AMMO THREAD

Handcruser

Any opinions on the Hornady Black ammo?  My only choice for hollow points today at Academy.  Can't find any Youtube videos on the handgun Black rounds.

Not a huge fan of their handgun ammo. I think it’s overpriced.

Hornady black for rifles is good to go.

I like the Winchester silvertips and sig v-crown for defensive loads in pistols.

Even ammo on gunbroker is drying up. Looking for some 6.8 western, 7-08 and 25-06 partition or berger ammo and its hard to find.
Gunbroker can be high but always had some marked up options.

Academy in cedar park for some 7-08 in. Went on the floor Monday.

I’ll check my shop tomorrow for 68W

25-06 is tough right now.

If you need ammo - start getting it now. Don’t bitch in 3 months when there is nothing on the shelves.

Y'all all need to come over to the dark side and start shooting a good old fashioned smoke pole. Black powder is still available if you know where to look, and assembly long as you can find round balls and powder you are good to go with a flintlock. It's not like most of you need multiple shots to take down a deer at a few hundred yards range. Under 100 yards and you can kill them them just as dead before having to worry too much about bullet drop and all that. As a bonus, you get an extra two weeks of hunting late in the season in most counties, antlerless permitted.

• Hook 'Em 1

Any opinions on the Hornady Black ammo?  My only choice for hollow points today at Academy.  Can't find any Youtube videos on the handgun Black rounds.

I shoot Hornady Precision Hunter ELDX 143gr in 6.5

Hornady Precision Hunter ELDX 162gr in 7mag

Winchester PowerPoint 150gr in .270

For some reason my Browning .270 does best with the Winchester, but it’s a semi and my 7mag and 6.5 are both bolt action so maybe there’s something to that.

Got lucky this weekend and stumbled upon a garage sale where a guy was moving from Alaska to Wyoming.  Because of Canada's assault weapon ban you can't transport .223/5.56 through Canada to the US.  He was selling his stash cheap.  $5 for a box of 20.  I scored 400 rounds for $100.  He limited buyers to 20 boxes in order to spread the wealth.  He must have had close to 5000 rounds on the table to sell. 

• Hook 'Em 5

I was lamenting in the darkest part of my spiritual winter season of low bullet supply.   I need some 160 grain Nosler Accubond 7mm mag bullets to build ammo for a September hunt in Idaho. 
That bullet has turned out to be a unicorn for me.  Anything close in factory ammo has been impossible to find, as well.  

Well lo and beho, I was rummaging around looking for collar stays as I prepped to go to a friend’s funeral and look what I found.  

An unexpected reversal of fortune. I am gruntled. 

8011F248-633B-46C4-861F-3051A3A5B71F.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 6

3 hours ago, deadshank said:

I was lamenting in the darkest part of my spiritual winter season of low bullet supply.   I need some 160 grain Nosler Accubond 7mm mag bullets to build ammo for a September hunt in Idaho. 
That bullet has turned out to be a unicorn for me.  Anything close in factory ammo has been impossible to find, as well.  

Well lo and beho, I was rummaging around looking for collar stays as I prepped to go to a friend’s funeral and look what I found.  

Maybe a sign from your friend.  You can think of him when you re-load and then shoot them.  Drink a toast to him after a successful hunt.

• Hook 'Em 3

13 hours ago, deadshank said:

Good to know I’m not the only one who keeps a stiff collar game on this forum. Take it as a direct sign from beyond and above. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/14/2022 at 10:02 AM, deadshank said:

I had a little set back with my 7mm mag.  Somehow the tip (just the tip) of the barrel got damaged and it is now slightly oblong.   The shot I took with it was a center cut headshot on a hog from prox 180 yards.  After that I cleaned it and stowed it in the gun vault. 

I took it out last weekend to tune it up and couldn’t hit the paper at 100, 50 or 25.  

It’s a 26” barrel and I’m going to see if I can get 1/2” cut off and re-crown the end.   

D6C45E5B-88C4-462E-B777-F3CCE35CEB17.jpeg

B6AA4D07-18CE-4307-9624-F12D45E1EAA6.jpeg

• Rage+1 1

FYI on those who want to keep reliable stashes of 5.56x45.

Reports are that the federal government is considering stopping Lake City from selling to public.

The  Feds own Lake City and lease it to an independent contractor (Olin) to make 5.55 green tip to supply governmental needs.  The feds allow the excess to go out for sale.  It’s a big chunk of the 5.56 fmj market and prohibiting the sale of surplus to civilians will dramatically drive down supply and increase price.  Their reason doesn’t need to be explained. 

Whether this goes through or not, ammo prices are not heading down in the foreseeable future, with this under consideration. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 6/17/2022 at 9:04 PM, Handcruser said:

Where are you? Let me send this to my gunsmith first.

I’m in Houston.  Going to see my gunsmith on Monday.  Taking this rifle for repair or re-barrel and a .243 donor in to transform it into something ridiculous and completely different.  

You can send the pics if you want   Thanks for the offer 

• 1 month later...

I got a cow elk tag this year. I fucked up and missed the deadline for the bull draw (I had a wrong date stored in my tiny brain).

Anyway, I’m surprised how hard it has been to find premium ammo with a good class 3 bullet. I like Federal Fusion, but it’s really more of a class 2 bullet. I’m obviously not a reloader.

I’ve got a .270 Win, and before anyone says I should get a .338 Win Mag, I’ll respond that I’m contemplating that if I can make a decision on the right rifle.  Besides, Jack O’Connor preferred his .270 for elk, so we all know it’s more than adequate with a good, well-placed bullet. All Surlyites place their bullets precisely.

I want to be prepared just in case I don’t get a new rifle, and after 3 unsuccessful stops, I found some 140 grain Sierra Tipped GameKings at Cabela’s. I was hoping for a wider selection of perhaps Federal TBT (or TBBC), Barnes TSX, or Swift Scirroco (or even A-Frame), but the only other class 3 round I could find were some Accubond and Remington Core-Lokt UB in 130 grain. I had negative experiences with the older Core-Lokt Remington was making in the 80s (lol, I hold grudges), so I passed. Besides, I was also hoping for 150 grain.

I guess my questions are if anyone else is having trouble finding boxed rounds in these bullets, and if any of you experts have any experience with any of these harder hitting bullets. Again, I may get a .338 Win Mag, so all of these bullets are still in play, with possible exception of the A-Frame (which would still be good on any bull in my future).

I also have some large mule deer on our new land which will push the limits for Fusions. I’ll at least use the new GameKings on the muleys.

Chuck Hawks has an interesting take on the Sierra GameKing in contrast to other bullets that are designed to retain close to 100% if their weight (like the A-Frame without being mentioned by name).

https://www.chuckhawks.com/sierra_hunting_bullets.htm

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
Long gotdam post.
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I got a cow elk tag this year. I fucked up and missed the deadline for the bull draw (I had a wrong date stored in my tiny brain).

Anyway, I’m surprised how hard it has been to find premium ammo with a good class 3 bullet. I like Federal Fusion, but it’s really more of a class 2 bullet. I’m obviously not a reloader.

I’ve got a .270 Win, and before anyone says I should get a .338 Win Mag, I’ll respond that I’m contemplating that if I can make a decision on the right rifle.  Besides, Jack O’Connor preferred his .270 for elk, so we all know it’s more than adequate with a good, well-placed bullet. All Surlyites place their bullets precisely.

I want to be prepared just in case I don’t get a new rifle, and after 3 unsuccessful stops, I found some 140 grain Sierra Tipped GameKings at Cabela’s. I was hoping for a wider selection of perhaps Federal TBT (or TBBC), Barnes TSX, or Swift Scirroco (or even A-Frame), but the only other class 3 round I could find were some Accubond and Remington Core-Lokt UB in 130 grain. I had negative experiences with the older Core-Lokt Remington was making in the 80s (lol, I hold grudges), so I passed. Besides, I was also hoping for 150 grain.

I guess my questions are if anyone else is having trouble finding boxed rounds in these bullets, and if any of you experts have any experience with any of these harder hitting bullets. Again, I may get a .338 Win Mag, so all of these bullets are still in play, with possible exception of the A-Frame (which would still be good on any bull in my future).

I also have some large mule deer on our new land which will push the limits for Fusions. I’ll at least use the new GameKings on the muleys.

Chuck Hawks has an interesting take on the Sierra GameKing in contrast to other bullets that are designed to retain close to 100% if their weight (like the A-Frame without being mentioned by name).

I was looking at SGammo.com earlier this morning and they do have some Hornady CX in stock (Monolithic 130gr.)

I've got to shoot some aoudad this year and will be letting some guests do the honors.  I don't like chasing those f'ers and want both shoulders broken so I'm looking at those to get more penetration than my normal Nosler BT Federal Premiums.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I had negative experiences with the older Core-Lokt Remington was making in the 80s (lol, I hold grudges), so I passed. Besides, I was also hoping for 150 grain.

You should let that particular grudge go.  There are some bullets that perform better, there are a whole list that perform worse.  

There is an outfit in Dallas that handloads for you to your spec.  Just send them what you want and they’ll make it. I recall they weren’t crazy expensive. I’ll see if I can find the name. 

Also, if you do decide to level up, why not a 300win?   Outside of Brown bear, it leaves you a lot more options to tailor to than a .338 imo. Or a 300wby? 
Eta: I believe a .270 is more than enough. 

Edited by fattyflattie
Because Jack
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

A well placed shot with a .270 is more than adequate to take most any large game in N.America.  You'll be fine.  Federal Premium (Nosler partition) makes a nice 150gr pill

Nosler 150gr

• Like 2

Mountain hunting is a lot more involved.  Glassing and stalking for hours, just to get that one shot.  Endurance and fitness are important.  Holding steady after climbing up an dover terrain can be humbling.  

I'll never forget a bull hunt in NM I was on.  Heart as racing so fast because I was breathing so hard, I couldn't even keep the animal in my scope it was dancing around so much and had to pass on what was a good shot.  Still pisses me off.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Reagan1k said:

I was looking at SGammo.com earlier this morning and they do have some Hornady CX in stock (Monolithic 130gr.)

I've got to shoot some aoudad this year and will be letting some guests do the honors.  I don't like chasing those f'ers and want both shoulders broken so I'm looking at those to get more penetration than my normal Nosler BT Federal Premiums.

Hornady…I’ll have to research that.

I had a lease on the Gillespie-Llano County with 4 other guys 30+ years ago. One guy got an aoudad two out of 4 years, but none of the rest of us could get a shot. There were some critters we called “wooly buggers” on a cliff side on the neighboring ranch because we could never get a good enough look at them to ID. Bastards wouldn’t venture onto our lease, either. 

28 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

You should let that particular grudge go.  There are some bullets that perform better, there are a whole list that perform worse.  

There is an outfit in Dallas that handloads for you to your spec.  Just send them what you want and they’ll make it. I recall they weren’t crazy expensive. I’ll see if I can find the name. 

Also, if you do decide to level up, why not a 300win?   Outside of Brown bear, it leaves you a lot more options to tailor to than a .338 imo. Or a 300wby? 
Eta: I believe a .270 is more than enough. 

With so many other options, I think I’ll hold onto my grudge. I also have this thing about Remington in general due to so many problems I’ve had with their crap .22 plinking ammo. My .270 is a Remington, though. One reason I haven’t pulled the trigger on a .338 is that I tend to overthink things. Thanks for adding the .300 to the mix, lol. 

19 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

A well placed shot with a .270 is more than adequate to take most any large game in N.America.  You'll be fine.  Federal Premium (Nosler partition) makes a nice 150gr pill

Nosler 150gr

I should’ve mentioned the granddaddy. I’ve been on a wait list at a local gun shop for any premium cartridge in that exact bullet, but I’m getting tired of waiting. I prefer to buy local, but I think I’ll order those. Sierra is known for their accuracy, so I’d be curious how SGK vs NP compare in my gun. I’ll probably end up with a half dozen to compare.

A dad of one of my daughter’s college soccer teammates guides elk hunts on horseback in Wyoming. I mentioned .270 to him once, and he said he switched to .270 when he turned 60 because his arthritic shoulders didn’t like his larger caliber guns (can’t recall which).

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I had a lease on the Gillespie-Llano County with 4 other guys 30+ years ago. One guy got an aoudad two out of 4 years, but none of the rest of us could get a shot. There were some critters we called “wooly buggers” on a cliff side on the neighboring ranch because we could never get a good enough look at them to ID. Bastards wouldn’t venture onto our lease, either. 

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Good.  They are a mess, stink, and can have adverse impact on Whitetail movements as they can bully them off feeders.

9 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Sierra is known for their accuracy, so I’d be curious how SGK vs NP compare in my gun.

This is important - buy a number of different brands and see what your gun "likes"

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

With so many other options, I think I’ll hold onto my grudge. I also have this thing about Remington in general due to so many problems I’ve had with their crap .22 plinking ammo. My .270 is a Remington, though. One reason I haven’t pulled the trigger on a .338 is that I tend to overthink things. Thanks for adding the .300 to the mix, lol. 

I don't blame you.  I shoot whatever my gun likes the best out of lead core, bonded bullets, or partitions.  When it cloverleafs with one, I buy a bunch of boxes and we're done (haven't gotten into handloading, yet).    I'm not opposed to the .338, just pointing out the .300 is a lot like the 270.  It can wear many, many hats.  But I've got a lot of less popular chamberings myself (6.5-06 anyone) so not against them at all.   

24 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I mentioned .270 to him once, and he said he switched to .270 when he turned 60 because his arthritic shoulders didn’t like his larger caliber guns (can’t recall which)

I own a bunch of magnum calibers (Wby fanboi) but have been trending smaller and smaller myself.  Becoming more recoil sensitive myself, I'd guess.   

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I own a bunch of magnum calibers (Wby fanboi) but have been trending smaller and smaller myself.  Becoming more recoil sensitive myself, I'd guess.   

Yep.  For WT, I've taken all mine over the last few years with my AR or 22-250 bolt gun.  Neck shots with PSP's are almost all 100% immediate efficacy.  

41 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Becoming more recoil sensitive myself, I'd guess.   

I’m 60+ myself, so I might compromise and move up to a .308 if I want something larger. I might not want to shoot a heavier recoil gun over the coming years.  I can also get something in an AR-10 platform (assuming scary-looking guns are not made illegal) with suppressor to reduce recoil a bit.

Note:  My apologies for helping take this ammo thread a bit into the hunting direction, but it’s all related.  

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I’m 60+ myself, so I might compromise and move up to a .308 if I want something larger. I might not want to shoot a heavier recoil gun over the coming years.  I can also get something in an AR-10 platform (assuming scary-looking guns are not made illegal) with suppressor to reduce recoil a bit.

Note:  My apologies for helping take this ammo thread a bit into the hunting direction, but it’s all related.  

Recoil sensitivity is a thing.  It goes hand in hand with the product and act.  100% I'd push shooters into smaller calibers that they can operate efficiently than be 'flinchy' with larger rounds that they can't shoot well.  See smaller/young shooters as a case in point.  This is why glass is so important...being able to accurately place rounds at distance and low-light.

The advances in modern ammunition efficacy gives shooters so many more options to use older rounds (like the .270).  It's what got me to finally switch my EDC back to a 9mm.

• Like 1

Weird timing, but I had just finished reading this Chuck Hawks article on elk rounds

https://chuckhawks.com/elk_cartridges.htm

when I got a call from the neighboring landowner asking if I had plans to hunt elk this year. He said he was new to elk hunting and had a .30-06, but he was thinking about going bigger. With this CH article fresh in my brain, along with my own prior knowledge and comments on this thread (thanks y’all), he thinks I’m some kind of an expert.

I just hope he doesn’t start asking a bunch of questions. 

I’ve helped 2-3 people prepping for their elk hunts this year. Christensen ridge line with carbon fiber barrel and mark 5 hd’s for the win.

300 win mag is what I’ve sold
270 - get the CX rounds out now. I have some in stock.

Good luck.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 8/12/2022 at 1:06 AM, ImissWallyPryor said:

If you can get your hands on the Remington Ultra Bonded, I highly recommend them.  They work perfectly.  I have killed a lot of zebras, wildebeest and gemsbok with them while culling in Africa.  They penetrate, expand and hold together.  I am an avid reloader but I buy every box of Ultra Bonded 30/06 that I find.  

The Sierra GameKing will also work magic on elk.  I have culled cows with that bullet and guided a few hunters who have had success with that bullet.  It is a quality product.  I load the ProHunter(same thing without the boat tail) 180 grain at 2850 fps.  It is my standard load while guiding.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Heres the dallas custom load place but Ive never used them, but heard good things
https://dallasreloads.com

I have used
https://choiceammunition.com
With great results
And even
https://doubletapammo.com
Which were great

Ive also regularly used ammoseek or just paid extra for premium hunting rounds thru gunbroker. You pay more but they have the good stuff usually.
I took my elk in northwest Montana with a 300 win mag with 165gr partitions. 1 round thru both lungs and he ran offa nit and stopped. Second in the shoulder and he dropped.
The guide was a friend and said any good round like nosler partition or accubond, sierra gamekings, berger vlds, barnes tsx or most other premium bullets would do the trick. No need for a 338 unless you plan on grizzlies one day. 270 with an at least 150 gr partition type bullet would be the absolute minimum Id rec. With shots around 200-250.
The guide recommended minimum .308 in his opinion.

Good luck and get in shape.
Worst part for me wasnt climbing up,the mountains but hiking down. Tore my knees up.

PM if ud like to chat.

• 2 weeks later...

Ammo prices are still pretty high, but seems like the shortages have pretty much resolved. Walked around an Academy the other day and they had everything you could want in stock. My Dad and brother both hunt with .243 and couldn't find that shit anywhere last year without ponying up $60 or more.  Academy had at least 5-6 boxes of 5 different brands when I was there, at a more normal price of $29.99 or thereabouts.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

yep.....

Walmart has been my go to for small caliber stuff.  They also have all of your staples like 3030, 3006, 270, 243, and even 6.5.   My academy hasn't been short on those, but poster upthread hunting .243 iirc.    Getting someone to the counter sometimes takes 45 mins tho.  

Edited by fattyflattie

I have a .17 Rem that is a coyote’s worst nightmare. It was way hard to find pre covid, I’m not sure it will ever get back to normal, especially when stuff as popular as the 22-250 is still hard to find. I have a 22-250 but have plenty of ammo for it so far. The .17 shoots flatter and faster than the 250 and has zero kick, great for not destroying the hide.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, RMac5 said:

I have a .17 Rem that is a coyote’s worst nightmare. It was way hard to find pre covid, I’m not sure it will ever get back to normal, especially when stuff as popular as the 22-250 is still hard to find. I have a 22-250 but have plenty of ammo for it so far. The .17 shoots flatter and faster than the 250 and has zero kick, great for not destroying the hide.

That’s an awesome little cartridge. 

• Hook 'Em 1