homemade hot sauce/pepper sauce

Kyrie Eleison

sitting up at the office with not shit to do but answer phones and surf, i came across this website.  some of them look damn intriguing and i've been wanting to up my pepper sauce game, and was wondering whether any of you have tried his recipes.

https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/chili-pepper-recipes/hot-sauces/

if you all have other resources or some home recipes of your own, would love to see them, too.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

sitting up at the office with not shit to do but answer phones and surf, i came across this website.  some of them look damn intriguing and i've been wanting to up my pepper sauce game, and was wondering whether any of you have tried his recipes.

https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/chili-pepper-recipes/hot-sauces/

if you all have other resources or some home recipes of your own, would love to see them, too.

wow.  i have a new (set of) project(s).  thanks for posting link.

Here’s my recipe I finally put on paper for friends. It’s pretty easy is is really good. My daughter who’s 13 makes this for us nearly every Sunday to eat for the week. We use 1.5 cups of this over skinless thighs in a crockpot or stove and we call it World’s Best Chicken. An easy fast meal that everyone who’s tried it loves. You can up the heat by adding more serranos and or seeds. Serranos are great because they add a heat that doesn’t linger. This will mellow as it sits overnight. Roasting garden grown tomatoes takes this to the next level. You don’t need to add water if roasting fresh tomatoes. I roast those and remove the skin too. Note: Hunts label no longer looks like that.  One last thing - i only use the immersion blender now at the end, after I add the cilantro (at the very end).  This way i can help chop the cilantro more and can leave the salsa chunkier if I want.

fd9dd6fe8ac4593eadf784f3240d05ae.jpg

Edited by dlatin
  • Like 2

I make one based off of the Jamaican episode of Bizarre Foods. Scotch Bonnets and Serranos with sliced onions. I make it in a pint rum bottle and give it to friends. You drink 3/4's of the rum, then add sugar, allspice, cloves, and garlic. I boil white vinegar and fill it to the top after adding the other ingredients to the bottle. You shake it up to dissolve the sugar, then, let it sit for a few weeks. Sweet, hot as fuck, and has a numbing effect. Great flavor, and pretty in the bottle for about a month. Makes for killer beans and cornbread.

CHIEF

• Like 2

I love garlic - I always did them last, after the peppers, and I’d always forget while processing all the peppers. I would burn them more often than not. After a couple years I just cut them out.

Feel free to add them back.

• 1 year later...

Necro-bumping this. My Serrano, chipotle, jalapeño, and shishito peppers are still going strong. Been letting them ripen to red and making dona-style hot sauce out of them. Pulled some green ones that were just starting to turn red in this last batch. Boil them up with a few cloves of garlic, throw them in a blender with salt, vegetable oil, lime juice and a splash of vinegar to preserve it. Super easy. Super delicious on just about everything.
27dcab8c4be12dd9c32756405afa7156.jpg
e435a8f672751b2c317f85ca6dee7756.jpg

Edited by irishtexan
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Drool 1

My Dad used to make his own pepper sauce with chile pequin and vinegar. He used old Michelob bottles because they had screw on caps (which was rare bitd) and kept them in the door of his beer fridge.  One day my Dad's cousin comes over and makes a bee line to the beer fridge. He reached in, grabbed one of the Michelob bottles, twisted the cap and took a big swig. I mean a he's going to chug that beer swig. It took a second for things to connect in his brain before he spewed pepper sauce all over the room. Good times.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, RPM said:

My Dad used to make his own pepper sauce with chile pequin and vinegar. He used old Michelob bottles because they had screw on caps (which was rare bitd) and kept them in the door of his beer fridge.  One day my Dad's cousin comes over and makes a bee line to the beer fridge. He reached in, grabbed one of the Michelob bottles, twisted the cap and took a big swig. I mean a he's going to chug that beer swig. It took a second for things to connect in his brain before he spewed pepper sauce all over the room. Good times.

I just got a pequin plant and was waiting for the peppers to ripen before I made a vinegar sauce. Looking forward to it. 

• 2 weeks later...

This is an extremely simple vinegar hot sauce for things like winter greens or black eyed peas.

You can use whatever pepper you like. This is a mix of serrano, jalapenos, hungarian hot and banana peps. I sliced 'em, crammed as many as possible into each jar, brought some white vinegar to a boil and then poured it into the jar. Allow it to cool for 12 hours, then flip the jar to make sure the vinegar gets inside each pepper.

20211011_075226.jpg

On 9/29/2021 at 2:30 AM, RPM said:

My favorite homemade vinegar sauce by a wide margin.  I'll also dry out my pequins.  They'll usually last 3-4 months like that.  

I've always struggled making pickled jalapenos.  I go through about a jar every two weeks of La Costeña nacho slices.  But, every time I try to pickle my own, they end up mushy.  I need to figure out a good recipe for making my own.  Anyone have suggestions?

• 1 year later...

Necro-bumping this thread. 

I watched a video on fermenting chilis and making homemade table sauce. I did a batch of red jalapenos and habaneros last week (but didn't document). This week I did a batch of green sauce with jalapenos, serranos, anaheim, tomatillos, and garlic.

First your ferment the chilis, garlic and tomatillos. I did a basic salt-water brine of four tablespoons of pickling salt per half-gallon of water. Cut up the peppers into small pieces, half the tomatillos, and throw in the garlic whole. In this case, after about 4 days of brining the peppers soften up so I added more tomatillos to the brine on day 4. If you don't have a fermenting jar, you have to burp it every day to release the CO2. When you burp the jar it's carbonated, and you can see all of the CO2 bubbles rushing to the surface. You also need to put a weight at the top to make sure all of the vegetables are submerged in the brine. I also did a jar of pickled red onions, but I did that separate because I didn't want to use a whole onion in this sauce, and also wanted to have some on hand for tacos and to garnish other shit.

brine.jpg.97940df8514e454f9d63165291834936.jpg

Let that shit sit in the pantry out of the sunlight for a week. Drain it but reserve some of the brine. Then blend it with the brine and a little white vinegar. I used a cup and a half of the brine and half a cup of white vinegar for this batch. I added a handful of cilantro and juiced three limes.

strained.jpg.6789459411cac77200f98784e1d0b00d.jpg

You can blend it and jar it and throw it right in the fridge at that point, which will slow down the fermentation, but won't stop it so you have to continue to burp the jars. Otherwise you can simmer it over low heat for a few minutes to stop the fermentation, which I did in this case.

simmer.jpg.09014a0582ca0ded38f78d545f923c3d.jpg

After blending and simmering, you can either jar it for a chunkier sauce, or you can strain it through a sieve.

strained2.jpg.eb369eb7243569462080bbb8aebfc5b4.jpg

If you want you can save the solids and dehydrate them to make chili flake or a chili crisp that's sorta like dehydrated sea weed. I just threw them away because that sounds like a pain in the ass. I made a big batch so I made one jar of unstrained, and then strained the rest to make almost two jars of a green table sauce.

jarred.jpg.3018be29b70bb05606981725e101f97a.jpg

Walla! Now you've got a shit ton of super spicy and delicious hot sauce. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

A few other thoughts. I think I prefer the previous version I made with red japs and habaneros. The brine really brings out the sugars in the peppers without sacrificing any of the heat and it's got a very dynamic flavor. The green is great, but the red was better. Plus the combo of red jalapenos, which are not super spicy, with the intense sweet/heat of the habaneros gives you a lot of flexibility to control how hot/sweet you want the sauce to be. I like a hint of the sweetness and the heat from the habaneros but have the red japs be the base flavor profile. The green has a pretty intense kick. I forgot to mention I ended up adding a few tablespoons of simple syrup on the last blend to sweeten up the green sauce a bit and try to dull some of the intensity of the spice.  

I think next time instead of throwing the garlic in with the brine I'm going to make a garlic confit and throw that into the blender. 

Also, I need to get some hot sauce bottles off of Amazon.

The strained jars will stay good in the fridge for a year, and I think the unstrained one will be good for like 6 months. 

• Hook 'Em 1