AMMO THREAD

Handcruser

17 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

This place has some.  I don't need any right now, but if you're desperate:

https://www.johnnys-sport-shop.com/collections/ammo-1

One of the guys on our lease is 1st cousins/brother type shit with the guy who bought Johnnys a few years ago (the current owner).  Early on in this ammo shortage he gave everyone in the group first dibs on a shipment of ammo that came in.  Should have known something was up when they were all ordering several thousand rounds each.   

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

One of the guys on our lease is 1st cousins/brother type shit with the guy who bought Johnnys a few years ago (the current owner).  Early on in this ammo shortage he gave everyone in the group first dibs on a shipment of ammo that came in.  Should have known something was up when they were all ordering several thousand rounds each.   

A buddy of mine dropped about $1k on ammo there yesterday. He said they had plenty in stock.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Said it’s still 3x a week, they are still getting lots of ammo in each shipment, but same guys keep grabbing it all up. At this point I would assume it’s being mostly just resold online for large profit.

That’s when the store needs to limit purchases to _# of boxes. That shit gets old real quickly. 

@Johnny Sack made a post earlier this week that led me to put together a spreadsheet of everything I have.   I’m not in dire straights, but definitely won’t be confused with a hoarder.  Need to get a box of .257 wby and a box of .243 and I’ll be good.  I think I can manage that pretty easily.  Biggest issue is I’m looking to upgrade glass on a few of them this year, and by the time it’s on and shot in, I’ll just be that much lower. So thinking I’m going to try and pick up a box of each caliber if/when I can find it.  I think I’ll largely be able to avoid the 2-300% markups on gunbroker etc. One thing I noticed is I lost a box of .30 carbine at some point in time.  wrt shotshells, I have enough to make a few rounds of clays when I get the bug, and enough for Teal season and a few duck hunts already. I’ll have to work on something for dove season and I’m missing quail this year due to work. The largest impact I can see is there will be less time behind the trigger this year for practice which sucks. 

note: I don’t dabble too much in short arms or ARs. Though I’ve put in an order with Larue so guess it’s time to start stacking some 5.56 if I ever see it. 

50 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

@Johnny Sack made a post earlier this week that led me to put together a spreadsheet of everything I have.   I’m not in dire straights, but definitely won’t be confused with a hoarder.  Need to get a box of .257 wby and a box of .243 and I’ll be good.  I think I can manage that pretty easily.  Biggest issue is I’m looking to upgrade glass on a few of them this year, and by the time it’s on and shot in, I’ll just be that much lower. So thinking I’m going to try and pick up a box of each caliber if/when I can find it.  I think I’ll largely be able to avoid the 2-300% markups on gunbroker etc. One thing I noticed is I lost a box of .30 carbine at some point in time.  wrt shotshells, I have enough to make a few rounds of clays when I get the bug, and enough for Teal season and a few duck hunts already. I’ll have to work on something for dove season and I’m missing quail this year due to work. The largest impact I can see is there will be less time behind the trigger this year for practice which sucks. 

note: I don’t dabble too much in short arms or ARs. Though I’ve put in an order with Larue so guess it’s time to start stacking some 5.56 if I ever see it. 

Just buy a little 5.56 and don't shoot much until prices drop.  They will.  Just takes time.

Found a few components and a box of hollow points traveling up to my dads on Friday.   I have several box of those win white box hp that I bought years ago at Academy for about $40 i think. and haven’t seen them for sale in a while.   I had read that they are Win rangers packed like that for LE sales but don’t know for sure.

810972E9-BFAD-45BF-B988-DD9016F61AD1.jpeg

Found a few components and a box of hollow points traveling up to my dads on Friday.   I have several box of those win white box hp that I bought years ago at Academy for about $40 i think. and haven’t seen them for sale in a while.   I had read that they are Win rangers packed like that for LE sales but don’t know for sure.

810972E9-BFAD-45BF-B988-DD9016F61AD1.thumb.jpeg.b0048cf47384be0b175b52df9f8f62b4.jpeg

Those winchesters in 9mm were classified as dangerous by many of buyers. I do t know if the .40’s had the same problem but I believe there was an effort to ha e Winchester recall them.

36 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

Those winchesters in 9mm were classified as dangerous by many of buyers. I do t know if the .40’s had the same problem but I believe there was an effort to ha e Winchester recall them.

Everything I’ve read on these is they have the same bullet as the ranger but without a nickel case and produced as part of US gov contract (maybe FBI???)  I’ve shot some a while back but still have several boxes stashed away.  Went ahead and bought these as they were about the same price as most other jhp rounds when you could find them.

I cleaned out my ammo locker of shit I had no intention of ever shooting or of shooting within the next year.  I did four FTF deals with fishing buddies locally and walked away with 3 boxes of 300BLK subsonic in trade as well as about $300 in cash. 

If anyone sees any .204 Ruger online in heavier weights - 40gr and above - please shoot me a DM or quote this post.  There's an old guy at my hunting lease who's down to skunk weed.  I found him some 32gr Remington ammo to whack varmints during the offseason.     

5 hours ago, bigshark88 said:

I cleaned out my ammo locker of shit I had no intention of ever shooting or of shooting within the next year.  I did four FTF deals with fishing buddies locally and walked away with 3 boxes of 300BLK subsonic in trade as well as about $300 in cash. 

If anyone sees any .204 Ruger online in heavier weights - 40gr and above - please shoot me a DM or quote this post.  There's an old guy at my hunting lease who's down to skunk weed.  I found him some 32gr Remington ammo to whack varmints during the offseason.     

How difficult is it to ship ammo.  I've seen .204 several times locally (Houston, long way from you)

2 hours ago, bigshark88 said:

Pretty sure it's a pain in the ass. You have to be damn sure that it goes ground. I had a client once air ship ammo. Got caught and got a fine of like $4500 from the FAA.

Not hard - just follow the rules and stay away from a "UPS Store" - Ship through real UPS center or from your corporates account.

UPS Ammo rules

2 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Amazing.  Wish I could go back in time (like every other shooter) and grab a few cases of $270/1000 delivered. I think I may have even bought a case for $220 once. 

I think I may have posted it upthread, but this order was placed less than 1 year ago and shipped for free with no tax.- (March 8th 2020 to be exact)

10 x

50 Round Box - 38 Special 158 Grain SWC HP Prvi Partizan Handgun Line Ammo - PPH38SH - $124.90 ($12.49 each)
SKU: PPH38SH - Box

1 x

1000 Round Case - 9mm Luger 115 Grain JHP Hollow Point Sellier Bellot Ammo - SB9C - $209.80
SKU: SB9C - case

5 x

50 Round Box - 357 Mag 125 Grain SJSP Soft Point Ammo by Fiocchi - 357C - $89.75 ($17.95 each)
SKU: Fio - 357C - box

4 x

50 Round Box - 327 Magnum Federal American Eagle 100 Grain Jacketed Soft Point Ammo - AE327 - $95.80 ($23.95 each)
SKU: AE327-50-100gr

2 x

50 Round Box - 45 Long Colt Federal American Eagle 225 grain Jacketed Soft Point Ammo - AE45LC - $67.90 ($33.95 each)
SKU: AE45LC

1 x

5000 Round Case - 22 LR Remington Thunderbolt 40 Grain Lead HV Bulk Pack Ammo - TB22B - $179.50
SKU: TB22B - case

5 x

50 Round Box - 22 Cal Win Magnum 50 Grain JHP Federal Game Shok Ammo - 757 - $49.75 ($9.95 each)
SKU: Fed - 757 - Box

1 x

500 Round Case - 223 Rem / 5.56x45 Steel Case Barnaul Mil-Spec 55 Grain Soft Point Ammo with Lacquer and Sealant - $114.90
SKU: BMS-22355SP-case

1 x

500 Round Case - 223 Rem Golden Bear 62 Grain Hollow Point Ammo AG223HP - $139.95
SKU: AG223HP

Well, I'm down about 2k rounds after last night.  Accidently left my truck unlocked and the fucking thieves checking door handles got lucky and snagged my range bag and some other shit.  Had 200 40SW, 150 9mm, 100+ 5.56, 200 22 mag, 1K+ 22LR, 40 30-30 and about 10 XDM mags and 4 Buckmark mag.  Hearing and eye protection too .

Shit!   I hate a thief!

• Rage+1 5

On 2/22/2021 at 3:55 PM, davidg said:

Well, I'm down about 2k rounds after last night.  Accidently left my truck unlocked and the fucking thieves checking door handles got lucky and snagged my range bag and some other shit.  Had 200 40SW, 150 9mm, 100+ 5.56, 200 22 mag, 1K+ 22LR, 40 30-30 and about 10 XDM mags and 4 Buckmark mag.  Hearing and eye protection too .

Shit!   I hate a thief!

this made my stomach hurt

Shit!   I hate a thief!

Nice cover story for when Joe and his lackeys come knocking....!

(Seriously, thieves are fucking scumbags in my book. Sorry that happened to you. Had the same thing happen to me last summer when I accidentally hit my key fob unlock. Shitbags took around 5k of my work gear, stuff that no pawn shop would take or any other way to sell, plus 2 pair of my brand new prescription sunglasses...maybe not chopping off of hands, but I’d be OK with a serious public flogging for caught offenders)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 2/22/2021 at 3:17 PM, Reagan1k said:

I think I may have posted it upthread, but this order was placed less than 1 year ago and shipped for free with no tax.- (March 8th 2020 to be exact)

10 x

50 Round Box - 38 Special 158 Grain SWC HP Prvi Partizan Handgun Line Ammo - PPH38SH - $124.90 ($12.49 each)
SKU: PPH38SH - Box

1 x

1000 Round Case - 9mm Luger 115 Grain JHP Hollow Point Sellier Bellot Ammo - SB9C - $209.80
SKU: SB9C - case

5 x

50 Round Box - 357 Mag 125 Grain SJSP Soft Point Ammo by Fiocchi - 357C - $89.75 ($17.95 each)
SKU: Fio - 357C - box

4 x

50 Round Box - 327 Magnum Federal American Eagle 100 Grain Jacketed Soft Point Ammo - AE327 - $95.80 ($23.95 each)
SKU: AE327-50-100gr

2 x

50 Round Box - 45 Long Colt Federal American Eagle 225 grain Jacketed Soft Point Ammo - AE45LC - $67.90 ($33.95 each)
SKU: AE45LC

1 x

5000 Round Case - 22 LR Remington Thunderbolt 40 Grain Lead HV Bulk Pack Ammo - TB22B - $179.50
SKU: TB22B - case

5 x

50 Round Box - 22 Cal Win Magnum 50 Grain JHP Federal Game Shok Ammo - 757 - $49.75 ($9.95 each)
SKU: Fed - 757 - Box

1 x

500 Round Case - 223 Rem / 5.56x45 Steel Case Barnaul Mil-Spec 55 Grain Soft Point Ammo with Lacquer and Sealant - $114.90
SKU: BMS-22355SP-case

1 x

500 Round Case - 223 Rem Golden Bear 62 Grain Hollow Point Ammo AG223HP - $139.95
SKU: AG223HP

@immamac this is why we need a fuck you +1 upvote reaction. 

oh and Reagan I’ll take as many .22LR and 45LC as you’ll sell at double your cost, FYI

@Bozo_Casanova  Yeah - I did a full inventory today and I'm happily shocked with what I amassed over the last several years.  I wish I had unrealized gains in my investment portfolio that match what I have in my ammo closet.  

I owe a lot to paying attention to Sam Gabbert at SG Ammo in his newsletters .  He was banging the drums from 2018-2020 to buy all you can whenever you can when this stuff hit decade + lows in prices.  He was pretty transparent and it paid off for me. 

• Hook 'Em 3

On 2/18/2021 at 8:40 PM, Reagan1k said:

Not hard - just follow the rules and stay away from a "UPS Store" - Ship through real UPS center or from your corporates account.

UPS Ammo rules

A week late, but +1 to this. I ship it all the time. Print my own label, tape the diamond on the box, take to the UPS customer center. Never had a problem.  

Edited by crimsonlonghorn

Speaking of shipping ammo. The big spring skeet shoot is in San Antonio in two weeks and they are low on ammo to sell. Usually they literally have cases and cases for purchase from every conceivable manufacturer, usually at prices lower than most retailers. Good thing I have my own stash. 

("Inaugural" means with the new name. Blaser didn't renew their sponsorship this year.)

1359223883_ScreenShot2021-02-26at10_14_55.thumb.png.c2c74571911413aba1324b2cc8a90a15.png

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Friday AM academy drop report:

60ish people in line at 830 at 183/Oak Knoll. No 22LR, very little 9mm, bought 2X100 230gr .45acp for $55/ea. 

St. John: abundant variety of small boxes 223REM, 5.56 green tips, 7.62 NATO and 7.62X39. No 9mm. Bought 2X50 CHP 22LR at $3.99/each

I'm going to have to make a drive-by on an Academy one morning and take a look at this boondoggle for myself.

I have this imagine in my mind of gangs of retirees leaving Whataburgers and coffee shops after they've hung out since 5am and heading en masse to go resume the gossip and political bitching in the Academy line.  Almost sounds like this has become a hobby for some, as I can't see how this has been sustained for so long if it wasn't. 

5 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

I'm going to have to make a drive-by on an Academy one morning and take a look at this boondoggle for myself.

I have this imagine in my mind of gangs of retirees leaving Whataburgers and coffee shops after they've hung out since 5am and heading en masse to go resume the gossip and political bitching in the Academy line.  Almost sounds like this has become a hobby for some, as I can't see how this has been sustained for so long if it wasn't. 

Nope,  mostly young white guys, 25-35 from what I have seen.  I have never waited in line but I have driven by the line before 8am to get some breakfast and then shown up between 8 and 8:30 to go in.  Everytime I've went in that early I have found something that I wanted.  My local Academy just puts all the ammo on a roll around shelf by one of the registers and once inside you line up at that one and make your selection before moving to the register.

• Hook 'Em 1