Michael Knight

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I finally finished the book, though I did the last couple hundred pages with an audiobook because I kept falling asleep. The whole thing is here:

https://youtu.be/vt6kbepaknU

Couple of bookfag questions because I always get distracted during audiobooks:

Spoiler

Who poisoned Paul? Did they identify anyone specifically?

Why was Gurney so convinced that Jessica betrayed Leto? He seemed to change his tune pretty quickly. 

Who killed Rabban? Was that scene detailed in the book?

Great book.  Can’t wait for part two of the film. I hope they don’t make it into a trilogy. 

Edited by Buzzrock

On 2/5/2022 at 9:23 AM, Buzzrock said:

Bookfag answers:

Spoiler

Paul 'poisoned' himself with the Water of Life. He was having less and less prescient effect from the spice so he needed to find a new high to see the future of the upcoming battle. He says to Chani and Jessica after he wakes: "One drop of it." - he succeeds at converting it, making him/confirming that he is, the Kwisatz Haderach

Gurney (and Hawat) blind acceptance of the planted rumor that Jessica was the betrayer has always been a little weak to me. It is addressed in the book, but feels weak: Piter mentions in his talk with the Baron (as they'r'e teaching Feyd) that they have planted this false story and that the planted source is so strong that it will be believed immediately and will be shocking enough/cause enough confusion to not be ignored or refuted. It is implied that it was accepted at face value by all except Leto and Paul, and obviously not shared with Jessica.

Rabban's killing is not shown in the book, Stilgar merely reports that "Rabban, too, is dead" as they report after the big battle that the Baron is dead and the Emperor is bottled up in his ship.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 2/5/2022 at 10:23 AM, Buzzrock said:

I finally finished the book, though I did the last couple hundred pages with an audiobook because I kept falling asleep. The whole thing is here:

https://youtu.be/vt6kbepaknU

Reveal hidden contents

Who poisoned Paul? Did they identify anyone specifically?

Why was Gurney so convinced that Jessica betrayed Leto? He seemed to change his tune pretty quickly. 

Who killed Rabban? Was that scene detailed in the book?

Great book.  Can’t wait for part two of the film. I hope they don’t make it into a trilogy. 

Do you have another working link? 

Finally saw on HBO Max. Never read books and didn’t watch 1984 version so I came in “clean.”  Overall I liked it. Probably biggest complaint was the mom whispering most of her lines so I couldn’t understand her. I even had to rewind and switch to subtitles for parts. Looking forward to the second part. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Frieda’s Boss said:

Finally saw on HBO Max. Never read books and didn’t watch 1984 version so I came in “clean.”  Overall I liked it. Probably biggest complaint was the mom whispering most of her lines so I couldn’t understand her. I even had to rewind and switch to subtitles for parts. Looking forward to the second part. 

there's gonna be a second part?

16 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Florence Pugh and Harry Styles rumored to be joining the cast. Script is done. DV says it’s going to be the biggest challenge of his career.

I love her so much

Also Harry Styles is a busy boy now - Dunkirk, his mid-credits scene from Eternals as Starfox (likely setting him up for future roles) and he has two more movies, in addition to the rumored Dune part 2.  Somewhere @Bama Chick is very happy. 

On 3/27/2022 at 8:59 PM, Buzzrock said:

Racking up the sound and visuals awards

Virtually everyone I know complained that there were so many lines uttered that were inaudible.  I agreed that it was one of the worst jobs of sound mixing I have ever heard. I saw it at the theater with high quality sound and then again at home.  Not better in either case.  The august style of the film overwhelmed the dialogue.  But, it still won Best Sound; so what do I know?

Virtually everyone I know complained that there were so many lines uttered that were inaudible.  I agreed that it was one of the worst jobs of sound mixing I have ever heard. I saw it at the theater with high quality sound and then again at home.  Not better in either case.  The august style of the film overwhelmed the dialogue.  But, it still won Best Sound; so what do I know?

Did you see Tenet?
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DFWTexEx said:

My system at home didn’t give me any issues hearing really any lines. Every Nolan movie is impossible to hear, this was not imo. Oscar Isaac’s yells basically every line he has once on Arakis 

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

Harry Styles has to be Feyd right?

I guess if Sting can kill it, Styles can take a swing. 

I wonder if they cast Pugh as Alia? I don’t think Pugh would sign on to be the scribe/narrator. There is precedent for Alia being portrayed by an older actress. See the Syfy mini-series.

Alia will always be a terrifying children of the corn type in my mind. Lynch nailed Alia in the 1984 film. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...