The Last of Us coming to HBO

rage-a-holic

6 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Hahaha yep. Since it was that particular poster that made the comment, I knew I needed to go to texags and read their thread on the show. WOW. Bigotry and lots of fast forwarding. Talk about snow flakes.

5 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

thanks for that.  now go have a shower, maybe a nap.  you earned it.

not to go all woke or cloak, but it's amazing to me how close some of them came without actually getting themselves there mentally.  i expected some "wtf is up with this gay shit, it wasn't in the game" or whatever.  but some of them clearly have the capacity to accept that there are people out in the world with differing lifestyles.  that's the hard part.  and they don't want it showcased in a game or show (or both) that they like - and that's fine too.  you can't please all the people all the time.

but to say that this is put there to "divide" us is just bonkers to me.

look where we are.  we have people from all different directions praising this episode of television.  i'm not sure i've ever seen a tv/movie based on a video game, and if i have, it certainly wasn't memorable.  to add, i typically don't like zombie shit.  at all.  i don't understand people who do either.  i've gotten into drunk arguments with a buddy who's watched every episode of twd and the spinoff, and is in mid-rewatch right now like gtfo with that.

i thought this episode accomplished the nearly impossible task of bridging the divide of people in the world through art, one of the only mediums that can really do that (besides sports).  this type of filmmaking should be roundly applauded by all, and has been so far (outside of the agenda seeking).

rant over.

p.s. whomever said "how could anyone take ron swanson seriously in this role" either didn't pay attention to the ron swanson character or doesn't know how offerman is in real life.  other than the gay part, this was very on-brand for offerman/swanson.  i thought the perimeter protection was a tribute to how swanson kept his cabins in parks and rec.  dude also has a real working woodshop, you can buy shit from there online.

I read a lot of the Tigerdroppings thread on the episode. Same shit. One offended poster in particular who kept posting how it was evil, satanic, and in numerous posts described how gay men have sex, in far more graphic language than anything seen in the show. He honestly seemed obsessed with the idea.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Whitewater Horn said:

There was one thing that bothered me about that episode, and that was the scene with the raiders that attempted to breach the compound on the stormy night.  With all of the meticulous planning and prepping by the self-described survivalist Bill, he goes out to battle the would be raiders with no body armor while firing from a completely exposed position in the middle of the street. I would have expected him to have a number of fortified positions from which to fire that would give him a significant advantage. Odd choice to show him do so many things all the way, but then go half ass when it came to planning for an actual shootout. 

At the end of the day, he was still a nerd that may not have had any real training. 

But I agree, it wasn't consistent with how seriously he took his security/preparation.  But we needed to get him shot for some reason.  No idea what that reason was because in the next scene he's recovered and it's forgotten.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Augustus said:

At the end of the day, he was still a nerd that may not have had any real training. 

But I agree, it wasn't consistent with how seriously he took his security/preparation.  But we needed to get him shot for some reason.  No idea what that reason was because in the next scene he's recovered and it's forgotten.

It was to show how he had developed a relationship with Joel over the years and to show that he cared enough about Frank to have also designed a contingency plan that included Joel. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Augustus said:

in the next scene he's recovered and it's forgotten.

That was my biggest issue with what was the least believable act of the show.  Agree on @Whitewater Horn's points 100%, and to add there - his booby traps are right outside the gates and not another even 20 or 50yds out.  Like he's excellent at making all this stuff but bad at using it?  But being gut shot from an AR w/ no trauma surgeon seems like a pretty high mortality rate.  

On 1/30/2023 at 1:27 PM, MissingInAction said:

What stood out to me was that I could tell by the health of the house plants that Joel and Ellie only missed their final days by a week. Ten days at most.

The food on the table hadn't broken down or grown mold or anything like that either.

There’s a lot of holes you could poke in two people sustaining a middle-upper class lifestyle in a compound like that for ten years with no help. Ya gotta let the the little things go and enjoy the ride.

I saw a criticism that show-Ellie is too brash and defiant beyond her years vs game-Ellie who acted more her age and took time to come into her own. I do hope they temper her a little. It seemed like we were heading that way last episode.

A totally immersive viewing experience. What a great episode. 

As soon as the gay themes emerged, I just knew there would be the usual cadre of hateful, weak minded, sad motherfuckers that are SO insecure with themselves that they cannot stand to watch two men briefly kiss. What fucking children they are to their core.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Whitewater Horn said:

There was one thing that bothered me about that episode, and that was the scene with the raiders that attempted to breach the compound on the stormy night.  With all of the meticulous planning and prepping by the self-described survivalist Bill, he goes out to battle the would be raiders with no body armor while firing from a completely exposed position in the middle of the street. I would have expected him to have a number of fortified positions from which to fire that would give him a significant advantage. Odd choice to show him do so many things all the way, but then go half ass when it came to planning for an actual shootout. 

Hahaha my only minor quibble as well. 

Should have been sniping them one by one from an unseen 2nd floor window etc

• Like 1

I thought the same thing at the time, but then I started to wonder if this wasn’t somewhat symbolic of how the average person plays video games - charge out into the action and start shooting, take a hit but not actually die.

Even if that’s not the case, the rest of the episode was so perfect that I give it a pass.

Same with the “10 miles west of Boston” caption and the fact that gasoline is somehow still useful after 20 years. Those types of details would bug me in a poorly written show like TWD or Yellowstone, but this show has earned some acceptance of the little things.
  • Hook 'Em 3

Not going to read any of this thread yet. I just finally watched the first episode tonight and it fucking wrecked me when Pedro Pascal's daughter was killed in 2003.

I'm not big on zombie flicks but have enjoyed 28 Days Later in the past. This looks pretty good so far.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Holy shit!  I couldn't place him. Thank you! 

For all y’all bleating that this was an exemplary episode of TV and Murray Bartlett’s acting, it doesn’t equal him shitting in a suitcase and accidentally getting stabbed.

Great episode though. I too thought after all his preparations for an attack him standing in the road was silly. I think he would have awakened Frank to engage the attackers with him from hidden protected positions, or he would have secured him in a safe room in the basement. Not standing in the street.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Not going to read any of this thread yet. I just finally watched the first episode tonight and it fucking wrecked me when Pedro Pascal's daughter was killed in 2003.
I'm not big on zombie flicks but have enjoyed 28 Days Later in the past. This looks pretty good so far.

I almost turned it off after she died. After having two daughters I just can’t take shit like that. Glad I didn’t though.
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Yeah, as soon as someone said he was Armond, I recognized him.  The beard threw me off.  

Same here on the beard.  When he was in the hole I thought well this is also an HBO show, so I googled the cast and confirmed.  He needs more parts in TV/movie.

I also thought they might be main stay characters the way they were talked referenced to in the beginning and shown in previews. Sucks they aren't. (I've never played the game).

Is there a Video Game Player Noob spoiler thread? Reddit has separate subs lol.

So this is based on a video game? Ugh, I despite video games and pretty much every movie based on them. This is everywhere though and the cast looks good. I assume this is it's own story and doesn't require one to be a gaming nerd to enjoy? I'll check it out eventually.

• Fuck You 1

So this is based on a video game? Ugh, I despite video games and pretty much every movie based on them. This is everywhere though and the cast looks good. I assume this is it's own story and doesn't require one to be a gaming nerd to enjoy? I'll check it out eventually.

Stop being a pussy.

I have never played the game. Never even heard of the game. So far the show is great and episode 3 is one of the best episodes of television in the last few years, if not longer.
  • Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Well, thanks for visiting the thread. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

16 hours ago, Augustus said:

16 hours ago, DeepEastTexas said:

It was to show how he had developed a relationship with Joel over the years and to show that he cared enough about Frank to have also designed a contingency plan that included Joel. 

deepeasttexas nailed it.

nothing in the game or the show really is a wasted interaction. it's hard to explain without getting too spoilery, but the timeline skips ahead here and there as they travel. the pieces of the timeline we see are important to the story. i'm sure they kill tons of runners and clickers in the in-between time, but that's not the point of the game's story. 

we saw bill get shot and his care for frank with his hurried instructions. he's not just some guy who chuckles when his booby traps work. now it matters. now it's more than the game it was, because of frank, and because of frank, bill has changed. that's what makes a good story. bill consented for frank to fix the place up a bit. he later says in the episode that he wasn't scared until frank came along. he changed over the course of the episode, in a loving and caring and amazing way. so when he gets shot, we see the depth of their care for each other. bill has made contingincies for frank, because of course he did. but it also underlined how close bill and joel become. there is so much implied off screen work (including the blowjob) going on in this episode and they dont insult the viewer by pounding it home that joel and bill are close in the fashion they can be given who they each are. we get bill and frank's relationship. joel and tess at dinner. then joel and ellie finding the letter.

goddamn, it's so good.

• Hook 'Em 3

14 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I saw a criticism that show-Ellie is too brash and defiant beyond her years vs game-Ellie who acted more her age and took time to come into her own. I do hope they temper her a little. It seemed like we were heading that way last episode.

my only criticism of ellie is just how european she looks.  it's not her fault, and her accent has been flawless, but yeah.  it's like she has resting british face.

• Haha 4

29 minutes ago, mooseoutfront said:

At the end of Ep 1 just after Joel, Tess, and Ellie left to start heading West the radio came on and played the Depeche Mode song.  According to the code, that meant trouble.  That was the night Bill and Frank had their last meal together.  Bill let Joel and Tess know something was up, but they never heard the warning.

I have to rewatch the first 3 episodes.  I've missed so many small things like this.

38 minutes ago, mooseoutfront said:

At the end of Ep 1 just after Joel, Tess, and Ellie left to start heading West the radio came on and played the Depeche Mode song.  According to the code, that meant trouble.  That was the night Bill and Frank had their last meal together.  Bill let Joel and Tess know something was up, but they never heard the warning.

8 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I have to rewatch the first 3 episodes.  I've missed so many small things like this.

fucking mooseoutfront told us.

i miss little things like this all the time, and i like to think i'm paying close attention.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

fucking mooseoutfront told us.

i miss little things like this all the time, and i like to think i'm paying close attention.

I didn't put it together until the scene where Joel, Tess, Bill, and Frank were having a meal on the lawn.  At the end of the scene when Frank and Tess were walking to the gate they were talking about the radio code.  I thought the code was going to be between Joel and his brother, but it ended up being between characters we had not been introduced to yet.  

It makes more sense if you are familiar with the lyrics of Never Let Me Down Again.  If you aren't a Depeche Mode fan I would suggest you look the lyrics up.

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, mooseoutfront said:

I didn't put it together until the scene where Joel, Tess, Bill, and Frank were having a meal on the lawn.  At the end of the scene when Frank and Tess were walking to the gate they were talking about the radio code.  I thought the code was going to be between Joel and his brother, but it ended up being between characters we had not been introduced to yet.  

It makes more sense if you are familiar with the lyrics of Never Let Me Down Again.  If you aren't a Depeche Mode fan I would suggest you look the lyrics up.

plus one again.

there is nothing missed in this show. not a wasted moment so far.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't think Bill did it on purpose though. Joel said something about how it's set to autoplay if Bill doesn't manually restart some type of timer mechanism. I took that as the Playlist kicked on by itself since Bill was dead and unable to reset the timer.
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Hmbre97 said:

I don't think Bill did it on purpose though. Joel said something about how it's set to autoplay if Bill doesn't manually restart some type of timer mechanism. I took that as the Playlist kicked on by itself since Bill was dead and unable to reset the timer.

That was my interpretation after rewatching the episode. My guess is about 1-2 weeks passed between Bill and Frank dying and Joel and Ellie showing up.

4 minutes ago, Hmbre97 said:

Wasn't the 80s playlist to warn Joel and Tess of danger or that something bad had happened? I think the assumption was if it was playing Bill and Frank were dead, either from the infected or from raiders. It was set to autoplay if something had happened to Bill since no one else would have access to the bunker. 

23 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

That was my interpretation after rewatching the episode. My guess is about 1-2 weeks passed between Bill and Frank dying and Joel and Ellie showing up.

Based on the condition of the flowers in front of their house I'd figure at least a week.

10 minutes ago, huge said:

Also, havent human body temps been lowering, where the 98.6 we grew up with is now more like 97.5?

i sure feel like 99 degrees on the thermometer is "warm" for my sons. when i take my temp with the digital forehead thing, i'm never above 98. usually something like 97.2. so i assume anything 2 degrees higher than me is a fever, even though i probably run cold.

Did I mention this already?   (I follow threads on multiple fora about this show)

Indonesian doc mentions flour is a perfect substrate.  Scientist at beginning of first episode says fungi would have to evolve to survive human body temps.

Wouldn't they have to hella evolve if they're gonna survive via flour/grain?  Just about anything that contains flour is gonna be baked/fried or otherwise cooked, yeah?

Just now, MissingInAction said:

My normal temp 96.4. I'm probably half fungus.

That is seriously abnormal.

Apparently, many people think that the typical body temp is 98.6 throughout the day, but that's not the case it all.  It's just an average, as the temp ranges from around 97.5 to 99.5 over a 24 our period.

If your average body temp is 96.4, you'd be risking hypothermia at some point every day.  Have you tracked your temp over an entire day before?

19 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Did I mention this already?   (I follow threads on multiple fora about this show)

Indonesian doc mentions flour is a perfect substrate.  Scientist at beginning of first episode says fungi would have to evolve to survive human body temps.

Wouldn't they have to hella evolve if they're gonna survive via flour/grain?  Just about anything that contains flour is gonna be baked/fried or otherwise cooked, yeah?

Yeah, I also thought that was a pretty big plot hole.

23 minutes ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

I think it would have made more sense if the insects infected with cordyceps would have started attacking humans.

They were in tough spot with understandably not wanting to have the characters wearing gas masks all the time.  But I suppose if the fungus could evolve to tolerate 98+ degrees, it could tolerate 350, right?

The first Spider Man with Toby whatever his name is drove me nuts because they had him constantly taking off his mask.  Motherfuckers, Spider Man wore a mask for a reason.  He didn't go around saying, "Oh this train's really heavy, better take my mask off."

• Haha 1