The Last of Us coming to HBO

rage-a-holic

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

Am I alone in thinking the past two episodes were meh? They did nothing to advance the story other than Joel getting medicine. And yes I know it’s following the game.

Dude this last episode was wild. I can see feeling meh about the mall flashback but this one advanced the story, showed new depth of the characters and was full of suspense and violence. Different strokes and all that but maybe you don’t like the show?

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, futureman said:

how does one arrive at the final evolution?  does it have to be a big person plus they require tons of steady food over a long period of time or what?

I have no insight into actual knowledge of the game or story but I just assumed locking all the infected away in tunnels created bad shit. I mean while some realism connects us to the show - it’s about a zombie apocalypse. I’m comfortable with not knowing the ins and outs of every fucked up danger. 

15 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Dude this last episode was wild. I can see feeling meh about the mall flashback but this one advanced the story, showed new depth of the characters and was full of suspense and violence. Different strokes and all that but maybe you don’t like the show?

First 5 episodes were amazing, last 2 were just good.

Didn’t get to watch until today. Agree with many of the comments here.

Incredibly intense episode that had me on the edge of my seat the entire time. Multiple fist pumps as the group of religious cannibals slowly got decimated. And that reunion between Ellie and Joel at the end…wow.

Bella Ramsey has been incredible in this series. Pedro Pascal as well, but given the last 2 episodes have been more Ellie centric, she’s started to steal the show.

With one episode left, this is probably the most polished season of television I’ve seen in several years.

• Like 2

Who said she couldn't act? Being a good actress doesn't make her look any less like a potato. 

This is a horrible take. Sorry the little girl in this show isn’t hot enough for you, but Bella Ramsey is doing a fantastic job and it’s hard to imagine a better casting at this point.
  • Hook 'Em 4

30 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

This is a horrible take. Sorry the little girl in this show isn’t hot enough for you, but Bella Ramsey is doing a fantastic job and it’s hard to imagine a better casting at this point.

i think he has the exact same take as you, he's just pointing out that nobody said that BR can't act, they simply (cruelly?) said she looks like a potato.

12 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

This. Advancing the storyline probably doesn't mean the same thing to the writers than to some of the audience. If the story line is supposed to be Ellie getting to her destination and scientists studying her and creatine an antidote and saving the world..... then I'm pretty sure the story needs to be as strung out as possible to make it a "story". The friends we made along the way, and what not........

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Just watch the last ep. Help me out here: The cultists claim Joel killed one of their people. Are they referring to one of the guys that were killed at the university? I've seen the game but can't remember anything. 

Wasn’t it the guy that stabbed Joel at the monkey school?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BurdineBandit said:

This. Advancing the storyline probably doesn't mean the same thing to the writers than to some of the audience. If the story line is supposed to be Ellie getting to her destination and scientists studying her and creatine an antidote and saving the world..... then I'm pretty sure the story needs to be as strung out as possible to make it a "story". The friends we made along the way, and what not........

And, not to get spoilery (haven't played the game, but know enough about how it ends), but Joel and Ellie's relationship IS the story, and this episode is crucial in impacting what decisions they both make in the finale.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

Wasn’t it the guy that stabbed Joel at the monkey school?  

That was my assumption but it's not like they ID'd the guy at the time. They had the cult guy blurt out "He killed Kenny!" like we were supposed to know who that is. 

13 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Just watch the last ep. Help me out here: The cultists claim Joel killed one of their people. Are they referring to one of the guys that were killed at the university? I've seen the game but can't remember anything. 

not a gamer but I just assumed that was the case.  seems to line up. 

14 hours ago, Helobious said:

Am I alone in thinking the past two episodes were meh? They did nothing to advance the story other than Joel getting medicine. And yes I know it’s following the game.

Earlier episodes were definitely the best.  This one did move along the story with the way she had to get the medicine.  Plus it gave her a chance to be solo wout Joel, and use what she has learned.  Glad they didn't have him come save the day completely.  

Joel: "It's OK, I believed him" (for the map location).  Damnnnnnn using that Narcos shit there. lol

1 hour ago, Sandman said:

Can't recall the exact dialogue, but the cult leader made it pretty clear that the group at the university were from his group when Ellie was holding a shotgun on him while they waited for the penicillin. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

we are not talking permafrost here.  does the ground get 'frozen' because of a colder winter?  asking for a Texan...

I tried to dig in the greenbelt behind my house In Austin once when it had been under 30 degrees for 3 days...had to use a pickaxe.

3 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

we are not talking permafrost here.  does the ground get 'frozen' because of a colder winter?  asking for a Texan...

In the Colorado high country, yes, it’s pretty frozen.  But it also seemed like an excuse for the pedo preacher to eat the guy instead of bury him. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

Come on up to my place in CO right now.  You won't get more than 6 inches into the ground right now.  Probably less.  It's difficult to dig in the summer because of all the rocks in the soil.  Then freeze it with snow on top, so it's icy and wet, too.

27 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

Christians, even Christian cults, don't burn dead bodies. You bury them, otherwise Jesus can't find them during the Rapture

Maybe in your neck of the woods.  We Episcopalians have cremated bodies for centuries.  (Also, the Rapture is an American evangelical theory not followed by older, more traditional denominations such as Roman Catholic, Orthodox, Anglican, and Lutheran).

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Come on up to my place in CO right now.  You won't get more than 6 inches into the ground right now.  Probably less.  It's difficult to dig in the summer because of all the rocks in the soil.  Then freeze it with snow on top, so it's icy and wet, too.

....South Austin/s Mom, blah blah blah blah

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

I was being semi-facetious, but yes, lots of hardcore/non-denominational Christian sects are strict "burial only" believers.

have they ever seen a dead body after its been buried for a while? if, according to them, jesus is digging that up after a few years or so - thats not going to be a good look for them...

4 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

have they ever seen a dead body after its been buried for a while? if, according to them, jesus is digging that up after a few years or so - thats not going to be a good look for them...

it sounds like you're trying to apply logic to religious beliefs

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

Not in a hard Colorado winter he ain’t!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Longhorn94 said:

i agree. i liked the ending and it definitely delivered but the first 45 minutes or so were just normal zombie show stories and it was a bit meh.... but the ending killed!

Literally.

As for the cannibalism, when they served the meal, the deer had not been brought back yet.    David walked in as they were being served.   No way they dressed and cooked the venison that fast.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Literally.

As for the cannibalism, when they served the meal, the deer had not been brought back yet.    David walked in as they were being served.   No way they dressed and cooked the venison that fast.

they were supposed to have had rations for a week, maybe two.  the deer they brought back didn’t have anything to do with it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Literally.

James told PP (Pedo Preacher) at the beginning they had 1-2 weeks of game meat left, they could have been eating anything.

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Este.  Starting around Halloween in Maine, the soil can not be dug without earth movers until Mid May, when mud season starts. 

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

James told PP (Pedo Preacher) at the beginning they had 1-2 weeks of game meat left, they could have been eating anything.

Given the bodies in the barn, I think "Game meat" was code for any meat, including humans. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I brought that up in Sunday school when I was like 10. I was basically told to STFU by the youth minister. In hindsight, I’m lucky I wasn’t raped.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

i agree. i liked the ending and it definitely delivered but the first 45 minutes or so were just normal zombie show stories and it was a bit meh.... but the ending killed!

There were zero zombies in the last episode. It was 100% human drama, terror, and violence. Aka awesome.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Hence the term “code” there was no other game in that barn. Kinda spoils the episode if in the first 5 minutes they ask how much human flesh they have remaining. 

Huh? PPs exact words were "How much do we have left? Venison, elk, rabbit."

You think they were having a private conversation and using code words? Ok.