Katie Porter is a very bright woman

Gil Bang

• 10 months later...

If a group of Karens is called a Complaint

Then a group of Katies should be called a Congress?  

I really like this Porter rep.  There are actually reasons why these E&P companies want leaseholds on federal lands.  The proven reserves help their balance sheets and serve a number of financing and PR functions with their bankers and investors.  However, she's asking simple questions and isn't taking any shit or verbal buffoonery from these folks, and I love that.  She also can tell that the "Energy Security of our country" guy was the most full of shit.  

I'd like to think he went back to his board and proclaimed, "Look, we had to answer yes/no.  I didn't time to get into the nuance of why we need multiples of acreage versus currently permitted drill acreage.  And other ins, outs, and what-have..."  When the vice-chair interrupts him and says, "Whatever, Porter made you her bitch."  And they all laugh like the guy telling George that the ocean called.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

If a group of Karens is called a Complaint

Then a group of Katies should be called a Congress?  

I really like this Porter rep.  There are actually reasons why these E&P companies want leaseholds on federal lands.  The proven reserves help their balance sheets and serve a number of financing and PR functions with their bankers and investors.  However, she's asking simple questions and isn't taking any shit or verbal buffoonery from these folks, and I love that.  She also can tell that the "Energy Security of our country" guy was the most full of shit.  

I'd like to think he went back to his board and proclaimed, "Look, we had to answer yes/no.  I didn't time to get into the nuance of why we need multiples of acreage versus currently permitted drill acreage.  And other ins, outs, and what-have..."  When the vice-chair interrupts him and says, "Whatever, Porter made you her bitch."  And they all laugh like the guy telling George that the ocean called.  

Can you explain how/why the balance sheets of the E&P companies work like that? I truly don't understand why what they have isn't enough, other than corporate greed and rapaciousness. 

22 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

Can you explain how/why the balance sheets of the E&P companies work like that? I truly don't understand why what they have isn't enough, other than corporate greed and rapaciousness. 

Walking in to something but I’ll put p90 here as a placeholder.  Basically they want more proven reserves, especially on certain federal lands even if no drill permitting will even be dreamt of for years.  Helps stock price and debt rating plus big numbers sound cool at board meetings.  But yeah, also greed

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, 27-25 said:

Closer than it should be, that's for certain 50.5 - 49.5.

https://ballotpedia.org/California's_47th_Congressional_District_election,_2022

Bro it's California, there's so much mail still outstanding.  There was 300k+ votes in 2018 and only 171k so far.  There's going to be 100k+ mail votes received and counted over the next 2 weeks in her district and probably several million in California alone, if not more. 

She won, but she will win much bigger when fully counted.

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Super late to the election party and only remembered cause had read her seat was in danger but somehow this race popped into my head tonight. Anyway, fuck yeah she won and I fully support way more Katie Porters in elected office. America, fuck yeah, go Porter, you are what’s right with this country!

honestly, not hating on AOC, but this country would be better off if the Fox News focus created a 254 page thread here on Porter instead of AOC. I like both and AOC is my rep but got damn, the Porter take downs just have that “it”. AOC has had some good moments but honestly think Fox News scared of Porter.  Conversely, AOC has “beat” them but it drives more clicks so here we are. 

Edited by achooloco
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, achooloco said:

Super late to the election party and only remembered cause had read her seat was in danger but somehow this race popped into my head tonight. Anyway, fuck yeah she won and I fully support way more Katie Porter’s in elected office. America, fuck yeah, go Porter, you are what’s right with this country!

honestly, not hating on AOC, but this country would be better off if the Fox News focus created a 254 page thread here on Porter instead of AOC. I like both and AOC is my rep but got damn, the Porter take downs just have that “it”. AOC has had some good moments but honestly think Fox News scared of Porter.  Conversely, AOC has “beat” them but it drives more clicks so here we are. 

A) Fox News IS scared of Porter

and

B) AOC is attractive, which riles up the rubes more than anything because they want to hate fuck her.  Sorry, it's true.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

and

B) AOC is attractive, which riles up the rubes more than anything because they want to hate fuck her.  Sorry, it's true.

You ain’t wrong. Such is life.

Keep fighting the good fight Porter!

46 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

and

AOC is a few shades darker than Porter.  THAT is what riles up the rubes.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 11/10/2022 at 3:03 PM, TexasHooch said:

Looks like her district was redrawn.  Dirty bastards.  

Yeah, based on the latest census, California lost a seat.

What pisses me off more is I'm no longer in Katie Porter's district. I can see her as a Karen IRL, but damnit, I wanted her to by MY Karen.

• Haha 1

^^^^ From the link:

"All documents relating to a pardon for Dwight or Steven Hammond"

In 2012, ranchers Dwight and Steven Hammond were convicted of arson on federal lands managed by the U.S. Bureau of Land Management (BLM). 2 According to DOJ, the Hammonds informed BLM that a fire they had started on Hammond's private property to burn off invasive species had inadvertently spread to public lands. However, witnesses, including a relative, later came forward and testified that Steven Hammond had instructed companions to drop lit matches on the ground, with the effect of destroying evidence that a Hammond hunting party had illegally slaughtered deer on the BLM lands. By law, arson on federal lands carries a five-year mandatory minimum sentence.3 The district court in the Hammonds’ case ordered sentences far below this requirement, citing Eighth Amendment concerns, but a panel of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit vacated the illegal sentences and ordered the district court to resentence the Hammonds in compliance with the law.4

Edited by Bullneck
  • Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

However, witnesses, including a relative, later came forward and testified that Steven Hammond had instructed companions to drop lit matches on the ground, with the effect of destroying evidence that a Hammond hunting party had illegally slaughtered deer on the BLM lands. By law, arson on federal lands carries a five-year mandatory minimum sentence.3 

tfg pardoning poachers is just fine with the Republican party. Gun voters are sanctimonious, but even R hunters will keep silent, the hypocrites. Enforce gun laws? Please, laws are for the others. 

Edited by Willfully Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

2 hours ago, Bullneck said:

^^^^ From the link:

"All documents relating to a pardon for Dwight or Steven Hammond"

In 2012, ranchers Dwight and Steven Hammond were convicted of arson on federal lands managed by the U.S. Bureau of Land Management (BLM). 2 According to DOJ, the Hammonds informed BLM that a fire they had started on Hammond's private property to burn off invasive species had inadvertently spread to public lands. However, witnesses, including a relative, later came forward and testified that Steven Hammond had instructed companions to drop lit matches on the ground, with the effect of destroying evidence that a Hammond hunting party had illegally slaughtered deer on the BLM lands. By law, arson on federal lands carries a five-year mandatory minimum sentence.3 The district court in the Hammonds’ case ordered sentences far below this requirement, citing Eighth Amendment concerns, but a panel of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit vacated the illegal sentences and ordered the district court to resentence the Hammonds in compliance with the law.4

Public lands are a big deal to me.  This seems like somewhat small potatoes, but there is a very real issue with people treating public lands like their own private lands.  For instance, grazing rights are called RIGHTS for a reason.  They are ALLOWED by the federal government, but too many private citizens (ranchers, etc) treat these lands as if they own it.  These are OUR lands that they are allowed to use.   Not sure where I was going with this, but hands off our lands, assholes.

• Hook 'Em 4

• 1 month later...
35 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Everyone else in CA is being respectful to a long tenured senior senator and waiting for her to announce retirement and Porter is like “fuck off you senile gas bag, I’m running”

I prefer Porter’s move. Get in and try to clear the field early 

Exactly, old hag get out of the way and enjoy your retirement, my whiteboard needs a larger audience 

that single mom got bills to pay and needs a raise 

Edited by Gengs1
  • Hook 'Em 1

I forget that Feinstein is Class I.  So she'll be 90 at election time in 2024/seating in 2025.  And 96 in 2030/31, same.  

And Californians are just going with this?  

For the umpteenth fucking time until I'm blue in the goddamn face, nobody is saying an 89 year old, or even 96 year old can't do whatever they're capable of doing and more.  But they do not have any fucking business being a U.S. Senator.  Don't fucking bitch and moan outta one side of your mouth about how long SCOTUS judges sit up there with lifetime appointments, and then laud the progressive heroism needed still of Feinstein as you pull the ballot for her knowing she'll be in office until she's 96.  And A HALF!  

It's a great place to develop a bench for future Senators and Cabinet Members.  And instead the roster spot is being used by Lon Cheney's ex-lover

Also, God Bless Katie Porter.  Have been a casual fan.  Now I'm upgrading to subscriber. 

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, YGIFS said:

I forget that Feinstein is Class I.  So she'll be 90 at election time in 2024/seating in 2025.  And 96 in 2030/31, same.  

And Californians are just going with this?  

Nah it’s very very very likely she’s retiring. It’s only Jan 2023, not really much difference between announcing now or in 3 months or 6 months. The CA primary isn’t until like June 2024 or something. 

Porter is just getting a head start. She may know DiFi’s plans already. Or she DGAF bc DiFi’s senile ass needs to sit at home and enjoy what’s left of her life instead of wandering the halls of the Hart building in her slip. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Are DiFi's staff ready to give up their senatorial-by-proxy powers? That is what Porter is up against...people living off of DiFi's coattails and running the show because she is too senile to understand that she isn't competent anymore without them. Porter is forcing their hand and maybe willing to shame them into letting Diane go home and rest.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ERhine said:

A senate seat is a great place to develop future senators?

I was referring to the whole state of California.  My truncated transition was my fault.  Saying that California's machine can provide bench talent for future Senators, Cabinet Members, et. al. in terms of its own high-level elected positions.  I'm trying to be more terse in my posts guys, gimme a break.  

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

Everyone else in CA is being respectful to a long tenured senior senator and waiting for her to announce retirement and Porter is like “fuck off you senile gas bag, I’m running”

I prefer Porter’s move. Get in and try to clear the field early 

giphy (1) (14).gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

674b25210fe7829e17fe8c5732edc96d.jpg
Wanted this absolute banger memorialized in Her Majesty’s thread.

Gonna throw this out there but need some help.  The Rep. on the left.  HE looks like Cheri O'Teri put on a fat suit to look more like Donald Trump for some alt.universe SNL sketch we'll never see.  WTF is that?  

Gonna throw this out there but need some help.  The Rep. on the left.  HE looks like Cheri O'Teri put on a fat suit to look more like Donald Trump for some alt.universe SNL sketch we'll never see.  WTF is that?  

That is Representative Mike Rogers of Alabama’s Third Congressional District. Includes parts of Montgomery and East Alabama up to Fort Payne and down to Auburn.

Appears he’s gotten a new toupee as well lol.b7faee7cf7d205bc639f178108156b13.jpg