The Last of Us coming to HBO

rage-a-holic

9 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

the neighborhood looked to be in pretty good shape (not bombed, etc).  if i was joel and tess and anyone else, i would've been working with bill and frank to build up a community inside those gates.  bill had all the firepower to keep everyone safe and with more people i'm sure they could've fortified the shit out of the perimeters.  they could've had their own little self-sufficient society.

but zombie folks always gotta be on the move.

I think the end goal was to keep a very low profile to keep FEDRA away. I dunno how a fully electrified and booby-trapped fence accomplishes that but yeah. Seems if FEDRA cared about people outside of the QZ and went out on patrols, they would be found eventually, especially if they're getting in fire fights with raiders every so often.

I'm guessing FEDRA already knows about his "compound" and just doesn't give a shit since it's 1-2 people. Making a community may change their decision making. 

Edited by Hmbre97

12 hours ago, Poe It Up said:

I think Bill found Frank all chewed up in the game, so they’ve taken some artistic license writing the show. I had no idea Bill was gay, actually. We skipped through the beard on beard action, but so far have been impressed with storyline. 

Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

the neighborhood looked to be in pretty good shape (not bombed, etc).  if i was joel and tess and anyone else, i would've been working with bill and frank to build up a community inside those gates.  bill had all the firepower to keep everyone safe and with more people i'm sure they could've fortified the shit out of the perimeters.  they could've had their own little self-sufficient society.

but zombie folks always gotta be on the move.

13 minutes ago, Hmbre97 said:

I think the end goal was to keep a very low profile to keep FEDRA away. I dunno how a fully electrified and booby-trapped fence accomplishes that but yeah. Seems if FEDRA cared about people outside of the QZ and went out on patrols, they would be found eventually, especially if they're getting in fire fights with raiders every so often.

I'm guessing FEDRA already knows about his "compound" and just doesn't give a shit since it's 1-2 people. Making a community may change their decision making. 

Plus Bill hated people. He was happy to see the world burn. After finding Frank, he only cared about Frank. He didn't want to save anyone else.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Hahaha yep. Since it was that particular poster that made the comment, I knew I needed to go to texags and read their thread on the show. WOW. Bigotry and lots of fast forwarding. Talk about snake flakes.

He's probably one of the idiots getting online and writing mad bad reviews. I find it more offensive when a fat, stupid redneck couple starts kissing on screen. Who the fuck wants to think that couple is going to reproduce and have fat, stupid redneck kids.

https://www.businessinsider.com/hbos-the-last-of-us-episode-three-review-bombed-homophobic-2023-1

But the episode, titled "Long, Long Time," is seemingly getting review-bombed by angry, homophobic fans of the game.

On the review aggregator Metacritic, the episode has a user rating of 4.2 (out of 10) as of Tuesday morning — much lower than the first and second episode's scores of 8.8 and 8.9, respectively.

In the past, review-bombing — or when people deliberately give a show or movie a low rating to decrease its score on sites like Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes — has typically occurred for racist, sexist, or homophobic reasons.

Looking through the user reviews, it's clear that some of the game's fans didn't like the episode's central love story between Bill, played by Nick Offerman, and Frank, played by Murray Bartlett.

In the game, it's evident that Bill is gay and had a relationship with Frank, who never appears on-screen.

Neil Druckmann, the co-creator of the series who also developed the video game, told The Hollywood Reporter that Bill and Frank's relationship "went over a lot of people's heads" in the game.

"At the time, [the subtlety is] what helped get it in," he said. "It's sad to say, but it would have been controversial otherwise."

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

He's probably one of the idiots getting online and writing mad bad reviews. I find it more offensive when a fat, stupid redneck couple starts kissing on screen. Who the fuck wants to think that couple is going to reproduce and have fat, stupid redneck kids.

https://www.businessinsider.com/hbos-the-last-of-us-episode-three-review-bombed-homophobic-2023-1

But the episode, titled "Long, Long Time," is seemingly getting review-bombed by angry, homophobic fans of the game.

On the review aggregator Metacritic, the episode has a user rating of 4.2 (out of 10) as of Tuesday morning — much lower than the first and second episode's scores of 8.8 and 8.9, respectively.

In the past, review-bombing — or when people deliberately give a show or movie a low rating to decrease its score on sites like Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes — has typically occurred for racist, sexist, or homophobic reasons.

Looking through the user reviews, it's clear that some of the game's fans didn't like the episode's central love story between Bill, played by Nick Offerman, and Frank, played by Murray Bartlett.

In the game, it's evident that Bill is gay and had a relationship with Frank, who never appears on-screen.

Neil Druckmann, the co-creator of the series who also developed the video game, told The Hollywood Reporter that Bill and Frank's relationship "went over a lot of people's heads" in the game.

"At the time, [the subtlety is] what helped get it in," he said. "It's sad to say, but it would have been controversial otherwise."

funny, after the episode i went on imdb to check something, and saw it was at 9.9/10 audience score.

now it's 8.1/10.

47 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

... if i was joel and tess and anyone else, i would've been working with bill and frank to build up a community inside those gates.  ...

Frank would likely have been open to the possibility, but not Bill.  Bill was serious about his resource management, OpSec and hatred for mankind.  Frankly, I'm surprised he let Joel know the code for the perimeter gate.

Just now, bernorange said:

Frank would likely have been open to the possibility, but not Bill.  Bill was serious about his resource management, OpSec and hatred for mankind.  Frankly, I'm surprised he let Joel know the code for the perimeter gate.

another moment the show handled really well was the quick development and understanding between the new relationships - tess/frank and bill/joel.  offerman and pescal did a great job of non-verbal communication, and you could see during their quick dialogue "i don't like people much" and "i don't blame you, but we're good people" that they kind of had a mutual understanding.

if bill had not found frank in that hole and been pushed for months/years, then there's no way bill ever lets joel in emotionally.  the letter illustrated how bill and joel's relationship had grown though we did not see it on screen.  bill wanted the person to find the letter to be joel, wanted him to use his resources, and wanted him to protect whomever he was with, assuming it would be tess.

• Hook 'Em 2

The only reason I didn't care for how close their neighborhood was to Boston is that it just seemed unlikely to have allowed them live undisturbed (raiding parties notwithstanding) for as long as they did.  Seems like FEDRA or whatever they're called would've been up in their business.

But that's minor/inconsequential.

Everyone associated with that episode of television deserves a standing ovation.  Now THAT, my friends, is how you provide some backstory in way that keeps the viewer riveted to the screen.  Whoever it was that decided, let's devote the entire episode to a self-contained story that will provide a motivation for one of the main characters going forward, and tell an absolutely beautiful story while we're at it.

It's really hard to make a great movie/tv series, as evidenced by how awful most of them are.  But when somebody really gets it right, it's something special to see.

• Hook 'Em 4

Texags is good for aggy tears only, I dunno how you can do this to yourself Swayze

Know your enemy. And I don’t necessarily mean aggy (2%ers seem to be alright). I mean the hatred and bigotry that is surging in this country. I want to know what they are thinking and doing so I can be prepared.

It’s also funny to see the right, especially the religious right, lose their minds over shit like this. Pathetic little men.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Know your enemy. And I don’t necessarily mean aggy (2%ers seem to be alright). I mean the hatred and bigotry that is surging in this country. I want to know what they are thinking and doing so I can be prepared.

It’s also funny to see the right, especially the religious right, lose their minds over shit like this. Pathetic little men.

The hatred/bigotry is less than it's ever been in this country.  What does exist is just getting amplified by the scourge of social media.  Such as searching it out on another forum and bringing it here.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

The hatred/bigotry is less than it's ever been in this country.  What does exist is just getting amplified by the scourge of social media.  Such as searching it out on another forum and bringing it here.

Ok aggy.

Regardless if it’s at an all time low or not, it should be ridiculed and eradicated whenever it pops up.

But I only posted those as it was requested.

Back to the show…

The decay and abandoned buildings is awesome. I have spent way too much time searching for and exploring places like that for photography. It’s interesting to see the rate of decay and how it varies. One thing is for sure, once you get a hole in the roof of a building, the decay accelerates a whole lot.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Ok aggy.

Regardless if it’s at an all time low or not, it should be ridiculed and eradicated whenever it pops up.

But I only posted those as it was requested.

Back to the show…

The decay and abandoned buildings is awesome. I have spent way too much time searching for and exploring places like that for photography. It’s interesting to see the rate of decay and how it varies. One thing is for sure, once you get a hole in the roof of a building, the decay accelerates a whole lot.

Yeah I know, it's just one of those "we can't have nice things" deals, as we were having a lovely discussion about a beautiful piece of art, and then boom, let's dive right back in the gutter.

Edited by Augustus
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Only because you asked. No need to ruin our thread with their bigotry and lack of critical thinking.

It’s the Hollywood NWO gay agenda!!!!!1!1!!!

921f821f18567384517b10786f959a8a.jpg

b31cb647614d491e0b5562fa64679009.jpg

thanks for that.  now go have a shower, maybe a nap.  you earned it.

not to go all woke or cloak, but it's amazing to me how close some of them came without actually getting themselves there mentally.  i expected some "wtf is up with this gay shit, it wasn't in the game" or whatever.  but some of them clearly have the capacity to accept that there are people out in the world with differing lifestyles.  that's the hard part.  and they don't want it showcased in a game or show (or both) that they like - and that's fine too.  you can't please all the people all the time.

but to say that this is put there to "divide" us is just bonkers to me.

look where we are.  we have people from all different directions praising this episode of television.  i'm not sure i've ever seen a tv/movie based on a video game, and if i have, it certainly wasn't memorable.  to add, i typically don't like zombie shit.  at all.  i don't understand people who do either.  i've gotten into drunk arguments with a buddy who's watched every episode of twd and the spinoff, and is in mid-rewatch right now like gtfo with that.

i thought this episode accomplished the nearly impossible task of bridging the divide of people in the world through art, one of the only mediums that can really do that (besides sports).  this type of filmmaking should be roundly applauded by all, and has been so far (outside of the agenda seeking).

rant over.

p.s. whomever said "how could anyone take ron swanson seriously in this role" either didn't pay attention to the ron swanson character or doesn't know how offerman is in real life.  other than the gay part, this was very on-brand for offerman/swanson.  i thought the perimeter protection was a tribute to how swanson kept his cabins in parks and rec.  dude also has a real working woodshop, you can buy shit from there online.

• Hook 'Em 3

That was beautiful. Just impossibly beautiful. They need to have a special emmy category for "best guest appearance" on a TV show so Nick Offerman can win.

And I feel very, very sorry for anyone that can't see past their own prejudice and homophobia to appreciate a beautiful love story that is so expertly executed. Even in the "golden age of television" we get very few of these moments that impact profoundly. These bigots are really missing out. 

• Hook 'Em 6

17 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

p.s. whomever said "how could anyone take ron swanson seriously in this role" either didn't pay attention to the ron swanson character or doesn't know how offerman is in real life.  other than the gay part, this was very on-brand for offerman/swanson.  i thought the perimeter protection was a tribute to how swanson kept his cabins in parks and rec.  dude also has a real working woodshop, you can buy shit from there online.

Seriously, I can't think of a better actor to play that role than Nick Offerman. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, bernorange said:

Bill knew that the rules had to be followed exactly for survival. Letting Frank in was about as far as he could go. You try and create a community and quickly, you'll have someone go rogue because they "know better" and fucks up everything for everyone.

FWIW, those of you talking about dusting off your consoles to play the game after watching the show, it's worth noting that they released a re-made PS5 version of the original game (upgraded from the original PS3 quality) . It's called "Last of Us: Part 1" and includes the DLC bonus chapter called "Left Behind" that delves further into Ellie's backstory before meeting Joel.

There's also "The Last of Us Remastered" for PS4 that upscaled the game from PS3 to PS4 graphics (not a true remake). It's something like $20, or free if you have Playstation Plus Premium. Also includes Left Behind. 

Edited by Storm the Field

6 hours ago, Whitewater Horn said:

Man, that was a top tier television episode. I haven’t felt a lingering emotional punch from a one-hour tv love story like that since the San Junipero episode of Black Mirror.  The performances felt so genuine and intimate as to almost be voyeuristic. Bill and Frank. The love story from a mushroom apocalypse that I didn’t know I needed. 

Watched this ep last night and I completely agree.  It was just a fantastic hour of television.  Pedro Pascal and Nick Offerman are so good.  So is the dude who played Frank, I just don't know his name.  

11 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Watched this ep last night and I completely agree.  It was just a fantastic hour of television.  Pedro Pascal and Nick Offerman are so good.  So is the dude who played Frank, I just don't know his name.  

Murray Bartlett 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Watch White Lotus season 1...first place I saw him....he stole the show.

• Hook 'Em 4

12 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I don't know any of the show runners or actors personally, but, if they lost viewers because of Sunday's episode, I imagine their reaction would be, "Fucking good. Don't let the door hit you on the way out."

i don't come to hbo for any weird sex shit.

i'll stick to euphoria, house of dragons, white lotus, and game of thrones thank you very much.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5