The Last of Us coming to HBO

rage-a-holic

1 hour ago, Augustus said:

Wouldn't they have to hella evolve if they're gonna survive via flour/grain?  Just about anything that contains flour is gonna be baked/fried or otherwise cooked, yeah?

12 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Maybe the baking temp “activates” the spores, but once the fungi start to grow they can’t survive such temps?

It's a dumb plot hole, which is why I thought the old lady was infected by airborne spores in Ep 1. 

Nobody eats raw flour and they fight spores/infected with fire.

"This is a special fungus. 375F in an oven? No problem. Fire? That kills em."

If you make something in your kitchen using flour, chances are good you are going to have flour contamination around your kitchen.  If you aren't OCD about food prep, you might even touch your face without washing hands first.  I really don't have a problem with imagining plausible scenarios where the old lady that cooked something with contaminated flour might have exposed herself to the contamination.  

1 hour ago, bernorange said:

If you make something in your kitchen using flour, chances are good you are going to have flour contamination around your kitchen.  If you aren't OCD about food prep, you might even touch your face without washing hands first.  I really don't have a problem with imagining plausible scenarios where the old lady that cooked something with contaminated flour might have exposed herself to the contamination.  

The wheelchair bound semi-vegetable old lady?

5 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

uh, yeah, i know she's british.  i said her accent was flawless, so that should've tipped you off that i knew she wasn't american.  she just looks really really british and it's distracting.

She looks more like a Habsburg to me.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Augustus said:

That is seriously abnormal.

Apparently, many people think that the typical body temp is 98.6 throughout the day, but that's not the case it all.  It's just an average, as the temp ranges from around 97.5 to 99.5 over a 24 our period.

If your average body temp is 96.4, you'd be risking hypothermia at some point every day.  Have you tracked your temp over an entire day before?

Actually no idea what it is, but it's been around that the last two physicals I got. It's also been at 97.2.

Maybe I'm confused.. who knows.. don't wanna thread jack.

On 1/30/2023 at 12:41 PM, hayden_horn said:

for those of you asking if that was in the game, i'll answer in spoiler tags, but i'm not spoiling anything, i don't think.

Hide contents

it's like they took a very minor plot point that's fairly subtly touched on in the game, and expanded it beyond your wildest imagination to tell a whole story

On 1/30/2023 at 12:41 PM, hayden_horn said:

and they did it in a way that i don't think i'll ever see done again. 

that was incredible. just fucking incredible.

Anybody that's watched Mythic Quest, they did something similar a few years ago with a Dark, Quiet, Death, although that was only like 30 minutes long.

Spoiler

They took some initials that had been carved into a pylon running through Ian's office and fleshed it out into this incredible little story that had a great beginning, middle, and end over the span of several years, complete with a love story.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1

Ep 2. Stuck in a building with blind zombos. Why wont they do the obvious thing that they also didn’t do in A Quiet Place: misdirect the baddies with sound. Pffffft. 

Children are a weird thing because took me a while to realize this teenager playing Ellie was the little kid in game of thrones. Geez. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Anybody that's watched Mythic Quest, they did something similar a few years ago with a Dark, Quiet, Death, although that was only like 30 minutes long.

Reveal hidden contents

They took some initials that had been carved into a pylon running through Ian's office and fleshed it out into this incredible little story that had a great beginning, middle, and end over the span of several years, complete with a love story.

The Magicians did an episode called “A life in a day” where two characters are trapped in a pocket world and build an entire life and death together.  It was also similarly very touching and well done. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Ep 2. Stuck in a building with blind zombos. Why wont they do the obvious thing that they also didn’t do in A Quiet Place: misdirect the baddies with sound. Pffffft. 

Stallone did this in Cobra when he distracted the psycho in the grocery store.  Popped open a yellow belly, took a swig, then threw the can a few rows over.  "You're the disease.  I'm the cure."  Absolutely horribad flick.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Hide contents

TLOU show runner Craig Mazin also wrote the phenomenal Mythic Quest episode “Backstory” from season 2.

image.thumb.jpeg.69e1eb73fb4acc43655ce2b5e6328b19.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

The Magicians did an episode called “A life in a day” where two characters are trapped in a pocket world and build an entire life and death together.  It was also similarly very touching and well done. 

and was previously done in multiple sci-fi shows; Stargate Atlantis comes to mind as a recent one.

16 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

upon rewatch, my favorite new moment is when bill pours the wine with his thumb in the punt like some upscale restaurant.

And the first wine they had on the last night was the same wine they had on the first night.  This show does the little things so well.

16 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

upon rewatch, my favorite new moment is when bill pours the wine with his thumb in the punt like some upscale restaurant.

This put Frank's gay-dar into overdrive.  He had to show Bill what he could do with his fingers over on the piano....

14 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Hide contents

I’m pretty meh on Mythic Quest but that episode was phenomenal 

• Like 1

On 2/1/2023 at 5:48 PM, MissingInAction said:

Actually no idea what it is, but it's been around that the last two physicals I got. It's also been at 97.2.

Maybe I'm confused.. who knows.. don't wanna thread jack.

Thread jack?

Dude, you could be the key to unraveling this whole mystery.

8 hours ago, Augustus said:

Thread jack?

Dude, you could be the key to unraveling this whole mystery.

Completely agree.  Also, let us know if you are straight, proudly gay, or the kind of gay that has to fast forward 3 seconds of a gay scene because deep down you realize you might catch it if you are exposed.

3 hours ago, Hornbeliever said:

Completely agree.  Also, let us know if you are straight, proudly gay, or the kind of gay that has to fast forward 3 seconds of a gay scene because deep down you realize you might catch it if you are exposed.

Straight, but I have a long association with professional musical theatre so that has confused people over the years.

On 2/2/2023 at 8:54 AM, Native Horn said:

Stallone did this in Cobra when he distracted the psycho in the grocery store.  Popped open a yellow belly, took a swig, then threw the can a few rows over.  "You're the disease.  I'm the cure."  Absolutely horribad flick.

Stallones portrayal of Sgt Cobretti was a true tour de force, so shut your whore mouth.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Red Five said:

They didn't say "Oh look, it's the exact same meal from 20 years ago" out loud, but I thought it was pretty obvious what they were doing. 

it's always better to not insult your audience's intelligence. it's the same fucking meal. you don't need a neon sign saying "hey, look, it's the same fucking meal!!!!" nor do you even need frank saying something like "just like our first meal."

in case you haven't noticed non-verbal communication is a key element to this show, and was in the game, which is part of what made it so revolutionary.

2 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

it's always better to not insult your audience's intelligence. it's the same fucking meal. you don't need a neon sign saying "hey, look, it's the same fucking meal!!!!" nor do you even need frank saying something like "just like our first meal."

You mean you didn't care for House of the Dragon's non-stop exposition, apparently for the benefit of non-bookfags?

The Queen arrives at the wedding in a stunning green dress.  Please take note that we said GREEN.

"Hey look, she's in a green dress.  Do you know what color the flame of the tower in Old Town burns when they call their banners?"

"Green. It burns green.  Which one might reflect upon when considering her choice of a GREEN dress.  For example, she is perhaps metaphorically calling her banners, thereby setting up an ongoing conflict between herself/her supporters against Rhaenyra and those who support the Princess, who might select their own color to identify their allegiance.  Black, for example, but definitely not GREEN."

"Hmmm, I hadn't thought of that.  I was just curious about the flame.  But you make an interesting point."

Edited by Augustus
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

On 2/1/2023 at 2:20 PM, crash_davis said:

You mean a show based on a digital game takes liberties with reality? The fuck!

spoilers, kind of. 

Hide contents

zo2phnv9vmfa1.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

I think it's funny when they dropped the hint early on. Maybe episode one....someone asks her if she is having issues with a boy and she is like....uh....fuck no. 

53 minutes ago, Augustus said:

You mean you didn't care for House of the Dragon's non-stop exposition, apparently for the benefit of non-bookfags?

The Queen arrives at the wedding in a stunning green dress.  Please take note that we said GREEN.

"Hey look, she's in a green dress.  Do you know what color the flame of the tower in Old Town burns when they call their banners?"

"Green. It burns green.  Which one might reflect upon when considering her choice of a GREEN dress.  For example, she is perhaps metaphorically calling her banners, thereby setting up an ongoing conflict between herself/her supporters against Rhaenyra and those who support the Princess, who might select their own color to identify their allegiance.  Black, for example, but definitely not GREEN."

"Hmmm, I hadn't thought of that.  I was just curious about the flame.  But you make an interesting point."

The show definitely needed some sort of explanation for the significance of the green dress, but providing it as the dress was being revealed was lazy writing. Should have had a conversation an episode or two earlier talking about the different colors of flame and what they mean, sort of how Game of Thrones explained a whole lot of things with Jon Snow's conversations with the maester at the wall.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1