Chili w/o beans

Dutch

20 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That explains the deep brown color -- anchos weigh about 5X what guajillos weigh.  (I once weighed 3 anchos and they averaged 13 grams, and 5 guajillos averaged 2.5 grams, all stemmed & seeded.)

Yup. Made it really smokey, and really good. 

Made a pot today.  I don't really measure, just season to taste.  Probably the best chili I have made to date.  Lighting in the last pic makes it look brown, but was certainly red.

2 lbs ground chuck

1/2 lb. leftover brisket from J Bar M BBQ

about 15 dried, reconstituted and blended New Mexico chiles

1 large onion, two heaping tablespoons of minced garlic

1 large can of tomato sauce, 1 large can of crushed tomatoes, 1 small can of tomato paste

Chili powder, paprika, cumin, oregano, cayenne, salt and pepper

1/2 a cup of Devil's Backbone cerveza

1 serrano and 1 jalapeño in the pot, simmered for 4 hours

Shot of it when I got it all in the pot:

spacer.png

Ready to eat:

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

I think he cross-posted in another thread that it is indeed a cornbread waffle. 

And here I've been laying cornbread pancakes over my chili like an idiot.  Waffle is a superior medium (coming from the claimed inventor of the Thanksgiving dressing waffle).

• 2 weeks later...

This came out really, really well. 3rd or 4th time doing the rehydrated pepper method - basically following the San Antonio queens recipe. 

Went to Fiesta for the ingredients - there's one close by. I was selecting the prepackaged dried peppers when I realized they had these mfers in bulk... 

Except they didn't have any Chipotle. So I audibled and got some canned Chipotle in sauce and drained most of the sauce. Used dried guajillo and ancho.

20220203_071117.thumb.jpg.8a8c1a1737935a16b7492cbbc2333a7a.jpg

For the meat I went with ground beef this time. Previous efforts I've done chuck roast. 1.8 lbs - and everything was kind of picked through so I went with what they label "chili meat". 

Then I went to get pork loin - but the dude working the counter wasn't a butcher I guess and said he couldn't cut any of the pieces (they were all 3 pounds or more). So I said fuck it and got about a pound and a half of pork chops and just deboned them before cubing it. 

Did 2 medium onions instead of one. I don't think you can ever hardly put too much onion in a pot of anything. Normal on the garlic, oregano, paprika, maybe a little heavy on cumin (toasted cumin seeds ground down). Well salted. I don't think I added any black pepper.

20220203_185122.thumb.jpg.ed1e5f060e626897a4ae15138acde3d5.jpg

20220204_221057.thumb.jpg.6c000bf60921ee9878187729a033768b.jpg20220204_221106.thumb.jpg.e9ee4383037e46a73f53d2bc85dfc120.jpg

Simmered maybe 3 or 4 hours. Didn't add much water at all - maybe 12 oz.

The texture is awesome. Makes me think I'll be doing at least some amount of ground beef moving forward.

Also - the spice level was fucking perfect and I didn't do anything to mess with it. Perfect meaning someone that doesn't eat spicy food would be a snotty, sweaty mess but real spice-lovers might want it knocked up a notch. They didn't have serranos (wtf Fiesta) so I got a couple habañeros just in case - as I've had to spice it up in the past. Had to make no such adjustments this time. 

I was wondering why it was so much spicier following a similar pepper mix and even cutting out arbols which I've added in the past. My theories are - the canned chipotles might be hotter than dried peppers (I doubt this), the bulk peppers might be hotter than the prepackaged (guessing this is the right answer) or ground beef vs. cubed beef does something to the spice level.

Oh yeah - frito pie. Also a chili taco I made.

20220205_221501.thumb.jpg.ed678754fc50955e7e7cf01e15444254.jpg20220205_215109.thumb.jpg.693b552d46c3b5ce7746e81367ec050d.jpg

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Snow Dog said:

Wassup, bitches.
Tolbert Men’s State on Saturday.
Maxdale, TX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Snow Dog said:

Booyah.

Ok, pics are not working?

Buggar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can't bump an important thread like this with gibberish.  Where are the pictures of chili?

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Austinvines said:

^

Ingredients pls.

Toast 4 ancho, 4 guajillo, and 3 chili de arbol and then soak in boiling water. Once soft, put chilies and about half the water in blender. 

Brown cubed pork belly and beef in batches. Sauté chopped onion and once brown add tomato paste and garlic. Add meats, pureed chilies, and beef broth.  Mine is cooking for several hours so I added more broth than if I only had an hour. I add a small can of chopped tomatoes, but I know others leave them out. I'm fine either way. Salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder to taste preference. Let simmer for several hours. 

First, thanks to all you folks that explained the rehydrated pepper method.  Found a legit mexican market here in SW Virginia and loaded up on bulk peppers.  Never going back to the old way...

On 1/20/2022 at 11:42 AM, Rip76 said:

Gonna make chili tonight.  (Stew meat chili)

It couldn't hurt to put the meat (pre-browning) in the smoker for about 20min. first huh?

On my last batch I smoked the meat for a good bit and also put my cast iron dutch oven back in the smoker for a while during the simmer.  It was definitely a different kind of thing, but it did really well with the heathens around here in a neighborhood chili cookoff.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...