Chili w/o beans

Dutch

6 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Fuck it....I am native of Austin Texas for 64 years and I like beans in my chili.

I don't mind chili without beans but I prefer beans in it. Oh and also cheese.

Now get off of my lawn while I yell at the clouds mother fuckers ! 

200.gif

• Like 1

On 2/18/2019 at 8:17 PM, hopkinsnhorns said:

3fd65a9b7445f660c0d1fef96b66e1d8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

had a version of this on the brunch menu once upon a time.  We used fresh fried corn torts instead of flour, more crunch. and the bottom was covered in pulled pork topped with chili or bbq sauce, fired onion on top.....tits

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2019 at 8:28 AM, Steamboat1874 said:

Fuck it....I am native of Austin Texas for 64 years and I like beans in my chili.

I don't mind chili without beans but I prefer beans in it. Oh and also cheese.

Now get off of my lawn while I yell at the clouds mother fuckers ! 

I'm 58 and agree.  Use beans about 50% of the times I make chili. It's superb either way.

What doesn't go in are large chunks of tomatoes. Just using examples from this page, it doesn't get millenialized with brown rice, spinach omelettes, tater tots, or kombucha.

Off my yard as well, kids. Put some extra cheese on it so it doesn't burn your tongues.

4 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Yeah I’m sure the abuelas selling chili in the square in San Antonio in 1880 using whatever scraps they had handy would NEVER use beans to stretch the meat.

I'm sure there's been a lot of gumbo made with opossum meat in the past too.

Edited by Hank_Hill

13 minutes ago, thestud said:

I've never reconstituted Chile peppers, going to do that this afternoon. After you guys have reconstituted them, do you blend them up into a paste or add them whole into the pot?

Put the reconstituted peppers and the water in which they simmered into a blender. That, along with some beef stock, will be your base.

Toast the dried chile peppers in a hot, dry skillet, or on a cookie sheet in a 225 oven, for a couple of minutes first.  Just until you begin to smell them.  It brings out their oils.

Then steep them in hot water to rehydrate, and put in a blender with only as much of the steeping water as it takes to blend them up really, really smooth.  If you use something like a Vitamix, blend for 45-60 seconds and it should be fine enough.  If you have a normal blender, you can strain through a strainer to make sure no large bits get through.

Then you can use that slurry/paste, plus some more of the steeping water if you like, plus stock, as your base.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

And I’ve really become a fan of reconstituted anchos in place of most/all of my chili powder. Just gives it that smoky richness that’s perfect.

23 hours ago, slorch said:

+1 on the anchos.   Started doing them about a year ago.  Just adds extra depth of flavor.

15 hours ago, deft said:

I just made my first batch using dried chilies. Guajillo and ancho 50/50. I just followed the recipes on the back of the bolners package. Pretty good. Pretty pretty good.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Yeah I’m sure the abuelas selling chili in the square in San Antonio in 1880 using whatever scraps they had handy would NEVER use beans to stretch the meat.

I've thought about that and pretty much agree.  The history of the dish would suggest anything MIGHT go, from beans to suet to horse meat.

But I'm not putting beans in mine.

• Like 1

I can handle a little adobo/chipotle in my chili but a little goes a long way.  If the first thing you taste is the smoky taste of the chipotles then you've overdone it.  

Also, I've done the reconstituted ancho and guajillo chile thing several times, but I can't tell enough of a difference for it to be worth the trouble so I stopped.  If you can tell the difference, go for it.

reconstituted takes up much more volume than chili powder.  i'd use at least a cup it not the whole blender.  try the heat level of the paste - if it's ok it doesn't really matter how much you put in.

Edited by elfenix

17 minutes ago, thestud said:

I grabbed the 2oz bag of ancho chile’s and the 8oz of guajillo. Cleaned and roasted 4 ancho’s and 6 guajillos at 400 for 3 minutes. Placed them in a recently boiled pot and let them steep for 30 minutes. Blended into a nice smooth paste.

I’m asking this late in the game as I’ve already done it, but do you substitute 1:1 measurements when using reconstituted chili’s as opposed to the powder? My recipe calls for 6 tbs chili powder for every 2 pounds of meat but that didn’t look like enough with the reconstituted mix so I ended up using 10. Did I just screw the pooch?

I think it's like pepper on a brisket -- some people use none, some use equal parts salt and pepper, and Wayne Mueller uses 9 parts pepper to one part salt.  It's cooking, not baking.  It will swing the flavor some but probably not so much you'll hate it.

For what it's worth, I use something like 4 anchos and 8 guajillos per 3 lb meat, which gets pretty close to equal weight of the 2 varieties of peppers.  (I think that's what I use, I have notes I check whenever I make chili.)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This is probably a bit of a bizarre thread to share this, but I’ve been bummed for a while about this and this is likely a thread where people might be aware of the young woman who died recently in a bike/car collision.  Jessica, who was the friendly skinny girl in glasses and funky clothes behind the bar at the Chili Parlour died about a week ago.  There was certainly more to her than her job at a famous chili and Tex Mex joint, but I think there are a few regulars who post here and she deserves to be remembered.

https://www.statesman.com/news/20190328/police-release-new-details-on-crash-that-killed-cyclist-in-east-austin

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the bump.
@jimmyjazz

I smoked a brisket and want to use some of the lean for chili. Thing is I’ve never cooked chili before and don’t know how. I tried googling but got a bunch of recipes that seemed like bull shit. I’m hoping someone here more experienced than me can help me make something decent out of what I have. What I have:

Brisket
Mixed ground chuck/sirloin
Poblano peppers
Hatch peppers
San Marzino can tomato’s
Telling us chili seasoning
White onion
Garlic
Salt
Pepper
Kidney/pinto beans
Shiner
Chicken stock

How do I salvage these and make something decent??

6 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Thanks for the bump.
@jimmyjazz

I smoked a brisket and want to use some of the lean for chili. Thing is I’ve never cooked chili before and don’t know how. I tried googling but got a bunch of recipes that seemed like bull shit. I’m hoping someone here more experienced than me can help me make something decent out of what I have. What I have:

Brisket
Mixed ground chuck/sirloin
Poblano peppers
Hatch peppers
San Marzino can tomato’s
Telling us chili seasoning
White onion
Garlic
Salt
Pepper
Kidney/pinto beans
Shiner
Chicken stock

How do I salvage these and make something decent??

Yeah you can turn that into Chili, you are going to need to lose the beans and it is not going to have any heat...