Denver

milkman

On 9/2/2022 at 6:53 PM, PRONG HORN said:

Where can I get the Beer Cheese like they had at baby Doe's?

Beer cheese soup? If you look it up there's a couple imitation recipes. Austin's American Grill in Fort Collins is known for their beer cheese soup but I've not had it.

Bought a fantastic slab of beer cheese from a local cheesemaker, MouCo, in Fort Collins at the local farmer's market last weekend but I don't think that's what you're asking about.

This specific beer cheese soup was better than any I've had. Don't know what their secret was.

The unfortunate secret was probably it was a Sysco mix made by the tub. Lots of places do that shit. I worked in a rib joint in school and folks raved about the secret recipe bbq sauce. It was nothing but number 10 cans of Kraft barbecue sauce. Split between regular and hot, which just had a cup of cayenne dumped in per gallon.

The unfortunate secret was probably it was a Sysco mix made by the tub. Lots of places do that shit. I worked in a rib joint in school and folks raved about the secret recipe bbq sauce. It was nothing but number 10 cans of Kraft barbecue sauce. Split between regular and hot, which just had a cup of cayenne dumped in per gallon.
It was a nicer place than that. Old school fine dining in Denver. It's now an apartment building.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't spent a ton of time in FC, but we were up there on a college visit this summer, and there are definitely a ton of great breweries.  As for me, I'm very partial to Equinox in the Old Town area.  Love the brews and the chill atmosphere.  There's a fly shop just down the block, although I didn't make it there.

Cooper Smiths has decent food and okay brews, but sitting on their back patio is very pleasant.  I didn't get to hit Funkwerks this time and it's been years, but it was great back then.

I'll second Ginger and Baker, very good for breakfast.

@wild_turkeyJust saw your post, hope this helps. My favorite breweries in town are Zvei and Stodgy. Neither offers food but there's usually a food truck, and Zvei is close to fast food or a sandwich shop. Stodgy is a renovated old retail building and the front is grassy and shady, with picnic tables littered about. Zvei is german style and recently expanded so offer more outdoor seating options. 

Agree, New Belgium's patio is tough to beat.

Rally King is also excellent but in a strip mall next to an axe throwing place, if that's your thing. Their beer covers a wide gamut. 

A ton of new breweries have opened - there's so many and it's difficult to go wrong.

Food - it's not exactly a foodie town. 

Near campus and old town - Avogardos, The 415, Slyce Pizza Company, Choice City (Burgers, sandwiches).

Chinese noodles - Beijing Noodle House is the real thing

Thai - Kinn Thai

Breakfast near Old Town - Mugs, Rainbow. Silver Creek if it doesn't have a long wait.

Breakfast around Town - Original Pancake House (not ihop), First Watch, La Creperie

Nicer places in Old Town - Sonny Lubick's, Philippe Bistro and French Bakery

Fried chicken - Music City Hot Chicken, Backyard Chicken & Donuts (a short drive from Fort Collins)

Food truck - yellow food truck serving tacos in front of Jax Outdoor on N College

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 1

Thanks for the recs. We had a fantastic time. The weather was damn near perfect.

Friday we went to New Belgium, then ate dinner at Jax Fish House, then went to The Whiskey bar

Saturday we had Silver City for breakfast, then did a guided fly fishing trip with St. Peter’s Fly Shop on the Poudre River, then beers and a late lunch at Odell, then beers at Funkwerks, then pizza somewhere I don’t remember, then sleep. I understand there was some college football played somewhere yesterday but I didn’t have time for that bullshit.

I can’t say enough good things about St. Peter’s Fly Shop. We had 2 guides for 4 guys and they were excellent. None of us had ever been fly fishing, it was just something I wanted to try and I convinced friends to also give it ago. The fly shop provided everything, all of us caught at least one fish, and it was just an all around badass way to spend a beautiful fall day.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Thanks for the recs. We had a fantastic time. The weather was damn near perfect.

Friday we went to New Belgium, then ate dinner at Jax Fish House, then went to The Whiskey bar

Saturday we had Silver City for breakfast, then did a guided fly fishing trip with St. Peter’s Fly Shop on the Poudre River, then beers and a late lunch at Odell, then beers at Funkwerks, then pizza somewhere I don’t remember, then sleep. I understand there was some college football played somewhere yesterday but I didn’t have time for that bullshit.

I can’t say enough good things about St. Peter’s Fly Shop. We had 2 guides for 4 guys and they were excellent. None of us had ever been fly fishing, it was just something I wanted to try and I convinced friends to also give it ago. The fly shop provided everything, all of us caught at least one fish, and it was just an all around badass way to spend a beautiful fall day.

And people make fun of PAC 12 country for not having the same enthusiasm for CFB lol. I wouldn't either if I had access to this on the weekend. Sounds like a great trip.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/18/2022 at 9:16 PM, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

The Chef’s tasting menu at Barolo Grill is probably the best meal I’ve ever had. Blew Mizunas and Fruition out of the water for me.

A002DA35-E4DD-48E4-A3EB-6334DB297773.thumb.jpeg.528bd289223d4bc8a97e393e9b3ab853.jpeg

I wanted to thank you for the recommendation. We ate there last night and had a blast. Our waitress was a cute little brunette from Austin. Didn’t tell her that I knew any of you assholes, though. Mousse on the left and apple donuts on the right. 

• Hook 'Em 3

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Doing spring break in Denver with wife and 2 kids (4 and 6). Any recommendations beyond these? Family friendly restaurants/breweries?

Children's Museum of Denver

Dinosaur Ridge Park

Echo Mountain Snow Tubing

Arvada Apex Center

if kids would be interested in seeing bison in the wild, the wildlife drive in Rocky Mountain Arsenal National Wildlife Refuge is cool. also seen tons of deer and a couple coyotes. quite scenic no matter what and a way to kill an hour or so, anyways.

Denver also has a nice Nature and Science Museum, adjacent to City Park.

don't know if your kids would be interested but the Wings Over the Rockies Air and Space museum in the Lowry area is pretty cool (the whole neighborhood is former AFB). there's a family friendly biergarten across the parking lot. there's also a brand new Denver Brewery that just opened in Lowry (like its been open two weeks) - burger is legit.

not sure where you're staying, but you mentioned breweries...the Breckenridge Brewery in Littleton is very cool, great HH menu. seen lots of kids there.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Doing spring break in Denver with wife and 2 kids (4 and 6). Any recommendations beyond these? Family friendly restaurants/breweries?

Children's Museum of Denver

Dinosaur Ridge Park

Echo Mountain Snow Tubing

Arvada Apex Center

Urban Putt

Meow Wolf

Buffalo Bill museum

Genesee Buffalo Herd

Colorado Railroad Museum 

Denver Biscuit Company/Fat Sully’s

Little Man Ice Cream

Cherry Cricket Restaurant 

Drive down to Colorado Springs and ride the Cog Railway to the top of Pikes Peak

https://www.urbanputt.com/

https://meowwolf.com/

https://buffalobill.org/

https://www.uncovercolorado.com/wildlife/buffalo-herd-nature-preserve/

https://www.uncovercolorado.com/wildlife/buffalo-herd-nature-preserve/

Edited by topochico
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

more Colorado than just Denver, but i can't think of where to post these and i want to share bc they are absolutely ridiculous...camping in Chatfield SP this last week...phone, no filter at all 😮🤩 didn't even look real!

49824.jpeg

49826.jpeg

49822.jpeg

49830.jpeg

49832.jpeg

20230721_212829.jpg

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/20/2023 at 6:05 AM, Kennythetiger said:

A002DA35-E4DD-48E4-A3EB-6334DB297773.thumb.jpeg.528bd289223d4bc8a97e393e9b3ab853.jpeg

I wanted to thank you for the recommendation. We ate there last night and had a blast. Our waitress was a cute little brunette from Austin. Didn’t tell her that I knew any of you assholes, though. Mousse on the left and apple donuts on the right. 

I want to thank you for the recommendation. Last weekend I did the tasting menu:

Polpo spagnolo: crispy spanish octopus, eggplant caponata, pine nuts, red pepper coulis, purple mizuna    

Agnolotti del plin: piemontese pinches of pasta filled with ground veal, sage brown butter, parmigiano-reggiano

Anatra di barolo: barolo-style braised duck, kalamata olives, seasonal vegetables, roasted garlic potatoes

Granita di pesche: palisade peach granita, vanilla crema, cardamom meringues

Instead of doing the wine pairings, I just had a glass of Barbaresco Riserva ‘Basarin’ Punset 2014 Piemonte and Barolo Riserva ‘Bricco Fiasco’ Azelia 2013 Piemonte. The wine was delicious. The food quite good. The octopus was the star. The pasta was very good, but quite small serving even for a tasting menu. The duck was good, but nothing special. Peach desert very refreshing. Overall a relaxing 2 hour meal. I will say, the main dining area was very loud. Glad to be in the smaller room off the main. 

• Like 1