2020-2021 NCAA (maybe???) basketball season thread

Pancho

16 hours ago, TXSG8R said:

Just saw this.  So armchair doctoring, would the medically induced coma and language like "following simple commands" lean more some kind of stroke or would some potential heart issue be treated in a similar way?  

The way he instantly collapsed without any warning signs seems like his heart stopped. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

The way he instantly collapsed without any warning signs seems like his heart stopped. 

Can the heart stop momentarily and cause something like this? The reason I ask is because when they carted him off I didn’t see anyone doing any kind of CPR, I think he laid on the court for a couple of minutes before the carted him. Something else I read initially was that when he hit the ground his eyes were open, which is what spooked the hell out of the players. This is all scary as fuck, it’s hard to believe with today’s medical tech a heart condition could still slip through the cracks. 

On 12/21/2020 at 3:25 PM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Things are going swell. 

i'm all about accountability, but damn son. harsh barley to do it so publicly. oh well. sounds like the kid needs to grow up. still, i wonder if this would have happened publicly if everything about the kid was the same, but UK was 5-1.

Duke’s women are done. Strong start for the new coach. 

The Duke women's basketball team has ended its season amid the coronavirus pandemic, a person familiar with the situation told The Associated Press. The men's team planned to keep playing.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity Friday because the school has not publicly announced the decision.

The Duke women's basketball team has been on pause since Dec. 16 because of two positive COVID-19 tests and contact tracing within the program's travel party. The Blue Devils (3-1) postponed games against Miami, N.C. State and UNC Wilmington. The team's next scheduled contest was against Louisville on Thursday.

The Blue Devils are the first Power Five school to have started this season and will not finish it because of the virus. The Ivy League opted out of playing winter sports in November before the basketball season started. A few other schools also decided not to play this year.

New coach Kara Lawson, who was hired in July, had said this month: "I don't think we should be playing right now. That's my opinion on it." That came a day after Duke men's coach Mike Krzyzewski questioned why college basketball was being played in the midst of the pandemic.

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

I think K will use the women decision to end his season. He’s going to try and push his influence on the entire ncaa to see just how powerful he is. I’m preparing for the season or at least the tourney to be cancelled once he flexes. 

Just on the prospects of losing 2 years of revenue alone there's no way the NCAA does that. Come hell or high water they're finishing this season. Coach K be damned.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

If WBB was more talked about, there would be people pointing out the Duke women were not ranked and had just lost by 25 to Louisville in their ACC opener. Would they have pulled the plug if they had their usual top 10-15 squad?

The school statement indicates this was a players' decision, although they have had no known positive tests among players (it was two staff members that caused them to shut down last week). I'm curious to read follow up on this if it ever gets written.

OK now the SMU women's team has decided to cancel their season. You know, the squad that's 0-6 and tried hard to get their coach fired last year for being blatantly abusive? (But we did love Travis in the BMW days)

Sorry, but when I see women's teams having player votes to cancel that tells me they don't see any upside in getting screamed at by shitty coaches while having to quarantine for four months. Men's teams have TV exposure and so many players who think they can get pro deals so they stick it out.

I mainly think college athletes REALLY want to play their sports, and most know it's safer to follow the protocols within the team structure. We haven't read about COVID outbreaks stemming from games themselves, though it is more likely than football. It's worth watching whether more women's teams have player votes to shut down as we move forward.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/25/2020 at 2:54 PM, Underdog said:

How good is Wisconsin?  Destroyed UL last week and won on the road @ Sparty today.  

On 12/26/2020 at 6:31 PM, Underdog said:

I see where Houston/Sampson have another solid team. 

LOL...  both have lost since making these posts.  

• Haha 1

I know it doesn't matter as IIRC it's not used for anything important anymore but... WTF is wrong with Sagarin's computer rankings? After yesterday's games, Texas is 13th.  Not to pick a fight with Derka or anything but compare the below and tell me what kind of formula comes up with this.

Texas 13th  8-1 Loss to #6 team SOS 42nd 4-1 v. Top 50 teams

Tennessee 5th  7-1 Loss to #30 team SOS 148th 2-1 v. Top 50 teams

I don't understand.

Edit: Virginia is 8th  5-2  Loss to #86  SOS 131st  0-1 v. Top 50.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn