Chili w/o beans

Dutch

27 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I am sorry, I thought that this was the chili thread bro. 

Classic Chili Queens:  no tomato

Classic Texas Red:  tomato optional

Any Texas chili: no beans

That said, I was mostly commenting on the pot o' meatballs in sauce shown in the photo.  Works fine with stainless steel.  I think I found one of my Xmas presents.

Edited by jimmyjazz

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Classic Chili Queens:  no tomato

Classic Texas Red:  tomato optional

Any Texas chili: no beans

That said, I was mostly commenting on the pot o' meatballs in sauce shown in the photo.  Works fine with stainless steel.  I think I found one of my Xmas presents.

Yeah, I was just fucking around. I'll throw in some diced tomato with no reservations at all. 

Wife took ill Wednesday so we didn’t go see the kids. Made a quick batch of fast chili. Came together in about 20 minutes. Baked some blueberry biscuits with some honey jalapeño butter.

My mix for this batch was ancho/ New Mexican red light/ guajillo/ chipotle. My pot is also cumin forward. 5db5f067a84a7abace62b3a59ebb4d1d.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Wife took ill Wednesday so we didn’t go see the kids. Made a quick batch of fast chili. Came together in about 20 minutes. Baked some blueberry biscuits with some honey jalapeño butter.

My mix for this batch was ancho/ New Mexican red light/ guajillo/ chipotle. My pot is also cumin forward. 5db5f067a84a7abace62b3a59ebb4d1d.jpg

Where are the biscuit pics?

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Gonna start a pot after lunch if my schedule cooperates. Thinking about doing it start to finish on the smoker. Anyone ever done that? Thoughts?

Other than the fact that it will take forever?  

Lid off might lead to some interesting flavors.  Could be a little much over 6 hours or some such.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

No it wouldn’t because my oven doesn’t burn mesquite pellets. I’m well aware of how to cook chili, my question was in regards to if anyone here had done it on the smoker and how well they did or didn’t enjoy the finished product

Well Screw You Too Kevin Hart GIF - Well Screw You Too Kevin Hart Cold As Balls GIFs

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

No it wouldn’t because my oven doesn’t burn mesquite pellets. I’m well aware of how to cook chili, my question was in regards to if anyone here had done it on the smoker and how well they did or didn’t enjoy the finished product

I think you're our pioneer here.  The big question will be how much smoke gets into the chili and is that too much?  I love leftover brisket or pork chili, but you're in new territory as far as I know.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I think you're our pioneer here.  The big question will be how much smoke gets into the chili and is that too much?  I love leftover brisket or pork chili, but you're in new territory as far as I know.

Brisket added late to the cook imparts just the right amount of smoke imo.  Would love to hear how a longer cook in smoke worked out, but my hunch is that it might be too much and a bit of a novelty. 

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

but my hunch is that it might be too much and a bit of a novelty. 

Your hunch was correct. Sounded like a great idea, but it didn’t really pan out. I didn’t taste much smoke at all. There were times that I thought oh wow there it is, but my wife and father in law did not validate it and I’m beginning to think it was just wishful thinking. Overall it didn’t hurt it at all, but definitely not worth the hassle it took to make it. I I’ll be going back to the stovetop from here on out.

E7029709-881D-4D85-AAEB-4A8F12A16964.jpeg

49163DFE-EBE3-43BE-82A5-6A0C557DEE23.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I have done the "drip chili" or whatever it is before in my WSM. You basically smoke your grind in large chunks over your pot which catches the drippings. Once it's almost fully cooked you add it to the pot with all of your liquids and seasonings and veggies or whatever and break it up, then cook. You can leave the lid off for a bit and some smoke will get in. Personally, it was more smoke than I'd prefer in my chili.

Now, SOMETIMES when I make a chili that is half-grind half-chunks, or a beef stew, I'll part my roast I use for the chunks into 3-4"-ish chunks and cool-smoke them for a little bit before cutting them up and browning on the stove. That gets just a hint of smoke into your chili or stew that is perfect. 

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Hook 'Em 1

I see OTT (over the top) chili popping up pretty frequently in Kamado groups now. You might try that search term. They put all the other ingredients in a pot and put a rack over it, make a giant meatball out of the meat and smoke it for a while, so the drippings fall into the pot. Then crumble the meat into the pot and continue to simmer as needed, put a lid on if too much smoke taste at that point (or finish simmer on stove).

One tradeoff I've recently explored with fine-grind chili is not browning the meat, but going straight into the liquid with the raw meat.  You get a more consistent gravy. 

It's definitely more appropriate for something akin to an enchilada sauce or chili dog topping.  I'm not sure if the lack of browning REALLY affects the flavor.  (It probably does.)  Smoking a giant meatball sounds like a pretty interesting idea, although it's probably not "browning" so much as a different flavor.

On 12/17/2022 at 1:26 PM, jimmyjazz said:

One tradeoff I've recently explored with fine-grind chili is not browning the meat, but going straight into the liquid with the raw meat.  You get a more consistent gravy. 

It's definitely more appropriate for something akin to an enchilada sauce or chili dog topping.  I'm not sure if the lack of browning REALLY affects the flavor.  (It probably does.)  Smoking a giant meatball sounds like a pretty interesting idea, although it's probably not "browning" so much as a different flavor.

If I do fine grind I try to leave it in decent sized chunks when browning and cooking, then break it up more toward the end if it needs it. Have never tried it raw like that, but sounds interesting. 

26 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

If I do fine grind I try to leave it in decent sized chunks when browning and cooking, then break it up more toward the end if it needs it. Have never tried it raw like that, but sounds interesting. 

I've mixed the two -- brown half, add the other half with the liquid.  Or, brown diced beef and add fine grind with the liquid.  That just doesn't work so well on a chili dog, etc. (but that's all my kids, I don't eat that shit).

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/19/2022 at 9:12 AM, jimmyjazz said:

I've mixed the two -- brown half, add the other half with the liquid.  Or, brown diced beef and add fine grind with the liquid.  That just doesn't work so well on a chili dog, etc. (but that's all my kids, I don't eat that shit).

you don't eat chilidogs?

Girl Known as 'Side-Eyeing Chloe' Selling Famous Meme as NFT ...

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I ate my last hot dog as a teenager.  I'm not putting that shit in my body.

You know they make fancy ass wieners and sausages these days with wagyu beef and duroc pork. But you’re showing your privilege; folks take their protein for granted. It’s all meat. Nature eats the guts first as they are the most nutrient rich.
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Made this last night.  Totally forgot the masa harina...

https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/west-texas-chili-recipe

No worries as long as you still got the consistency you wanted.  I actually don't like using masa at all, I can always taste it in the final product and I don't like it.  With a recipe like this, I'd just cook it down to the consistency I want, over time, rather than using masa as a thickener.

As a side note, one of the benefits of using reconstituted chile peppers, is that the skin acts as a natural thickening agent during the cook.  

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, utee94 said:

No worries as long as you still got the consistency you wanted.  I actually don't like using masa at all, I can always taste it in the final product and I don't like it.  With a recipe like this, I'd just cook it down to the consistency I want, over time, rather than using masa as a thickener.

As a side note, one of the benefits of using reconstituted chile peppers, is that the skin acts as a natural thickening agent during the cook.  

Yeah. I don’t really see the need for thickeners, whether your are using powder or reconstituted that is the thickening agent.

Y'all motherfuckers got me glitched out and fixated on chili dogs with all that talk. We had a couple lbs of ground beef in the fridge.  Nothing fancy, used some chili mix that someone had given me.  It was garbage.  Had to nearly double the amount the label suggested, and anticipated the need for some adjuncts so threw an onion and bell pepper into the pot before browning the meat.  Still needed some tweaking with paprika, garlic, onion, salt, and cumin. But ate well.  Not bad imo for a quick pull together.  Served two ways, chili dog with a frito pie side car. 

BAF03847-8-EAD-4131-9536-F5-F603-C68298.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

It’s a Christmas miracle!

My wife was taste testing that batch and told me it tasted like her grandfathers with that chili mix. Now I never met the man, he passed before we started dating, but best i can tell he knew his way around a kitchen and raised his family right. But I have seen his chili recipe. It includes celery. So steps were taken. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 1

On 12/23/2022 at 9:56 AM, utee94 said:

For some mild thickening help, along with subtle flavor, I toss my meat (I use hand-cubed Beef Shoulder and Pork Shoulder) in Corn Meal before frying it in small batches.  I also use Corn Oil.  

Just my $0.02...