Chili w/o beans

Dutch

Made a pot as well. Used a 3rd venison, 3rd elk, and a 3rd chili grind beef. I use the cin-chili method Snowdog posted years ago. Still can’t find a recipe that beats it so why change. All of my powders brought back from Albuquerque.

8F51C149-6865-45DC-9828-DDB59094FC17.jpeg

Edited by UnivTex34
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I always reserve some of the chile-steeping water and use some of that if/when the liquid runs low.  

I'll also add some chicken stock-- IMO beef stock on top of beef meat sometimes gets a little overpowering and muddles the flavor a bit.

And, you can always add beer. 

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1

The wife wanted chili last night.....but she's on a weight-loss kick, so she wanted lean turkey chili....with veggies.  Sigh.  I made it, and added a can of big diced tomatoes and a can of Ranch Style beans.

It was actually fine -- I added a bunch of jalapeno slices to mine, topped with shredded cheddar, and liberal splashes of Crystal.  Then, I ate it using Frito scoops instead of a spoon.  I enjoyed it.  But dear God.....the smells I've produced this morning.....thank goodness my home office has a door.

17 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

If I want to add more liquid could I use chicken or beef stock?  Any preference.  

14 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I always reserve some of the chile-steeping water and use some of that if/when the liquid runs low.  

I'll also add some chicken stock-- IMO beef stock on top of beef meat sometimes gets a little overpowering and muddles the flavor a bit.

And, you can always add beer. 

What he said.  Reserve seeping water>chicken stock>beef stock.

The wife wanted chili last night.....but she's on a weight-loss kick, so she wanted lean turkey chili....with veggies.  Sigh.  I made it, and added a can of big diced tomatoes and a can of Ranch Style beans.
It was actually fine -- I added a bunch of jalapeno slices to mine, topped with shredded cheddar, and liberal splashes of Crystal.  Then, I ate it using Frito scoops instead of a spoon.  I enjoyed it.  But dear God.....the smells I've produced this morning.....thank goodness my home office has a door.

Do you add tallow to your deer? I do not and would guess that it is 97-98% lean when it comes back from Green’s. Zero guilt in eating it. Now the cornbread and jalapeño Fritos scoops.....eh not so much

18 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

When we're doing super low carb/high veggie nutrition plan, which is typically JAN-MAR, I make a chili-like soup that's got low-fat proteins and a lot of low-glycemic veggies mixed in it.  Diced bell peppers, poblanos, zucchini.  It's tasty, but I definitely don't call it chili.  

On the stove. Color came out more orange than the last batch I made. Either from the cumin (I did toasted seeds this time - worried I burned them a bit but it should be fine) or from using Pasillas instead of Anchos (but I don't know why that would change the color). I think the meat texture is going to be perfect - I diced the roast and loin smaller this time and 1/3 of it is ground beef. I also had to take a pic of the Chuck roast because it was so pretty - I got grass fed for a $1 more and the color of the meat is markedly different.

20210212_133905.thumb.jpg.4c48b3e1e24131244b539bdb107b3c98.jpg20210212_121312.thumb.jpg.5d765bb97d131f6f4794a746fcca5b66.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

I'll be making some at some point during this 5 day ice-hellscape weekend. Got some chuck and some ground turkey. My experience with putting ground turkey in chili is that if I never told anyone, nobody would ever know. It's meat and it works the same. And beef is fucking expensive. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

I'll be making some at some point during this 5 day ice-hellscape weekend. Got some chuck and some ground turkey. My experience with putting ground turkey in chili is that if I never told anyone, nobody would ever know. It's meat and it works the same. And beef is fucking expensive. 

No qualms with that. The pot I did was a little over 3 pounds and I think the meat set me back ~$15. The guy at HEB charged me a dollar less than what the grass fed chuck was listed for - but it's still just $6.99/lb on the sticker. Ground chuck was $5/lb and the pork was a little less I think.

The God damn chiles are what can make it kind of pricey. Those Fiesta packets with the dried chiles are around 3 bucks each I think. 

Not that that's at all cost prohibitive - but it certainly isn't a cheap meal. 

18 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Yep, but fuck all that turkey bullshit. Running beef and venison. And righteous gas to keep the place heated. 

10 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

If I had venison, I'd use it. Come give me some. 

I just realized that I only have a few real chili peppers in the pantry and the thought of going to HEB tomorrow melts my brain. So the least of my concerns is some turkey vs. venison meat.  Looks like I'm breaking the chili powder back out.  

I also just realized that I've had like 5 dried up peppers on my windowsill from the garden this year. They were these rando peppers that grew from what were supposed to be jap plants. As the year went on they got hotter and hotter (someone told me it was probably because they were cross pollinating with my japs? I dunno).. anyways gonna grind those fuckers up and drop em in. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

im going to attempt some chili tomorrow. my chili just never comes out right. wish me luck 

Every one I make is a little different but each of them is delicious in its own special way. 

a few years ago I wrote my recipe down for my MIL and now it apparently gets cooked several times a year for Ragin Cajun tailgates. It’s to the point now where all of their family friends have adopted my recipe for big groups where chili is made. Non Texans go apeshit learning that you can use actual diced beef in chili and not just beans and 80/20 burger grind. 

My recipe is just a slight mod on a basic one I found online and using some surly/shaggy tips over the years but I may as well be Emeral every time I go to Lafayette. Nothing fancy but Cajuns don’t know shit about chili. 

Edited by Etexhorn13
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Every one I make is a little different but each of them is delicious in its own special way. 

a few years ago I wrote my recipe down for my MIL and now it apparently gets cooked several times a year for Ragin Cajun tailgates. It’s to the point now where all of their family friends have adopted my recipe for big groups where chili is made. Non Texans go apeshit learning that you can use actual diced beef in chili and not just beans and 80/20 burger grind. 

(My recipe is just a slight mod on a basic one I found online and using some surly/shaggy tips over the years but I may as well be Emeral every time I go to Lafayette 

I seriously use the exact same recipe every time and it turns out different every time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, NorthLoop said:

I seriously use the exact same recipe every time and it turns out different every time. 

Glad I’m not the only one... I’m pretty sure I made the perfect chili once and each time after I’m just chasing that. Whether it’s the jimmyjazz rehydrated pepper method or just doing It with powder. That’s not to say each one isn’t delicious, but fuck me I can’t recreate the same chili one to the next for the life of me 

1 hour ago, NorthLoop said:

I feel like when I was a young lad on shaggy making my first batch of chili, that you were one of the ones giving me advice. 

im going to refocus tomorrow. my last pot i went crazy with the garlic for some reason, threw out the whole pot

keep it simple tomorrow

6 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

im going to refocus tomorrow. my last pot i went crazy with the garlic for some reason, threw out the whole pot

keep it simple tomorrow

That must have been a lot of garlic. I know it’s possible to put too much garlic in a dish but it isn’t often that I get there. I figure one head of garlic to 2 lbs of meat in a one pot dish is a good ratio. About half that for 2 cups of rice in pilaf. If I’m working from a recipe, I always use more garlic than it calls for. 

I made a pot yesterday based on the 2nd SA chili queens recipe posted on page 1 of this thread with a few modifications

2 lb    beef chuck (cubed ~ 1/2")
1&1/3 lb ground beef
8        dried guajillo peppers
8        dried ancho peppers
3/4 t gebhart’s chili powder

3/4 t ancho chili powder
6      cloves garlic 
1        medium sweet onion 
1 t     Mexican oregano
2 T    cumin seeds
2 t     paprika
1 T    salt

1 t black pepper 
8 c    water
3 T    extra virgin olive oil

i added the chili powder after an hour or two of simmering because it needed more flavor.  It was very mild, which was perfect for my daughters.  My wife and I stirred in cayenne to taste to make ours spicy.

awesome recipe, it was probably the best pot I have ever made!

15 hours ago, ztejas said:

The God damn chiles are what can make it kind of pricey. Those Fiesta packets with the dried chiles are around 3 bucks each I think. 

Fiesta Mart and most Mexican grocery stores will have lots of bulk chiles for WAY less -- I like El Rancho Supermercado on 183 near Ohlen.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Druggist said:

I made a pot yesterday based on the 2nd SA chili queens recipe posted on page 1 of this thread with a few modifications

2 lb    beef chuck (cubed ~ 1/2")
1&1/3 lb ground beef
8        dried guajillo peppers
8        dried ancho peppers
3/4 t gebhart’s chili powder

3/4 t ancho chili powder
6      cloves garlic 
1        medium sweet onion 
1 t     Mexican oregano
2 T    cumin seeds
2 t     paprika
1 T    salt

1 t black pepper 
8 c    water
3 T    extra virgin olive oil

i added the chili powder after an hour or two of simmering because it needed more flavor.  It was very mild, which was perfect for my daughters.  My wife and I stirred in cayenne to taste to make ours spicy.

awesome recipe, it was probably the best pot I have ever made!

Yeah there's not really anything adding heat in that recipie. The one I just did was pretty hot - adding 6 chipotles, 5-6 chile de arbols to that mix plus floated a jap and serrano. (Also a hearty dash of cayenne) 

But I'm not cooking for childrens - which makes it easier.

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Fiesta Mart and most Mexican grocery stores will have lots of bulk chiles for WAY less -- I like El Rancho Supermercado on 183 near Ohlen.

Thanks. Could be worth making a run just to stock up. 

Edited by ztejas

We have a good chili recipe we have used for years but am finally gonna try to make some brisket chili tonight using leftover brisket flat that I had sealed and frozen.  What's the thought as to how fine/small to dice the brisket.  Assuming we will add in later in the simmering.

14 minutes ago, mdleast said:

We have a good chili recipe we have used for years but am finally gonna try to make some brisket chili tonight using leftover brisket flat that I had sealed and frozen.  What's the thought as to how fine/small to dice the brisket.  Assuming we will add in later in the simmering.

1/2" dice seems about right for my tastes.

I'm jealous.

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Every time I go to HEB when it is chili weather, they are sold out of at least one kind of pepper.  I swung by that exact El Rancho yesterday and they had huge bags of them.  

2 minutes ago, Druggist said:

Every time I go to HEB when it is chili weather, they are sold out of at least one kind of pepper.  I swung by that exact El Rancho yesterday and they had huge bags of them.  

They also have bulk bins down low near the floor, back right after you walk in the entrance.  I've seen ancho, pasilla, arbol, chipotle, guajillo and others there.

• Hook 'Em 1

Today is my birthday and with the weather and all, I didn’t want to go out anywhere to eat. Instead, I had my wife make Dart Bowl inspired cheese enchiladas. As we also still had leftover brisket chili we combined the two. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you:

brisket chili cheese enchiladas.

329a57ba5ac08be5ca46ebb6e7a1067c.jpg

Delicious. As a bonus, she also made me Juan in a Million style breakfast tacos.

10fdd04b94006b03064eeaf722ca4e19.jpg

I’m afraid to step on the scale tomorrow morning.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1