didn’t want to leave. I think it’s the most special restaurant my wife and I ate at in our 40 years, and we’ve eaten at some of the best.

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

Have heard Fruition is slipping but i haven't been there in a year or so.

Ate at Hop Alley recently. It was a disappointment.

Went to Fruition shortly after it opened and the hype was through the roof. My expectations were so high there was no way it was going to meet them.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Bump.  Thanks to all for the info.

Going to be in Denver a couple of nights with family and going to the Rockies game on Wednesday.  Are 1Up and Urban Putt likely to be a mess during the day?  I was thinking we could hit one or both of those for the kids and wander to some breweries for the dads.

• 1 month later...

we have been on the hunt for a place for cocktails in Denver. i seem to be having bad luck with overly sweet sazeracs and OFs and weird gimlets.

Lucille's, which should know better, served a sazerac with simple syrup and an orange twist...in a water goblet. B&B also served one with orange, this one on ice. i did have a good negroni at Cherry Tomato.

ive looked at the menu for Dirty Laundry...looks creative and interesting, but not a classic recipe to be seen. get off my lawn.

i have had similar experiences in NM... it's like once you hit the mountains they stop playing the classics?? or maybe I'm just being a cocktail snob lol

but there were numerous places in Austin with fantastic original recipe drinks. i may have found a weakness here 🤔😄

recommendations? 😊

we have been on the hunt for a place for cocktails in Denver. i seem to be having bad luck with overly sweet sazeracs and OFs and weird gimlets.
Lucille's, which should know better, served a sazerac with simple syrup and an orange twist...in a water goblet. B&B also served one with orange, this one on ice. i did have a good negroni at Cherry Tomato.
ive looked at the menu for Dirty Laundry...looks creative and interesting, but not a classic recipe to be seen. get off my lawn.
i have had similar experiences in NM... it's like once you hit the mountains they stop playing the classics?? or maybe I'm just being a cocktail snob lol
but there were numerous places in Austin with fantastic original recipe drinks. i may have found a weakness here
recommendations?

Shanahans makes a mean OF. They have a pretty good happy hour but you have to go to the Tech Center. Also had some good cocktails at the Sky Bar in Stanley Marketplace.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 7/7/2022 at 11:17 PM, Damor said:

Bump.  Thanks to all for the info.

Going to be in Denver a couple of nights with family and going to the Rockies game on Wednesday.  Are 1Up and Urban Putt likely to be a mess during the day?  I was thinking we could hit one or both of those for the kids and wander to some breweries for the dads.

Worth noting for future visitors but the guys across from the main entrance selling $5 or $10 tickets to the Rockies games are legit, and you can easily sit anywhere you like because there's almost always a lot of empty prime seating and security stopping people from moving about is thin.