2020-2021 NCAA (maybe???) basketball season thread

Pancho

Talking with a Wichita friend yesterday and he’s astonished with the buyout. Doesn’t even know what to read into it... was the program just ready to remove a stain and paid him to leave with little evidence to conclude the investigation? Did the AD and school admin know so they are covering their ass by paying out and sacrificing Marshall? 

I think it’s pretty clear they didn’t feel they had him dead to rights on the legal front. 

Eight of the top 13 teams in college basketball will highlight a two-night slate of marquee games from the Champions Classic and Jimmy V Men's Classic at the start of December.

The State Farm Champions Classic is set for Dec. 1, featuring No. 9 Duke facing No. 13 Michigan State and No. 10 Kentucky playing No. 6 Kansas. The Blue Devils will host the Spartans, while Kentucky and Kansas will play at Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis.

The Jimmy V Men's Classic will take place on Dec. 2, with No. 12 Tennessee going against No. 1 Gonzaga and No. 2 Baylor playing No. 8 Illinois. Both games will be played at Bankers Life.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/30342714/eight-top-hoops-teams-play-two-nights

14 hours ago, Jhawk said:

Talking with a Wichita friend yesterday and he’s astonished with the buyout. Doesn’t even know what to read into it... was the program just ready to remove a stain and paid him to leave with little evidence to conclude the investigation? Did the AD and school admin know so they are covering their ass by paying out and sacrificing Marshall? 

I think it’s pretty clear they didn’t feel they had him dead to rights on the legal front. 

I'd say he had all the leverage it appears yes.  It became a story and they had to do something.  President hired then resigned.  Trumps daughter visit got canceled.  My guess is Koch put in .02 as well.  School PR has a bad look about now.

Yeah with Covid ramping up like a mofo, I'm not real optimistic that you can have teams flying all over the country for 2-3 games a week. At this point, I'm just hopeful that conference schedules are relatively stable and we can have a tourney in Indy. All it takes is a couple of players to wreck a team for a couple of weeks. 

Why in the world is CBB not delaying this thing 1-2 months?  There’s been so many unknowns with this virus but one of the few constants has been that it was going to flare up come late fall and early winter.  

This, coupled with a potential vaccine on the near horizon and it makes all the sense in the world to push back the start to avoid the ‘bad’ season and reap the rewards on the back-end come late spring/early summer.  So March Madness becomes May Madness, who cares?

I just don’t get it.  

11 hours ago, Chet Steadman said:

Why in the world is CBB not delaying this thing 1-2 months?  There’s been so many unknowns with this virus but one of the few constants has been that it was going to flare up come late fall and early winter.  

This, coupled with a potential vaccine on the near horizon and it makes all the sense in the world to push back the start to avoid the ‘bad’ season and reap the rewards on the back-end come late spring/early summer.  So March Madness becomes May Madness, who cares?

I just don’t get it.  

It would probably be best to do away with pre-conf games and just do a bubble for the conf games for each conf. 

It's a mess, predictably, but it's basically the same as what CFB has gone through, with the added burden of being indoors. Every single sport has had COVID issues at the re-start, from the women's pro soccer league to even the vaunted NBA having to hold players out in the bubble for a while. It's harder with college kids for obvious reasons.

I would argue having the messy re-start, where a bunch of meaningless non-conference games don't get played, will actually help teams get into a routine of living safely in time for conference season. If they just punted until January, then all these cases would start popping up in January.

19 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

jesus the Zags look good. i know it's November, but i'm looking at a team that should legit be disappointed if they aren't playing for/winning the national title. 

Two Zags scratched a couple minutes before their game against Auburn tipped off at 11 due to contact tracing.

Still a lot of game to play, but Michigan is down against Oakland (0-3) early in second half as 30 pt favorites. Oakland lost by 52 last week to Xavier. Lulz, Michigan fans have it worse than we do.

Edit - Heading to OT. 

Edited by Blotto