SXSW canceled

ztejas

19 hours ago, landman said:

300 people have been killed on Texas roads so far this year. Maybe we should cancel cars as well. 

Love this one. 

In 2018 there were 36,650 deaths from fatal motor vehicle crashes in the US. 

The US has approx 350,000,000 people. 

For simplicity sake we take a very modest number and say every person in the US averages 1 hour per day in a motor vehicle (which is very low as it's probably more like 2-3 or more). 

So that means Americans spend 127.75 billion hours a year in a motor vehicle. 

So 36,650 deaths out of at minimum 127.75 billion hours driven gives a death per hour in motor vehicle rate of:

2.86 x 10 -7 power.   Again that's a very low estimate of hours per year. 

Motorcycle deaths account for a disproportionate rate of death compared to 4 or more wheeled vehicles so take those out if you never ride a motorcycle and it plummets even further.

So, yeah... No. 

Edited by Junior Miller

Off topic but I wonder if this will cause a paradigm shift in how many companies view allowing their employees to work from home. Imagine the overhead saved from downsizing office space.

Travel too. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of companies who have typically been viewing business travel expenses as a sunk cost see that, in 2020, there aren't that many things you really need to do face to face.

19 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

Love this one. 

For simplicity sake we take a very modest number and say every person in the US averages 1 hour per day in a motor vehicle (which is very low as it's probably more like 2-3 or more). 

So 36,650 deaths out of at minimum 127.75 billion hours driven gives a death per hour in motor vehicle rate of:

Motorcycle deaths account for a disproportionate rate of death compared to 4 or more wheeled vehicles so take those out if you never ride a motorcycle and it plummets even further.

So, yeah... No. 

The average American spends how many hours having close interaction (say being within 3-5 feet) with another on a daily basis - 6 ,7 hours?  At 7 hours, that's 894 billion a year.  And that's also likely low.  Start with sleeping with your spouse for 8 hours, throw in being around the kids in the morning and night, and the average husband/wife is probably in the 12 hour range.  Without ever leaving the house.  Now leave the house for work etc., and add everyone else in.

9 minutes ago, landman said:

The average American spends how many hours having close interaction (say being within 3-5 feet) with another on a daily basis - 6 ,7 hours?  At 7 hours, that's 894 billion a year.  And that's also likely low.  Start with sleeping with your spouse for 8 hours, throw in being around the kids in the morning and night, and the average husband/wife is probably in the 12 hour range.  Without ever leaving the house.  Now leave the house for work etc., and add everyone else in.

And factor in all of us who are also sleeping with your wife.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, landman said:

That's why you can't stop the transmission. It's going to work its way through the population of the world. What's critical is to slow the rate of transmission enough to not overwhelm the medical infrastructure at any given point in time. That's why you cancel school for several weeks and postpone large gatherings of people while making sure everyone is at least told to wash hands, stop shaking hands, and stop touching your face/eating if you haven't washed your hands. 

With the statistical rate of fatal auto accidents being so low there isn't a danger of overwhelming the medical infrastructure with them. With this virus there is certainly the danger of doing so if proactive measures aren't taken until we get more info and can see exactly what we're dealing with. That's the difference. 

Damn, that's crazy. 

Three days after its flagship 10-day festival was canceled by city officials, SXSW has begun layoffs. On Monday, March 9, the company, which is headquartered on Lavaca Street in downtown Austin, laid off about 30 percent of its employees, most of whom are reportedly in the SXSW Music sector.

The news was first reported by Elizabeth Findell, a reporter at the Wall Street Journal, and confirmed by CultureMap by a source with knowledge of the situation. In response, SXSW issued the following statement: 

“Due to the City of Austin’s unprecedented and unexpected cancellation of the SXSW 2020 events in March, SXSW has been rigorously reviewing our operations, and we are in the unimaginable position of reducing our workforce. Today we said goodbye to approximately one-third of our full-time staff.”

"Those of us in the business of live events know the level of trust required to execute an event of SXSW’s scale, and we are deeply sad to let people go this soon. We are planning for the future and this was a necessary, but heartbreaking step.”

Despite its dramatic economic impact (the festival brought $355 million into the local economy last year), the decision to cancel SXSW amid fears of coronavirus was made on March 6 by Austin city officials.

Later that evening, SXSW co-founder Nick Barbaro told the Austin Chronicle that SXSW does not have insurance to cover communicable diseases, viruses, and pandemics. (Barbaro is also the publisher of the Chronicle.) This was reiterated by CEO Roland Swenson, who told the WSJ they were "unsure how they will keep the festival going" in the wake of the cancellation.

Despite the cancellation, many members of Austin's music community pledged to continue with non-SXSW sanctioned shows. They were dealt a blow on Monday, March 9, when the city issued the following statement:

"From now through May 1, events with 2,500 or more people are prohibited unless organizers are able to assure Austin Public Health (APH) that mitigation plans for infectious diseases are in place."

http://austin.culturemap.com/news/city-life/03-09-20-sxsw-issues-layoffs-after-festival-is-canceled-by-austin-officials/?utm_source=daily-digest&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=website&mc_cid=b4e6857bc5&mc_eid=a3738ba622

4 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Despite the cancellation, many members of Austin's music community pledged to continue with non-SXSW sanctioned shows. They were dealt a blow on Monday, March 9, when the city issued the following statement:

"From now through May 1, events with 2,500 or more people are prohibited unless organizers are able to assure Austin Public Health (APH) that mitigation plans for infectious diseases are in place."

http://austin.culturemap.com/news/city-life/03-09-20-sxsw-issues-layoffs-after-festival-is-canceled-by-austin-officials/?utm_source=daily-digest&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=website&mc_cid=b4e6857bc5&mc_eid=a3738ba622

So that now puts the rodeo in question.  Getting more ridiculous everyday.

36 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Damn, that's crazy. 

Three days after its flagship 10-day festival was canceled by city officials, SXSW has begun layoffs. On Monday, March 9, the company, which is headquartered on Lavaca Street in downtown Austin, laid off about 30 percent of its employees, most of whom are reportedly in the SXSW Music sector.

The news was first reported by Elizabeth Findell, a reporter at the Wall Street Journal, and confirmed by CultureMap by a source with knowledge of the situation. In response, SXSW issued the following statement: 

“Due to the City of Austin’s unprecedented and unexpected cancellation of the SXSW 2020 events in March, SXSW has been rigorously reviewing our operations, and we are in the unimaginable position of reducing our workforce. Today we said goodbye to approximately one-third of our full-time staff.”

"Those of us in the business of live events know the level of trust required to execute an event of SXSW’s scale, and we are deeply sad to let people go this soon. We are planning for the future and this was a necessary, but heartbreaking step.”

Despite its dramatic economic impact (the festival brought $355 million into the local economy last year), the decision to cancel SXSW amid fears of coronavirus was made on March 6 by Austin city officials.

Later that evening, SXSW co-founder Nick Barbaro told the Austin Chronicle that SXSW does not have insurance to cover communicable diseases, viruses, and pandemics. (Barbaro is also the publisher of the Chronicle.) This was reiterated by CEO Roland Swenson, who told the WSJ they were "unsure how they will keep the festival going" in the wake of the cancellation.

Hmmm. It’s almost like it was fucking stupid to purchase land in the most expensive part of town and build a new headquarters from scratch. 

Im sure those employees cleaning out their office can take a second to appreciate the gorgeous building on their way out the door. 

• Like 4

Unless he gets enough petition signatures to run again.  

Curious to see Eckhart ponied up so close to Kirk Watson in those photos.  Almost like she wants his job.  She's trying to run to the left of him in this election, too bad she'll be endorsed and supported by so many Republicans who don't have a dog in the District 14 hunt this cycle.  

3 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Decision to cancel SXSW  was made March 6 by Austin city officials.  Despitecancellation, many members of Austin's music community pledged to continue with non-SXSW sanctioned shows. They were dealt a blow on Monday, March 9, when the city issued the following statement:  "From now through May 1, events with 2,500 or more people are prohibited unless organizers are able to assure Austin Public Health (APH) that mitigation plans for infectious diseases are in place."

Seems like political suicide for City of Austin politicians to go to this extreme.  Music, Church & Rodeo community folks may retaliate...

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Seems like political suicide for City of Austin politicians to go to this extreme.  Music, Church & Rodeo community folks may retaliate...

Travis County Commissioner may join them.  They are discussing today what to do about the Rodeo, Luck, etc.

The lunatics are running the asylum.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Hmmm. It’s almost like it was fucking stupid to purchase land in the most expensive part of town and build a new headquarters from scratch. 

Im sure those employees cleaning out their office can take a second to appreciate the gorgeous building on their way out the door. 

Yeah, no shit. 

I think Austin may have more than one or two big weekends each year.  Most of which don't take place anywhere near the convention center.  Now in terms of REVPAR for hotels, then yes...convention center business is always gonna be the biggest driver.  BUt in terms of just dollars plunked down---SXSW is still king, but think about everything else that has nothing to do with the Convention Center.  I'll hang up and listen.  

Just now, ChickenSandwich said:

Bright side is there should be some 78704 condos in bankruptcy soon with no Air BnB SXSW revenue this year.

Need to get my mind out of the gutter....

At first glance I thought above read "Bright side is there should be some 78704 condoms in" 

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Technically SXSW is still happening. It's just not happening under a trademarked name.

At least the real portion anyway (music). Don't care about the others.

At least Stubbs is small enough to still have music during the City of Austin ban...

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
STUBBS-TECHPACK-53.jpg

WALLER CREEK AMPHITHEATER

Capacity:   2200 Standing Room Only

Edited by LTtxfan

If Corona beer had a half a ball, they'd sponsor some huge name band/headliner in some venue that's comfortably under 2,500 (1,500-2,000 or so).  I mean a huge band like The Who or Willie Nelson or Guns n' Roses.  In a place that took proper protocols where you'd feel safer than some bar with 300 people and no idea what soap is.  

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

If Corona beer had a half a ball, they'd sponsor some huge name band/headliner in some venue that's comfortably under 2,500 (1,500-2,000 or so).  I mean a huge band like The Who or Willie Nelson or Guns n' Roses.  In a place that took proper protocols where you'd feel safer than some bar with 300 people and no idea what soap is.  

Reminds me of street parties in college... Set up 10 bands at different locations that are 6 blocks apart -- then everyone can meander from one Band to another... 😀

• Like 2

lol! Adler is going straight to a gated community somewhere other than inside the city of Austin when this term is up. Austin politics/corruption has been extremely profitable for that cat.

13 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

From now through May 1, events with 2,500 or more people are prohibited unless organizers are able to assure Austin Public Health (APH) that mitigation plans for infectious diseases are in place."

I'm curious what steps an event could take that would qualify as acceptable mitigation plans for infectious diseases. Setting aside how impactful the disease may be to normally healthy attendees, it does seem obvious  that this virus spreads pretty easily. Everyone has to pinky swear not to cough or breathe heavily? Seems like if 5 infected people enter a venue with 5000 people, a lot more will leave with it, no? 

18 hours ago, Tailgate said:

Isn’t Post Malone supposed to play at the Erwin Center tonight? I assume that’s canceled? Or maybe Erwin Center has plans to deal with this.

there's nothing on the FEC website... i'm quite curious, i have Sturgill Simpson tickets in 2 weeks 🤔

i figure it'll be obvious by then, if things rapidly increase and really start going to shit...

Edited by mchookem

I regularly listen to the Texas Monthly podcast The National Podcast of Texas.  Yesterday Steve Adler was interviewed about the decision to cancel SXSW.  I'm only about half way through, but understand the main reason was to discourage 6000+ people from Seattle from coming to Austin.  I'm no fan of Alder, but I get trying to stop 6000+ people from the highest infected area of the US from coming to Austin.

Edited by Jerry Callo

30 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I regularly listen to the Texas Monthly podcast The National Podcast of Texas.  Yesterday Steve Adler was interviewed about the decision to cancel SXSW.  I'm only about half way through, but understand the main reason was to discourage 6000+ people from Seattle from coming to Austin.  I'm no fan of Alder, but I get trying to stop 6000+ people from the highest infected area of the US from coming to Austin.

Man, yet again proves Seattle is the worst.

12 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Heard a rumor that if the State of Texas had declared a state of emergency before COA cancelled SX, that the insurance would have kicked in.  Any truth to this?

SXSW has stated they didn’t have insurance for cancellation caused by infections disease. 

2 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Anybody told Mayor Smugass that we have a few dozen homeless here in Austin that are recent transplants from Seattle?  nothing to worry about though, I've seen their encampments and they are certainly adhering to hygiene best practices.  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Anybody told Mayor Smugass that we have a few dozen homeless here in Austin that are recent transplants from Seattle?  nothing to worry about though, I've seen their encampments and they are certainly adhering to hygiene best practices.  

That would be Funeral Home Director Smugass.   But that's just a technicality. 

Wonder if the Rodeo people will "retaliate" against their local officials for dealing with this very serious issue.....

Anyways, I'll likely be at Hotel Vegas this weekend, maybe thinking about checking out some other shows at Far Out Lounge (never been). I like that the week is shaping up to be local as hell.

On 3/6/2020 at 7:47 PM, Wally Fairway said:

Only a matter of time until the Houston Rodeo is cancelled.

amirite?

Bang!!!

On 3/6/2020 at 10:07 PM, Lat22 said:

Lol. Not a chance. 

I'm either a great fortune teller, or I just say enough stupid shit that every once in  awhile I get something right

• Like 2

Emergency meeting tonight with the board of Rodeo Austin.  So likely heading down the same path.

I thought AISD was really stupid for cancelling school last year for bad weather that never happened.  But this coronavirus panic takes the cake.

On 3/8/2020 at 1:17 PM, Junior Miller said:

Love this one. 

So, yeah... No. 

I don’t necessarily disagree with your opinion, but you could do the same analysis with communicable diseases and calculate the death rate per hours that people breathe.

Downtown Austin is going to be a breeding ground over the next two weeks. The social distancing warnings will not be heard and kids will continue to party out of spite for all of the cancellations that are taking place. If I was a 60+ year old, I'd stay faaaaaarrrr the fuck away from 20 somethings for the next few months. 

Edited by CheesePie
  • Like 1