The Last of Us coming to HBO

rage-a-holic

9 hours ago, Macanudo said:

If you stay "north" you have to drive through/near Chicago on I-90.  Which again begs the question of why be on the interstates at all.   

Navigator didn't have the map reading skills to stay on the smaller highways

19 hours ago, Augustus said:

I was furious when they ran over the homemade spike strip and destroyed the tires, then lost the truck and all the supplies.

They had JUST GOTTEN the damn thing, and that kind of gear is priceless in that world.  Holy fuck that pissed me off.

Like many, I'm sure, I was yelling why are you driving into the downtown area of the city?!   If you have to backtrack to your starting point then fucking do it.

But I knew the answer why, of course.  Still maddening.

For real.  Not sure why they didn't just go to Discount Tire and get that shit fixed for free.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, WBT said:

Navigator didn't have the map reading skills to stay on the smaller highways

In all fariness, the map they were using was for the whole country that pretty much highlights the major routes.  Joel also said something when they saw the crashed airliner about not having been on one much.   He had not traveled a lot before 2003 and had pretty much only made his way from Austin to Boston.  I'd bet an overwhelmingly majority of people living today couldn't get from their house to a point on the other side of their town without using major highways.   I'm a map nerd and I have a better than average sense of direction.  I've always liked looking at them but most people would get lost without their phone let alone a hard copy of a detailed map.  

Sure, he had a 14 year old girl navigating but some better planning would gotten them off the major roads.    He and Tess had been out of Boston some to scavenge/scout.   But Lincoln (Where Bill and Frank were) is only about 15 miles away.   On foot, along with the hazards of getting in and out of the CZ, that's 4-5 hours minimum one way.   I doubt they ventured more than 20-30 miles away from Boston either north, west or south. 

did bill have an oil refinery?  how does he have viable gasoline 20 years after social collapse?

While it raised an eyebrow when they left Bill's, and in the siphoning scene, it was full on ridiculous when Kathleen unleashed the Mad Max-esque search and destroy team.  All I could think of was how wasteful it was to just be blowing through what has to be an incredibly scarce resource.

The 20+ yr old Chef Boyardee was also an eye-roller.  Both that it was still around and that it was edible.  Dealing with botulism in the apocalypse seems less than ideal.

In other suspension of disbelief tangents: When the bearded guy was showing Kathleen where he thought Joel and Ellie had been, I was really hoping he had happened upon a fresh pile of shit. Was disappoint.

4 hours ago, Mittens said:

When the bearded guy was showing Kathleen where he thought Joel and Ellie had been

Point of clarification. They were looking for Henry and his boy (the ones at the end of the episode), and they don’t know anything about Joel other than outsider killers are on the loose

• Hook 'Em 1

How are you going to tell me a man of Bill’s resourcefulness was not able to prospect for oil, simulate a development plan using material balance and finite volume analysis, drill a bunch of injector wells, produce the oil via CO2 drive, and then refine it into retail grade gasoline?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Foosters said:

I read somewhere that the bottle of Beaujolais used in Ep 3 was not actually Beaujolais being poured, but was instead a cheap merlot with a beaujolais label. I'm fucking outraged

that's weird, because beaujolais is already a cheap merlot with a beaujolais label.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

There are entire YouTube channels dedicated to eating 50+ year old canned food.

Yea the risk of botulism seems worth it compared to starvation. They haven’t really touched on it that I recall but are wildlife susceptible to the fungus? Haven’t shown any animals since the dog. 

On 2/6/2023 at 8:18 PM, Buzzrock said:

That episode (4) flew by, but it was the most TWD feeling episode so far and not in a good way. That whole crew lead by the unlikeable lady could have been straight out of a mid to late season of TWD. I hope we don’t linger on them for long.

100% this.  Very TWD-ish episode.  Quite a letdown after ep 3.

On 2/1/2023 at 4:21 PM, rage-a-holic said:

It's a dumb plot hole, which is why I thought the old lady was infected by airborne spores in Ep 1. 

Nobody eats raw flour and they fight spores/infected with fire.

"This is a special fungus. 375F in an oven? No problem. Fire? That kills em."

There are types of fungi whose spores have been shown to survive temperatures up to 230F .  The interior temperature of fully baked bread is 190F.  The spores just need to survive, then germinate when the temperature drops to a hospitable level.  

30 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

There are types of fungi whose spores have been shown to survive temperatures up to 230F .  The interior temperature of fully baked bread is 190F.  The spores just need to survive, then germinate when the temperature drops to a hospitable level.  

Breaking Bad Aaron GIF

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Yea the risk of botulism seems worth it compared to starvation. They haven’t really touched on it that I recall but are wildlife susceptible to the fungus? Haven’t shown any animals since the dog. 

I’m not an “expert” in the true sense of the word but I have done extensive research on wikipedia, nearly three to four minutes’ worth.  the cordyceps that makes insect zombies are all individual fungi species that evolved concurrently with that specific species  of insect.  so along those lines, whatever fungus is infecting humans in the show should not have an effect on other animals. 

10 minutes ago, futureman said:

I’m not an “expert” in the true sense of the word but I have done extensive research on wikipedia, nearly three to four minutes’ worth.  the cordyceps that makes insect zombies are all individual fungi species that evolved concurrently with that specific species  of insect.  so along those lines, whatever fungus is infecting humans in the show should not have an effect on other animals. 

It is all that gluten that humans stuff in their bodies.  In this version of the apocalypse  those with Celiac disease will escape the first wave

On 2/6/2023 at 12:12 AM, futureman said:

who is in charge of casting?  why is there a stupid fat shaky-voiced dumb cunt running a military outfit in kansas city?  if you feel compelled to cast a woman at least choose one that makes a lick of sense.  for fuck's sake.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

Lol this thread took a hard turn since post-episode 3 discussions. 

Every-time she comes on screen I mutter..."there's just something wrong with your face".  Stop showing close ups of the muppet. 

Super shitty to lose all your supplies right off the bat. Good job, Mando. Wtf. How about stop and reverse out of there when you see a dude faking injury.  

18 minutes ago, utxmike05 said:

Lol this thread took a hard turn since post-episode 3 discussions. 

Every-time she comes on screen I mutter..."there's just something wrong with your face".  Stop showing close ups of the muppet. 

Super shitty to lose all your supplies right off the bat. Good job, Mando. Wtf. How about stop and reverse out of there when you see a dude faking injury.  

Mando lost his ship and ended up in a smaller cruiser type

Lost his truck so he’ll be headed to Wyoming in a Miata

1 hour ago, utxmike05 said:

I wouldn't call it right off the bat.  

Boston to KC - 1400 miles

KC to Casper 750 miles

• Like 1

started this last night. just finished episode three, which was not what i expected, to say the least. looking forward to catching up on the rest of it tonight.

btw, so much of this show reminds me of the video game Far Cry 5 it's freaky. anyone here played both Far Cry as well as TLOU? i'm definitely going to have to check out TLOU video game, so i'm just wondering how the two games compare. 

28 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

started this last night. just finished episode three, which was not what i expected, to say the least. looking forward to catching up on the rest of it tonight.

btw, so much of this show reminds me of the video game Far Cry 5 it's freaky. anyone here played both Far Cry as well as TLOU? i'm definitely going to have to check out TLOU video game, so i'm just wondering how the two games compare. 

I've played both and aside from the "post-apocalyptic" setting that dozens of video games employ, they aren't alike at all.

• Hook 'Em 1