AMMO THREAD

Handcruser

3 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Other than the merely silly price for  .22lr, that’s incredibly asinine. If people are paying it, gun owners are just as dumb and gullible as politicians think. Maybe more. 

You charge a premium when you have Sugartits workin’ the booth. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Its not all or even most, but it’s enough.

More concerning is that it looks like one hell of a return on your money, if you were willing to sell at "market prices".  I'm certain we'll see it again in the future, after this one ends and is forgotten by many. 

• Hook 'Em 1

FWIW - Interesting newsletter from SG Ammo.  I had not thought of the dollar and copper prices on the commodity market.  Truly a convergence of all things that could drive prices to ridiculous levels.

Thank you for subscribing to the SGAmmo.com newsletter. If you have trouble viewing this email you can see the newsletter at this link:  Ammo Arrivals

This is just our second newsletter since June 2020, and I wish I had more inventory to advertise but it has been a crazy 365 days since the historic rush to buy ammo started a year ago. Many things that were once normal have changed in this time including price and availability of ammunition. We have been dealing with severe shortages of supply, demand that has been off the charts, countless price increases from most major manufacturers and importers, dramatic increases in copper prices, a US dollar that has lost substantial value vs the Euro, and shortages on primers and powder for the many ammo manufacturers that rely on 3rd party sources for these two key components needed to build ammo. It has been the 'perfect storm' to drive prices way up and make many popular types of ammo totally unavailable. All things considered I think we have some decent deals on some calibers at this time. Keep in mind almost all handgun and shotgun ammo remains extremely limited as do popular rifle calibers, if this newsletter does not promote calibers or types of ammo that you use then future newsletters will as supply allows. We recommend that you stay subscribed even if this product list does not meet your needs, as other products will come in time.  We thank you for your support of our family owned and operated business and will do our best to serve our clients well in these strange times, so please stay subscribed for future SGAmmo newsletters

Midway sent me a notification that some .243 had come in.  Bought a couple boxes since I have 3 of them.  Not exactly what I wanted but hopefully it will chart well. Will be hog/varmint use.  

It will be fine man. Your not dialing it in at 800 yards. I’m in the same boat but if it comes out of the barrel ok then I’m happy.

41 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

It will be fine man. Your not dialing it in at 800 yards. I’m in the same boat but if it comes out of the barrel ok then I’m happy.

I mean no, I’m not touching 800.  But one of them is a custom, heavy barreled tack driver and it makes me happy when they go all jagged hole for me.  Still, some ammo is much better than none. 

• Like 1

Midway sent me a notification that some .243 had come in.  Bought a couple boxes since I have 3 of them.  Not exactly what I wanted but hopefully it will chart well. Will be hog/varmint use.  
What grain are you shooting for deer out of that? Zero knowledge of the 243. May get one for the kiddo this fall and pass it on to his brother in a few years. Or may just tell him to buck up and shoot my old 270. Not sure.

4 minutes ago, markstanco said:
On 3/23/2021 at 5:11 PM, fattyflattie said:

What grain are you shooting for deer out of that? Zero knowledge of the 243. May get one for the kiddo this fall and pass it on to his brother in a few years. Or may just tell him to buck up and shoot my old 270. Not sure.

95 and 100’s.  The .243 is an amazingly versatile platform. You can shoot little bitty pills and it’s an awesome varmint round, and you can shoot 100’s at deer.    Don’t know how old/size of your kid but unless you are looking at bigger than whitetail, both very capable.  I’ve been trying to trend down in recoil for awhile, and have found it hard to put my newest .243 down. It’s a 60’s eta sako with some custom work (barrel, trigger, stock) and it’s just a joy to shoot.  I’ve got a little model 7 with some great wood I bought for my kids years ago that loves little 80 grainers.  It’s fine if you stick towards whitetail/speedgoats/etc.  If you dip into mulies, go 270. 

• Like 1

95 and 100’s.  The .243 is an amazingly versatile platform. You can shoot little bitty pills and it’s an awesome varmint round, and you can shoot 100’s at deer.    Don’t know how old/size of your kid but unless you are looking at bigger than whitetail, both very capable.  I’ve been trying to trend down in recoil for awhile, and have found it hard to put my newest .243 down. It’s a 60’s eta sako with some custom work (barrel, trigger, stock) and it’s just a joy to shoot.  I’ve got a little model 7 with some great wood I bought for my kids years ago that loves little 80 grainers.  It’s fine if you stick towards whitetail/speedgoats/etc.  If you dip into mulies, go 270. 

These are what perform best in mine. That’s them in order left to right, with the furthest two to the right being 150 gr 308s. So a 130 grain 270 would fall almost dead in between the last 4.
bd4b7c4a06bdcf0d86a5693ae68363d0.jpg
3f4f69efea13e7d8c50500fe6c70259c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was changing the oil on my truck this morning and my wife came outside said she saw on the neighborhood FB page where someone was asking why there was a line this morning at Academy. She said someone else posted that they were waiting for the the store to open at 9am to get ammo and that the line started building at 6:30 and to get there early if you wanted to get some.

My wife asked me if I needed to go buy some ammo or did I have enough stock.

My reply:

https://www.nicepng.com/png/detail/2-24510_trollface-deal-with-it-troll-face-png.png

21 hours ago, markstanco said:
On 3/23/2021 at 5:11 PM, fattyflattie said:

My first rifle was a .243 that I shot from six years old until the present day. It has had 100gr. Core-Lokts as the only ammunition shot through it the entire time. It's still my favorite gun I own. It's a deer and hog killing machine.

I still remember the first time CHIEF Jr. heard the Whiskey Meyer song Ballad of a Southern Man. The opening lines are: "My first rifle was a .243, that Poppa gave to Daddy and Daddy gave to me". Talk about wide eyes and a grin from ear to ear. Don't necessarily agree with the message of the song, but it came on the radio.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CHIEF said:

My first rifle was a .243 that I shot from six years old until the present day. It has had 100gr. Core-Lokts as the only ammunition shot through it the entire time. It's still my favorite gun I own. It's a deer and hog killing machine.

I still remember the first time CHIEF Jr. heard the Whiskey Meyer song Ballad of a Southern Man. The opening lines are: "My first rifle was a .243, that Poppa gave to Daddy and Daddy gave to me". Talk about wide eyes and a grin from ear to ear.

CHIEF

My dad got me a .222 as my first hunting rifle, but then quickly got me a .243. Great hunting rifle to which my dad borrows a lot. 

Mohawk 600 243 Win here.   100gr Cor-Lokts in a deers shoulder and they rarely take more than a few steps in my experience.    70gr Ballistic tips over 41.8grains of Varget hits coyotes really hard.

Edited by davidg
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

My dad got me a .222 as my first hunting rifle, but then quickly got me a .243. Great hunting rifle to which my dad borrows a lot. 

Love me a .222. I asked for permission on one awhile back and was denied.  Big time custom maple stock on a 60’s era Sako that had been gently massaged.  Someone bought it with 1 bid. That will be the very last time I ever ask permission.  I’m talking when I order my lifetime Perazzi it’ll be an ask for forgiveness deal. Done with permission. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Still like my wife’s grandpa’s Remington Model 51 .380. Fine quality little pistol that he carried in the Taylor area starting about 100 years ago. Even though the slide needs refinishing, it shoots better than I do. I have two extra reproduction magazines on back order.

77AB7ED2-4D56-4404-A711-A608C502B9A0.jpeg

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Still like my wife’s grandpa’s Remington Model 51 .380. Fine quality little pistol that he carried in the Taylor area starting about 100 years ago. Even though the slide needs refinishing, it shoots better than I do. I have two extra reproduction magazines on back order.

77AB7ED2-4D56-4404-A711-A608C502B9A0.jpeg

Looks perfectly fine the way it is, to me anyway. 

I love “character coloring” on old guns.

• Like 1