The Last of Us coming to HBO

rage-a-holic

5 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Fast forwarding through the guys kissing and Frank wheelchair bound from HIV were both legit laugh out loud moments. Jesus christ 

Wut?

they were together for like 17 years before he became wheelchair bound. 
How could that be HIV?

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Augustus said:

At first I thought it was something like muscular dystrophy or ALS or MS, but then I recalled that he was in a lot of pain, so it seems cancer is the most likely culprit.

in the official podcast, Craig Mazin mentioned that it is some kind of degenerative neuromuscular disorder

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/1/2023 at 12:32 PM, hayden_horn said:

i sure feel like 99 degrees on the thermometer is "warm" for my sons. when i take my temp with the digital forehead thing, i'm never above 98. usually something like 97.2. so i assume anything 2 degrees higher than me is a fever, even though i probably run cold.

I listened to a podcast about this. The “normal” body temperature is based on almost no science at all. It was derived from a very small sample size without any real variables introduced.

It was codified into our collective consciousness because thermometer makers wanted to give people reasons to buy thermometers. They picked a number that someone gave them based on some cursory research and it became the known body temperature. 

Found it:

<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" height="130" width="100%" src="https://www.wnyc.org/widgets/ondemand_player/wnycstudios/#file=/audio/json/1105854/&share=1"></iframe>

Edited by Xminus6
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 2/2/2023 at 4:14 AM, Bateshorn said:

The Magicians did an episode called “A life in a day” where two characters are trapped in a pocket world and build an entire life and death together.  It was also similarly very touching and well done. 

I thought about that episode after watching episode 3 last week. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Same.  Magicians did it better. 

2 hours ago, Radical Larry said:

That was a fantastic episode.

Just wanted to echo this; I only found the series (The Magicians) a "B" effort but that episode was amazing and elevated the whole series. 

• Hook 'Em 1

did bill have an oil refinery?  how does he have viable gasoline 20 years after social collapse?

There have been references “there’s plenty of gas around if you know where to look”. They are using the concept that fuel doesn’t go bad. It would be varnish in all the old cars and gas stations.

1 minute ago, Poe It Up said:

Thanks, I definitely will. 

You're welcome. Just looking after your delicate sensibilities.

Poe, she said the pages were stuck together. You understand what she meant? Bill was jacking it and jizzing on the photos of naked dudes, Poe. Might have even been gay sex acts in the magazine. It wasn't clear. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Bojack said:

You're welcome. Just looking after your delicate sensibilities.

Poe, she said the pages were stuck together. You understand what she meant? Bill was jacking it and jizzing on the photos of naked dudes, Poe. Might have even been gay sex acts in the magazine. It wasn't clear. 

Are these magazines from when he was a kid? Because a 40 year old jacking off in his truck and blowing his load on the magazine is very creepy. 

• Haha 5
  • Fuck You 1

Going through major metros on the way to Wyoming seems like bad idea jeans.  Kansas city is a bit too far south to go anyway.  There are many different ways to cut around major cities and still hit decent sized towns to scavenge for gas. 

I told my wife that taking interstates was dumb as cities are going to be problems. I’d be going on U.S. highways and fm roads around cities and towns, and scouting routes across the Mississippi
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, futureman said:

... why is there a stupid fat shaky-voiced dumb cunt running a military outfit in kansas city?  ...

Maybe she just ate anyone who challenged her.  /jk

7 hours ago, gofuckyourself said:

... "welp this massively traveled highway is blocked at the tunnel by an 18-wheeler so now we have to double back 25 miles and find some incredibly narrow path through an incredibly dangerous cityscape" and oh gee whillickers we done got ambushed. Ayuck.

Or maybe like back up 200 yards and drive off the access road a little and you're back on your original fucking clear-as-day path you dumb fucking shits.

There were broken vehicles lining both sides of the road that prevented them from just going off road to the service road.  They were in a small truck, not a Monster truck.  Presumably, they went back as far as they had to to find a way off the main highway.  Presumably, the feeder road (and other roads) was (were) blocked at some point(s) to funnel incoming traffic into a trap/killzone.

7 hours ago, gofuckyourself said:

What annoys the shit out of me on this any zombie post-apocalyptic schlock is the stupidity of "welp this massively traveled highway is blocked at the tunnel by an 18-wheeler so now we have to double back 25 miles and find some incredibly narrow path through an incredibly dangerous cityscape" and oh gee whillickers we done got ambushed. Ayuck.

Or maybe like back up 200 yards and drive off the access road a little and you're back on your original fucking clear-as-day path you dumb fucking shits.

Sounds like the most boring and unrealistic video game ever created 

• Haha 1

Having played the game a little bit now, I appreciate certain elements of the show that are a direct reflection of the game:

-Walking across a plank to cross between buildings
-Needing Ellie to crawl through a small space to unlock a door from the other side
-Trying to go a certain direction only to have the path blocked and needing to find an alternate route

Agree that it seems stupid to go through downtown Kansas City, but maybe that was their least bad option at the time. It’s implied that it wasn’t their first choice. It could also be directly from the game (I haven’t played that far) so maybe they are trying to stick to that part of the story.

I appreciated Joel explaining that gas isn’t very good after 20 years, so at least the writers acknowledge what is often a plot hole in these types of dystopian future stories.

10 hours ago, futureman said:

who is in charge of casting?  why is there a stupid fat shaky-voiced dumb cunt running a military outfit in kansas city? 

We'll find out, won't we? They already alluded that something happened with her brother. Weird thing to be hung up on. 

The casting on this has been off the chart good. I've spotted a few background errors that I attribute to the original game story. One scene was straight out of a video game sequence when she inventoried her backpack, she had food, water, flashlight and a med kit. A little disappointed Joel couldn't figure out how to get past a blocked overpass without going downtown.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, futureman said:

finding a strong female presence isn’t hard.  she isn’t that.  she’d be a great actress for soccer mom baking cookies, not leading a large band of murderous meatheads.  it was a poor casting choice.  period. 

It's been one fucking episode we've seen her, you jackass.  

Jesus Christ.  Go fist yourself some more. 

• Hook 'Em 4