So I got a WSM...

thunderlounge

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

did you do a break-in cook? 

No break in burn. The break in cook was throwing 2 racks of ribs and a pork belly on today, in the whipping winds here in Central TX. This thing performed like a champ, with hardly any adjustments. CB wheels, door and charcoal ring. I bought the side table too, but I got too eager and decided to just cook today. 

On 3/6/2022 at 4:45 PM, SurlyBDR said:

So I got a WSM

Screenshot-20220306-154327-Gallery.jpg

20220306-133910.jpg

20220306-133954.jpg

There’s a lot of unused space there where you could fit sausages and ham hocks. Don’t let that smoke go to waste. There’s always room for sausages. I’ve demonstrated this principle for a friend and yet he refuses to adopt the practice. I can’t understand it. Who doesn’t love smoked sausage? When we get together to BBQ and I smoke sausages for lunch while we’re smoking something else for dinner, he gobbles them up. But when he’s smoking alone he never ever throws some sausages on the smoker. It’s baffling.

Congrats on the rig, btw. I haven’t seen one with wheels before. 

Man, it was windy in Dallas on Sunday and I burned through charcoal pretty fast.  This was all on my 18.5" WSM.  Props to whomever recently said "there's always room for sausage." I managed to squeeze a couple pounds in there between my turkey and 2 racks of spare ribs.  I used to do the 3-2-1 on ribs, but I think I like them better with just 5-6 hours straight on the smoke.  I don't want them completely falling apart and they have a nice bit of "chew" to them still this way.

PXL_20220314_000322498.thumb.jpg.77da54ca826a40d7e19409d84049b550.jpg

PXL_20220314_000514894.thumb.jpg.7618b023ebe3fe057013de730d13fb84.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Drool 3

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So, a quick update on that Arbor Fabricating basket I bought.  It's nice.  It's forever.  It holds 30 lbs of charcoal.  But damn, it burns hot.  I used to be able to hold 238F all night with one vent open a pencil width.  But now it's higher, and the high temp alarm of 275 is waking me up at 6 am on a Saturday.  No bueno.  But before, I was having to get up by 8 to add Charcoal.  So also no bueno. 

I bought a DigiQ temp controller.  I don't think it's absolutely necessary.  But making this even easier is my goal, I guess.

Update on the DigiQ.  This thing is rock solid.  But last night, I was wondering what was going on.  I had a remote pit probe in the WSM as well, and it was reading 40 degrees higher.  I fiddled with it for a while and eventually (hours later) the clip-onto-the-grate probe for the DigiQ matched what I was seeing with the aftermarket-and-adjusted lid thermometer.  I assumed that either ambient temp near the grate was just higher or maybe my remote probe was borked.

I get why they use an alligator clip.  The direct-to-grate contact keeps the temp sensor from swinging too wildly.  And getting it about 4" away from the meat is pretty key.  When I woke up this morning, the thing was 225 dead on, and the remote probe was reading the ambient air about 10 degrees higher.  The best part is that fuel consumption was way lower than just running the WSM with one vent cracked. 

The DigiQ has some really useful features.  It has several menu settings so that it operates differently for different kinds of pits.  Setting 3 is specifically designed for the WSM.  It also has a ramp down feature that works in conjunction with the food probe if you have to be away.  It will ramp down the temperature to your food set point so you don't overcook.  Basically a hold function.  I don't have that turned on because I don't want it dropping the temps as it approaches the "done" range of temperatures for the brisket I have on there since I'm hear to probe it and pull it when done.

In the end, I'm really happy with this thing.  I won't always want to cook at 225, but I've never been able to get the WSM to sit consistently at that temperature, particularly when it's 90+ degrees outside.  And it really has settled down this Arbor fabricating charcoal basket, which tended to run at a much higher temp that then original.  The price isn't too nuts either.

/edit.  After the wrap, I just upped the temp to 250 and walked away.  I'm not trying to eat at midnight.  But that sure was easy.  I'm really impressed how this thing does not overshoot and holds the set temp once it gets through it's learning period (whatever that is).

cf17bc8376920e8bd5fd4563fdcb8d4b.jpg3bdea50bc76534a1c2ff458d8604061b.jpg

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

Thanks for the info on how it all worked out. 

Then the added bonus of the digiQ info was well worth the read. 

I ran ribs yesterday and had a hard time keeping it under 280. One vent barely cracked, had to choke the top vent a good bit. I lit off with 6 coals too. 

Ribs turned out fire though, so there’s that.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, thunderlounge said:

I ran ribs yesterday and had a hard time keeping it under 280. One vent barely cracked, had to choke the top vent a good bit. I lit off with 6 coals too. 

I brought the temp up to 260 to push through, then brought it back down to 250 when I hit 195 (just to see).  I'm so impressed with this thing.  There's also a baffle on the fan to fine tune.  Basically, anything under 250, you run the fan half open.  This thing is not just full on or full off.  It cycles in quarter second bursts to hold things right on the money. 

Pictures to follow, but this brisket looks like one of the better ones I've cooked lately.  I changed things up (for me).  I used the John Lewis rub with Lawry's and SPG (ratio: 3/3/8/1) but added a little cayenne (1/3 pt) and still am firmly team "no binder."  I also rendered the better part of the trimmings on the stove (thought doing it on the smoker was a little too smokey last time), and put little pats of tallow on the brisket when I pulled it to rest.  I resisted when it was rumor, but Goldee's was doing it in that video on the brisket thread; who am I to refuse.

Pics to follow, unless it sucks, in which case, I had to rescue children from a burning building and forgot to take them.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

I've used a digiQ and Fireboard.  I like them both, but I prefer the fireboard because I don't have to run an extension cord to power it.  I do add a little portable wireless USB charger if I'm running it overnight or don't want to worry about the battery.  The interface on the app is also great.

They're both awesome gadgets.  Just sharing some additional info.

• Hook 'Em 2

dcbc about to talk me into the digiQ.   Upgraded from my 18 year old 18.5 WSM a couple of years ago to a 22.  I had that 18.5 dialed in where I knew what it would do, how long it would run, etc.  This 22 has been a learning curve.  It eats a shit ton more fuel than the 18.5.  Hard to find and hold temps.  That little fan is gonna be in my near future.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, baboso said:

dcbc about to talk me into the digiQ.   Upgraded from my 18 year old 18.5 WSM a couple of years ago to a 22.  I had that 18.5 dialed in where I knew what it would do, how long it would run, etc.  This 22 has been a learning curve.  It eats a shit ton more fuel than the 18.5.  Hard to find and hold temps.  That little fan is gonna be in my near future.

When I had the original charcoal basket, I had an easier time holding temps with one vent cracked to a #2 pencil width.  With the new, larger basket, it started running a little more erratically on the hot side.  I haven't had much luck with higher temps on the WSM with brisket.  The DigiQ dialed it in and was like using an oven once it settled in.  Just read the instructions start to finish before using it, and it will work well.  Also, pick up some 3/4" hole plugs to seal off the other two openings on the vent you're using. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Where can one source those?
10-pack on Amazon or Cheaper at Home Depot or the like.  You only need 3 for the extra holes on the vent where the fan is attached.  If you want to go without the fan, the adapter has a silicone plug and you can just use the other two vents to regulate the temp.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-3-4-in-Nickel-Plated-Steel-Hole-Plug-807798/204273771

• Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, baboso said:

dcbc about to talk me into the digiQ.

My interest is piqued as well. I don’t typically have much trouble at home with mine being in a shack. It does become much more work to do so if I take it out camping or elsewhere.

So it would be nice at home, and a game changer outside the house. 

13 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

My interest is piqued as well. I don’t typically have much trouble at home with mine being in a shack. It does become much more work to do so if I take it out camping or elsewhere.

So it would be nice at home, and a game changer outside the house. 

It needs a power source, but will run on DC, I think.

Also, I forgot to mention that it has an open lid sensing function.  So it doesn't go crazy and turn on the fan full blast if there's a sudden temperature drop from opening the lid.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 9/23/2022 at 4:48 PM, thunderlounge said:

I run over 285 and sometimes close to 300 on the reg.   Cuts down time and final product is constantly superior to the stuff I used to run at the 230-250 temps I used to run.

Low and slow = waste of time.

One man's experience.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

I run over 285 and sometimes close to 300 on the reg.   Cuts down time and final product is constantly superior to the stuff I used to run at the 230-250 temps I used to run.

One man's experience.

I agree wholeheartedly. I will run hot when I can. Just depends on timing for me.

I do prefer ribs around 265-275 though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

One man's experience.

I've tried letting it run into the 270s (because with this basket, that's what it did and because I've read many posts like yours saying how well it works).  But I was not impressed with how the flat turned out on several of the higher temp cooks I've done since getting the larger basket.  Based on this most recent cook, I'll do 225 until I wrap and 250--260 until done.  I don't care about the extra time if the product tastes as good as this one did, particularly since I sleep through most of the process.  I know the pros do well with high temps on offsets, but with the WSM, that hasn't been my experience.  I'm glad you've got it figured out on yours though.  There's no one way to do it.

The beauty is, that when I want to ramp up temps, there's little need to monitor it to see if my guess with how much I opened the vent got me where I wanted to be.  Which means I can go about my business and not have to keep as much of an eye on things.  Don't tell my wife.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

@dcbc I was petrified to do higher temp WSM cooks, but Champkind walked me through it and the brisket was better than I had done at my old temp (240-250).  

I like a real good crunch on the outside though.  That’s just me.  

But you said it, there is no one right way.  If what comes off the smoke is what you prefer then lock your variables in, stay consistent, and keep your cardiologist on speed-dial.

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 2

Sometimes I like starting low and then cranking up. I rarely use the water pan (filled with sand) anymore. I'll just double up some of the thick foil from HEB and place it on the bottom grate. That's a good temporary heat sink for 2-3 hours or so. When I want to go hot I'll pull the foil through the door and open the vents. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Cajun said:

I like a real good crunch on the outside though.  That’s just me.

The bark on my low and slow cook was definitely not as meteoric as the higher temp cooks or the low and slow, no-wrap cooks I've done.  Definitely one of those things that I had to do a deliberate sawing motion with the knife when slicing to keep everything looking pretty.  It did stand up well though.  The end pieces had some good combination of tenderness and crunch though. 

Another upside of going a little slower for me is the opportunity to spritz it a few times before I wrap.  When I can do that, I feel like the bark sets up a little better for me.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, dcbc said:

The bark on my low and slow cook was definitely not as meteoric as the higher temp cooks or the low and slow, no-wrap cooks I've done.  Definitely one of those things that I had to do a deliberate sawing motion with the knife when slicing to keep everything looking pretty.  It did stand up well though.  The end pieces had some good combination of tenderness and crunch though. 

Another upside of going a little slower for me is the opportunity to spritz it a few times before I wrap.  When I can do that, I feel like the bark sets up a little better for me.

What is your spritz?