The Last of Us coming to HBO

rage-a-holic

3 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

I really gotta watch this shit one week at a time all the way through mid-March? What are we, cavemen?

Gonna be fun watching this as someone who has played both games multiple times vs my wife who went in totally blind.

Presuming the show does well enough to get renewed, was curious about how many seasons they could do without totally abandoning the source material, but then I saw this article from Paul Tassi (Forbes' resident gaming/TV reviewer) which presents a pretty feasible roadmap.

Spoiler

Season One will tell Part I and Left Behind, the latter through flashbacks. Season 2 will start the story of Part II, but may end up taking more than one season per Druckman. He's also said some episodes with deviate greatly from the game, so I imagine there will be some new characters and B stories to beef it up.

19 hours ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Did they superimpose the current skyline?  I couldn't tell.  Didn't recognize any of the other "Austin" locations, but read the entire show was filmed in Canada so...

I saw the Austonian. 

It’s making me want to play the game. But the husband is working through Horizon: Forbidden West and I don’t really want spoilers anyway. So I’ll wait until the end of season 1 to start

I dug the pilot. Definite War of the Worlds vibes in the first act.

I’m wary because this is based on a video game and because zombies have been done so much, and the outbreak part is usually the best part of all of these types of movies/shows, but the cast is good and I loved Chernobyl so I’ll stick with it.

Pedro is great. He can communicate a lot without talking. They were stretching it a little by having him age 20 years but I don’t care.

I really liked the daughter but was also pretty sure she wasn’t going to make it since she’s not on the poster. That sucks.

It’s awesome to see Anna Torv back since they won’t give us any more fucking episodes of Mindhunter.

Nice cameo from Head at the beginning!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

They don't live within the city limits.

image.thumb.png.8cbc44ede8b3b52f1a395b895ef55e07.png

The neighborhood they left was, based upon the current skyline pic, from the Westlake side of town.  US 183 runs north to south and Farm Road 58 is somewhere in east Texas.  I don't think the geography is all that realistic.

17 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

The neighborhood they left was, based upon the current skyline pic, from the Westlake side of town.  US 183 runs north to south and Farm Road 58 is somewhere in east Texas.  I don't think the geography is all that realistic.

183 is also not an Interstate. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

They don't live within the city limits.

image.thumb.png.8cbc44ede8b3b52f1a395b895ef55e07.png

This reminded me I had to turn off subtitles because I didn't need subtitles for road signs and things like that.  It started to annoy the shit out of me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

I didn't play the game, but saw a side by side this morning of first episode compared to game.  That shot of "Interstate 183" with the San Marcos and Austin signs is pulled straight from the game.  So any inconsistencies with signage, etc. is just pulled from the game.  But we didn't see them take a dump either, so you know.... unrealistic.  

Game after tv series : r/thelastofus

Edited by A-Tex Devil
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

oh, it's definitely not realistic, but not sure why you think they were near westlake.

The game and first episode make several references to being "outside the city"

4 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

I prefer Hollywood not use realistic geography. Idiots like to show up in places from shows and it could be near you next.

Enjoyed it. Didn’t play the game personally, but remember hanging out at a friend’s house, smoking weed for hours while he played. Looking forward to watching the series.

Last shot of the episode (and frequent visual trope of post apocalyptic content): how exactly did zombies cause a skyscraper fall sideways into another? And why are buildings supposedly crumbling 20 years later? People harvesting the raw materials?

3 hours ago, LonghornSean said:

Enjoyed it. Didn’t play the game personally, but remember hanging out at a friend’s house, smoking weed for hours while he played. Looking forward to watching the series.

Last shot of the episode (and frequent visual trope of post apocalyptic content): how exactly did zombies cause a skyscraper fall sideways into another? And why are buildings supposedly crumbling 20 years later? People harvesting the raw materials?

More like the early days of the apocalypse when people were panicking causing vehicular crashes, building fires etc that might have weakened the structural integrity of buildings.  We even saw a plane crashed in the first 1/3 of the episode

Did they superimpose the current skyline?  I couldn't tell.  Didn't recognize any of the other "Austin" locations, but read the entire show was filmed in Canada so...

Pretty sure the closest they got to Austin was downloading a stock skyline photo from the interwebs.

Austin doesn’t really have that style of house or pine trees or old retail shops or Americans doing home construction.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, LonghornSean said:

It's established in the 2nd game that the military resorted to wide-scale bombing to try and control the spread. Also, not hard to Imagine what would happen if the entire infrastructure necessary to maintain a large coastal city (locks, dams, pumping stations, sewers) were knocked out for over 2 decades.

40 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

It's established in the 2nd game that the military resorted to wide-scale bombing to try and control the spread.

Yeah, World War Z covered stuff like this in the Battle of Yonkers.  Military thought they could bomb the zombie hordes and win.  

11 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Help me out here. How and why isn’t this the Walking Dead 2.0?

Pascal and HBO aren’t enough to convince me.

Enough with the zombie shit. The future sucks we get it. But show it in a different way than f***ing zombies. A 1984 show could be great. 

I think that’s basically Children of Men, sorta kinda 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tchookem said:
15 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:
Transmission is through bites. otherwise they would have all been wearing hazmat suits for 20 years.

What about spores? Those were a big problem throughout the game.

I've read they won't be including spores in the show.

13 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Help me out here. How and why isn’t this the Walking Dead 2.0?

Pascal and HBO aren’t enough to convince me.

Enough with the zombie shit. The future sucks we get it. But show it in a different way than f***ing zombies. A 1984 show could be great. 

Like it or not, zombies are a genre. Not all alien, vampire, bank robbery, etc. movies/tv are the same just because they all deal with the same circumstances.

There have been dozens of zombie video games. Only this one captured the gaming community and swept all awards. 

It's funny that the above poster mentioned Children of Men as I think it's a better comparison than The Walking Dead. A broken, grieving father is coupled with a child who (no spoilers) may represent humanity's savior.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Foosters said:

I've read they won't be including spores in the show.

I thought I saw that too, but the old lady was clearly infected by spores in this one house scene.

Nothing bit her and the dog starts growling at her a few minutes later.

image.thumb.png.2b30d471062661ced86c8d90c73b9668.png

image.thumb.png.88ac6b59be98a06cfc4832acaa708198.png

Edited by rage-a-holic
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

I thought I saw that too, but the old lady was clearly infected by spores in this one house scene.

That's a good point, although I thought I remembered them saying she must have gotten it at the hospital? But that wouldn't make sense either, unless she was bitten at the hospital.

Probably just a plot device necessary to ensure that the actors aren't wearing gas masks every time they are inside a building

28 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

image.thumb.png.88ac6b59be98a06cfc4832acaa708198.png

In the games the infection initially started in the food supply. It was in the biscuits she was being fed that morning. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Depeche Mode brought me to this show. I didn't know anything about this game or show. Saw the articles of a Depeche Mode song in the episode. Any show highlighting a Depeche Mode song has got to be awesome, right? So here I am.

GoT being complete diarrhea and Netflix canceling shit left and right has me leery of investing time in any new series. So naturally I read the Wiki on the game and plot. After reading it, thought damn, that's a pretty deep story line for a game. So I am in on this series. First episode was awesome. Shit is pretty intense from the start.

This plot for the game and prob the show reminds me of The Road by Cormac McCarthy. It was written a good few years before the game so I'm sure the game developers leaned on it for inspiration. Base humanity sucks. It's the special bonds in relationships which keep humanity going.

• Hook 'Em 4

On 1/18/2023 at 7:02 AM, CooterBrown said:

Pretty sure the closest they got to Austin was downloading a stock skyline photo from the interwebs.

Austin doesn’t really have that style of house or pine trees or old retail shops or Americans doing home construction.

The Cap Metro bus was on point though. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I really don’t remember the details of the game because it’s been a decade or so since I played it. But I didn’t remember most any of what wound up in Episode 2 (outside of the clickers). Watched the post episode “behind the scenes” where they were like “so we changed this completely from the story in the game.” So we are all kind of non gamefags here. 

On 1/19/2023 at 2:17 PM, ultimaton said:

In the games the infection initially started in the food supply. It was in the biscuits she was being fed that morning. 

The biscuits seems correct based on the opening flashback scene of episode 2 with the scientist woman saying flour was a “perfect medium” or something like that. 

• Hook 'Em 1