Chili w/o beans

Dutch

On 10/19/2022 at 4:33 PM, ftf82 said:

I really have nothing to add to this topic other than I had a frito chili pie at Billy's on Burnet today and the cook put the fritos on top of the chili and cheese, which at first pissed me off. But then I ate it and it was all good.

That's like putting the gravy under the chicken fried steak. 

31 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

@jimmyjazz what's your current pepper ratio?  Guajillo, ancho, chiptole . . .

I'm going to do chili tomorrow and I'm thinking about making enough pepper slurry to make it though the season.

Well, I got off schedule somehow and started making chili without much heat, which will be rectified tomorrow.  I'm somewhere near 2 ancho and 8 guajillo per 2 lbs meat, but I'm gonna throw in a bunch of chipotles as well.  That should be a good balance of fruity (ancho), clean (guajillo) and smoky (chipotle).

Haven't figured out the exact numbers yet.  For what it's worth, 8:2 on guajillo to ancho is basically equal weights of each.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

@jimmyjazz what’s your recommendation on pepper ratio making a very lightly spicy batch. The lady doesn’t like spicy but sometimes that seems like it can lead to less flavor. Or last batch was good on flavor with 3 ancho, 4 guajillos for 2lbs of meat but it seemed like it took more of the seasonings than usual.

7 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

@jimmyjazz what’s your recommendation on pepper ratio making a very lightly spicy batch. The lady doesn’t like spicy but sometimes that seems like it can lead to less flavor. Or last batch was good on flavor with 3 ancho, 4 guajillos for 2lbs of meat but it seemed like it took more of the seasonings than usual.

Last batch I made was 1 ancho, 8 guajillo and 1 chipotle in adobo, with 2.25 lbs of chili grind.

It was not spicy at all.  I don't know how I got so askew, sometimes my note-taking seems as if it might be influenced by beer. 

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

@jimmyjazz what's your current pepper ratio?  Guajillo, ancho, chiptole . . .

I'm going to do chili tomorrow and I'm thinking about making enough pepper slurry to make it though the season.

Go big or go home!  Stocking up for the winter...I dig it.

I'm not JimmyJazz, but, I make a very rich, heavily spiced (but not hot) bowl of Texas Red.  For 3# of meat and a recipe that calls for 4c of Stock, my Pepper Mash consists of:  (3) fresh diced Serranos, (4) Anchos, and (6) Guajillos.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

For bare chipotles I use the Moritas from Pendery’s. They are heavily smoky with a soft raisiny consistency. I’ve not had luck with the dry golden kind that are leathery.

I like the Moritas in pots of beans, or sauces. I also have chipotle chile powder that I’m less enthused about; I would just use smoked paprika in its place. I buy the La Costena diced chipotle in adobo in a jar as I usually use them a tablespoon or two at a time and they are so convenient.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

For bare chipotles I use the Moritas from Pendery’s. They are heavily smoky with a soft raisiny consistency. I’ve not had luck with the dry golden kind that are leathery.

Chipotle mecos (as opposed to chipotle morita).  Smokier than moritas.  Same base pepper (red ripe jalapeno), but twice as long on the smoke.

I made a pot yesterday with 3 ancho, 8 guajillo, 4 chipotle mecos and a floated serrano -- about right on heat, but the ancho/guajillo ratio was wrong and there was too much smoke.  The anchos were on the small side and the guajillos were on the large side.  The whole thing was too red and too fruity, and lacked that raisin-like deep flavor of anchos.

I'm going to increase the anchos, reduce the chipotles, and add a couple of chiles de arbol.  Onward.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well done!  Details on the recipe?

Don't have the recipe on me, but used 3lb chili grind. I believe it was 9tb of chili powder in all. Five in the first dump, 4 in the second. Used Mild Bill's chili powders. Also used some bell pepper powder and serrano powder (also from Mild Bill's) to go along with all of the onion and garlic powder and cayenne. Also a tablespoon of smoked paprika in there somewhere. Somewhere around 22oz beef broth and 10oz chicken broth, 12oz tomato sauce. Some chicken and beef granules also. Basically a recipe for 2lb of meat , but stretched out to 3lbs so I have more to work with at the end if I need to tweak something. 

Soaked two jalapenos and a serrano in the first cook. Squeezed in some jalapeno juice at the end of the second cook to get a little more spice. 

Similar to winning recipes for 2lb of meat you'll find on the CASI site, just with some tweaking.

I nearly made a large screw-up. I mixed my spices late Thursday night and was dead tired. Was mixing my first batch and put somewhere around 4x the amount of cayenne that it called for, because I accidentally subbed cayenne for paprika, then when I got to the amount of cayenne, I put cayenne. Then I looked down at my paprika, and I hadn't taken the shaker off yet so that I could get in with my measuring spoon. That alerted me, so I dumped that batch. Close one

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Hook 'Em 1

Lynn Hejtmancik 1988 Terlingua recipe going down in cold, rainy, blustery Tulsa tonight.  Only change I make is adding two cans of Original Rotel with chili being about a dozen Guajillo, half dozen Ancho, and two morita chipotles.  Hejtmancik recipe has been my go-to recipe for years.  Unfortunately, no fresh jalapeño or serranos in the fridge to float tonight.

B71F5B80-E300-4448-B293-A9514698FFF0.thumb.jpeg.0606d14946c5188f75c8abfc3497aa70.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, 59 Burst said:

Can someone please remind me which processor you guys use for dried chilis. I scrolled through the thread but cannot find it. I remember it being pricey? 

I buy mine at whatever local grocery that specializes in Hispanic foods.  In Austin, El Rancho Mercado had excellent selection.  Morelos, Fiesta, others should have everything you need.

5 minutes ago, MalibuSheriff said:

I buy mine at whatever local grocery that specializes in Hispanic foods.  In Austin, El Rancho Mercado had excellent selection.  Morelos, Fiesta, others should have everything you need.

I thought @jimmyjazz recommended one, maybe Cusinart?

Fourth on the Vitamix. Just obliterates it to a finer emulsion than you could get with pre-packaged powders (which I again fully admit to using because where I live I don’t have easy access to whole dried chilis anyway).

Also the vitamix is an industrial grade tool that serves many purposes in the kitchen; very worthwhile investment.

I used to use a normal blender.  I had to filter the slurry through a fine wire mesh strainer to remove the last remaining bits of large debris.

Then we got the Vitamix because I think my wife wanted to make soups.  I don't believe she's ever made a single soup with it, but it does an incredible job of reducing the rehydrated peppers into liquid.  I got out the mesh strainer the first time, but there was nothing left for it to catch.

So +6 or whatever on the Vitamix.  They're expensive but effective.

And, allegedly, they can make soup, too.

37 minutes ago, ohchaucer said:

My wife did a butternut squash soup in it. It was crazy how it heated up.

I make a pretty solid butternut squash soup with the Vitamix using a Giada recipe. I cook down the squash, carrot, and onion for a little while, toss in some sage and other stuff, add some stock, purée it in the Vitamix, and let it simmer for 30 minutes or so.