AMMO THREAD

Handcruser

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The .350 Legend supply at Walmart in Southern states being consistently good stems from the fact they don't appears to be inventorying calibers on a regional basis.

Straight wall cartridges are the only center fire loads legal for deer hunting in some parts of the Midwest and North East.  Very popular up there but not so much in the South and West. 

Looks like Walmart is shipping a fixed list of calibers to stores regardless of state rules and local demand.

If you're in TX and see a ton of 350 Legend and are scratching your head as to why there isn't any .300WM or .270 Win - there is likely some guy in Iowa doing the same - wondering why there are 25 boxes of .270 but not the .350 Legend he and his buddies need. 

Divided up my handgun ammo stash to split with my two sons that like to shoot.

The top pic is what they split between them - .22lr, .380, .38 special, .357 magnum, 9mm. (Already had given them all my .45acp, .44 magnum, and rifle ammo).

The bottom pic is what I kept (plus 14 boxes of .327 Federal magnum and a couple bricks of .22lr, plus some .22 magnum & shorts).

41A84A69-B762-4FA6-A215-2583A7C936D1.jpeg

B7CF76CB-AC24-4C59-B96F-27739B432DCB.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

Itching for a new pistol.  Wanting micro concealable. I own other 9mm, so have ammo.  Bought .380 ammo in the frenzy cause, maybe someday?  Price is key!

Have narrowed it down to Ruger LCP Max and Taurus GX4.  Have touched both and prefer the feel of the Ruger, but Ruger is $70 more.

What say Shaggy (or whatever you guys call yourselves)?

(Should have put this in the gun owners thread, FML)

Edited by Horn_Spanker
Retardation

Itching for a new pistol.  Wanting micro concealable. I own other 9mm, so have ammo.  Bought .380 ammo in the frenzy cause, maybe someday?  Price is key!
Have narrowed it down to Ruger LCP Max and Taurus GX4.  Have touched both and prefer the feel of the Ruger, but Ruger is $70 more.
What say Shaggy (or whatever you guys call yourselves)?

(Should have put this in the gun owners thread, FML)

So I sell guns and work at a range as well.

Between those, I’d probably go with the LCP max. I am not a fan of Ruger handguns or Taurus handguns (except the TX-22).

The cr920 is what I would get but that’s another $400. But it’s the tits.

Shotgunners - Reasonably good deal from SGAmmo.com - all things considered.

200 Round Case - 12 Gauge 2-3/4 Inch 1-1/8 Ounce Number 8 Shot Winchester Heavy Lead Load Ammo - USA128VP

$89.50 Each
40+ @ $79.50 Each

(Free Shipping over $200)

Sale Price! This was $119.50. Sale price valid until end of day Sunday May 22nd or while supplies last.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Shotgunners - Reasonably good deal from SGAmmo.com - all things considered.

200 Round Case - 12 Gauge 2-3/4 Inch 1-1/8 Ounce Number 8 Shot Winchester Heavy Lead Load Ammo - USA128VP

$89.50 Each
40+ @ $79.50 Each

(Free Shipping over $200)

Sale Price! This was $119.50. Sale price valid until end of day Sunday May 22nd or while supplies last.

$200 is just a couple of cases of shotgun shells and then shipping is free. Pretty hard to beat that. To his credit, that's his shipping charge all the time, even when there's not a sale.

Very highly recommend company for me - most stuff will ship the same day and get to Texas customers in just 1-2 days. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Very highly recommend company for me - most stuff will ship the same day and get to Texas customers in just 1-2 days. 

I've purchased a ton of stuff from him over the years and have never been disappointed in the price relative to the market or the service.

He usually has a lot of Sellier & Bellot in stock, which is often overlooked by casual US shooters and hunters even when there's no inventory of domestic brands.  It's quality ammunition.

4 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

$200 is just a couple of cases of shotgun shells and then shipping is free. Pretty hard to beat that. To his credit, that's his shipping charge all the time, even when there's not a sale.

image.png.2ee0d86c15f305e434739c2f44c40961.png

See what I mean?

What's the best way to dispose of some old ammo in Austin? Is it as easy as calling 311 and dropping some off at the police station? Has anyone ever done that?

For example: I have some 308 ammo that is not safe to fire. I just got lazy and didn't send it back to the manufacturer a couple years back. Anyhow...could anyone safely disassemble / use the cases? I don't feel comfortable doing something like that. Or, is there a safe place to destroy / recycle it in Austin?

I'm cleaning out / organizing my gun cleaning / ammo.... pretty sure I have some more shit (older 22lr, some 5.56, etc). If you had something you didn't want to shoot...what would you do with it?

2 hours ago, Izhmash said:

What's the best way to dispose of some old ammo in Austin? Is it as easy as calling 311 and dropping some off at the police station? Has anyone ever done that?

For example: I have some 308 ammo that is not safe to fire. I just got lazy and didn't send it back to the manufacturer a couple years back. Anyhow...could anyone safely disassemble / use the cases? I don't feel comfortable doing something like that. Or, is there a safe place to destroy / recycle it in Austin?

I'm cleaning out / organizing my gun cleaning / ammo.... pretty sure I have some more shit (older 22lr, some 5.56, etc). If you had something you didn't want to shoot...what would you do with it?

If it’s factory loaded like the 22, you’ll have people crawling over each other to get it. I’ve never messed with it but there are bullet pullers. I’m sure reloading guys would pull it apart and take the brass. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, davidg said:

How is it not safe to fire? Just being old isn’t a reason. Really corroded brass or bullet maybe but old is not a problem IMO.

Loaded hot is my suspicion. Fired 3 rounds and all three cracked the cases and blew gas out the sides of the Bolt action (where it isn’t supposed to go). Its unsafe…

Loaded hot is my suspicion. Fired 3 rounds and all three cracked the cases and blew gas out the sides of the Bolt action (where it isn’t supposed to go). Its unsafe…

Factory ammo? Send an email with lot numbers. You will likely get replacement ammo sent to you. They might want those back too.

Finally chiming in here, haven't done any shooting in a long time, but need to practice up a bit. I was a big fan of the Browning Hi Power, which just fit me perfectly and pointed like my index finger. Anybody seen any of the new Springfield versions around central Texas? I'd love to check one out.

Finally chiming in here, haven't done any shooting in a long time, but need to practice up a bit. I was a big fan of the Browning Hi Power, which just fit me perfectly and pointed like my index finger. Anybody seen any of the new Springfield versions around central Texas? I'd love to check one out.

No. Production issues I think. Everything is on allocation and they’re not on any lists. None.

On 5/24/2022 at 7:41 PM, DougO said:

Have you tried a CZ-75? That’s a good alternative and pretty easy to find. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Have you tried a CZ-75? That’s a good alternative and pretty easy to find. 

CZs are great guns. I just have a lot of nostalgia for the Hi Power. I don't really need another gun, but I don't have a 9mm for plinking at the moment. No huge hurry. I'll give my 40 some work.

1 hour ago, Horn_Spanker said:

Any opinions on the Hornady Black ammo?  My only choice for hollow points today at Academy.  Can't find any Youtube videos on the handgun Black rounds.

I love ‘em. Have them exclusively for my 300BO in subsonic. Excellent round.