So I got a WSM...

thunderlounge

10 hours ago, Cajun said:

My WSM is old, broken down, and starting to look like it’s ready for assisted living, but gotdamn it still produces pearls. 

I have a 20 year old wsm, and a newer one I bought on the cheap on nextdoor.  Old one is beat to hell from use/ travel, but, with some replacement parts, still works great.  Newer one works, and is prettier.  Don't need two, and want to clear up some space, so, going to have to make a decision.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

I picked up a choice packer at Wally World today for $33.  I'm guessing around 13 lbs with a nice, thick flat.  Too good to pass up.  So I fired up the WSM and with the knowledge that I can trust the DigiQ, I'm going to run it all night at 225F until it's time to wrap tomorrow morning, at which point, I'll crank up the heat a little bit.  The WSM was 90% set-and-forget before.  Now, it's a picture of automation, and I'll sleep well with that in mind.  Pics tomorrow.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 2

• 3 months later...

Speaking of WSM, haven't seen this thread up in a while, so:

Any of you guys try the Jealous Devil briquettes in your WSM, specifically 22s, yet? 

Finally got a hold of some and threw a lit chimney in the basket on top of maybe 20 more un-lits. No pan, and in (what seemed like) no time* I was up to 500. Put some cross cut ribs and burgers on, and obviously that dropped the temp down, but they still went pretty quick. 

*figured I'd edit to explain what I feel is "no time." Once I dumped the lit on-top of the un-lit, I let it stay for five minutes before putting the rest of the body on to start heating up and catching the un-lit. Once all assembled, I had all three vents wide open, obviously, and the door open for about another five minutes before closing. The thermo quickly got up to 500 after this. 

Edited by UncleBuck

2 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

Any of you guys try the Jealous Devil briquettes in your WSM, specifically 22s, yet? 

Finally got a hold of some and threw a lit chimney in the basket on top of maybe 20 more un-lits. No pan, and in (what seemed like) no time* I was up to 500. Put some cross cut ribs and burgers on, and obviously that dropped the temp down, but they still went pretty quick. 

*figured I'd edit to explain what I feel is "no time." Once I dumped the lit on-top of the un-lit, I let it stay for five minutes before putting the rest of the body on to start heating up and catching the un-lit. Once all assembled, I had all three vents wide open, obviously, and the door open for about another five minutes before closing. The thermo quickly got up to 500 after this. 

Short answer: I haven't tried them yet.

Soliloquy: I get a wild hair from reading too many BBQ posts every once in a while and will try something new.  So far, when it comes to different types of fuel, the results haven't tasted noticeably different from KBB (some people can taste a distinct, unpleasant flavor from KBB; I cannot).  But usually, my takeaway is that I have to make a lot of adjustments to the cooker in the process to make it do what I want it to do.  Some other things, like the big charcoal basket from ArborFab, have been worth the adjustment because it's a great piece of kit.  Other things like charcoal changes or my recent foil boat experiment have not improved what I'd hope they'd improve and just caused me to vary from what has been an otherwise successful routine.  Now does all of this mean I won't continue to try new stuff.  Absolutely not.  But  nine times out of ten, I go back to what wasn't broken.

Other worthwhile improvements: ArborFab charcoal basket; clay pots in the water pan; pizza pan type water pan cover (foiled over); Cajun bandit door; gasket under the lid; notch in the center section for the probes instead of using the probe port; and, last but not least, the BBQ Guru temp controller. 

Let us know how the Jealous Devil briquettes do for you.

Edited by dcbc

16 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Short answer: I haven't tried them yet.

Soliloquy: I get a wild hair from reading too many BBQ posts every once in a while and will try something new.  So far, when it comes to different types of fuel, the results haven't tasted noticeably different from KBB (some people can taste a distinct, unpleasant flavor from KBB; I cannot).  But usually, my takeaway is that I have to make a lot of adjustments to the cooker in the process to make it do what I want it to do.  Some other things, like the big charcoal basket from ArborFab, have been worth the adjustment because it's a great piece of kit.  Other things like charcoal changes or my recent foil boat experiment have not improved what I'd hope they'd improve and just caused me to vary from what has been an otherwise successful routine.  Now does all of this mean I won't continue to try new stuff.  Absolutely not.  But  nine times out of ten, I go back to what wasn't broken.

Other worthwhile improvements: ArborFab charcoal basket; clay pots in the water pan; pizza pan type water pan cover (foiled over); Cajun bandit door; gasket under the lid; notch in the center section for the probes instead of using the probe port; and, last but not least, the BBQ Guru temp controller. 

Let us know how the Jealous Devil briquettes do for you.

KBB is my go-to. Cooks slow enough on longer cooks, but also hotter than say, B&B or Franklin, when you wanna go hot-hot. Ony my briskets, butts etc..., I've always liked to go low and slow until the wrap, and then go wide open and finish quick after. Have had a hard time getting B&B/Franklin up very hot at that point, but KBB will get around 300 much easier. But it would take much more lit KBB and much more time for me to even imagine getting KBB up to what I did the Jealous Devil, in the amount of time I did. So basically, I'll use Jealous Devil for hot-hot-hot. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

Just used these for the first time in my 18.5 a couple of weeks ago for a long weekend cook for a party (brisket, ribs, pork belly)

All the reviews said they run way hot but I did not have that experience. Could tell they are good because my fire starter didn't chug smoke like a coal locomotive like with Kingsford.

I was gonna be cooking for 24 hours so I bought two boxes, but didn't even use all of the first one.

Verdict: I am a fan.

• Hook 'Em 3

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/19/2023 at 12:45 AM, Gil Bang said:

Ho-Lee fuck.  I walked up the BBQ aisle at Home Depot today. The 18 is now 450 fucking dollars.  

I see it is currently $419 at Home Depot. But on Amazon it's $359.75 right now. Guessing that won't last long.

11 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

I see it is currently $419 at Home Depot. But on Amazon it's $359.75 right now. Guessing that won't last long.

I paid about $360 for 22" about six years ago back when a dime bag cost a dime.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I paid about $360 for 22" about six years ago back when a dime bag cost a dime.

I paid $200 with free shipping for a Char-Broil 20" Bullet Smoker on sale in September. Haven't cooked anything with it yet but fired it up today to cook off oils, etc. I'll need to add some seals to the door and lid, but liking the vent control on this unit.

• Hook 'Em 1

Cooking up some ribs, sausage, and a chuck roast (brisket style).  From 21 degrees when I started to 18 degrees now, the WSM with the BBQ Guru has held temps perfectly.  I'm sure I'm burning through the fuel but this is as cold of weather as I've ever run it. 

e32174ed530c78b9ad02385e2d130568.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

So what can I sell a slightly used 22" WSF for these days? With cover, upgraded thermometer, upgraded diffuser and door seal...  Won a XL BGE at a raffle and later bought a Traeger right after got the WSM and it's just sitting in my garage...

28 minutes ago, Grimas said:

So what can I sell a slightly used 22" WSF for these days? With cover, upgraded thermometer, upgraded diffuser and door seal...  Won a XL BGE at a raffle and later bought a Traeger right after got the WSM and it's just sitting in my garage...

You can probably get higher than I suggest, but personally, I don't like to dick around when selling something like this and would price it to move. I'd probably list it around $350 to $375. I have seen them listed for north of $400 however.

30 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

You can probably get higher than I suggest, but personally, I don't like to dick around when selling something like this and would price it to move. I'd probably list it around $350 to $375. I have seen them listed for north of $400 however.

Thanks! I was thinking 250-300 off the top of my head so I'll shoot for more...  :)

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Any recs for a DIY water pan (18" WSM)?  My old one has seen better days.  Do those disposable aluminum foil pans work?

If you can find a Brinkmann water pan for their shitty version of the WSM, it works and will hold more water.  Academy used to have them for sale.

• Hook 'Em 2

I measured the bowl and bought a pizza pan from Amazon that I foil and lay on top. Works great.
It’s been a few years so I don’t have the exact link, but it shouldn’t be hard to measure that bowl if your husband is around.

11 minutes ago, tigol said:

I measured the bowl and bought a pizza pan from Amazon that I foil and lay on top. Works great.
It’s been a few years so I don’t have the exact link, but it shouldn’t be hard to measure that bowl if your husband is around.

Thanks, I'll ask him to take care of that.

50 minutes ago, Grimas said:

Thanks! I was thinking 250-300 off the top of my head so I'll shoot for more...  :)

Market value for stuff like this tends to be local. Your initial price range may be the better one. You might check your local craigslist to see what they're going for, assuming you can find any listed. I personally wouldn't try to squeeze every last dime out of it. Good luck with your sale.

Donde?

5 hours ago, tigol said:

I've got a cover on the bowl for my 22".  It helps keep the foil from sagging.

• 2 months later...