Tell me about SMU

Longboard Horn

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Screenshot_20230120-110244_kindlephoto-6345535.thumb.png.d89afa95168af282300f2bcb41ef55a4.png

Screenshot_20230120-110355_kindlephoto-6415448.thumb.png.f75ac4c0cf837b41dc3ba6d879e808bd.png

Screenshot_20230120-110517_kindlephoto-6495729.thumb.png.5ccdb2abc0222a55fff23c438c1a30bd.png

Smu picked up 5 Miami and 3 Liberty transfers... kinda polar opposite cultures right?

Miami is just SMU in a different city with more students. And Lashlee probably knows all those players. 

Liberty... sure. But Liberty is weird as f in general. 

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, nnm said:

They’re trying to play defense before the B12 leftovers swoop in and take the easternmost P12 members. 

After reading more into it, SMU going to the Pac 12 makes sense. When it comes to their student body, the second most amount of kids are from California. A girl I used to date from SMU had 2 roommates from So Cal. 

• 6 months later...

Brilliant move and great timing with NIL up and legal. They have 3-4 years here to build a program that can consistently stay top 25. Add the location and financial backing, and you have at least a slim chance to making a case to stay in the picture after the next shake-up.

Also, I know it's all about FB, but they have a huge chance to plant their flag in a ton of other sports now. If they end up hosting a bunch of in-season showcases to save travel for Stanford, UNC, Duke, UVa...that will be an enormous hook to keep Texas recruits in state. Volleyball, soccer, swimming, tennis and more.

And finally, Ponies taking it to La Tech as expected today

SMU raises $100 million in a week after ACC move

SMU officials gleefully announced Monday that they are rolling in cash after moving to a "top three" conference.

ZACH BARNETT       36 MINUTES AGO

SMU has raised $100 million in first week since announcing their move to the ACC, school officials announced Monday.

The money came from a group of 30 donors, some of whom are not SMU alums.

SMU joined the ACC on the condition that it would take no payment from the conference's media distributions for at least its first seven years of membership, and up to as many as nine. (The Mustangs will still partake in other distributions, such as postseason winnings and the conference's shared success initiative.)

SMU took in $8.28 million from the AAC in the most recent fiscal year, which means the $100 million in pledges will allow the Mustangs to come out ahead even if the school does not partake in ESPN money for their first nine years of membership, based on 2023 figures. 

In announcing the donations, SMU board chairman David Miller added that the school was joining a "top three" conference, thereby placing, in his own estimation, SMU in a league ahead of the Big 12. 

"When we announced on September 1 that SMU would be joining the ACC, I was highly confident that we would be able to cover the cost of the transition into what is one of the top three collegiate athletic conferences in the country," said David B. Miller, chair of the SMU Board of Trustees. "To be able to raise this level of support in such a short period of time is astounding. It is an incredible start in our campaign to position SMU to compete for championships. I cannot express how grateful I am for the visionary leadership it demonstrates."

Additionally, SMU says season-ticket sales for men's basketball are up 30 percent since the Sept. 1 announcement and "hundreds" of new football season ticket packages have been sold as well.

"This is an unprecedented financial commitment from a core group of donors who have understood from the beginning that moving to the ACC will be transformational for our University on both athletic and academic levels," said SMU president R. Gerald Turner. "While there is still much work to be done, the ability to rally this kind of support in just one short week demonstrates that SMU and Dallas recognize the excellence of this opportunity and are stepping up to support it."

SMU heads to Fort Worth on Saturday to face rival TCU and former coach Sonny Dykes in the Battle for the Iron Skillet before embarking on its final season in the AAC. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 9/17/2023 at 10:35 AM, DFW Horn said:

Prairie View, the underfunded HBCU aggie outpost

Yeah they're really fucking bad. 

9 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

Just looking at their roster...

9 QBs

19 WRs 

Seems like a lot

9 is a lot of QBs. Texas has 6 and 17 WRs. Texas also has 5 kickers on the roster to SMU's 1. Coaches use walk-on spots differently I guess. 

Such a great move for SMU. They could win the ACC as soon as 2025 and have a smarter student body by then as well.

They will portal the shit out of the portal while also getting a ton of North Texas kids. 

Football, M Basketball, and M/W Soccer are going to really thrive in the coming 2 to 5 years. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the SMU game this past Saturday.  Fun time.  The Boulevard pregame tailgate thing is a great idea.  I randomly saw some UT friends I haven’t seen in 25+ years that live in Dallas.  I really like the smaller crowd.  And damn, I’ve probably never seen so many attractive 40–60 year old women in one place.  

• Hook 'Em 1