Chili w/o beans

Dutch

25 minutes ago, huge said:

Ok chile guys, I am making a pot tomorrow for a group and plan on using 6 lbs of meat.

Recommend me a chile mix and number plz.  Heat is a must.

Thanks in advance

6 lbs of meat is a lot and will require quite a few dried chile peppers to reconstitute.

Whatever number and blend you decide on, for that many peppers, I'd prep them by putting them on a large sheet pan in the oven for a few minutes at 250-300.  Just until you start to smell them.  You can also throw your dry spices on that sheet pan, like ground comino, and it'll bring out the oils and more flavor.  Normally I like to use a comal to toast the peppers, but for that many chile pods, the baking sheet in the oven is the way to go.

• Hook 'Em 2

53 minutes ago, huge said:

Ok chile guys, I am making a pot tomorrow for a group and plan on using 6 lbs of meat.

For my next 2-lb pot I'm doing:

2 ancho

5 guajillo

2 chipotle meco

That isn't going to be very hot, so I plan to start adding cayenne powder maybe an hour in until it gets to the right heat level.  After that I'll convert the weight of cayenne to an equal weight of dried chile de arbol for the following batch.  (Chile de arbol and cayenne are pretty interchangeable.)  I just don't want to destroy a batch by going overboard on the heat, and I've never used arbol peppers before.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

For my next 2-lb pot I'm doing:

2 ancho

5 guajillo

2 chipotle meco

That isn't going to be very hot, so I plan to start adding cayenne powder maybe an hour in until it gets to the right heat level.  After that I'll convert the weight of cayenne to an equal weight of dried chile de arbol for the following batch.  (Chile de arbol and cayenne are pretty interchangeable.)  I just don't want to destroy a batch by going overboard on the heat, and I've never used arbol peppers before.

I plan on using cayenne to kick it up.  Chile de Arbol is the heater?

11 minutes ago, huge said:

I plan on using cayenne to kick it up.  Chile de Arbol is the heater?

Yes, they are supposedly very similar in taste and heat scale.  Don't quote me on that.

(Obviously you should multiply my 2-lb pot chile quantities by 3 if that's the recipe you want to use, but I honestly have no idea how much cayenne or arbol it will take to get mine to "pretty hot", like Texas Chili Parlor XX.)

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yes, they are supposedly very similar in taste and heat scale.  Don't quote me on that.

(Obviously you should multiply my 2-lb pot chile quantities by 3 if that's the recipe you want to use, but I honestly have no idea how much cayenne or arbol it will take to get mine to "pretty hot", like Texas Chili Parlor XX.)

Arbols aren't super hot. They should give a plenty wide margin of error if you just start with a few. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I bought Arbol, Cascavel, Ancho and some canned chipotle in adobo.  I'm sure it will be awesome.

Also going with 2.5 lbs of chili grind, 2 lbs of cubed stew meat, one lb slice of beef shank with a huge section of bone and might add a lb of axis ground because why not.

4 hours ago, huge said:

Thanks in advance

For 6# of Meat, I use 6 fresh Serranos (diced).  Also, 8 dried Anchos, and 12 dried Guajillos.  Toast the dried peppers, then soak for 20-30 minutes.  The Serranos, Anchos, and Guajillos will go in the blender with either the soak-water, broth, beer, whatever.  

I'm also gonna use 6 White Onions, 12 Garlic cloves, 2 qts of Beef or Pork Stock, 2 Tb Cumin, and 4 Tb Mexican Oregano.  

If any of that helps...

7 minutes ago, After irth said:

For 6# of Meat, I use 6 fresh Serranos (diced).  Also, 8 dried Anchos, and 12 dried Guajillos.  Toast the dried peppers, then soak for 20-30 minutes.  The Serranos, Anchos, and Guajillos will go in the blender with either the soak-water, broth, beer, whatever.  

I'm also gonna use 6 White Onions, 12 Garlic cloves, 2 qts of Beef or Pork Stock, 2 Tb Cumin, and 4 Tb Mexican Oregano.  

If any of that helps...

Looks like I am light on onions.  The rest lines up.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Do we still like adding the cumin very late so it doesn't burn? Or is that a wives tale. 

I have no clue scientifically, but I feel it could absolutely be true, and is why in my two dump chili method I add more cumin in the last dump vs. the first because I want that cumin as up front as possible with all of the hard chili spices. Makes sense that the longer you cook it, the less fragrant it would be, as it would cook off a lot of the oils the longer it goes. Almost like hops in beer. The ones meant for the nose are put in toward the end of the boil, as the earlier ones have their oils cooked off,  lose their fragrance and then contribute what's left: bitterness. 

Edited by UncleBuck

Well, I think the chili cookoff folks go a little nuts with the multi-dump approach, but there is probably something to the idea of waiting a bit to add cumin.  

Me, I'm lazy, and I usually grind it from seed along with my black pepper . . . and add it up front.  I guess I could try waiting, there's no real good reason not to.

30 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, I think the chili cookoff folks go a little nuts with the multi-dump approach,

I used to always think this, and to an extent still think some of it might be unnecessary, but I will say that for my 3lb recipe, if I were to add both of my dumps in the final 30 minute cook as one, it'd be a completely different flavor (probably too strong) and texture (maybe too thick). And if I were to add both of my dumps during my first 45 minute cook as one, it probably wouldn't hit strong enough. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I would make two 3lb pots. One like this -3 jalapeños and 3 Serrano peppers, whole. When it’s all done, fish out the peppers and blend. Add back into the chili to the heat desired. I had never been able to nail down the heat until doing this 

Tom Cruise What GIF

7 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Can't screw up on the cumin.  I like more per pound of protein than most.  As much as 1 Tbsp per lb.

I mean, it's half the taste of chili.

How scalable do you find your seasoning amounts when determined per lb.  I know that you have done a lot of testing with this. Are there some ingredients that scale linearly and others that you find that you need to dial back for bigger batches.  I have been trending towards bigger batches lately, and just kinda winging things. Between the sampling and mouths to feed, 3# batches don't really seem to cut it and if you are putting in the time might as well have the leftovers and some in the freezer as well. Salt is my real nemesis right now. 

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

How scalable do you find your seasoning amounts when determined per lb.  I know that you have done a lot of testing with this. Are there some ingredients that scale linearly and others that you find that you need to dial back for bigger batches.  I have been trending towards bigger batches lately, and just kinda winging things. Between the sampling and mouths to feed, 3# batches don't really seem to cut it and if you are putting in the time might as well have the leftovers and some in the freezer as well. Salt is my real nemesis right now. 

I wish I had an answer.  I have no idea!  I rarely make more than a 2-lb batch.

Agreed on salt.  It is so vital.  I usually find that I need to add a bit more towards the end of the cook.  There comes a point where all the flavors pop, and if you don't get there, eh.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I find myself asking this same question for lots of recipes. I think in general, liquid in big pots (soup, stew, chili, etc) doesn't scale linearly, and if using powders, you have less liquid for it all to dissolve in, so maybe not there too. For chili slurries, no clue.  

• Hook 'Em 1

So I have been using the rehydrated method and have been very pleased with flavor.  (4 lbs of protein/ 8 Ancho/ 8 Guajillo/ 2 Chipotle) 

Everyone really enjoys it.  But there is no heat at all in my opinion.  Knowing that I still need to keep the heat index in check because the wife is as white as white girls get, what is my next step for heat?  

Add a jap to the blender when I do my peppers?  Teaspoon or two of cayenne during the cook?  Both? 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Mac8111 said:

But there is no heat at all in my opinion.  Knowing that I still need to keep the heat index in check because the wife is as white as white girls get, what is my next step for heat?  

Add a jap to the blender when I do my peppers?  Teaspoon or two of cayenne during the cook?  Both? 

Agree with jimmyjazz that 2tsp might be too much and that 1tsp might be a good place to start. Also can soak a few jalapenos. If that still isn't enough, squeeze off some jalapeno juice (watch your eyeballs if so. I use a disposable glove, like the black bbq style ones). Or you could maybe blend the jalapeno/s up with some sauce and mix it in?