Katie Porter is a very bright woman

Gil Bang

12 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

That is Representative Mike Rogers of Alabama’s Third Congressional District. Includes parts of Montgomery and East Alabama up to Fort Payne and down to Auburn.

Appears he’s gotten a new toupee as well lol.b7faee7cf7d205bc639f178108156b13.jpg

Smiley Face Drawn On Thumb High-Res Stock Photo - Getty Images

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

How 'bout this guy?

Jim Bob Duggar

You know, I'm as anti-redneck/pro-gay as I will probably ever be in my lifetime.  But I'm really sick and tired of people bagging on the Duggar family.  It's a flawed American family that put themselves out there, yeah probably out of attention seeking.  But their cardinal sin is they are a family of sinners.  Big fucking shock.  Put either side of my family up on TV and see how well we fare.  They at least care about each other and their community and that's more than I can say for a lot of liberal families.  

And Jim Duggar is not a closeted homosexual.  He's not gay.  He just likes to watch.  His son.  Touch his daughter.  What's so hard to accept about that America?  At least they own guns and will not be enslaved by the "Woke" mentality nor CRT.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

You know, I'm as anti-redneck/pro-gay as I will probably ever be in my lifetime.  But I'm really sick and tired of people bagging on the Duggar family.  It's a flawed American family that put themselves out there, yeah probably out of attention seeking.  But their cardinal sin is they are a family of sinners.  Big fucking shock.  Put either side of my family up on TV and see how well we fare.  They at least care about each other and their community and that's more than I can say for a lot of liberal families.  

And Jim Duggar is not a closeted homosexual.  He's not gay.  He just likes to watch.  His son.  Touch his daughter.  What's so hard to accept about that America?  At least they own guns and will not be enslaved by the "Woke" mentality nor CRT.  

Eddie Murphy What GIF by Amazon Prime Video

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

She’s in!

it's a shame that Diane Feinstein has held on this long when reports say she isn't all there these days. You never want to see someone hang on longer than the can, especially when it's a critical job for our country. Also, as much as you want to respect and honor them for their past public service, it's not a lifetime appointment.

Not to mention that we need more primary battles not fewer. As districts and states are less and less competitive, the only way to discover who best serves a community will be the primary battle. Guess who disagrees with that? Office holders.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

what we really, really need is for Feinstein to resign immediately, but I'm not 100% sure Katie would be Newsom's pick.  Her district is pretty tight.  I'm not quite sure another Dem could hold that seat.  

I'm assuming Newsom doesn't want that smoke of who to pick to replace DiFi if she resigned early.  Whoever is picked is probably the favorite for the seat in 2024.  With Padilla just winning a new term, a bunch of them are going to be yet again locked out of the Senate seats.  

I'm sure Newsom would rather the voters decide and he keeps his hands clean. "You do it, not me" 

Also appears Harley Rouda (2 years as a rep in the old CA-48 and barely lost in 2020) is going to run for Porter's seat. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Js1 said:

Also appears Harley Rouda (2 years as a rep in the old CA-48 and barely lost in 2020) is going to run for Porter's seat. 

I think I have told this story before on here, but I wanted to see if I could live in SoCal so in 2018 I did just that and went to Huntington Beach. I discovered I enjoyed daily life in New York more, but before I left I was registered to vote there. I got to cast a vote that helped send Dana Rohrabacher into a forced early retirement and Rouda took his place. I think he’ll win Porter’s seat if he runs for it. He’s mostly middle of the road and would be a good rep.

Interesting article from Vox for us outside of Cali to get up to speed: 

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/policy-and-politics/23549024/katie-porter-kick-off-california-senate-race-2024-orange-county-dianne-feinstein

She has also only run in a majority-white region of Southern California, and will have to develop and implement a strategy to reach the millions of Asian, Black, and Latino voters that make up about half of California’s electorate. That tension in outreach and representation was magnified during the succession fight over Vice President Kamala Harris’s Senate seat when she and Biden were elected. Her vacancy left the Senate with zero Black female representation, and leaders from every demographic group in California were vying for the seat that Sen. Alex Padilla was ultimately appointed to (and which he won for a full term in November). Faced with a diverse field of candidates, Porter won’t be able to make the same case for representation as some of her likely rivals can for increasing representation in California and in the Senate.

Edited by HamsterHookah

2 hours ago, HamsterHookah said:

Interesting article from Vox for us outside of Cali to get up to speed: 

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/policy-and-politics/23549024/katie-porter-kick-off-california-senate-race-2024-orange-county-dianne-feinstein

She has also only run in a majority-white region of Southern California, and will have to develop and implement a strategy to reach the millions of Asian, Black, and Latino voters that make up about half of California’s electorate. That tension in outreach and representation was magnified during the succession fight over Vice President Kamala Harris’s Senate seat when she and Biden were elected. Her vacancy left the Senate with zero Black female representation, and leaders from every demographic group in California were vying for the seat that Sen. Alex Padilla was ultimately appointed to (and which he won for a full term in November). Faced with a diverse field of candidates, Porter won’t be able to make the same case for representation as some of her likely rivals can for increasing representation in California and in the Senate.

I love Katy Porter, but I don't like the odds for the reasons you've stated. That being said, lets not pretend Diane Feinstein resonates with Blacks, Minorities, et al for all the varied groups in California.

You want to know a strategy if Feinstein decides to run again? Force her fucking ass to debate. That'll clear her out real fucking fast. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I love Katy Porter, but I don't like the odds for the reasons you've stated. That being said, lets not pretend Diane Feinstein resonates with Blacks, Minorities, et al for all the varied groups in California.

You want to know a strategy if Feinstein decides to run again? Force her fucking ass to debate. That'll clear her out real fucking fast. 

Yep and not my points, I was quoting Vox, which I defer to on Cali political reporting and Porter's impact, etc.

The article further posits that by vacating her post, which has a history of being R and seems to be trending back that direction, she was a bulwark against the R's. 

2 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

Yep and not my points, I was quoting Vox, which I defer to on Cali political reporting and Porter's impact, etc.

The article further posits that by vacating her post, which has a history of being R and seems to be trending back that direction, she was a bulwark against the R's. 

Yeah man, I know it wasn't your words and thoughts, regardless of me saying "you've." 

She barely won last time, and I'm pretty sure she didn't feel great about her shot at winning in 2 years from now, hence her trying to make the move.

I'm not going to waste my time worrying about house seats that are a bulwark against R's, when Gerrymandering and D's fucking up their Gerrymandering are a much larger threat than one seat in Cali. But particularly in this instance where Porter truly is a rare and amazing rep, and honestly we want and need her on a bigger stage than a hosue seat in southern california. We need her in the Senate, or as Speaker. One of those things is guaranteed not to happen, so....

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah man, I know it wasn't your words and thoughts, regardless of me saying "you've." 

She barely won last time, and I'm pretty sure she didn't feel great about her shot at winning in 2 years from now, hence her trying to make the move.

I'm not going to waste my time worrying about house seats that are a bulwark against R's, when Gerrymandering and D's fucking up their Gerrymandering are a much larger threat than one seat in Cali. But particularly in this instance where Porter truly is a rare and amazing rep, and honestly we want and need her on a bigger stage than a hosue seat in southern california. We need her in the Senate, or as Speaker. One of those things is guaranteed not to happen, so....

I think most people on this site agree with you on that.

What I'm curious to see play out is if the people of California believe that in the modern world of "representation matters".

I don't know how it will play out, but I do wonder if not being an underrepresented minority will discount or disqualify her from her/your goals (of which she is optimized for) due to it being the "our time" for non-white representation especially in the left of center to far left areas of the big tent. Essentially the same headwinds that another wunderkind and uber-talent like Mayor Pete will face to achieve his ambitions.

Edited by HamsterHookah

8 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

I think most people on this site agree with you on that.

What I'm curious to see play out is if the people of California believe that in the modern world of "representation matters".

I don't know how it will play out, but I do wonder if not being an underrepresented minority will discount or disqualify her from her/your goals (of which she is optimized for) due to it being the "our time" for non-white representation especially in the left of center to far left areas of the big tent. Essentially the same headwinds that another wunderkind and uber-talent like Mayor Pete will face to achieve his ambitions.

California was represented by 2 white women in the Senate for decades.  Who routinely were re-elected with huge margins. 

Katie Porter is a rock star.  End of discussion. 

• Hook 'Em 5

20 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

I think I have told this story before on here, but I wanted to see if I could live in SoCal so in 2018 I did just that and went to Huntington Beach. I discovered I enjoyed daily life in New York more, but before I left I was registered to vote there. I got to cast a vote that helped send Dana Rohrabacher into a forced early retirement and Rouda took his place. I think he’ll win Porter’s seat if he runs for it. He’s mostly middle of the road and would be a good rep.

With all due respect, HB isn't exactly "California".   It is an island of semi-affluent hillbillies. It is the Florida of California, of this there is no debate.   They elected Tito fucking Ortiz to the City Council.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mad Season 1 GIF by The Good Place

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/26/politics/adam-schiff-california-senate-campaign/index.html

Democratic Rep. Adam Schiff announced a 2024 Senate bid on Thursday, launching a campaign for Sen. Dianne Feinstein’s seat in what is shaping up to be a competitive Democratic primary.

“I look forward to campaigning hard in this race, meeting Californians where they are, and listening to what they want from their next Senator. I hope to earn their votes and their trust,” Schiff said in a statement announcing his run.

• Rage+1 1

I've long believed the biggest problem the Democratic Party has in regards to achieving it's goals, is the Democratic Party.  Goddamn shooting themselves in the foot motherfuckers and can never figure out why they're always pushing that rock uphill.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 1/7/2023 at 12:43 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

“California Democratic Reps. Barbara Lee and Adam Schiff are also among the slate of Democrats eyeing the Senate seat, which Feinstein first won in 1992.

Schiff, who first said he was eyeing the Senate after passing on a House leadership bid in November, has been making calls for weeks and said he would consider running if Feinstein does not run.”

This was expected. Have a good race and let the voters decide. I think either of them would do fine. Schiff has as much right to run as Porter does.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 1/10/2023 at 11:59 PM, UpperWestside said:

This is the equivalent of telling everyone you're moving to NYC, then signing a lease in Staten Island.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

This is fucking dumb.  God dammit Schiff.

51 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's terrible party planning, in California and in a national sense.

Are y’all being idiots again and somehow blaming the Dems? I thought competitive primaries were a good thing.

California Senate seats don’t open up very often. It took 24 years for the last one to open up (Boxer retiring), that wasn’t due to a vacancy (Harris resigning). These people want to move up. 

Padilla is 49 and just got re-elected and could hold that seat another 35-40 years 

Newsom isn’t up until 2026 (term limited)

These people are tired of waiting. You seize the opportunity (DiFi likely retiring) when it’s there or you’re SOL

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, I don't think I'm being an idiot, but you obviously think otherwise.  I don't think California should be pitting two of their sharpest Dem legislators in the same race.  Period.

You are wishcasting that a politician will put their personal ambitions and careers second to the general political party’s best interest?

Edited by HamsterHookah
  • Fuck You 1

Do you think the CDP was like "please everyone run and make this contentious!" 

Schiff, Lee and Porter have decided they want to move up to the Senate in a seat that may not open up again for 30-40 years, barring someone being elevated to the executive branch, dying or scandal.  The party can pressure them all it wants to not run, but the national party should not try to tip the scale in an open race (which it likely will be). 

You put your best candidates forward and let the electorate choose. 

Schiff is 62 and Lee is 76, they know this is probably their last shot to be in the Senate. Period. 

For Lee, this might be it for her, regardless.  

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, I don't think I'm being an idiot, but you obviously think otherwise.  I don't think California should be pitting two of their sharpest Dem legislators in the same race.  Period.

Are you under the impression that they are being forced to run for the Senate seat by the democratic party? I'm not sure why this bothers you, but if it does, your blame should fall on Porter and Schiff before it does the democratic party.