Thread of local businesses that don't survive the coronavirus

CooterBrown

On 1/11/2021 at 9:25 AM, Wally Pryor said:

Not sure if specifically related to COVID but Austin Pizza Garden closing after 27 years.  Last day is this Sunday.

Used to live right by there and always thought this place was solid. Good Italian sub. Will be missed, but also surprised it is still open as it was never busy 10 years ago when I frequented the place. Arriva der chee.

And being between Via and Pinthouse. 

Via definitely hurt it

They recently updated their outdoor space pretty nice. It seemed to be doing good business when I have picked up the past few times. Too bad, I always liked it but it would have had bigger issues when they redo 290/71

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Dirty's-- although they say it's just for a while...

https://www.facebook.com/martinskumbak/

Unfortunately, in our efforts to serve you while adhering to capacity restrictions, CDC guidelines, and social distancing requirements… and now facing unprecedented weather events, we’ve decided that closing for a while is the best decision for our staff, our customers, and our future. Stay tuned for updates. We can’t wait to serve you again!
May be an image of outdoors and text that says 'FOUNTAIN FOUN SERVICE MARTINS KUMBAK PLACE Coca-Cola B CLOSING FOR NOW...'

Edited by utee94

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, hornian said:

Alamo Drafthouse going into Chapter 11 Bankruptcy, closing Downtown Alamo Ritz and New Braunfels Locations Permanently: 

https://www.austin360.com/story/news/2021/03/03/alamo-drafthouse-files-chapter-11-bankruptcy-cites-effect-pandemic/6901907002/

Oh that sucks.  They aren’t the same they used to be but a real loss if they close.

4 hours ago, MAUFRAIS said:

how rich did tim league get off that shit?  rich enough to buy the ritz and operate it just as a single theater?

Rich enough that he could get someone else to finance the purchase of a two screen theater.  

Using other people’s money=much better than your money.  

7 hours ago, Hefeweizen said:

Oh that sucks.  They aren’t the same they used to be but a real loss if they close.

6 hours ago, swraith said:

damnit

I continue to worry that Austin will lose the essence of Alamo Drafthouse even if some lender group takes ownership and continues to operate the business

5 hours ago, LABEVO said:

ugggh  expected but still sucks

In case it's not clear, Alamo Drafthouse isn't going out of business and no one is buying the company. This is getting rid of some debt (i.e. leases) and focusing on the remaining theaters. 

• Like 1

I always liked the vibe at Alamo drafthouse but never got into eating dinner and drinking at a movie. It created too many distractions from the movie. I preferred a longer night of dinner/drinks at a restaurant either before or after the movie.

Alamo felt like it was one of those places that everyone is a fan of the concept but they haven’t been in years.

but obviously someone must have gone because they’ve been around for a long time. 

Taking a sip of a beer or wine is too much of a distraction? Are you Ted Stryker or something?  You never have a beverage at home while watching a movie or sporting event?  I can drink in the shower while I'm shaving, a movie is easy to drink to.  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Taking a sip of a beer or wine is too much of a distraction? Are you Ted Stryker or something?  You never have a beverage at home while watching a movie or sporting event?  I can drink in the shower while I'm shaving, a movie is easy to drink to.  

No, the wait staff walking around was the distraction. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Alamo felt like it was one of those places that everyone is a fan of the concept but they haven’t been in years.

but obviously someone must have gone because they’ve been around for a long time. 

Plenty of people still go. I haven't been to a non-Alamo movie theater in at least ten years.

Edited by HornOnTheBayou
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

On 3/4/2021 at 7:04 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

On 3/4/2021 at 9:50 AM, HornOnTheBayou said:

Plenty of people still go. I haven't been to a non-Alamo movie theater in at least ten years.

Yup same here.  Maybe 15 years ago my wife's parents gave us gift coupons to AMC or some other normal theater chain, don't remember which anymore.  We went one time, and the standard multiplex experience was so bad, that was the last time we ever went anywhere non-Alamo.

• 2 months later...

Chez Nous will not reopen. We had a family dinner last night and it came up. We were hopeful but also concerned that they hadn’t reopened as of now. My wife got an email from them this morning saying they won’t reopen.

They opened in 82 and my folks started taking us there in 84. It was the perfect date/anniversary spot and my wife and I were there for at least 18 of 24 of ours.

So sad.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Austinvines said:

Chez Nous will not reopen. We had a family dinner last night and it came up. We were hopeful but also concerned that they hadn’t reopened as of now. My wife got an email from them this morning saying they won’t reopen.

They opened in 82 and my folks started taking us there in 84. It was the perfect date/anniversary spot and my wife and I were there for at least 18 of 24 of ours.

So sad.

I’ve never been to Chez Nous, so looked it up only to discover that that building used to be known as Louie’s Lounge back in the 1960s.
It was a fun dive beer joint where I & my college bros would hang out sometimes for beers and tabletop shuffleboard. Those were the days well before 6th Street “gentrified” into the weird Austin music scene in the 1970s. Very sketchy neighborhood then.

• 3 months later...

They sold it to some people who are keeping the building and using the property for some deal for orphaned kids.

This is Elly, the main bar operator from Dry Creek with the full official last word on the closing of The Dry Creek Cafe and Boat Dock.
The entire property has sold, the new owners will not be keeping the bar open but plan to keep the building. They also plan to use the property to create some sort of a day camp type situation for orphaned children so there are 2 beautiful silver linings to the culmination of the bars time here in Austin.
Buddy is content with the outcome, it was just the right time for him to sell, so there is no need to be upset on his behalf or with the new owners.
Myself and anyone else associated with Dry Creek will be happy to have you come in and share your happy memories and make a few more before we close our doors or post pictures or lovely comments on our page.

We would however please ask to not be contacted outside of those avenues as it has become overwhelming and we would not like to hear anymore upset or bargaining, it is time for acceptance.
Please be considerate to us and focus on enjoying the place while we still have it. 

The closing date will be October 31st and we are going to go out with a bang!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Yeah, I’m surprised they stuck around in that spot as long as they did.  maybe somebody will buy the 7 acre, 60k square foot Trudy’s that somehow, mysteriously, couldn’t swing the note on that airport sized property slinging shitty food and worse drinks 

manuels downtown closed forever.  Loved their salsa and achiote salad.  

On 9/17/2021 at 8:14 PM, HenryJames said:

It’s a pain to get to at rush hour.  And it’s a pain to park.  I don’t get there as often as I used to, but here’s what’s gonna happen.  

Surly happy hour/farewell address at Dry Creek Friday before OK-State game, 15 October.  5-7pm let’s say, or later if there’s lotsa folks heading into town for the game.  I’ll hold down a few tables for us earlier in the afternoon, and buy a round for those there, and load up the jukebox.  

50 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, I’m surprised they stuck around in that spot as long as they did.  maybe somebody will buy the 7 acre, 60k square foot Trudy’s that somehow, mysteriously, couldn’t swing the note on that airport sized property slinging shitty food and worse drinks 

manuels downtown closed forever.  Loved their salsa and achiote salad.  

The group who own Uchi bought it. No idea what they plan on doing with that monstrosity 

Hai Hospitality bought the Trudy's space in Dripping Springs or Manuel's? 

Wow, that's crazy they'd buy the Trudy's space.  5 acres, 30,000 sq. ft.  

I would imagine one day it'll be a hotel/events space as a "gateway to the hill country" or "gateway to Austin", depending on your direction of approach.  But it's a teardown any way you slice it.  Land's good, and getting more valuable for its dirt with the growth across the street.  Maybe some sort of experiential dining outta town?  I dunno.  Seems like an odd play.  Those guys know their food and their margins, they don't always know their real estate though.  Curious to see how this shakes out.  

Anyway ,back to Surly Happy Hour at Dry Creek Cafe night before OK-STATE game.