Chili w/o beans

Dutch

Were that a chili event held by Sarah Lawrence grads I get it. All you McConnell grads should contact the Dean as well as every govt official to rescind the degree from any McConnell newyork grad that actually attends this.

Fucking kidney beans. Satans fucking bean. What an affront. Can’t even scrape up a pinto in New York. It well past time to stop the influx of New Yorkers flooding our state. What will you do when you child comes home from school wanting to put a bean in her chili? Are you prepared?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Winter storm about to hit Hou, had to make a pot of survival chili. Blended up the jalapeños and serranos, added them back for more heat. All in all, it was pretty damn tasty. My cornbread wasn’t fluffy enough, but also tasty 

3 lbs of chili meat, 1 lb of groun beef, some chorizo

tub of hot pico, 1 onion chopped

chili powder

quick chili starter spice

pepper

salt

garlic

can of rotel

can of tomato paste

5549BFE3-D103-4D36-B5D3-D3C9C659773D.jpeg

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 4

Winter storm about to hit Hou, had to make a pot of survival chili. Blended up the jalapeños and serranos, added them back for more heat. All in all, it was pretty damn tasty. My cornbread wasn’t fluffy enough, but also tasty 

3 lbs of chili meat, 1 lb of groun beef, some chorizo

tub of hot pico, 1 onion chopped

chili powder

quick chili starter spice

pepper

salt

garlic

can of rotel

can of tomato paste

8637357D-B970-4BF9-805A-A1726B9F25A8.jpeg

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Gunna throw on a pot this weekend maybe in preparations for a competition next month. Of course this weekend won't provide optimal chili weather, but chili is good pretty much any time anyway, right?

I've made chili in the dead of Texas summer.  Every time of the year is a good time to make chili.

• Hook 'Em 3

Regarding chiles -- rather than the bundled product from Bolner's, people should seek out local grocers like El Rancho Supermercado (my choice, on 183 @ Ohlen).  WAY less expensive for bulk peppers and certain other items.  Fiesta Mart has some bulk peppers too, but not as broad a selection.

o.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Regarding chiles -- rather than the bundled product from Bolner's, people should seek out local grocers like El Rancho Supermercado (my choice, on 183 @ Ohlen).  WAY less expensive for bulk peppers and certain other items.  Fiesta Mart has some bulk peppers too, but not as broad a selection.

o.jpg

Yah, definitely nothing like that near me. I just got in an order of two different chili powders and a couple of other spices from https://www.mildbillsspices.com/. Want to try it with the dried chiles at home one of these days. 

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

What are the proteins, and what's the full chile array?  I see New Mexico and ancho . . . are those dried chipotles?

No dried chipotles. ~4# venison (1# ground, 3# backstrap) Ancho, new mexico and guajillo (10, 5, and 5).  I reconstitute in warm water, and then blend the chilis with the venison stock in the vitamix, adding a bit of the chili water back in.  

• Hook 'Em 2

38bbdf1e-9606-497e-b32f-618b2cf6ed32_1.f0b7714c7b50fccdf181c92042d3b2b8.jpeg?odnHeight=612&odnWidth=612&odnBg=FFFFFF

this is perfect for the 2nd spice bomb or this 

i use the bolner's spices, quick, easy, cheap and tasty for 1st spice bomb. then season again after it simmers about 30 mins 

The Bolners stuff is great. We have a frito pie party every year, and I make about 20 lbs of meat worth of chili. And that’s what I use. Add tomato sauce and/or beer instead of water, and it’s a fantastic basic chili for bulk frito pies.

Shit, I told a buddy about it, and he won his church cook off last weekend, going away….and that’s what he used, with minimal embellishment.

It isn’t the best bowl of chili you’ve ever had, but it’s plenty good when you need something basic, easy, and quick.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Bolners is a lifesaver for us misplaced Texans back before the internet. I could pack a ton of it on trips home when I lived out west, some cans of chipotles, a bag of masa.

Their chili powder is a staple in my pantry.

I respect the hell out of using dried chilies and developing your own blends. In the rare times I do it I will toast them and grind rather than rehydrating. I believe the biggest bang for the buck with chili is using whole comino seeds, toasting and grinding fresh ground cumin. I find it addictive and love it in a variety of things besides chili.

• Hook 'Em 1

Bolners is a lifesaver for us misplaced Texans back before the internet. I could pack a ton of it on trips home when I lived out west, some cans of chipotles, a bag of masa.

Their chili powder is a staple in my pantry.

I respect the hell out of using dried chilies and developing your own blends. In the rare times I do it I will toast them and grind rather than rehydrating. I believe the biggest bang for the buck with chili is using whole comino seeds, toasting and grinding fresh ground cumin. I find it addictive and love it in a variety of things besides chili.

Love fresh toasted comino.
And, when they pack to move overseas, each of my kids takes a container of Bolner’s fajita seasoning and one of quick chili mix. Easy, portable tastes of home.
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, ftf82 said:

I really have nothing to add to this topic other than I had a frito chili pie at Billy's on Burnet today and the cook put the fritos on top of the chili and cheese, which at first pissed me off. But then I ate it and it was all good.

well thank god for forks and gravity

On 10/19/2022 at 9:57 PM, Texzilla58 said:

I respect the hell out of using dried chilies and developing your own blends.

This particular thread made me a wholesale convert. Jimmy's recipe on page 1 is basically the gospel to work from as a base, imo. The minimal amount of additional time invested is worth it in my view. But absolutely nothing against using powder without reservation.  I still hit mine with some at a point after the angels take their share.  I added some chipotle powder that I dug out in flight to that batch. One thing that using reconstituted chilies has done is fucked up my salt content.  For some reason that is really hard for me to get right, and I have been trending towards lower salt content recently.  

Edited by Anastasis

PSA:  here are some equivalents I've developed over time.  It gives a sense of the relative size of different peppers, and how to use powder if needed.  I wouldn't assume the pepper weights equal the powdered equivalent weights for fresh chiles (jalapeno, serrano), since those have to be dehydrated to grind powder, but this is pretty accurate for dried chiles (ancho, guajillo, chipotle, etc.).  In other words, the average stemmed and seeded ancho chile weighs 13 grams, and in that case, I did the measurement myself by averaging a half dozen peppers by weight.

1 jalapeno pepper 1 tsp jalapeno powder 2 grams
1 serrano pepper 1 tsp serrano powder 2.2 grams
1 ancho chile 4.5 tsp ancho powder 13 grams
1 guajillo chile 1 tsp guajillo powder 2.25 grams
1 New Mexico chile 1 tsp New Mexico chile powder 2.5 grams
1 Chile de Arbol 0.25 tsp Chile de Arbol powder 0.65 grams
1 chipotle pepper 1 tsp chipotle powder 2 grams

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Threw down on a pot this weekend trying to dial in a competition recipe, using some powders from Mild Bill's. 3lbs beef, half chuck/half flat, ground on a 7 plate and cooked in balls before breaking down later. The flat and chuck didn't have as much fat as I would have liked, and you could for sure taste a bit of the dryness. Thinking I'll just go back to all chuck, and maybe shorten my cook time a bit. The flavor, though, was pretty spot on. Maybe gunna tweak the heat a bit, but I was pleased with this one. 

(bigger chunks are about a bit larger than quarter-sized. The bowl is small (more like a salsa bowl) and spoon not very big either, so makes the chunks look bigger than they are. Dunno why, but I always grab that bowl to test out the chili)

unnamed (1).jpg

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Hook 'Em 3

27 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

I go all chuck whether going ground or cubed. It the most reliable and tasty, with the perfect fat ratio.

I tried a half brisket/chuck burger once and I was impressed. Wanted to see what flavor I could get with that ratio in a chili. The flavor was improved vs. solid chuck, I just needed a more fatty chuck, probably. So yah, might just stick with all chuck. 

I've had great luck folding smoked brisket into chili, but I'm not sure about starting from raw.  Brisket needs to cook a long time, and it seems to me most braised brisket dishes cook longer than the typical couple of hours one might cook chili.

I guess I've used ground brisket for burgers, I honestly don't remember how it worked out, maybe when it's ground it helps tenderize and reduce the cook time and necessary final temperature.

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I've had great luck folding smoked brisket into chili, but I'm not sure about starting from raw.  Brisket needs to cook a long time, and it seems to me most braised brisket dishes cook longer than the typical couple of hours one might cook chili.

I guess I've used ground brisket for burgers, I honestly don't remember how it worked out, maybe when it's ground it helps tenderize and reduce the cook time and necessary final temperature.

Definitely cooks ground, which I did. It was almost as if it was overcooked.  Like I said, I think I needed more fat. If anything, with the meat I had, a ratio of 2lb chuck and 1lb flat would have been better. 

I love smoke, but not too much of it in my chili. But I do like a touch. When I’ve done chili in half inch chunks of chuck, I’ve cold smoked the chuck a bit before browning. Also do that with stew. A pleasant hint of smoke. 

4 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Two pounds of cubed venison ham steaks. 3 pounds ground venison with no added tallow. Two pounds venison breakfast sausage.a5a80f5b49dca208a439e67146fdcf13.jpg

Seeding the pods, and putting the heat to it around noon. Hoping for a 4-ish hour cook.

Looks promising.  Might I ask what spices you add, if any?

Looks promising.  Might I ask what spices you add, if any?

Basically the recipe below that someone shared way back in the day on shaggy. I sub fresh ingredients out for any powders I can. So, fresh finely chopped garlic, fresh finely chopped onion, white pepper, salt, cumin, cayenne. And of course the reconstituted chiles. And instead of the broths I use Shiner bock, Ziegen bock, Lone Star and occasionally drop in a generous pour of Buffalo Trace bourbon. For the first two hours of this larger batch I’ll probably float 4-5 jalapeños and 2-3 serranos; then as they start to break down and fall apart I’ll fish them out.
a81098e3465489f6cc003d21d8f2b1f1.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 4

Let us know the pepper counts.  I want to start using some chile de arbol but I don't have a good feel for how incendiary they are compared to, say, chipotle peppers.

22 Guajillos, 8 ancho and 14 arbol. I may not end up using it all, just depends on how the taste comes along as well as the color. I’ve been able to go more off of color than actual number of chiles in the concoction and it’s served me pretty well to this point.

22:8 sounds almost exactly right by my experiments.  I usually do 2 pounds protein, so if I multiply by 2/7, I get 6 guajillos and 2 ancho, which is real close to my realm.  It's the arbol I'm leery of, but I'm gonna try some soon.  Might start with a couple and add from there.  My last batch was super tasty but had very little heat using chipotles en adobo.  Very disappointing.  I didn't have any fresh peppers on hand to float, either.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2022 at 8:29 AM, UncleBuck said:

Threw down on a pot this weekend trying to dial in a competition recipe, using some powders from Mild Bill's. 3lbs beef, half chuck/half flat, ground on a 7 plate and cooked in balls before breaking down later. The flat and chuck didn't have as much fat as I would have liked, and you could for sure taste a bit of the dryness. Thinking I'll just go back to all chuck, and maybe shorten my cook time a bit. The flavor, though, was pretty spot on. Maybe gunna tweak the heat a bit, but I was pleased with this one. 

(bigger chunks are about a bit larger than quarter-sized. The bowl is small (more like a salsa bowl) and spoon not very big either, so makes the chunks look bigger than they are. Dunno why, but I always grab that bowl to test out the chili)

unnamed (1).jpg

#csb - your turn in chili, can be made small pot / batch. allows for a much longer simmer time

On 10/29/2022 at 1:58 AM, tx 3 putt said:

#csb - your turn in chili, can be made small pot / batch. allows for a much longer simmer time

Most competitors do a 2lbs chili, but I like 3lbs in case I have to add more heat at the end. Having 3lbs gives me a little more room for error. 

• Hook 'Em 2