College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

3 hours ago, Pasken said:

No. I don't think people wait hours to get in the stadium. Also, if your temperature is rising because you're outside then that's a good sign you have heatstroke in which case you have bigger issues. If you are hydrated then your temperature shouldn't rise unless you're a lizard. 

This will be an issue.

Playing the games with fans in the stands would be an amazing sort of dumb that will only result in bad news.

Playing the games without fans in the stands will be hard enough (I hope they can pull it off though). It's moronic to try to get fans in the stands.

Edited by MotownHorn

2 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

I'm assuming the players tested positive upon return to camp. lt'd be nice if we knew that they were all staying in their dorms and not going out with friends during their downtime but I just don't see how you can keep college kids from anyone from doing that. 

Fuck sitting in a 10x10 room for any extended period of time. Plus I thought the dorms closed and people had to move out?

10 minutes ago, ZB'Tejas said:

Fuck sitting in a 10x10 room for any extended period of time. Plus I thought the dorms closed and people had to move out?

I'm sure they reopened partially just for the student athletes. 

Standing in between extinction in the cold
And explosive radiating growth
So the warm blood flows
Through the large four-chambered heart
Maintaining the very high metabolism rate they have Mammal, mammal
Their names are called
They raise a paw
The bat, the cat
Dolphin and dog
Koala bear and hog  
i read this in Ricky The Laureate's voice...

1 hour ago, Snacks said:
On 6/10/2020 at 10:42 AM, Pimphand said:
Standing in between extinction in the cold
And explosive radiating growth
So the warm blood flows
Through the large four-chambered heart
Maintaining the very high metabolism rate they have Mammal, mammal
Their names are called
They raise a paw
The bat, the cat
Dolphin and dog
Koala bear and hog  

Read more  

i read this in Ricky The Laureate's voice...

haha 

Every major respiratory disease has been slowed in the Northern Hemisphere by longer and warmer days. Although we do not know this for sure and there is no clear evidence its certainly a high probability that the spread of this virus slows during the summer. 
And as a previous poster noted,  this is something we are going to have to adapt to. Health experts are defining public policy today because society has not really felt the economic consequences yet. When we have mass unemployment and costs are felt, there will be a shift in public policy that balances the risk of health against standard of living. When I hear the Governor of California say they are going to close for 12 weeks "or longer" I'm saying to myself lets see how that plan goes when the state starts bouncing checks and essential services stop. 
If we do not have the ability to meet in public places by the fall, the world would have fallen into complete anarchy. And college football would be the least of our concerns. Since I think that is not likely going to happen its logical to believe there will be a shift in policy that isolates at risk people more so than the entire US population and we get on with our lives. 

Sorry, bro... It's hot in Texas right now... and the 'rona is spreading pretty well. It's hotter in Arizona, and they just went into emergency something or other threatcon order 66.

I think CFB will be canceled, but the NFL will play.

Unless we're ready to accept that "amateur" athletics prioritizes revenue over everything, including the health of pretty much everyone.

Football is the opposite of social distancing.

Covid is not just going to burn out, no matter what the non-experts want.

No cure No play.
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Football is the opposite of social distancing.

Covid is not just going to burn out, no matter what the non-experts want.

No cure No play.

we just have to convince the experts that these large social gatherings are valuable to the general public health, and then we're good to go

Edited by SwanderedTalent

29 minutes ago, TexasMan said:

The first domino to fall.

It's coughigh. if they're a domino, they would fall to an empty table. Treat the kids and move fwd. Always move fwd, this country needs to rebel on being made to live in fear. Be cautious, smart and kind but move fwd.

It's unfortunate that COVID-19 has become so deeply partisan an issue. We could have addressed this situation with sensible policies, and establishing and enforcing norms like universal mask wearing inside businesses and other gathering places. But even that is too political in 2020. 

As a result, hospitalizations are rising across the state, and this wave is likely to crest later this summer or early fall -- at about the time football season starts. I have no idea whether that will lead to the cancellation or delay of the season, or no fans, or universal masks in the stands, or what. But it's difficult to see this being a "normal" season in any sense.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

The what?

Back in the day, when a kid got chicken pox, a bunch of the other moms would bring their kids over to play (a chicken pox party) so their kids would get exposed, get a (hopefully) mild case because of the age of the child, and then have immunity. This was in pre-vaccine (for chicken pox) days. We did it for our oldest (she’s 25), but the younger two (22 and 18) got vaccine shots. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't read much into the UH situation, give them credit for being cautious. I think the Premier League had around six positives on the first round of testing, and they had it down to zero including staff members within a couple weeks. They've had a handful since then as the season is about to start with no major issues.

CFB teams are several weeks away from having meaningful practices, so there is plenty of time to get everybody in and tested. Being college sports, there will be shenanigans and probably virus sparks popping up in every conference. Looks like that will be life in 2020...cross your fingers (after washing) and hope it works out.

11 hours ago, Bartles said:

I wouldn't read much into the UH situation, give them credit for being cautious. I think the Premier League had around six positives on the first round of testing, and they had it down to zero including staff members within a couple weeks. They've had a handful since then as the season is about to start with no major issues.

CFB teams are several weeks away from having meaningful practices, so there is plenty of time to get everybody in and tested. Being college sports, there will be shenanigans and probably virus sparks popping up in every conference. Looks like that will be life in 2020...cross your fingers (after washing) and hope it works out.

Wut? They were one of only a few schools who werent testing everyone

they only wanted to test symptomatic people. They are fucking idiots. Howd that work out for them?

Its likely that their lack of not wanting to test everyone has caused the virus-web-of-spread to hundreds, if not thousands of others

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bartles said:

spacer.png

• Like 1

On 6/10/2020 at 12:00 PM, Pasken said:

No. I don't think people wait hours to get in the stadium. Also, if your temperature is rising because you're outside then that's a good sign you have heatstroke in which case you have bigger issues. If you are hydrated then your temperature shouldn't rise unless you're a lizard. 

likely everyone will read low if they have any sort of sweat on their forehead.  Assuming they use a touchless infrared thermometer.  I assume they won't be taking people's temperature rectally 

1 hour ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

likely everyone will read low if they have any sort of sweat on their forehead.  Assuming they use a touchless infrared thermometer.  I assume they won't be taking people's temperature rectally 

At Kyle Field they certainly will be!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Except at aggy

edit. @utee94 beat me to it. 

Edited by nnm
  • Haha 1

On 6/12/2020 at 9:31 PM, Bartles said:

The EPL has 20 teams with a roster of 25 players.  NCAA football has 125 FCS and 129 FBS teams in Division I alone, with a roster of 105 players. 

Simkins Man has it right.  We could have had an approach that allowed for a quicker return to normalcy, but we didn't.  It's now too late.  I doubt there are any college athletics this fall, much less football.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 9:31 PM, Bartles said:

The EPL has 20 teams with a roster of 25 players.  NCAA football has 125 FCS and 129 FBS teams in Division I alone, with a roster of 105 players.  They are also all located in what is the equivalent of a mid-size US state. 

Simkins Man has it right.  We could have had an approach that allowed for a quicker return to normalcy, but we didn't.  It's now too late.  We will be in an endless cycle of hot zones until a vaccine.

• Like 1

Back in the day, when a kid got chicken pox, a bunch of the other moms would bring their kids over to play (a chicken pox party) so their kids would get exposed, get a (hopefully) mild case because of the age of the child, and then have immunity. This was in pre-vaccine (for chicken pox) days. We did it for our oldest (she’s 25), but the younger two (22 and 18) got vaccine shots. 
yep. my mom sent me to spend the weekend with a friend who's little sister got chicken pox.

I've been around so many people with chicken pox,
even adults, yet I've never had chicken pox or a vaccine.

11 hours ago, Snacks said:
I've been around so many people with chicken pox,
even adults, yet I've never had chicken pox or a vaccine.

Count your blessings.

My comment was tongue in check.  The great scourge of Chicken Pox comes years later when you are subject to Shingles.  Shingles is caused by reactivation of CP virus which attacks nerve groups causing painful rash that often leads to permanent nerve damage.  If you have had CP, make sure you get the Shingles vaccine.  Hopefully, Covid doesn’t have a similar complication years later.

On 6/13/2020 at 8:17 AM, GreenspointTexas said:

Wut? They were one of only a few schools who werent testing everyone

they only wanted to test symptomatic people. They are fucking idiots. Howd that work out for them?

Its likely that their lack of not wanting to test everyone has caused the virus-web-of-spread to hundreds, if not thousands of others

Huh?

• Like 1

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29311945/ohio-state-football-players-parents-asked-sign-covid-19-risk-waiver

Smith said the waiver is intended more for educational purposes than it is for liability.

"That's why we call it a pledge," he said. "We don't look at that as a legal document. It's a Buckeye pledge. Allow us to help you so that if we face a situation, our trainers, our strength coaches, our coaches or any athletic administrator sees a student-athlete not wearing a mask or not social distancing, we can say, 'Hey, you made a commitment. You signed a pledge. Your parents signed a pledge. Your parents are a part of this.'"

🤪😂🤣

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29311945/ohio-state-football-players-parents-asked-sign-covid-19-risk-waiver

Smith said the waiver is intended more for educational purposes than it is for liability.

"That's why we call it a pledge," he said. "We don't look at that as a legal document. It's a Buckeye pledge. Allow us to help you so that if we face a situation, our trainers, our strength coaches, our coaches or any athletic administrator sees a student-athlete not wearing a mask or not social distancing, we can say, 'Hey, you made a commitment. You signed a pledge. Your parents signed a pledge. Your parents are a part of this.'"

🤪😂🤣

pledge.png

• Like 6
  • Haha 2