DARK SIDE OF THE RING

lateshow

15 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I hadn’t heard of this, but I’ll have to check it out.  Unfortunately, there’s a lot of material for someone doing a show about the dark side of wrestling.   Hell, Vince McMahon is the biggest success story, and you could probably do a whole season on how fucked up he is, to say nothing of the truly sad cases.

It's on the Vice channel and the second season just premiered last night. I highly recommend. Even if you're not exactly a fan of wrestling. Hell, I haven't watched in 20 years, but the stories of their lives and backstage are fascinating. 

Edited by lateshow
  • Like 2

Yep, I haven’t watched since the WCW days on channel 21 on Friday nights in DFW. That Von Erich episode last season was crazy good. 

All 6 season 1 eps are available on VICE On Demand, only an hour each. Benoit was the first 2-hour one. 

It was very well done and pretty gut-wrenching. weird thing personally for me is that I met Nancy and first husband Kevin Sullivan at a gas station in Daytona when I was there for spring break in 1990 (he was quite proud to let me know she was his wife) , and also met Guerrero and Benoit at a 24 Hour Fitness probably about 2003 in Houston. Eddie was legit cool as hell and just as everyone described him Chris was very guarded.  Very tragic tale for sure 

Don’t have the first clue who New Jack is, but the guide info sounds fun. 

One of the most feared and controversial wrestlers of all time, New Jack's career reads like a criminal rap- sheet. Revealing the man behind the monster and his hardcore legacy.

Ho lee fuk, just watched New Jack, that shit was way fucking crazier than I expected. 

Think this series is even better for people that don’t follow wrestling anymore, because a lot of this shit is brand-ass new. 

I've been watching off and on. The ones I've seen were strong to quite strong. I quit following wrestling after the VonErichs other than seeing WWF(E?) promo stuff with Hogan, etc on network shows. All this is new to me other than recognizing a name here and there.

Edited by RPM

11 hours ago, ss13 said:

That episode actually sucked, but no one is watching anyway. Good one for the DVR to miss. 

I wouldn't say it sucked. It was far from their best, though. It could be that I already knew that whole story, so I wasn't as excited for this one. 

1 hour ago, WBT said:

The Dino Bravo one last night was pretty good.  Bootlegging cigarettes, serious business.

Also, his daughter...would.

Agreed and agreed. 

I didn't know the Natives in Canada were so tied into organized crime. 

Edited by lateshow

24 minutes ago, ss13 said:

^ No shit, he is the fucking highlight of the show. 

He's got a good podcast doing just that. 

I also listen to Something to Wrestle with Bruce Prichard, commonly known as Brother Love. It's great for wrestling history. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ss13 said:

Best part was slapping him the second time. 

the second one was a pretty fucking good shot

4 hours ago, lateshow said:

He's got a good podcast doing just that. 

I also listen to Something to Wrestle with Bruce Prichard, commonly known as Brother Love. It's great for wrestling history. 

agree. my favorites are Corny's stories about fans coming after wrestlers in the old territory days, particularly this one about Hercules Hernandez (not with Bruce but still awesome- wait for it!)

• Like 4

I am really enjoying this show although last nights was kind of boring.  Sadly, I remember watching the UWF for a brief period but must have been too young to understand how crappy it was.  I also watched the one with the brawl for all deal where the WWE guys boxed each other.  I don’t remember that whole angle but I enjoyed the episode way more than the cocaine and cowboy boots deal.  As long as the episode has Jim Cornette talking I am really interested because anything that guy says is great.  

• Like 1

I really liked the episode. I’ve known at least a little bit about all the stories thus far, except this one. Don’t remember the upstart UWF, much less it’s coke fueled, prostitute loving, Vaseline/oil smeared owner. But it’s the perfect wrestling story