DARK SIDE OF THE RING

lateshow

On 7/19/2021 at 6:38 PM, BrickHorn said:

Hopefully, next season they’ll cover Stan Lane and the allegations that he’s the illegitimate father of congresswoman Lauren Boebert.

Hadn't heard about this but holy shit from his wiki 

"On July 31, 2021 Salon Magazine & Raw Story released an article[20] which notes that the Karen Weary, who oversaw the paternity test in 1990 was convicted of switching blood samples in paternity tests for which she had received personal funding so that said fathers could avoid paying child support. North Carolina was mandated to notify everyone involved in Weary's cases and retest all the samples she had taken that excluded fathers. Boebert's mother had by then moved to Colorado and was unaware of this development until many years later. Lane still refuses to be retested."

On 10/1/2022 at 1:07 AM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Tuesday at 9, first episode covers Memphis. 

This was really good.  It was just an hour of Lawler, Jeff Jarrett and his dad Jerry, Jimmy Hart, and Dutch Martell sitting around a table telling stories with the same type of re-enactments they do for Dark Side of the Ring.

Jimmy Hart is an interesting story. Had a hit in 65 with the Gentry’s, Keep on Dancin. They were a mainstay of the bar scene in Memphis until Jimmy stumbled into the wrestling thing. The few times I met him at music gigs he was a nice guy.

There were several Memphis folks that had hits n the mid60’s and Hart overall did best because of the wrestling. Alex Chilton and the Box Tops were huge with the Letter, he then weirded out with proto punk Big Star, and then with punk Panther Burns. Alex always had a screw loose. Sid Selvidge loaned him a 57 Strat and he destroyed it with a chain saw at the Antenna club. Booker T and the MGs helped build Stax and all did well. Duck Dunn played with the band I managed when he was in between touring with Clapton.

3 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

That was such a great bit. Kaufman had the whole city buzzing, even folks that paid no attention to wrestling. Was it real, was it a bit? Fuck look what Lawler did on Letterman! This shit is happening! Then he was supposedly dying then dead and no one believed it.

Check out the episode.  They go into all the details of what happened behind the scenes and it’s awesome.

Are yall talking about Medusa in the AWA episode? Shit, she, Sherry Martell, and Luna Vashon were about the only 3 absolutely legit women in wrestling. She definitely deserved to be there talking about it. She lived it just like the others. The AWA was a northwestern and Canadian promotion so people in the south would only have exposure to their wrestlers if they knew them later from WWF and WCW or if they traveled the territories down south. 

2 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Well, then I stand corrected. She sure didn’t add much on the episode though. 

Tonight is Championship Wrestling from Florida. 

Since I grew up in FL this is quite appealing to me.  Guessing we get some stories about Mike and Eddie Graham, Gordon Solie and Dusty Rhodes.  

1 hour ago, Jshep34 said:

Very interesting episode last night. Can't imagine the heat he got for the dad is a coward angle

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Yeah that was a crazy angle with...obvious parallels in real life  /nocr

Yeah, this week’s episode redeemed itself. 

For anyone that didn’t look up Eddie Graham’s death... 

Spoiler

Graham remained as the promoter in Florida until January 21, 1985, when he committed suicide by gunshot after a lifelong battle with alcoholism and depression. It is believed that Graham’s participation in a land deal gone wrong led to him needing to raise over $500,000, including financial and marriage problems contributed to his death. His son Mike and grandson Stephen committed suicide in similar manners on October 19, 2012, and December 14, 2010, respectively. 

He was posthumously inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame on March 29, 2008 by Dusty Rhodes, while his son, Mike Graham, accepted the honor on behalf of his father. 

It was ok.  Not as good as Memphis but better than the last few.  It was cool seeing Abdullah.  The highlights were Bret's stories about his old ass dad still putting holds on people.  And about being a little kid not smart to the business yet and being scared of heels that would come to the house.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 6/5/2023 at 1:34 AM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

“A goddamn broken ankle killed him.” 

Damn. 

On 6/5/2023 at 8:21 AM, Dennis Taylor said:

Didn't catch the episode, is that in reference to Pillman?

Chris Candido. 

Cornette said that for dramatic effect but it wasn't the ankle it was the dumb ass ignoring what they tell you and getting on a plane a day or two after surgery. You don't do that because the drastic change in altitudes can cause blood clots. He did it to make an appearance on TNA wrestling with a cast and crutches and developed blood clots that killed him. 

23 hours ago, Scraps said:

Probably wouldn't have even recognized Kevin Sullivan if they hadn't told me who it was

Probably posted this before but went to Daytona for spring break in 1990, and was gassing up the ginormous suburban we rode from Austin in. Sullivan was at the pump next to me and I recognized him...he lightly lectured me on us not fucking up his town then had me come see who was in his passenger seat of his Cadillac coupe-  none other than the future Nancy Benoit. She was hot as hell. He was in boots and still well under 6' but still not someone you'd want to fuck with 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1