So I got a WSM...

thunderlounge

Yes, garbage.

Buck up the $30 or whatever for a maverick 733 (or whatever number it is, maybe 732? shit I've slept since then)

6 hours ago, Dutch said:

@UTexasFight, to what final temp did you cook the meatloaf, and how hot did you run the WSM during the cook? 

Looks great.

Until it's cooked.

I run at 325* for an hour 15, to an hour and 30 minutes. Pretty much take your oven temp/time, and do it in the smoke. Smoker is like an oven in terms of temp/time, if you can keep your shit consistent. (Thanks, WSM. :))

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Dutch said:

@UTexasFight, to what final temp did you cook the meatloaf, and how hot did you run the WSM during the cook? 

Looks great.

https://kentrollins.com/best-smoked-meatloaf/

tried to cook it to 160-165 like the link recommended at 250-275.

Link says 2-2.5 hrs but that’s BS...at least for as large of a roll of meat that I ended up rolling. It took me 4.5 hrs and had to finish in the oven at 350, although I was running closer to 240 on the WSM for a good chunk of the time. If I had pegged it to 275, may have finished closer to 2.5-3 hrs if I had to guess.

Pretty tasty though. Smoke flavor on meatloaf is way better than straight up oven meatloaf

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

What's the feeling on the built-in thermometer in the 18" lid?  Garbage?  I'm not gonna stand there with my Thermapen in the port (hey-o), but I guess I'd be OK buying a standalone temp probe that I just leave there.

After years of using the grill grate temp probe on the Maverick, I decided the lid thermometer was 35 degrees higher, and since I only cook at two speeds when I get to temp, i.e., one vent open pencil width or all vents wide open, I stopped bothering with the extra probe.  But lately, I've gone out there and it's seemed really low (like 150 on the lid).  So I'd adjust by opening the vents, and it would come up to 200 on the lid.  Stuff was coming out a little tougher and I was using lots of fuel.  I checked and the lid was reading 80 degrees higher now.   

But, still, for some reason, I'm lazy with the extra probe since that controller has been less than reliable lately.  So I bought a new adjustable lid thermometer.  I'll drill out the lid hole a bit and screw it on.  I'll put the grate probe in, and calibrate the lid thermometer to whatever the probe on the top grate (the hotter grate) is reading. 

TLDR, yes, the lid thermometer is junk.  I'm replacing it with something better and calibrating it to a digital probe on the grate during the next cook so I can still be lazy with my probes.

Edited by dcbc

Where geographically are you? The WSM has no effective insulation so cold ambient will help you keep temps low. Otherwise, make a thin snake of coals or use a smoking tube, so you have very little burning at any one time.

I smoked the salmon in Shiner tonight. 60ish degrees.

8 - 10 oz filets. Brined for 12 hours. Let them sit to develop pellicle for 4 hours with a fan blowing on them. Smoked for 4.5 hours around 150 degrees. Pulled them around 140 degree internal temp.

Very impressed how the WSM was able to smoke at the low temp without getting too hot. Didn’t expect that. Went with the thin snake method. Only started with around 10 lit coals on one end. 4.5 hours later only about 1/4 of the way around the snake were burned.

Wish I had more pics. These were the first 2 filets I pulled. Will eat them on toasted buttery croissants with garlic cream cheese in the morning.

972b320df6a57aa4c251542482424d6c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Did a hot and fast brisket again however this time I ignored the direction (from the Weber Virtual Bullet website recipe) to flip it fat side up when I foil it during the second/last 2.5 hours of cook and ended up with much better bark this time and still the same great taste as my other hot and fast cooks. Live and learn.

6c98e3f4e483a0d4ab8f0378784d1385.jpg

06f5135e0d3774aadcda1ee68d834a96.jpg

• 1 month later...

Yes. Cooked without the water pan in place at all and then put the grate directly over the coals for around 5 minutes at the end. Definitely gonna do it again very soon. Loved how quick it all was. Around 2 hours total from lighting up the first coals.

BTW, used this spice mix as the rub which was great. In fact, we just used it again tonight on some grilled chicken and it was equally great.

9a047c8f4ff53450746699566da57424.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wife bought me an assortment of rubs from Meat Church. Decided to test 4 of them by splitting two racks of pork ribs in half. While all were good, the consensus favorite was the Holy Cow (nice and spicy). Gospel was the mildest. Honey was the sweetest. Holy Gospel was kind of a mix (and was my brother and my second favorite though my wife and daughter’s least favorite).

19f9b12389cd229fd75aaac60b2b209b.jpg

7a3b4494241cfd8c6539213d14af40df.jpg

51e99d1db197a156ec16b70cc538b2a7.jpg

eedee17ac46a9f5277436e0c0ca77031.jpg

06ae1c0792f3e45f9b8b1780a17110df.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, dcbc said:

Finally bit the bullet and got a big charcoal ring.  No more reloading on long cooks.

https://www.arborfab.com/CharcoalRingforWeberSmokeyMountainGrill22.5inWSM

Nice! Been thinking of getting something like that myself. Also been thinking of “upgrading” to an old country “smokehouse” from Academy as well. Still in the thinking about it phase though. 

1 hour ago, thunderlounge said:

Nice! Been thinking of getting something like that myself. Also been thinking of “upgrading” to an old country “smokehouse” from Academy as well. Still in the thinking about it phase though. 

I've heard the QC on the Old Country pits can be hit and miss, but the quality of the $900 models is pretty good.  In the summer, if I'm really careful with my charcoal pour, I can get 20 lbs into the factory ring and up to 18 hours of cook time, but having more than enough room is better, and the holes appear to provide more flow. 

Shipping was brutal, unfortunately. 

Edited by dcbc

31 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I've heard the QC on the Old Country pits can be hit and miss, but the quality of the $900 models is pretty good.  In the summer, if I'm really careful with my charcoal pour, I can get 20 lbs into the factory ring, but having more than enough room is better, and the holes appear to provide more flow. 

Shipping was brutal, unfortunately. 

Probably no more brutal than me kicking my wsm at the river last fall. Whoops!

The one I was looking at is $699. Took welds into consideration, but that can be fixed if needed. Would rather get a run about, but isn’t in the cards now or within 3-4 years for space or getting it to/from the back of the house. 

I figure I can get a lot of use out of the OC, or keep on sitting and waiting. 

18 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Probably no more brutal than me kicking my wsm at the river last fall. Whoops!

The one I was looking at is $699. Took welds into consideration, but that can be fixed if needed. Would rather get a run about, but isn’t in the cards now or within 3-4 years for space or getting it to/from the back of the house. 

I figure I can get a lot of use out of the OC, or keep on sitting and waiting. 

I'd rather spend an extra $900 spaced out on paypal 0% interest and get a Lone Star Grill(z).  I don't know if the weld's are the problem, but the fit can be a moving target.

9 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I'd rather spend an extra $900 spaced out on paypal 0% interest and get a Lone Star Grill(z).  I don't know if the weld's are the problem, but the fit can be a moving target.

Thought about that too, or a Jambo. But if I’m spending that much I want my trailer. 

This is kind of a semi upgrade (still mostly charcoal like a wsm, but can take sticks too) to tide me over for a few years until I get moved and settled. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, thunderlounge said:

Thought about that too, or a Jambo. But if I’m spending that much I want my trailer. 

This is kind of a semi upgrade (still mostly charcoal like a wsm, but can take sticks too) to tide me over for a few years until I get moved and settled. 

I get the thought process, but at that point, I just upgrade the charcoal ring. :)

7 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Yeah, this sounds like a debate between dropping $40 on shocks to repair an old Civic or buying a new Accord.

And you already have your stereo presets, driver's seat position, and rear view mirror set up just right in the Civic.

Edited by dcbc

3 minutes ago, 77horn said:

Just how brutal was it?

1 minute ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

About tree fiddy.

Close.  Just move the decimal over to the right one place.  $35 on a $60 item.  That's why I've put off buying for so long.

2 minutes ago, 77horn said:

That a pretty steep shipping $.  I guess its the dimensions that kill it.  Reminds me of the early days of Amazon.  They had a molded kids swimming pool priced at ~$8. Shipping was $100.

Coincidentally, they just credited my paypal $10.  So I guess shipping wasn't as much as the FedEx tool foretold.  Still pretty steep.  It's not small, but it's stainless steel.  So I guess there's some heft to it.

16 hours ago, dcbc said:

Still less than $100. :)

Only if I can work it back to round. 

7 hours ago, dcbc said:

And you already have your stereo presets, driver's seat position, and rear view mirror set up just right in the Civic.

yeah, but what about the oval rims and busted shocks?

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

yeah, but what about the oval rims and busted shocks?

21 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Yeah, this sounds like a debate between dropping $40 on shocks to repair an old Civic or buying a new Accord.

I literally started with replacing the shocks!

• Hook 'Em 1

Did another beef rib today. Decided to try wrapping in butcher paper and with wagyu beef tallow after reading about it on the brisket thread (thanks to whomever originally posted about it). Was outstanding. While I’ve always been pleased with my beef rib, this was even more moist and flavorful than usual. Looking forward to trying it on a brisket.

865f092ae90a632337afea240cca53be.jpg

13f8cf61ee9ef50ce452c19d0a0bda75.jpg

42ffb844e99397e6219da19d038cd48d.jpg

• Like 2
  • Drool 2