The Last of Us coming to HBO

rage-a-holic

On 1/19/2023 at 1:40 PM, rage-a-holic said:

I thought I saw that too, but the old lady was clearly infected by spores in this one house scene.

Nothing bit her and the dog starts growling at her a few minutes later.

They avoided the flour altogether.

Didn't have it to make pancakes. Declined the biscuits. Turned down the raisin cookies. Dad forgot to bring a cake home. 

• Hook 'Em 5

They are matching the games aesthetics perfectly. The museum set matched the game perfectly along with the outdoor lighting. Although at this point it was the army chasing them around. 

Great job on the clickers as well.

Bella is matching Ellies voice and mannerisms perfectly. She is some kind of prodigy. 

This gamefag is pleased with it so far.

• Hook 'Em 6

3 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

How was this show a game?

Naughty Dog's Uncharted and Last of Us games seemlessly blended first person shooter, platforming and puzzle solving with cinematics (and tons of character dialogue).  Playing Last of Us or the Uncharted games felt like you were experiencing a movie (largely because there was great depth to the characters and story and it wasn't just a thin framework for pew pew pew).

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

How was this show a game? There haven’t been enough zombie encounters for it to be a shoot ‘em up. Was it one of those games where it was all just set piece timing to move the story along?

It was not a shoot em up. Resources were so scarce, you never had the ammo to make it a shoot em up even if you wanted to. It was scavenging and travelling intermingled with intense violence and altercations with human and zombie enemies. There was more than what you've seen so far however. In the scene where they leave the QZ and Joel beats that's dude's face in, the game (IIRC) has it where there are numerous guards after you as you try to escape. Same with the museum- more fighting, more enemies. Basically, it's similar but fight scenes are longer with more enemies in the game and cut scenes and dialogue are longer in the show.

That said, the game does rely on dialogue and cut scenes to move it along. There are fans on YouTube that have cut and mashed up the first game to make like a 2hr movie that is almost entirely dialogue and cut scenes.

Edited by Foosters
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 1/16/2023 at 9:57 AM, YChang said:

Heck even the sequence of showing the POV from the back seat as they were escaping in the truck was a cool callback to the game. 

I never played the game, but I've played enough games that I figured that scene had to be a direct port from the game. 

Totally in for this! 

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, seven said:

I had to look up if tess was an uglied up Carrie coon and found out she's actually an uglied up version of the hot doctor in mindhunter 

I actually had that same thought (that it was Carrie Coon) when I first saw her. Plus its an HBO show, and they love to reuse actors. 

2 hours ago, seven said:

I had to look up if tess was an uglied up Carrie coon and found out she's actually an uglied up version of the hot doctor in mindhunter 

2 hours ago, hornian said:

I actually had that same thought (that it was Carrie Coon) when I first saw her. Plus its an HBO show, and they love to reuse actors. 

50 minutes ago, Augustus said:

I thought she was Carrie Coon when she showed up in Mindhunter.

50 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Hot *lesbian* doctor from Mindhunter 

Olivia from Fringe

Fringe, Anna Torv, TV Series, HD wallpaper

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Mittens said:

I should be over characters doing dumb shit in zombie shows by now, but Joel not grabbing a couple of those grenades on the way out the door annoyed the shit out of me.  

Eh, I can give it a pass. A grenade might help you for a moment with a handful of clickers, but the blast would be a siren call for miles around. Noise is your enemy on this battlefield.

Spoiler

Appears that we'll get a prologue around Bill meeting Joel as part of next week. Also looks like they're gonna spool out the Riley story in dribs and drabs, possibly as flashbacks. Add in non-game stuff like the Indonesia scene and only 9 episodes, it seems as though Season 1 will likely end with them just reaching Tommy in Jackson. 

Edited by Herpa Derpa

44 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

the blast would be a siren call for miles around. Noise is your enemy on this battlefield.

I could get behind this reasoning more if every weapon we've seen so far wasn't a gun.  In Walking Dead, they try to use bladed/long weapons for the walkers, and save the guns for humans or hordes/last resort.  Seems the clickers are too fast for machetes and ninja swords.

On the killing of clickers (is that what they are all called in this world? google says that's what the fully morphed ones are, but I have no clue how to differentiate)...seems that it's not so easy as a headshot on the walkers in WD.  Is there a preferred/best way to dispatch of them or is it shoot them til they stop moving?

4 hours ago, seven said:

crazy.. i had thoughts that she kind of looked like Carrie Coon. as well.. but somehow managing to not even be as remotely as attractive as Carrie Coon.

20 hours ago, Augustus said:

You know, you don't have to wait for the lighter to ignite a flame.  You can flick the sparks onto the kerosene all over the floor.

Floor full of hand grenades.  Maybe grab one vs the suspect lighter.  Just a thought.  Great scene either way.  

15 hours ago, Mittens said:

I could get behind this reasoning more if every weapon we've seen so far wasn't a gun.  In Walking Dead, they try to use bladed/long weapons for the walkers, and save the guns for humans or hordes/last resort.  Seems the clickers are too fast for machetes and ninja swords.

On the killing of clickers (is that what they are all called in this world? google says that's what the fully morphed ones are, but I have no clue how to differentiate)...seems that it's not so easy as a headshot on the walkers in WD.  Is there a preferred/best way to dispatch of them or is it shoot them til they stop moving?

TWD zombies were slow and shuffled.  These are the "fast" variety ala. WWZ.  While not limited to just head shots, they do seem amped up and take more to put them down.  

Glad we have something to look forward to on HBO Sundays.  I'm a smart ass, but the little girl always replying with a smart comment gets annoying...but I probably was like that lol.

Shitty shooting by Mandalorian when that first clicker showed up....gut shots??  I'm surprised he didn't take the armor that that militia guy he killed when escaping.  They should have taken something to protect arms and legs from bites.  Classic unpreparedness.

Wife kept asking (per usual)..."what are they looking for in these buildings? Why are they going upstairs?" lol...at first I was like I dunno.  Then explained how it's a video game where you roam around looking for shit and ways to get somewhere because certain paths are blocked/locked...and you have to go into stupid dark rooms and hallways for the bad guys to show up.  

1 minute ago, bernorange said:

They went upstairs in the first building to try and get a vantage point to see if the road was clear/safe for travel.

Yup, that's what I meant by video game having to look for new pathways etc which still leads to danger.  Wish I had a PS so I could play the game for spoilers.

I did see some recaps that say they changed a few things from the game, which makes sense.

27 minutes ago, utxmike05 said:

Shitty shooting by Mandalorian when that first clicker showed up....gut shots??  I'm surprised he didn't take the armor that that militia guy he killed when escaping.  They should have taken something to protect arms and legs from bites.  Classic unpreparedness.

They had to move quickly. Reinforcements were arriving.

19 hours ago, Mittens said:

that's what the fully morphed ones are, but I have no clue how to differentiate)...seems that it's not so easy as a headshot on the walkers in WD.  Is there a preferred/best way to dispatch of them or is it shoot them til they stop moving?

I thought that "bloaters" were fully morphed "clickers" and the exterior fungi created a armor-like shell that made them more and more difficult to kill as they aged and it grew thicker. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Saint Tacky said:

I thought that "bloaters" were fully morphed "clickers" and the exterior fungi created a armor-like shell that made them more and more difficult to kill as they aged and it grew thicker. 

Yea the stages are:

1. Runners

2. Stalkers

3. Clickers

4. Bloaters

Just head they get hard to kill, not sure on what the method is.  I think stage 4 can throw/spit spores at you.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, utxmike05 said:

Yea the stages are:

1. Runners

2. Stalkers

3. Clickers

4. Bloaters

Just head they get hard to kill, not sure on what the method is.  I think stage 4 can throw/spit spores at you.

Spoiler

There's also the "Rat King," which I'm told is an aggregation of several bloaters/clickers.

SPOILER ALERT

Edited by Saint Tacky
Spoiler'ed

Delete that shit....need to get to a page 4 quick.

I read that that fungus is real and does "take over" insects.

Messed up video of an ant infected, dying, turning into clicker in article.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2023/1/21/23561106/last-of-us-fungus-cordyceps-zombie-infect-humans

"So, the fungus is real and it can turn bugs into zombies. That’s pretty rad. But does it pose a threat to us?  A comforting fact is that people have been eating Cordyceps for centuries now without turning rabid. It’s a traditional Chinese medicine, used to treat kidney disease and other ailments. Even wellness brands are now marketing it."