Solar Opposites - HULU (Rick&Morty as Aliens)

MillerEP

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

I'm having a hard time getting there - it's just making me pine for more R&M, but it has it's moments.  It's a very odd thing to be watching.

It has a R&M meets Bob’s Burgers vibe. 

We watched episode 1 when it dropped, ok to meh.

Episode 2 was ok, 3 getting better.

4 is better than the last. It’s growing into itself and we will be watching a couple more episodes tonight.

It has grown on my wife and I, we think we like the show.

Korvo’s voice is still Roiland doing a non-drunk version of Rick Sanchez. He needed to do the Seth Macfarland and change it up like he did Stan Smith.

It’s also funny to hear the kid from The Goldbergs, Clarence and the likes to playing a wild ass alien in this show.

Liking the wall story and the Pupae side story is amusing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think Solar Opposites has a problem. The substory, The Wall, is funnier and more compelling than the show. This would be like like Ryan and Kelly on The Office being more interesting than Jim and Pam. I would suggest Justin Roiland spend a nice long weekend with Dan Harmon to fix it. 

They actually used the wall subplot to sell it to Hulu.  And they know it's more popular.  And it was based on some iOS games - Fallout Shelter and Tiny Tower.

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/solar-opposites-season-2-wall-storyline/

• Hook 'Em 3

I'm going through and watching episodes I had skipped previously - I ignored the first season, then watched The Wall episodes, then watched the second when it came out, and am now playing catch up.

Anyways, my wife walked in just as the school principal ripped the panties off of the secretary/whoever and started eating her ass.

Wife:

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Season 3 dropped this week, and I just finished. As always, really funny. A couple cool detours and a nice twist. 

It’s a solid B version of Rick and Morty. 

Agreed 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm nearly caught up on this show, and it's a great comedy so far. Highly recommend to anyone that enjoys Adult Swim type humor. It's quirky, graphic and hilarious. Lots of familiar themes from R&Ms style are prevalent, but it still is different enough to feel like a brand new show.

I have enjoyed all the characters, I don't really understand the criticism about the Wall stuff being better than the rest of the show. Wall episodes are fantastic, but so is the rest of it. Terry is great, and I love watching him disappoint and fuck with Korvo all the time. The kids are alright, probably my least favorite of the regular cast, but they have some great moments. I wish they showed more of Yumulack shrinking people and putting them in the wall. The interactions that lead to him doing that are hilarious. 

The Pupa is a shameless Maggie Simpson knock off, but it's great. I love how sentient it is, but how it operates just like a baby. The episode where it's on a mission to get Puffs was fucking brilliant. 

Just a fair warning, "Korvo and Terry Steal a Bear" is by far the best episode. I had to rewatch it twice and pause many times to look at all the details in the scenery. There are tons of references and easter eggs in the backgrounds. Also, RIP Molly. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Lots of familiar themes from R&Ms style are prevalent, but it still is different enough to feel like a brand new show.

Yeah, the weird thing for me is that I really don't care about the voices, or at least Rick's.  It's different enough that I really never think about R&M when watching it.

I'm not sure why I find the Wall stuff so funny, but I do.  Maybe it's the batshit plots or the uses for real-world items.

• 3 months later...

Hulu Severs Ties With Justin Roiland, Co-Creator Of ‘Solar Opposites’ – Deadline

Less than one day after Adult Swim severed ties with Rick and Morty creator Justin Roiland, Hulu announced that it, too, will distance itself from the performer/producer who’s been accused of domestic violence.

Roiland is the co-creator/executive producer and voice cast member of Hulu’s animated series Solar Opposites as well as a performer on the streamer’s animated comedy Koala Man. 

“We have ended our association with Justin Roiland,” according to a statement from 20th Television Animation and Hulu Originals.

Solar Opposites and Koala Man are expected to continue without Roiland’s involvement.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/16/2023 at 9:48 AM, 'stache said:

Two episodes in and it’s firing on all cylinders. The voice isn’t even noticeable at this point. Did Roiland do the season and then Steven’s came in to re-record it all? 

This maybe an unpopular opinion, but I kind of prefer Stevens doing the voice, as I'm no longer hearing Rick as the family patriarch, and yeah, just a few episodes in and I don't care.

An animator who worked on the show (previous season but knows the current crew) said they had all of the lines recorded and animation finished, and Stevens came in and just re-recorded them, which is why a few things seem slightly off here and there (and why the audio seems slightly different from everybody else - different studio).

https://www.reddit.com/r/solaropposites/comments/15u15kg/re_the_voice_change/

Also, I burst out laughing when Jesse mentioned seeing Nancy Reagan giving blowjobs in VR.  That was a nice touch to the Reagan Library VR tour.

I've seen a few people raging about the voice change, but I've also seen a shitload who didn't care.

If they changed Rick's voice too much...I'd not be thrilled, but in this case, I think Korvo's voice is the one they could easily change.

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

All I know is I've laughed harder than I have in a long time while watching this season.

I was still chuckling a few minutes after I saw the bit with the Nancy Reagan blowjob joke, and my wife came in and I tried to explain the whole legend of Nancy's blowjobs, and yeah, that was something I should have kept to myself.

Edit: they are really going all in on building out major plotlines with The Wall residents and with the Silvercops.

Edited by atomheartbevo

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I was still chuckling a few minutes after I saw the bit with the Nancy Reagan blowjob joke, and my wife came in and I tried to explain the whole legend of Nancy's blowjobs, and yeah, that was something I should have kept to myself.

Edit: they are really going all in on building out major plotlines with The Wall residents and with the Silvercops.

Season 4 wall was awesome. Season 4 silvercops was meh 

• Hook 'Em 1