Chili w/o beans

Dutch

Bozo dropping in to tell us all how the chili queens made their chili based on his stereotyped perceptions, and that the people posting authentic recipes are all wrong cause silly white people wear oakleys, is the most huffing your own farts white privilege shit I can think of for this thread. Nice work bozo.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

there is a historical record

It’s hardly a historical record. It’s a recipe sourced from the 40’s, in the early 70’s. Illiterate canaria-Spanish mestizo abuelas who grew up eating chili/comino stew with beans, wild turkey, antelope and whatever else they had weren’t checking with the Institute (founded 1968) for accuracy on the square in 1915.

6 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Bozo dropping in to tell us all how the chili queens made their chili based on his stereotyped perceptions, and that the people posting authentic recipes are all wrong cause silly white people wear oakleys, is the most huffing your own farts white privilege shit I can think of for this thread. Nice work bozo.  

Oh look Dr Freethinking is here to OWN me with FACTS and LOGIC. 

9 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Also - in my experience - Mexicans don't just randomly add beans into dishes. Which of carne guisada, menudo or pozole ever has beans in it. 

Of course not. I’m merely making the point that the idea Texas Chili can’t have pinto beans in it is mostly a promotional angle from the 50-60’s not to mention virtually impossible from a historical standpoint, and it’s fun to watch people turn into butthurt aggies when they hear otherwise. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

5 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Of course not. I’m merely making the point that the idea Texas Chili can’t have pinto beans in it is mostly a promotional angle from the 50-60’s not to mention virtually impossible from a historical standpoint, and it’s fun to watch people turn into butthurt aggies when they hear otherwise. 

I have to say your stance is compelling. I'm not sure if it's right and I don't think you're going to win anyone over here.

Edited by ztejas

59 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

It’s hardly a historical record. It’s a recipe sourced from the 40’s, in the early 70’s. Illiterate canaria-Spanish mestizo abuelas who grew up eating chili/comino stew with beans, wild turkey, antelope and whatever else they had weren’t checking with the Institute (founded 1968) for accuracy on the square in 1915.

OK.  My give a shit is low today.

33 minutes ago, elfenix said:

has anyone thought to ask @Armybrat and settle this?

What would I know about chili? 
I was born in Georgia and raised as an Army brat until arriving in Austin as a high school punk in 1959. 
But my 5th generation Texan SIL would slit her own throat before putting beans in her chili.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

What would I know about chili? 
I was born in Georgia and raised as an Army brat until arriving in Austin as a high school punk in 1959. 
But my 5th generation Texan SIL would slit her own throat before putting beans in her chili.

my mistake, thought one of the chili queens might have whispered some sweet nothings in your ear while you were on leave in 1895

• Hook 'Em 1

Disagree.  The San Antonio Chili Queens most definitely did not put beans in their Texas Red.  They served beans on the side for those customers who wanted beans.
They are the gold standard for that type of chili.

Agree. I have issue with beans cooked in chili not with chili eaten with beans. Have no issue with an accompanying pot of pintos. I also like chili on Mexican rice. Or cornbread.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 2/2/2023 at 2:41 PM, Jerry Callo said:

Dude was in survival mode.  If he needed to add kidney beans to keep the family alive until the minor ice apocalypse ends, then so be it.  I gave him rep for providing for his family and hiding the can of beans behind everything else in the picture.

I need pics of the wife before passing judgement 

Went to Victory Brewing Company outside Philly yesterday. Turns out they were holding a chili cook off between their brewers.

I was wearing a UT hat. I walked by a stand and the guy goes “oh all these have beans. I guess you shun this”. 

I told him I hope everyone enjoys their stew - I’ll make proper chili for the Super Bowl in a week. And then added a go Chiefs.*

One if the varieties was a cheesesteak chili and topped with cheese wiz. Another looked to have a gummy bear in it  

* I don’t give a shit about the game. But fuck eagles fans.  

Edited by The Ace of Aces
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

On 2/5/2023 at 5:09 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

Man, those bitches ate good. I wish I could try some of that antelope chili. Wild turkey would probably be fucking awesome.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/2/2023 at 9:27 PM, elfenix said:

kenji just can't help himself right at the end

Why is this guy using just chicken stock? Where is the shiner bock pour? His chucks were a tad too big. Burn your lips big. It was also super greasy. I think you put the rue in way before the end to help with that. Huh.

Wow, so this thread took a turn.

Look, of course "chili" is just meat and the gravy, (onions etc...). Somewhere along the line tomatoes became acceptable, so whatever. But no filler. And when I see a thread called "chili w/o beans," I find "w/o beans" to be redundant tbh. There's chili, and then there's chili WITH something else added. Or there's cowboy chili, or whatever other names you want to call chili that has had fillers added. Do I like Skyline Chili? No, but good on them for at least clarifying that it's not "chili" chili. We all love Frito pie, but that's no longer chili either, it's Frito pie. I think we can all agree with that, right? Okay, good...  

BUT.....

...to say the chili queens didn't add other stuff to their chili on occasion is just inaccurate. You can argue about beans all you want, but how about peas? Yes, there is mention of peas being put into chili by chili queens to stretch it out toward the end of the day/night. Chili and beans, in some instances, were at least eaten on the same plates served by chili queens as early as the 1880s or so, I've seen that. Mixed beforehand? That I have not seen, but I don't see why that would be strange in an effort to stretch it out, seeing it had even been done with peas. BUT once this happened, it was no longer just chili. It was chili and/with peas. Chili and/with beans. Chili and/with whatever (or whatever names they may have had for it).

Chili can be a starting point if you wish. You can throw chips and beans and cheese and noodles and potatoes and corn and rice and whatever else you want to into it after that, but it needs to be noted that it is no longer simply "chili." Names, words, they matter. Tradition matters.. The name "chili" should not be bastardized into meaning anything other than what it is, or we'll lose it. 

Edited by UncleBuck

Why is this guy using just chicken stock? Where is the shiner bock pour? His chucks were a tad too big. Burn your lips big. It was also super greasy. I think you put the rue in way before the end to help with that. Huh.

You didn’t watch thru to the very end. He says good bye…and then returns like Ferris Buehler to make cornbread and reveals he added beans to his pot of chili after all, because he likes beans in his chili.

My law firm is having a Super Bowl party tomorrow afternoon, which includes a chili cook-off.  I'm a contestant, and will make my usual batch of traditional chili con carne similar to what folks like jimmyjazz fire up, using reconstituted chiles, onions, garlic, beef stock, minimal spices, and a couple of my own add-ons.  I'm sure some others will include beans in theirs, and it's going to be hard for me to not be the asshole who comments on that.  There's even someone reportedly making vegetarian chili, which I believe should be grounds for termination.

8 minutes ago, South Austin said:

My law firm is having a Super Bowl party tomorrow afternoon, which includes a chili cook-off.  I'm a contestant, and will make my usual batch of traditional chili con carne similar to what folks like jimmyjazz fire up, using reconstituted chiles, onions, garlic, beef stock, minimal spices, and a couple of my own add-ons.  I'm sure some others will include beans in theirs, and it's going to be hard for me to not be the asshole who comments on that.  There's even someone reportedly making vegetarian chili, which I believe should be grounds for termination.

I work for a large multi-national company with a large number of non-Texans, and indeed, a lot of non-US-born employees in general.

Every so often at work, on the various teams I've been a part of, someone invariably suggests a chili cookoff.  And although there are usually one or two traditional entries of Texas red, including my own, inevitably someone making a "5-bean Vegetarian chili" will win the vote for best dish.  

Edited by utee94

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

I work for a large multi-national company with a large number of non-Texans, and indeed, a lot of non-US-born employees in general.

Every so often at work, on the various teams I've been a part of, someone invariably suggests a chili cookoff.  And although there are usually one or two traditional entries of Texas red, including my own, inevitably someone making a "5-bean Vegetarian chili" will win the vote for best dish.  

Yeah, I've resigned myself to not winning, even though I'm making legit chili and everyone else is so stupid.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

Yeah, there's no payoff arguing over the entries in a company "chili" cookoff.  Just make your authentic Texas Red, label it as such, maybe with a little subtitle "Contains no fillers like beans".  Add a smiley face if you must.

Oh, and make it extra nuclear hot, because fuck coworkers.

• Hook 'Em 1

Can I also object to this competition by allowing toppings to be served for the tastings?  Yeah, I know folks like cheese, chopped onions, and the like on their chili.  But that's like having a steak competition and serving them with bearnaise sauce or A-1.

I'm happy for you all to tell me to chill the fuck out.  But I've never participated in a chili cookoff of any kind, and I'm also a tad competitive. 

Man just cook your best chili and go for it. I competed in a big cookoff this past November and I worried about the same things. There were no rules against beans or using whole vegetables etc... I just did my 100% powdered recipe that I had settled on. My thought was that maybe mine will do better with less things for the judges to be picky about. Less beans/veggies to worry about being too overcooked/texture/not a consistent size/texture/appearance etc... Got 2nd place out of 69 entries.

Just cook your meat right, get your gravy right, and don't blow them away with spice, just let them know it's there. Don't try anything too different, stick to what you do. If you're the only one with a traditional entry, it'll stand out. Then it's all about the judges. 

The last chili cook off I did was at a former company’s Indianapolis office. I was there for a week and one of my folks invited me to his house to cook my Texas chili to enter a chili cook off they were having. I brought a simple set of my Pendery’s spices and chile powders. Went to the grocery for everything else. It was my usual accessible batch for back then with tomatoes and beer in it. It was certainly not hot but everyone that tried it made some comment that their ass would be on fire the next day.

Lots of entries. Many were simple pound of beef can of kidney beans can of tomato sauce packet of French’s Chili-o powder. There were a couple of Cincy style shitpots. One warned folks it was spicy as it had an onion in it. The winner was made with chicken and MANGO.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I tend to think our country over-criminalizes certain areas of conduct, but I also believe that people who make dishes they call "chicken chili" and "shrimp fajitas" should serve a minimum of five years in prison.

I can abide the chicken chili statement, but shrimp fajitas are damn good done right.