Give me your top 10 NBA players of all time

Goo Punch

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Oh, give it a fucking rest. We get it; you don't like Derka. Nothing he's posted so far has had the slightest tinge of "I'm right, everyone else is wrong." You're just doing your usual following him around like a stalker bit.

Lighten up, Francis....fucking aggies 

• Fuck You 1

There is also something to be said for Duncan never missing the playoffs.  He played 19 years and his teams went to playoffs 19 times.  Kobe missed the playoffs 5 times and refused to take pay cuts down the stretch of his career to help the Lakers remain contenders.  Tim Duncan averaged a little over $8 million per year over the last 5 years of his contract so that others could be paid.  Now, that may not make him a better "player" on the court, but it makes him a better leader and a better teammate.  He wanted to win more than anything else and sacrificed his body and some money to accomplish that.

• Like 3

I never really know how to rank guys I haven't seen play, so below are the top 10 guys I've seen play in their prime or very close to their prime (born in 87, so my real NBA memories begin with post-baseball Jordan). 1-5 were pretty easy I think. 

1. MJ

2. LeBron

3. Duncan

4. Kobe

5. Shaq

6. Dirk

7. Durant

8. Curry

9. Wade (gross)

10. Kawhi

I struggled with 9 and 10 (Pippen, KG, Nash, Harden, Malone, Stockton, etc.) 

Haven't caught up on the whole thread, but I would never have Kobe over Bird. Ever. And I really like Kobe.

Put Bird on any team where Kobe won the title and they still win the title. Plus they probably would have won another couple.

Kobe was a killer but also a selfish prima donna. He loses points for wanting to be "the man" and forcing the trade of Shaq in his prime. He also was responsible for some pretty bad Lakers teams before the Pau years. Put Bird on those teams and even the scrub players get better.

People forget that for a good while nobody wanted to play with Kobe. He also only won 1 MVP.

Honestly if I'm picking teams and can have a prime Kobe or Kawhi, it is a hard decision. Kobe definitely has a better career resume, but a healthy Kawhi is just so freaking disruptive on the defensive end, and is just as clutch.

• Like 2

I don't usually care for Stephen A. Smith's takes unless they support my opinion.

“I have to say Tim Duncan, with all due respect to my man Kobe Bryant,” said Smith. “When you consider the model of consistency that Tim Duncan was able to put forth — David Robinson has a title because of Tim Duncan. Tim Duncan is a five-time champion, as that chart just showed, just as many titles as Kobe Bryant, more NBA Finals MVPs. You’ve got to take that into consideration the fact that he is universally recognized as the greatest power forward to have ever played the game, a 10-time All-Defensive First Team player.”

https://clutchpoints.com/nba-video-stephen-a-smith-claims-tim-duncan-had-a-better-career-than-kobe-bryant/

6 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I never really know how to rank guys I haven't seen play, so below are the top 10 guys I've seen play in their prime or very close to their prime (born in 87, so my real NBA memories begin with post-baseball Jordan). 1-5 were pretty easy I think. 

1. MJ

2. LeBron

3. Duncan

4. Kobe

5. Shaq

6. Dirk

7. Durant

8. Curry

9. Wade (gross)

10. Kawhi

KD vs. Dirk is a tough debate imo. You can probably throw Curry in there too. And I think KG is on that same level. What about Barkley, Hakeem, Drob and Westbrook? And is it too early to consider Giannis or Davis? 

Anyways, I like that you used a cutoff. Makes the comparisons a bit easier. 

35 minutes ago, ztejas said:

KD vs. Dirk is a tough debate imo. You can probably throw Curry in there too. And I think KG is on that same level. What about Barkley, Hakeem, Drob and Westbrook? And is it too early to consider Giannis or Davis? 

Anyways, I like that you used a cutoff. Makes the comparisons a bit easier. 

No real objections to ranking KD over Dirk from me. I think I gave Dirk a slight edge just because his 2011 championship was impressive to me. That said, I think KD has a higher peak and without a doubt surpasses Dirk before he retires. 

Barkley and Hakeem were past their primes when I really started watching, which is why I didn't mention them. Maybe I should reconsider just so I can get Wade off my list.  

1 minute ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

No real objections to ranking KD over Dirk from me. I think I gave Dirk a slight edge just because his 2011 championship was impressive to me. That said, I think KD has a higher peak and without a doubt surpasses Dirk before he retires. 

Barkley and Hakeem were past their primes when I really started watching, which is why I didn't mention them. Maybe I should reconsider just so I can get Wade off my list.  

If you had Wade over Hakeem, you should definitely reconsider.  Like, immediately.

10 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Dirk won at a very high level as the clear-cut best player on his team for a long time. But so did KD. Statistically KD is pretty much a tier up (actually, just in the regular season. They're pretty neck and neck in the playoffs - except Durant has considerably more wins through 12 years). He's also a better defender. But like you said, Dirk's 2011 run was pretty special. Durant hasn't carried a team like that to a championship (even though he obliterated the Cavs twice in the Finals).

Edited by ztejas

6 hours ago, HookEm said:

but a healthy Kawhi is just so freaking disruptive on the defensive end, and is just as clutch.

Kobe really wasn't that clutch. His FG% on game winners and shots in the clutch pales to some other prime scorers. I would take Kawhi or Durant in a heartbeat over Kobe with the game on the line - but I think Kobe made his teammates better in a way that Kawhi never has, and I think his intensity on both ends was more consistent than Durant. 

9 hours ago, HookEm said:

Haven't caught up on the whole thread, but I would never have Kobe over Bird. Ever. And I really like Kobe.

Put Bird on any team where Kobe won the title and they still win the title. Plus they probably would have won another couple.

Kobe was a killer but also a selfish prima donna. He loses points for wanting to be "the man" and forcing the trade of Shaq in his prime. He also was responsible for some pretty bad Lakers teams before the Pau years. Put Bird on those teams and even the scrub players get better.

People forget that for a good while nobody wanted to play with Kobe. He also only won 1 MVP.

Honestly if I'm picking teams and can have a prime Kobe or Kawhi, it is a hard decision. Kobe definitely has a better career resume, but a healthy Kawhi is just so freaking disruptive on the defensive end, and is just as clutch.

what kind of moron would put Kobe ahead of Bird? ever? like, for any reason? sounds like a real water head to me. 

10 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

1. MJ

2. LeBron

3. Duncan

4. Kobe

5. Shaq

6. Dirk

7. Durant

8. Curry

9. Wade (gross)

10. Kawhi

Wade and Dirk will never, ever, ever, ever be better than Dream.

Not trying to pile on Derka because outside of the Duncan omission it was a solid list...I was never a Duncan / Pop fan.  But I respect the hell out of both of them and actually really started to like both the last several years after their run was clearly over.  Just because Duncan wasn't flashy doesn't mean he isn't top 10.  Absolute slam dunk for me.  

• Like 1

Y'all are all sleeping on the Doctor.  Duncan is definitely a top 10 player.

Take Russell, Kobe, and Oscar out. Put in Dr J, Duncan, and Shaq.

Russell was great but he played on an all star team. Bill Cartwright would have wrecked him if both were in their prime at the same time.

Kobe is overrated.  His ball hogging often cost them more than it helped. His best skill was forcing himself onto the Lakers and then also forcing them to stack up other talent. 

Duncan is a top 5 big man of all time.  So what if he isn't flashy. Dr. J invented the modern small forward and shooting guard really. Shaq was simply an unstoppable beast. Even when he got more "talented", he still wasnt all that talented, but he was still top 10 all time unstoppable.  Still, Hakeem, Wilt, and Kareem were all better individual players than Duncan and Shaq so I suppose they are easy to overlook.

Oscar deserves to be in, but I would have him at 11. Its a toss up between him and Dr J actually. 

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I just like that Karl Malone is never on any of these lists.

The 2008 US Army American game was held at the Alamodome. I got tickets for myself and a buddy who lived in SA because A)it was close to home, and B)Alex Okafor was playing in the game and representing Pflugerville. We got some pretty good seats- 45 yard line, maybe 4th or 5th row. We showed up early, and were already in our seats when some truly giant human beings came and sat down in front of us. Me to my buddy:

Me: "Uh, is that Karl Malone?"

Buddy: "No, it's another 6'10", 250 lb black dude in a Carhartt hat."

Me: "Ok, dick."

Sure enough, Karl Malone was right in front of us with his wife and some of his kids who he actually claimed. Still, there was a tall/athletic white guy and his family sitting next to The Mailman, and my buddy and I recognized him as well. It took us a second, but we eventually figured out who it was- Easy Ed McCaffery. His son (some kid named Christian) and Malone's kid were on the same Pop Warner team and were playing in some sort of PW all star game at half time. It's actually one of my cooler memories- watching Christian McCaffery play in 4th grade and then drafting his ass on my way to a fantasy title. HOWEVER-that is not the point here. Here is the crux of the matter:

Maybe 10 minutes before half time of the AA Game some guy from NBC came and grabbed KM and asked him to come down to the sidelines for an interview. KM obliged. When the interview started they aired it on the big screen in SA, and during *the entire interview* Malone was booed so loudly by the crowd in SA that you couldn't even hear him. It was hilarious. And with his wife and kids sitting literally inches/feet away from me/my buddy, it was crystal clear that the entire family was 100% used to this. They were unfazed. This was old hat to them. That in and of itself made the entire trip worth it. We, as Americans, can have some serious fundamental disagreements, but one thing that everyone in this country outside of Utah can agree on is this: FUCK KARL MALONE! Seriously, one of the funniest encounters of my lifetime. Shouts out to eberyone in the Alamodome that day for booing the living Christ out of Karl Malone for his entire interview. Truly hilarious and something i'll never forget.

edit: I have photos of this somewhere. i'll try and find them and post them. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Also, Jordan is the easy and probably accurate pick at 1, but Magic Johnson has a good argument for greatest basketball player of all time.  Better than Lebron's and certainly better than Kareem's. 

If Magic never caught HIV then the argument between him and MJ would be razor thin imo. Probably the two most talented players ever. 

23 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Magic Johnson has a good argument for greatest basketball player of all time. 

I probably don't have anything against you but I'm giving a rare neg here. 

29 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Still, Hakeem, Wilt, and Kareem were all better individual players than Duncan and Shaq so I suppose they are easy to overlook.

Highly debatable. 

And on top of that, no one in their right mind would put Julius Erving in the top 10. He's like a poor man's Dirk or KD. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

19 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

If Magic never caught HIV then the argument between him and MJ would be razor thin imo. Probably the two most talented players ever. 

Even with HIV happening, its a razor thin argument. If only King of the Court would have actually happened. 

But you are probably right. The 91 Finals play a big role in people automatically putting Jordan over Magic.  Magic needed another run or two. 

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I probably don't have anything against you but I'm giving a rare neg here. 

Highly debatable. 

And on top of that, no one in their right mind would put Julius Erving in the top 10. He's like a poor man's Dirk or KD. 

People like to get bitchy when protecting MJ's throne. I get it.  No discussion allowed.

And like I said, Dr J was ahead of his time. He invented the SF position that KD and Dirk played later.  Who is the best light bulb inventor?  Edison or the 2017 Phillips LED light bulb department?

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Fuck You 1

11 hours ago, HookEm said:

Prime Kawhi is the better player....  Probably won't have the lasting power to have the career accolades though.

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

Kobe really wasn't that clutch. His FG% on game winners and shots in the clutch pales to some other prime scorers. I would take Kawhi or Durant in a heartbeat over Kobe with the game on the line - but I think Kobe made his teammates better in a way that Kawhi never has, and I think his intensity on both ends was more consistent than Durant. 

I'd take both in their prime over Kobe and Kobe was great, but also had a ton of issues as a teammate.  Bailed out by West a couple of times.

36 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Also, Jordan is the easy and probably accurate pick at 1, but Magic Johnson has a good argument for greatest basketball player of all time.  Better than Lebron's and certainly better than Kareem's. 

Magic is one of my top 3 players of all-time, but "certainly better" than Kareem.  That's some whack shit.  Kareem is probably the greatest player ever to play if you judge by all levels.  One of, if not the, greatest HS player.  Greatest college player.  And at least probably top 5 (by most experts) as a pro.

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Sure enough, Karl Malone was right in front of us with his wife and some of his kids who he actually claimed.

I wonder if social media would even let him play if he was in his prime today. Not sure any organization would take the heat of signing him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

I wonder if social media would even let him play if he was in his prime today. Not sure any organization would take the heat of signing him.

Of course he would play. People who do worse things than he has done play with little backlash. 

If anything, his playing style would get him dumped from the current league before his off the court behavior did. His patented kick shot would be an offensive foul every time, and his elbows would get him ejected from most games. 

• Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

This right here ^^^. He was a quiet, deadly, assassin.  He always excelled, and would have regardless of the system around him.  His body of work makes him top 10.

Fans don't like when players use the glass and play the sport like a technician.  He wasn't all that quiet though. He balled. He just didn't posterize much. 

• Fuck You 1

22 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

People like to get bitchy when protecting MJ's throne. I get it.  No discussion allowed.

And like I said, Dr J was ahead of his time. He invented the SF position that KD and Dirk played later.  Who is the best light bulb inventor?  Edison or the 2017 Phillips LED light bulb department?

There is zero argument for Magic over MJ and probably LeBron and Kareem as well. Magic was never an elite defender. The other 3 were for the majority of their careers, and were all basically just as good on offense.

As for your second line, Dirk never played SF. Maybe Dr. J influenced KD as a player, but I'm like 99% confident in saying that Durant is the better player. Dr. J played a lot of his career in a watered down ABA - and never really achieved true superstar status in the NBA after that. Dr. J's title with Philly was on the back of peak Moses Malone (probably one of the best 15-20 players ever) peak Mo Cheeks, and a fantastic playoffs from Andrew Toney who outscored Dr. J that year in the playoffs and on better efficiency. 

Also you haven't even given your list @FondrenRoad. Nut up first. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Of course he would play. People who do worse things than he has done play with little backlash. 

In the NBA, in 2020? Who? The league is full of (seemingly) good guys, and they love to let you know it. Ultimately, your probably right that talent wins out, but there would be backlash.

10 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

In the NBA, in 2020? Who? The league is full of (seemingly) good guys, and they love to let you know it. Ultimately, your probably right that talent wins out, but there would be backlash.

List I could come up with is mostly made up of guys who are a stretch:

JKidd: not a player, but domestic abuse and a mega DUI on his record

Darren Collison: not playing, but was pursued this year: domestic abuse

Morris twins: acquitted, but charged with beating up some guy

I'm guessing there's got to be one pretty obvious guy somewhere in the league, but I'm' drawing a blank

9 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Off the top of my head, Paul George is a deadbeat who fought paternity, but there are probably more.  Porzingis faced a Kobe style rape accusation last year too.  Domestic violence pops up with a variety of players. 

I doubt anyone spread as much seed as Malone. 

The more I think about it, you probably have it backwards. In today's social media environment, Malone's transgressions would be a one day tweetstorm replaced by someone else's transgressions the next day and buried among everything else going on in the world. 

The only dealbreakers now are rape and domestic violence, but even those aren't truly dealbreakers.  Nobody cares about deadbeat dads now or then.  

• Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, FondrenRoad said:

Off the top of my head, Paul George is a deadbeat who fought paternity, but there are probably more.  Porzingis faced a Kobe style rape accusation last year too.  Domestic violence pops up with a variety of players. 

The more I think about it, you probably have it backwards. In today's social media environment, Malone's transgressions would be a one day tweetstorm replaced by someone else's transgressions the next day and buried among everything else going on in the world. 

The only dealbreakers now are rape and domestic violence, but even those aren't truly dealbreakers.  Nobody cares about deadbeat dads now or then.  

Bro this is a decent thread so far. Please for the love of God don't start bringing in political bullshit here.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

30 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

dude, Karl Malone would be *hated* in today's NBA. hated. i mean shit, he was already hated in his own day! he's *easily* the best player of all time who nobody likes. in today's game? he'd have trouble playing 70 games a year due to all of the suspensions. he'd be the most hated man in basketball. 

Edited by Goo Punch

14 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Bro this is a decent thread so far. Please for the love of God don't start bringing in political bullshit here.

Quit being a fucking bitch, bitch. Y'all brought up Karl Malone's transgressions 

Seriously, you negged because I suggested Magic could possibly be the greatest.  No politics at all.  I initially let that go with a simple retaliatory neg. But the truth is you're a fucking bitch ass pussy.

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Fuck You 2

4 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Quit being a fucking bitch, bitch. Y'all brought up Karl Malone's transgressions 

Seriously, you negged because I suggested Magic could possibly be the greatest.  No politics at all.  You're a fucking bitch ass pussy.

First of all it's not my fault you're a dumbass and make awful takes, second of all, it's not my fault that you go full CR in a lighthearted basketball discussion thread. Bringing up shit like paternity suits, rape accusations, domestic violence, and then further expressing your opinion on each. No one gives a fuck. Take it somewhere else. I'm not trying to talk about Malone having sex with underaged girls when the topic is top 10 players ever. Go to the CR for that shit. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, ztejas said:

First of all it's not my fault you're a dumbass and make awful takes, second of all, it's not my fault that you go full CR in a lighthearted basketball discussion thread. Bringing up shit like paternity suits, rape accusations, domestic violence, and then further expressing your opinion on each. No one gives a fuck. Take it somewhere else. I'm not trying to talk about Malone having sex with underaged girls when the topic is top 10 players ever. Go to the CR for that shit. 

Its your fault that youre a bitch ass pussy.  Or maybe your mom's. Too bad Karl Malone didn't get to her before your dad did.  And you obviously give a fuck because you negged me about Magic even before the Karl Malone discussion occurred. So quit pretending you don't care and quit being a snowflake. This is your misdirection, but I am happy to go down it with you. Or you could just stop being a bitch and not reply to the Karl Malone part of this thread if you don't like it. 

For the record. I didnt say a single fucking political thing in here. Aggie posed a hypothetical. Karl Malone couldnt play now because of his paternity issues.  I replied that shit still happens and nobody cares. That was the end of it until you decided to inject your dumb ass shit. So instead, we can just do this for 2 or 3 pages. Your choice. 

• Fuck You 2

6 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Aggie posed a hypothetical. Karl Malone couldnt play now because of his paternity issues.  I replied that shit still happens and nobody cares.

Well, specifically one paternity issue: impregnating a 13 year old girl when he was 20. Even in Louisiana, that's just straight up statutory rape (I think?). Along with being a dirty mother fucker on the court, hard to see him having a long, successful career.

But neither here nor there for the purposes of this thread. Just a personal musing that I should have kept personal.

5 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Well, specifically one paternity issue: impregnating a 13 year old girl when he was 20. Even in Louisiana, that's just straight up statutory rape (I think?). Along with being a dirty mother fucker on the court, hard to see him having a long, successful career.

But neither here nor there for the purposes of this thread. Just a personal musing that I should have kept personal.

fuck that noise. you aren't responsible for other people's reactions to what you post. the truth is that KM's personality and actions do matter. For example, if I had a baseball HOF vote I would never ever vote for Barry Bonds because he was an EPIC asshole during his career. Karl Malone's off-court happenings *are* relevant. Nobody wants to coronate a serial deadbeat dad and a rapist. Don't apologize or backtrack on bringing these things up during this discussion. it matters. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

All good. I still think the dirty mofo on the court would be his biggest problem now. NBA just doesn't tolerate that type of play anymore.  I think the NBA still doesn't care about off the court transgressions.  And frankly, that should have been the end of the discussion on it. None of it was out of place.

24 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Its your fault that youre a bitch ass pussy.  Or maybe your mom's. Too bad Karl Malone didn't get to her before your dad did.  And you obviously give a fuck because you negged me about Magic even before the Karl Malone discussion occurred. So quit pretending you don't care and quit being a snowflake. This is your misdirection, but I am happy to go down it with you. Or you could just stop being a bitch and not reply to the Karl Malone part of this thread if you don't like it. 

For the record. I didnt say a single fucking political thing in here. Aggie posed a hypothetical. Karl Malone couldnt play now because of his paternity issues.  I replied that shit still happens and nobody cares. That was the end of it until you decided to inject your dumb ass shit. So instead, we can just do this for 2 or 3 pages. Your choice. 

Don't worry man I'll just recapture it. 

This is the bullshit you brought into this thread when previously everyone was trying to keep the discussion towards hoops:

Paul George is a deadbeat who fought paternity, but there are probably more.  Porzingis faced a Kobe style rape accusation last year too.  Domestic violence pops up with a variety of players. 

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Don't worry man I'll just recapture it. 

This is the bullshit you brought into this thread when previously everyone was trying to keep the discussion towards hoops:

Paul George is a deadbeat who fought paternity, but there are probably more.  Porzingis faced a Kobe style rape accusation last year too.  Domestic violence pops up with a variety of players. 

Again, aggie brought up Karl.  You have a personal problem with me. Why don't we take it to another venue, so you can tell me what that problem actually is.  And you can quit spamming this board and I can quit replying to your spam.

6 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

fuck that noise. you aren't responsible for other people's reactions to what you post. the truth is that KM's personality and actions do matter. For example, if I had a baseball HOF vote I would never ever vote for Barry Bonds because he was an EPIC asshole during his career. Karl Malone's off-court happenings *are* relevant. Nobody wants to coronate a serial deadbeat dad and a rapist. Don't apologize or backtrack on bringing these things up during this discussion. it matters. 

Considering I wouldn't have the Mailman anywhere near my Top 10 even if I thought that he was a upstanding gentleman, I really just wanted to bring it up in a "Craig James Killed 5 Hookers" kind of way. Never forget.

• Like 1

Bro I'm not taking this anywhere else. You need to chill with the political, SJW shit on the sports boards and that's that. I'd like for this board to maintain some integrity throughout this crisis. So keep the partisan opinion issues to other boards right now.