Tell me about SMU

Longboard Horn

• 3 weeks later...

Traylor could have had Tech and likely TCU if he wanted it.   Doubt he had any interest at SMU.   I would think SMU could do better than Lashlee.  Maybe he made a good impression when he was there previously but his offenses at Miami have been fine but not exactly dominant.

15 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Lateral move for Traylor

Good one. Although it inched a bit closer with the last realignment round. 

8 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I would think SMU could do better than Lashlee.  Maybe he made a good impression when he was there previously but his offenses at Miami have been fine but not exactly dominant.

Who knows. Guess they like him. Maybe a move to try and retain some of the rest of the staff - especially Samples - and also keep Stone on campus. We also won't have to pay him shit and can reroll the dice in a couple of years without taking a hit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Traylor could have had Tech and likely TCU if he wanted it.   Doubt he had any interest at SMU.   I would think SMU could do better than Lashlee.  Maybe he made a good impression when he was there previously but his offenses at Miami have been fine but not exactly dominant.

I think he impressed in his previous stint.  Also hope he can keep some of the staff.  Also he's tight with freshman 4 star QB Preston Stone, who SMU really needs to stick around.

They maybe could've done better, but with all the open jobs, would be way down the pecking order and having to wait until the dust settles on those jobs and the dominoe effect that will come.  This is a very good recruiting class for SMU and early signing day coming fast too.

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Who knows. Guess they like him. Maybe a move to try and retain some of the rest of the staff - especially Samples - 

I'll be shocked if Samples stays at SMU unless they tag him as OC with some duties other than just the title and raise.  Hope Samples lands at Texas but definitely expect him to start making moves up the ladder.

8 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I'll be shocked if Samples stays at SMU unless they tag him as OC with some duties other than just the title and raise.  Hope Samples lands at Texas but definitely expect him to start making moves up the ladder.

We will 100% try that unless we are retarded (which we might be. Jankovich is still coaching the basketball team). I guess it could be a co-OC type deal as I can't imagine Lashlee doesn't retain some playcalling duties. Samp is already an assistant HC. Unfortunately I don't see Texas landing him - who would we can after 1 year?

Embody is thinking it might be aggy. And unfortunately he's a pretty nails 9.95er. Night darkest before the dawn etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Coleman. Technically wouldn't be 1 year for him either. Pretty clear path tbh although I doubt we do it.

Ah. Then maybe. Just doesn't seem like the administration or Sark's priority right now. 

Samp is also not currently a WR coach. And not sure he'd take a diminished role at Texas vs. either going to TCU and keeping his assistant HC tag or maybe getting a co-OC tag at SMU. Whereas he probably would at aggy (yuck I don't like typing that). Although that would be a bigger uprooting for him. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Ah. Then maybe. Just doesn't seem like the administration or Sark's priority right now. 

Samp is also not currently a WR coach. And not sure he'd take a diminished role at Texas vs. either going to TCU and keeping his assistant HC tag or maybe getting a co-OC tag at SMU. Whereas he probably would at aggy (yuck I don't like typing that). Although that would be a bigger uprooting for him. 

Yeah but he was a WR coach at SMU until a year or two ago, was WR analyst at UT, and played WR. He'd likely be cool with that. But yeah I'd expect changes on defense before Coleman..

Why do you say he wouldn't take a diminished role at Texas but would at aggy? If anything it seems like he has more ties to remaining staff at UT.

10 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Why do you say he wouldn't take a diminished role at Texas but would at aggy?

Because Texas is playing shitty football under a first year head coach. Unless Jimbo really does get poached by LSU that seems like a steadier environment to work in. He's also left UT fairly recently. 

Regardless - I doubt Texas offers. 

Edited by ztejas

11 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Because Texas is playing shitty football under a first year head coach. Unless Jimbo really does get poached by LSU that seems like a steadier environment to work in. He's also left UT fairly recently. 

Regardless - I doubt Texas offers. 

Gotcha, yeah that's a point in their favor. There are others in UT's favor though too 1. Living in Austin vs CS, 2. Learning to scheme offense from Sark vs Jimbo, and 3. Ties to UT from his time here (assuming he likes the remaining people which I have no reason to doubt). And he left UT as an analyst for a position coach role in Dallas - I don't think that's a knock against UT at all, it was just a big promotion in his hometown. Of course salary/title would probably end up being the biggest factors anyway. 

I don't think we'll make a move mainly bc Sark needs to address defense so bad and won't want too much overall turnover on the staff. Coleman should be on the block but there are just bigger fish to fry.

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

And he left UT as an analyst for a position coach role in Dallas - I don't think that's a knock against UT at all, it was just a big promotion in his hometown. Of course salary/title would probably end up being the biggest factors anyway. 

Right but that's kind of my point. SMU will shell out 7 figures to try and keep him I bet. And he's currently a position coach with an assistant HC title. He will be the same if he tags along to TCU. No fucking way he gets that with Sark's staff. 

Maybe it comes full circle but right now just doesn't seem like the time. Just pray he doesn't get involved at aggy somehow.

Just now, ztejas said:

Right but that's kind of my point. SMU will shell out 7 figures to try and keep him I bet. And he's currently a position coach with an assistant HC title. He will be the same if he tags along to TCU. No fucking way he gets that with Sark's staff. 

Maybe it comes full circle but right now just doesn't seem like the time. Just pray he doesn't get involved at aggy somehow.

Oh I'm not arguing that SMU/TCU point. If he gets 7 figs and an OC tag, he definitely ain't coming to UT or A&M to be a standard position coach. And that could happen but I have no idea what kind of salaries SMU/TCU would offer him. New SMU coach would clearly have a say on that side.

I was just talking UT vs A&M position coach if it comes down to that.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

SMU recruiting goes full circle, in a gold Trans Am

image.thumb.png.7399dac3efcb80a559532ba9da62e364.png

Four decades after Eric Dickerson's infamous car played a part in killing SMU football, the Mustangs are now using a gold Trans Am to recruit.

ZACH BARNETT           APR 19, 2022

They say comedy equals tragedy plus time. In SMU's case, apparently 43 years is the right amount of time. 

As the story goes, Eric Dickerson the best running back in the class of 1979, a time when running back was the most valued position in the sport -- a true 5-star before anyone knew the term. Hailing from tiny Sealy, Texas, Dickerson then became the object of a black market bidding war, a bidding war Texas A&M thought it won by presenting him with a gold Pontiac Trans Am. Dickerson drove that gold Trans Am to announce his commitment to the Aggies, sparking obvious questions about the link between the two. Dickerson, famously, claimed his grandmother purchased him the car.

Fast forward some months, and Dickerson ultimately signed with SMU. Depending on which route he took from Sealy, he could have driven right past College Station on Highway 6 en route to Dallas.

Here is Dickerson's version of events, from his autobiography Watch My Smoke, coincidentally released earlier this year:

Even though I turned (a $50,000 cash offer) down, A&M stayed after me and remained in the picture—there was that much pressure for me to go there. And then, a few weeks later, I mentioned to my stepdad in passing that I really liked the new Pontiac Trans Am. I’d seen it at a dealership on I-10 that I used to drive by to visit my grandparents in Houston, and I just liked it: the bird on the hood, the fins on the side, how sleek it was.

It was an innocent comment. Under normal circumstances, I wouldn’t have remembered even saying it. But recruiting isn’t a normal circumstance, and before I knew it, I was talking to Shear, the big A&M booster in town.

—We can make that happen, he said.

Then he told me to go to the dealership, and all of a sudden I’m there with my mom and my grandma, then the staff is telling me to pick any car on the lot. That’s the way things were in those days: one minute I’m a broke kid idly fantasizing about a nice car. The next, a bunch of grown-ass men are falling over themselves to give me that car.

I had my pick of a Corvette and three Trans Ams: black, silver, and gold. I liked the gold one.

The dealership guy said he’d be right back, that he just had to make a phone call. When he returned, he gave my grandma the paperwork to fill out.

Now, until the present day, I’ve always said publicly that my grandparents bought me that car. My grandfather made good money from his job as a crane operator at a steel mill, and my grandma’s name is on the paperwork, so that’s technically true. But behind the scenes, A&M had agreed to reimburse her. And that, my friends, is how the notorious Trans Am was paid for.

It was a verbal commitment. I was 18 and it seemed like the thing to say to make a lot of adults happy. But my heart was never really into it, and I’d soon renege on it. I know a lot of A&M fans are still pissed at me about that, but I really don’t care: if they want to be pissed at a kid whose head was spinning and was being pressured by all different kinds of adults, then that’s their problem and not mine.

There’s this urban legend that angry A&M boosters destroyed the car, but I’m here to tell you that never happened. I had the Trans Am my first few years at SMU, before I sold it to my best friend and fellow SMU running back, Charles Drayton. Thanks to an SMU booster named George Owen, I was driving a Corvette by then.

Dickerson played four seasons for SMU, accumulating 4,450 yards and 47 touchdowns. SMU went 11-0-1, won the Southwest Conference and finished No. 2 in the polls in Dickerson's senior season of 1982. He went No. 2 in the draft the following spring en route to a Pro Football Hall of Fame career. The deal worked out for both sides. Times were good. Until they weren't.

By 1987, the NCAA had imposed a death penalty upon SMU football rampant rules violations. The program would not win more than six games in a season again until 2009. While June Jones, Chad Morris and Sonny Dykes did an admirable job building the program into a competitive one again, the program arguably never recovered from the toll of the death penalty. (Evidence: By 2024, the only SWC programs not in the SEC or the Big 12 will be SMU and Rice.)

That Trans Am soon took on a mythic quality. When SMU football was temporarily shut down and the Southwest Conference at itself alive before being disbanded, that gold sports car with the bird on its hood became a living metaphor for the corruption that rotted the SWC from within. 

Let's now fast forward to today.

Yep, that's a gold Trans Am on an image tweeted by SMU's football account, issued Tuesday morning. Coincidence? No way. 

Of course, all the activities that got SMU put in NCAA prison in the 1980s are now legal in the 2020s.

In a twisted way, the success of SMU in the 1980s can be an encouragement to SMU and other programs of its ilk today. If SMU could buy its way to a top-5 ranking in the 80s, beating out Texas A&M for the No. 1 recruit in the country, what's to stop them from repeating history in the 2020s? SMU has its own collective, Pony Sports DTX, designed to put the next Eric Dickerson in the 2022 version of a gold Trans Am.

It makes perfect sense that SMU's battle cry is even more fitting in the NIL era than it was before. Want SMU to relive its glory days, SMU fans? Pony up

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

SMU recruiting goes full circle, in a gold Trans Am

image.thumb.png.7399dac3efcb80a559532ba9da62e364.png

Four decades after Eric Dickerson's infamous car played a part in killing SMU football, the Mustangs are now using a gold Trans Am to recruit.

ZACH BARNETT           APR 19, 2022

They say comedy equals tragedy plus time. In SMU's case, apparently 43 years is the right amount of time. 

As the story goes, Eric Dickerson the best running back in the class of 1979, a time when running back was the most valued position in the sport -- a true 5-star before anyone knew the term. Hailing from tiny Sealy, Texas, Dickerson then became the object of a black market bidding war, a bidding war Texas A&M thought it won by presenting him with a gold Pontiac Trans Am. Dickerson drove that gold Trans Am to announce his commitment to the Aggies, sparking obvious questions about the link between the two. Dickerson, famously, claimed his grandmother purchased him the car.

Fast forward some months, and Dickerson ultimately signed with SMU. Depending on which route he took from Sealy, he could have driven right past College Station on Highway 6 en route to Dallas.

Here is Dickerson's version of events, from his autobiography Watch My Smoke, coincidentally released earlier this year:

Even though I turned (a $50,000 cash offer) down, A&M stayed after me and remained in the picture—there was that much pressure for me to go there. And then, a few weeks later, I mentioned to my stepdad in passing that I really liked the new Pontiac Trans Am. I’d seen it at a dealership on I-10 that I used to drive by to visit my grandparents in Houston, and I just liked it: the bird on the hood, the fins on the side, how sleek it was.

It was an innocent comment. Under normal circumstances, I wouldn’t have remembered even saying it. But recruiting isn’t a normal circumstance, and before I knew it, I was talking to Shear, the big A&M booster in town.

—We can make that happen, he said.

Then he told me to go to the dealership, and all of a sudden I’m there with my mom and my grandma, then the staff is telling me to pick any car on the lot. That’s the way things were in those days: one minute I’m a broke kid idly fantasizing about a nice car. The next, a bunch of grown-ass men are falling over themselves to give me that car.

I had my pick of a Corvette and three Trans Ams: black, silver, and gold. I liked the gold one.

The dealership guy said he’d be right back, that he just had to make a phone call. When he returned, he gave my grandma the paperwork to fill out.

Now, until the present day, I’ve always said publicly that my grandparents bought me that car. My grandfather made good money from his job as a crane operator at a steel mill, and my grandma’s name is on the paperwork, so that’s technically true. But behind the scenes, A&M had agreed to reimburse her. And that, my friends, is how the notorious Trans Am was paid for.

It was a verbal commitment. I was 18 and it seemed like the thing to say to make a lot of adults happy. But my heart was never really into it, and I’d soon renege on it. I know a lot of A&M fans are still pissed at me about that, but I really don’t care: if they want to be pissed at a kid whose head was spinning and was being pressured by all different kinds of adults, then that’s their problem and not mine.

There’s this urban legend that angry A&M boosters destroyed the car, but I’m here to tell you that never happened. I had the Trans Am my first few years at SMU, before I sold it to my best friend and fellow SMU running back, Charles Drayton. Thanks to an SMU booster named George Owen, I was driving a Corvette by then.

Dickerson played four seasons for SMU, accumulating 4,450 yards and 47 touchdowns. SMU went 11-0-1, won the Southwest Conference and finished No. 2 in the polls in Dickerson's senior season of 1982. He went No. 2 in the draft the following spring en route to a Pro Football Hall of Fame career. The deal worked out for both sides. Times were good. Until they weren't.

By 1987, the NCAA had imposed a death penalty upon SMU football rampant rules violations. The program would not win more than six games in a season again until 2009. While June Jones, Chad Morris and Sonny Dykes did an admirable job building the program into a competitive one again, the program arguably never recovered from the toll of the death penalty. (Evidence: By 2024, the only SWC programs not in the SEC or the Big 12 will be SMU and Rice.)

That Trans Am soon took on a mythic quality. When SMU football was temporarily shut down and the Southwest Conference at itself alive before being disbanded, that gold sports car with the bird on its hood became a living metaphor for the corruption that rotted the SWC from within. 

Let's now fast forward to today.

Yep, that's a gold Trans Am on an image tweeted by SMU's football account, issued Tuesday morning. Coincidence? No way. 

Of course, all the activities that got SMU put in NCAA prison in the 1980s are now legal in the 2020s.

In a twisted way, the success of SMU in the 1980s can be an encouragement to SMU and other programs of its ilk today. If SMU could buy its way to a top-5 ranking in the 80s, beating out Texas A&M for the No. 1 recruit in the country, what's to stop them from repeating history in the 2020s? SMU has its own collective, Pony Sports DTX, designed to put the next Eric Dickerson in the 2022 version of a gold Trans Am.

It makes perfect sense that SMU's battle cry is even more fitting in the NIL era than it was before. Want SMU to relive its glory days, SMU fans? Pony up

One minor problem.  The gold T/A in the photo above is not a 1979.

• 2 weeks later...

SMU adds Oklahoma State LB Farrar on big transfer day

ByJORDAN HOFEDITZ 24 minutes ago

10514268.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,off

(Photo: Bruce Waterfield, Oklahoma State Athletics)

The third transfer added for the SMU football team on Friday night comes in the form of linebacker Kamryn Farrar.

Farrar comes back to Dallas by way of Oklahoma State. He was a 3-star recruit coming out of Skyline.

The first two transfers came from Texas in DL David Ariaba and DB Chris Adimora.

Farrar had 13 tackles, including 2.5 sacks, in 14 games for the Cowboys in 2021. As a freshman in 2020, he had six tackles in 10 games, mostly on special teams.

He will have three years of eligibility left in he chooses to use his extra season due to COVID-19.  

-----------------------------------------------------------------

SMU football adds ULM safety Roberts through transfer portal

ByJORDAN HOFEDITZ May 4, 7:56 PM

9954719.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs

(Photo: Joseph Maiorana, USA TODAY Sports)

The SMU secondary got better on Wednesday night with the addition of safety transfer Nick Roberts announcing his commitment.

Roberts started his career at South Florida and spent last season at Louisiana-Monroe before becoming a Mustang for the 2022 season.

In 12 games for the Warhawks, he finished with 38 tackles, 20 solo, 1.5 sacks and another tackle for loss. He added an interception and two pass breakups in coverage.

Roberts started 25 of the 31 games he played in three seasons with the Bulls. He was fourth on the team with 72 tackles in 2018 and again with 63 in 2019, and playing in just six games in 2020 finished third with 39 tackles. He finished with 174 tackles, five interceptions and nine pass breakups over those three seasons.

He joins an SMU secondary that is relatively young.

Edited by LTtxfan

SMU football adds pair of transfers in Knox, Sandjo-Nijiki

ByJORDAN HOFEDITZ May 3, 7:41 PM

10575787.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,off

(Photo: Keith Warren, 247Sports)

The SMU football team picked up a pair of additions through the transfer portal, one on each side of the ball, on Tuesday.

Wide receiver Teddy Knox is a former four-star recruit transferring from Mississippi State while defensive tackle Mike Sandjo-Nijiki comes from Navarro College.

Knox, 5-foot-10, 167-pounds, participated in three games with the Bulldogs, logging one kick return for 31 yards. He will have four years of eligibility remaining. He prepped at The Woodlands.

11070434.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=240:320,off

(Photo: Navarro Football)

Sandjo, out of Keller Timber Creek, played in 10 games and finished with 40 tackles, including 3.5 sacks, another tackle for loss and blocked a kick. He was listed at 6-1, 289 pounds on the Navarro roster.

Former Texas WR Kelvontay Dixon transfers to SMU

Cj Mumme  3 mins ago

Another Longhorn will be changing from burnt orange and white to red and blue.

AAX3qqU.img?h=1312&w=874&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

Third-year wide receiver Kelvontay Dixon announced on Sunday he will continue his collegiate career at SMU.

Dixon becomes the fourth Longhorn to transfer to SMU this offseason. Wide receiver Joshua Moore committed to the Mustangs on Jan 24 while defensive back Chris Adimora and defensive end David Abiara decided less than a week ago.

The speedy wideout only caught 12 passes for 176 yards and one score in his Texas career. Dixon’s quickness certainly flashed at times for the Longhorns but he never found the consistency needed to crack the starting lineup. Dixon fits SMU’s offensive scheme well and provides him the chance to see the field early.