Katie Porter is a very bright woman

Gil Bang

14 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Are you under the impression that they are being forced to run for the Senate seat by the democratic party? I'm not sure why this bothers you, but if it does, your blame should fall on Porter and Schiff before it does the democratic party. 

Yes, I blame them both, but especially Schiff.  She is a fantastic young rep that kicks ass and takes names.  He does his job well, but I would rather him stay in the House.  Shit, he could be speaker if he plays his cards right.

6 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yes, I blame them both, but especially Schiff.  She is a fantastic young rep that kicks ass and takes names.  He does his job well, but I would rather him stay in the House.  Shit, he could be speaker if he plays his cards right.

I’m sure he’s very concerned about what you think. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Schiff ain’t even close to being Speaker

Look, I love Porter, she is amazing. But no one is entitled to that seat. She has to earn it. Even if DiFi came out and said “I want Porter to succeed me,” it’s still up to to the voters. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Are you under the impression that they are being forced to run for the Senate seat by the democratic party?

Oh, for pity's sake.  No, I don't think they are being forced.  I think it's a classic Dem blunder -- no concept of strategy or tactics.  It cuts across the whole party.

• Rage+1 1

34 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Schiff has been a Representative since 2000. Porter since 2018. Presumably “good party planning” means Schiff should run unopposed for Feinstein’s seat and Porter should wait her turn. She hasn’t put in the time that Schiff has. It’s his turn. 

That’s how we end up with Frank Underwood 

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

strategy or tactics

Try thinking about it this way. They both want it. The mothership is not telling them to not run. That's what you are essentially asking. One of them to stand down. Is that strategic planning? Anointing one over the other? 

Let's see what they have. I would be willing to vote for either of them. I don't know squat about Lee. She has to be a longshot. 

The better question is which one can win. Unless one of them fucks up somehow it could be a close race.

It's really not - you're assuming that the person you like should waltz into that seat because....you like them. 

Iron sharpens iron.  Schiff and Lee should make Porter a stronger GE candidate.  Schiff may also be using this for a potential 2026 governor run.  In fact, either one could run in 2026 if they lose the primary. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

You realize that this is the Democratic Party, right? It's a herd of cats. That's both a strength and a weakness. 

Porter and Schiff aren't sitting on the bench waiting to be sent in. They decide. Porter is wonderful. Schiff has proven to me that he is the stuff of a great man. He'd have my vote based on what I know now. Porter could be marked for greatness as well, so it's a great set of choices for Californians.

I wish the loser could represent Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'd rather have one in the Senate and one in the House.  Now that's off the table, unless I'm missing something.

What are the resources at play and typically on the table from the Dem party to try and have good candidates play nice on timetables together? Can you legally offer any goodies or head coach-in-waiting type deals to keep a Schiff from running against a Porter? Anything at disposal that is more than just promises and has teeth?

What has the party done in the past it anything?

Who is 76 in this scenario?  You wish Feinstein was that young...

Cracks me the fuck up this, "Porter or Schiff would have to appeal to the people of color of California."  

Cranston, Wilson, Seymour, Boxer, Feinstein, et. al.  Since I've had family in California, I lived/attended school in California...get the fuck off your soapbox with this shit.  Other than a couple of exceptions since the dawn of the 20th century...California for all its diversity has had zero fucking problem electing old white people.  Schiff should do house leadership and Porter should be the junior senator for a full generation.  Period.  Full stop.  Neg rep me if you need to, but absolutely zero doubt in my mind the Democratic party will find a way to fuck this up.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Well aren't you just a cranky bitch.

I thought that’s what you were being. You like Katie and want to see her win the Senate seat and so acted as though Adam shouldn’t oppose her. You actually said you “blame” him. It’s really not your call. I think they’re both capable and qualified and I’d be happy with either of them winning. If Schiff wins, it’s not like that will mean the end of Porter’s career in public service. I think this is all normal and totally to be expected and I’m surprised anyone is acting pissy about it. I didn’t see that coming. 

What are the resources at play and typically on the table from the Dem party to try and have good candidates play nice on timetables together? Can you legally offer any goodies or head coach-in-waiting type deals to keep a Schiff from running against a Porter? Anything at disposal that is more than just promises and has teeth?
What has the party done in the past it anything?

Money. That’s the only real power the dem party has, either at the state or national level. And call lists to get money. They alienate half their donors when they put their thumb on the scale.

Schiff and Porter are nationally recognized names, so they probably raise more for the party than they get from it.

One of the interesting dynamics is the candidate to candidate donations. Someone like AOC fundraises like a mofo, doesn’t need much in her district, and donates to other progressive candidates, earning loyalty in the process. It’s almost like a party within a party.

The party leadership isn’t nearly as powerful as most people assume. It’s not like a company. They are more like a well funded PAC.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Queen Bitch said:

This is the equivalent of telling everyone you're moving to NYC, then signing a lease in Staten Island.

I was only there for the beach, not the people, who were admittedly really odd. The only people I spoke to regularly there were people at the dog park area in my apartment complex. Not surprisingly, none were from Cali. One woman was from Brazil, but I think she has since left and moved to Miami to do real estate. They kind of got the same vibes that I did about Huntington Beach.

9 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

She hasn’t put in the time that Schiff has. It’s his turn. 

8 hours ago, Js1 said:

Look, I love Porter, she is amazing. But no one is entitled to that seat. She has to earn it.

I fucking hate the notion that "it's his turn" is a thing, because that's how we get fucking old or shitty candidates for President and the Senate - it's how we get people like Jeb Bush and Ted Cruz running for the Presidency, because they think it's their turn.  I'd even argue that's how we got Hillary - after Bill was finished, people wanted her to stick around, she runs for Senate and then people think it's her turn (Obama had something else to say about that) and then in 2016, again, people say it's her turn.

Given who the GOP elects to both chambers, Porter would do just fine and be a damned site better than any of the Republicans.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I fucking hate the notion that "it's his turn" is a thing, because that's how we get fucking old or shitty candidates for President and the Senate - it's how we get people like Jeb Bush and Ted Cruz running for the Presidency, because they think it's their turn.  I'd even argue that's how we got Hillary - after Bill was finished, people wanted her to stick around, she runs for Senate and then people think it's her turn (Obama had something else to say about that) and then in 2016, again, people say it's her turn.

Given who the GOP elects to both chambers, Porter would do just fine and be a damned site better than any of the Republicans.

I was being facetious with the “it’s his turn” comment. But if someone is arguing for “party planning” in determining who should be next in line for Feinstein’s seat then Schiff has seniority over Porter. He’s well qualified and capable and no one can argue that he’s less deserving than she is. My take is that it’s not for the party to plan who runs. They’re both good candidates and either will do a good job. Californians are lucky to have the choice. I don’t get the hostility toward Schiff exhibited by Porter fans who are so eager to see her advance her political career that they would begrudge Schiff the opportunity to advance his own.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

My take is that it’s not for the party to plan who runs.

Dems: omg the DNC rigged it for Hillary. We needed a fair and open primary in 2016

Also Dems: the national party should have cleared the field for Porter next year, why is anyone else even running 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Jesus Christ this thread, and I mean #bothsides. So many bad takes.

A highly contested primary with lots of good candidates running is what should happen in a state like CA that means so much for Democratic politics. It's nobody's turn.

It's not chaotic, it's democracy. The people will decide.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Loser runs for CA Governor after Newsome takes border czar position.

That dude wants to be president, he would never take such a politically charged position like that. Talk about a career ender lol

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

That dude wants to be president, he would never take such a politically charged position like that. Talk about a career ender lol

Which brings me to my next wishlist

Eric Swalwell  nominated as Eric Trump lookalike to fuck people and infiltrate. I’ll tell his wife to be cool with it

For some reason reason I always thought they looked alike and were just bros

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

Which brings me to my next wishlist

Eric Swalwell  nominated as Eric Trump lookalike to fuck people and infiltrate. I’ll tell his wife to be cool with it

For some reason reason I always thought they looked alike and were just bros

Not seeing that at all. Swalwell has a chin. 

19 hours ago, berlinerbaer said:

A highly contested primary with lots of good candidates running is what should happen in a state like CA that means so much for Democratic politics. It's nobody's turn.

Cool. I’d like to live in your world where we can have rational discourse and democracy works. Do I take one bong hit or multiple?

11 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Cool. I’d like to live in your world where we can have rational discourse and democracy works. Do I take one bong hit or multiple?

Always multiple. Don’t be a pussy 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

4 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

You think CA Dem voters shouldn't choose their nominee for Senate? How do you think the nominee should be selected?

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/28/2023 at 12:37 PM, berlinerbaer said:

You say that like a democracy cannot be chaotic. Why not both?

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Grade of D as in David said:

I would like to hear more about these clitoral combat ships

Well the first thing to remember is they can use the liquid-y areas to get super close to the small target on shore.  But not too close or everything gets super sensitive and they have to pull back.  They can announce themselves by firing off their cannon early, or they can approach by stealth with or without any protective safeguards. 

There is still another version of the ship that just kinda fists its way on shore.  Navy's still looking into that one in the wake of some recent legislation. 

3 minutes ago, Mittens said:

I like the way the witnesses, or whatever the fuck they're called, were stunned and quiet at first but got into the game and were playing along straight up Jeopardy style by the end.

Maybe Porter should take Amy Farrah Fowler's spot as host of Jeopardy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Mittens said:

I like the way the witnesses, or whatever the fuck they're called, were stunned and quiet at first but got into the game and were playing along straight up Jeopardy style by the end.

I thought it was just me projecting that onto them, but I think that really was the case.  They start out arms folded, practically rolling their eyes...feeling like they're being publicly shamed.  By the end, they're fumbling forward to switch the mic on and repeat their answer correctly in the form of a question, swelled up with pride.  

It'd be funny if every other clue wasn't dealing with 9-12 figure mistakes.  I liked the opening dig at Trump the best.

• Hook 'Em 1