Its happening (stadium renovations)

RowdyVic

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Unpopular opinion: I think that building is kinda cool for what it is, an art exhibit.  The light patterns that come through the windows are interesting.

I don't think that's an unpopular opinion at all. That's one of the cool things about campus these days - we have an internationally known art piece that people legitimately travel to visit. 

11 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Nothing could be a bigger eyesore than Jester, they said. Land is so precious at UT, they said, that not one square foot can be wasted…

CFF6356-F-2-BB3-40-DA-8-CA0-0-C003350263

That uglyass “art museum” (I don’t care if it was designed by a renowned architect - it’s fugly) ruined a beautiful grove of trees where we used to tailgate.... with a view straight down to the Capitol

• Hook 'Em 4

11 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Nothing could be a bigger eyesore than Jester, they said. Land is so precious at UT, they said, that not one square foot can be wasted…

CFF6356-F-2-BB3-40-DA-8-CA0-0-C003350263

That uglyass “art museum” (I don’t care if it was designed by a renowned architect - it’s fugly) ruined a beautiful grove of trees where we used to tailgate.... with a view straight down to the Capitol

0C4228B5-33C0-4E35-884C-400AF372D35D.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

21 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

0C4228B5-33C0-4E35-884C-400AF372D35D.jpeg

It’s as pretty as the practice bubble, but, unlike the bubble, it will be there for generations.

And here we make fun of the Soviet architecture in Collie Station. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, 927 E. 41st said:

I'm amazed that the old University Junior High/ School of Social Work hasn't been torn down a long time ago. I think it sat empty for some time after it's UJH days. 

Even if they took rec sports and UJH would that be enough room?

Measuring on Google maps, looks like you'd have a space about 600 ft long (North-South) and 400-450ft wide. So yeah you should be able to fit 1 indoor plus 2 outdoor fields.

31 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I don't think the Johnson family or the Federal Government is gonna like us playing football on the LBJ Lawn

Yea, weirdly the feds have oversight over the parking lots next to the LBJ too. Can't build anything there without fed approval IIRC. 

I don't know the details (and I bet nobody still alive does), but the arrangement for the lawn/fountain and parking lot (at least the southern half) is some strange arrangement between the LBJ School/UT-Austin, the LBJ Foundation, and the Library itself/Federal NARA.  They typically work well with one another, like taking everything down after a football game so it's like nothing happened.  But I would imagine a permanent practice field would not go over well.  The Foundation (via the family) weighs more into this kinda shit than most people realize.  

Edited by Lobo

On 2/17/2022 at 2:05 PM, ButtFumble said:

did any of you live in the rooms that had a loft over the hallway in Jester West?

I would not be surprised if these days they did not pull the ladders down and even close those off

I was on the ground floor right at the parking lot that is now the garage and museum location

No. I lived on 14 for 2 years. Those lofts were cool, though. There were several areas of Jester that I liked. I just didn’t happen to live in one of them. There are a lot of places I wish I had explored. 

We did some climbs on Jester back in the late 70’s.  On the wall by the driveway leading to the basement there were two routes, The Amputee Crack which was a 25 foot thin 5.11 finger crack, and the Cripple Direct, a 5.10 face route that climbed the pattern of angled bricks that is part of the Jester Brick Art.  Sadly they installed a large solid wast bin that was fed waste directly from the cafeteria.  So Fuck Jester!

We also summited both towers by way of the stem-chimneys to the top.  Both ascents were terrorizing with no pro or ropes, and having to climb down after summiting.  Done only once due to nightmares.

I think all dorm residing undergrads should live underground!  Tear Jester down and replace it with something cool and fun!🤘

Edited by Domedriver
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 2/17/2022 at 3:05 PM, ButtFumble said:

did any of you live in the rooms that had a loft over the hallway in Jester West?

I would not be surprised if these days they did not pull the ladders down and even close those off

I was on the ground floor right at the parking lot that is now the garage and museum location

My buddy JJ from high school had one of those rooms; it didn’t have a window but he didn’t GAF…

15 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

No. I lived on 14 for 2 years. Those lofts were cool, though. There were several areas of Jester that I liked. I just didn’t happen to live in one of them. There are a lot of places I wish I had explored. 

my brother and his friends did a pretty extensive exploration of the tunnels under Jester and parts of the rest of campus they could get to (most was locked off)

they also stole a bowling ball from the student bowling lanes and threw it out of the top stairwell 3 times or so until it cracked in half.....I am 99.99% sure my brother still has half of that ball

a few years later the guy across the hall from me was friends with some guys on the 10th floor and we were up there at night a day or two before move out and they threw their broken TV out the window and it landed on the roof of the area with the piano outside of the 2nd floor dining area then we went in the basement of Jester and stole a TV that one of the janitors had down there to repair because it was only giving the single horizontal line on the screen and they threw out the same window then a friend had another one that was broken and they threw it too

after that we all hauled ass and they stayed somewhere else for the night

5 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

my brother and his friends did a pretty extensive exploration of the tunnels under Jester and parts of the rest of campus they could get to (most was locked off)

they also stole a bowling ball from the student bowling lanes and threw it out of the top stairwell 3 times or so until it cracked in half.....I am 99.99% sure my brother still has half of that ball

My sophomore year, my neighbors’ window opened. We threw many different things out over the course of the year. The windows tilted open, so we couldn’t throw anything as large as a TV, but we also threw out a bowling ball. Ours exploded on the first drop. 

A racquetball bounced back about halfway up the building. Probably the coolest thing was a 3 liter soda bottle filled with water. It landed on its side, blew the cap off, and rocketed across the courtyard with a jet of water propelling it. When we threw something potentially lethal, we would send someone down with a light to signal up that it was clear to drop(pre-cellphone days). Lots of fun. 

5 east sophmore year

cage in the basement was unlocked

so we lined the floor and walls of the wing running north from the elevators with mattresses

also removed the furniture and triple-layered the study room by the elevators

i don't know how we got away with it but the staff left it alone for a month

also, the athletic wing of east was empty on 4 and 5 in the mid-80s

there was a lottery to get a bed for many incoming freshmen, but those rooms were not available even though they were unlocked and unoccupied

friendly PSA:

for most of the 80s the females were 60% of the student body which means everyone scored above their punching weight in a talent-rich environment with legacies, no class ranking requirements and 1100 SAT scores

/we all got laid

jester, castillian and dobie have probably combined for at least 5 million unique sexual pairings in the last 50 years

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

38 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

My sophomore year, my neighbors’ window opened. We threw many different things out over the course of the year. The windows tilted open, so we couldn’t throw anything as large as a TV, but we also threw out a bowling ball. Ours exploded on the first drop. 

A racquetball bounced back about halfway up the building. Probably the coolest thing was a 3 liter soda bottle filled with water. It landed on its side, blew the cap off, and rocketed across the courtyard with a jet of water propelling it. When we threw something potentially lethal, we would send someone down with a light to signal up that it was clear to drop(pre-cellphone days). Lots of fun. 

my brother and his friends had someone down there on the ground to signal also

the 3 liter sounds pretty cool

with the TV that window tilted also I can't remember if they undid something to make it open a bit more, but they had to life the TV up and slide it up between the tilted open part and the lower window and then rotate it over and out.....it was a big ass metal box TV...the next two were smaller

I kept laughing thinking about the person on the floor looking out over the roof of the piano area where the TVs landed having the shit scared out of them, but I think that window might have been a window in the top of the piano area

my brother and his friends also lived on the ground floor and got tired of people banging on their windows to let them in the fire escape door after Jester officials would lock it so a friend of his took a sledge hammer and bashed the shit out of the door jam so they could not lock that door.....it was all welded and brazed up a few years later when I lived in there....they had RAs that had a goal to not even stay in the dorm at night of at all possible and that did not give a fuck about anything....I had an Eric the asshole that had been "RA of the year" the year before and another idiot that looked up to him I think specifically to get the ground floor back under control after the years my brother lived there and the RAs did not give a shit

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/17/2022 at 10:30 AM, Armybrat said:

I went to the weekend premiere of that as I was a student at the time. I didn't understand the appeal. Just tailgate inside of it. Fuck it. I had a badge to RLM when I was a student and me and my friends would regularly tailgate on the roof

31 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

for most of the 80s the females were 60% of the student body which means everyone scored above their punching weight in a talent-rich environment with legacies, no class ranking requirements and 1100 SAT scores

That’s interesting. I entered in 1979, and there was a matrix of class rankings and minimum required SAT scores. I was in the top 10% of my HS class, so my SAT was no problem. I can’t remember the cut-offs, but if you weren’t in the top 20% of your HS class, the required SAT was fairly high (considering how many kids those days had lead poisoning).

The male:female ration wasn’t quite as fertile as it was for you. I was future Surly material, so that didn’t slow me down one bit. 

On 2/15/2022 at 4:59 PM, 27-25 said:

Charlie Munger agrees.  Maybe we can get him to help pay for it.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2021/11/22/nightmare-of-the-windowless-dorm-room

Aren't there windows in the common areas? And don't the individual rooms have pretty good lighting? 

I don't think that's a nightmare at all. Imo, this is an interesting approach. People are going apeshit over it, though.

I like Ellsworth Kelly's Austin.

What I'm kinda worried about is moisture seeping into the widows where it joins the wall. If any black mold type stuff starts growing I hope they take care of it asap, and I can't imagine it won't grow. 

But, imo, it's weird stuff like this that makes a great university, and city. 

Good for UT and good for Austin for having this. Fuck the haters.

• Hook 'Em 1

So when we have a chance to add something that's weird and cool, we just say "nah, b/c all the weird and cool stuff was gone 15 years ago"?

I don't know if the word for that is shortsighted, or self-fulfilling, but what a strange way to basically guarantee that nothing new/weird/cool is ever added to the city or university. Just my opinion. 

• Hook 'Em 1